Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
What happened to the option to paste a YouTube link in the video submenu? I can't share sick tunes anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

You can already go to keyboards and add the SA keyboard which lets you use them in any app, technically.

:chanpop: My life just changed.

When I use those images, though, what do people *without* the keyboard installed see? Very few of my friends would understand :psyduck:, but :psyduck: is quite clear.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Grundulum posted:

:chanpop: My life just changed.

When I use those images, though, what do people *without* the keyboard installed see? Very few of my friends would understand :psyduck:, but :psyduck: is quite clear.

They see the gif as long as the receiving device puts attachments inline. It's great for iMessage/texts but some stuff like WhatsApp don't play nice with gifs because they insist on making it an attachment you have to tap to open.

I may not have the technical jargon right but experiment a bit, you'll get the idea.

E: its funny you say psyduck is quite clear cause for the longest time I thought the bill was part of the torso like panda bear shading.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 29, 2016

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I just played with it on Facebook, and the mobile app insists on placing the images/gifs at the end of the post as an album. Not what I had in mind, Zuckerberg. :argh:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Grundulum posted:

I just played with it on Facebook, and the mobile app insists on placing the images/gifs at the end of the post as an album. Not what I had in mind, Zuckerberg. :argh:
WhatsApp screwed me because I'd gotten so comfy with iMessage doing them correctly so it was kinda awkward to send someone a giant blown up first frame of the intended gif. Turns out the first frame of most the SA smilie gifs do not really convey the same meaning as the full loop...

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
This is what the sticker pack will fix, correct?

Second question: how much effort would it be to get the source files for that pack and strip it down to just the smilies I would regularly use? I'm sure there are lots of people here who need :razorback2:, :razorback:, and :razorfront:, but I really don't see myself ever using them.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hey how do I choose how the sidebar acts on may ipad? Sometimes it covers the thread and sometimes the screen displays them side by side.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

spanky the dolphin posted:

Hey how do I choose how the sidebar acts on may ipad? Sometimes it covers the thread and sometimes the screen displays them side by side.

On the settings tab, there's a "hide sidebar in landscape" option. When selected, the sidebar will slide in/out on left/right swipes. When deselected, it will sit there permanently and the thread will sit on the other 3/4 of the screen.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

ellspurs posted:

On the settings tab, there's a "hide sidebar in landscape" option. When selected, the sidebar will slide in/out on left/right swipes. When deselected, it will sit there permanently and the thread will sit on the other 3/4 of the screen.

Ah , I see now. It was actually deactivated already but needed to be switched on/off to work properly. Thanks!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Grundulum posted:

Second question: how much effort would it be to get the source files for that pack and strip it down to just the smilies I would regularly use? I'm sure there are lots of people here who need :razorback2:, :razorback:, and :razorfront:, but I really don't see myself ever using them.

https://github.com/TimothyJimothy/BroBot/tree/master/saemotes

These are the ones my discord bot uses, some of them are renamed in order to not conflict with Discord emotes and if you download it on windows or mac it'll rename them -emote- instead of :emote:

but otherwise that's all of them through june

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
The app's still not showing GBS for me, and restarting it doesn't help. How do I fix this?

e: I can open GBS threads from my bookmarks but it's not listed on in the 'Forums' section.

chippy fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 30, 2016

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

chippy posted:

The app's still not showing GBS for me, and restarting it doesn't help. How do I fix this?

e: I can open GBS threads from my bookmarks but it's not listed on in the 'Forums' section.

Pull down on the forums list to refresh it.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Drastic Actions posted:

Pull down on the forums list to refresh it.

I've tried that, it doesn't make GBS appear. To be honest it doesn't really seem like it does anything. I see the sort of 'shadow' that fades in as you pull down, then it fades out again when I release it but nothing much else seems to happen.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

chippy posted:

I've tried that, it doesn't make GBS appear. To be honest it doesn't really seem like it does anything. I see the sort of 'shadow' that fades in as you pull down, then it fades out again when I release it but nothing much else seems to happen.

Shadow? Are you sure you're not looking for this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571717

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

chippy posted:

Log out then back in? That clears the cache...

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Diabolik900 posted:

Shadow? Are you sure you're not looking for this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571717

I'm an idiot. Cheers.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
What does swipe in from the edge actually do, and how can I turn it the gently caress off?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Is there some way to add app specific rotation lock ala kindle or pocket?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Mad Wack posted:

That would be up to the individual apps to add.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

CaptainCaveman posted:

That would be up to the individual apps to add.

individual apps .... such as the one that is the subject of this thread, that the question was asking about?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Mad Wack posted:

I've requested that before. I don't want to always turn portrait lock off to watch a video in landscape. Opening the control center can be finicky.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Is Awful using a gigabyte of storage normal?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think it just caches everything, and you can uninstall/reinstall to clear it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

pseudorandom name posted:

I think it caches a fuckload of poo poo then randomly purges itself occasionally. If you don't like it just delete the app and reinstall, it'll clear the cache.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I don't want to type my password again.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

then let it be

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Mad Wack posted:

can we have word filtering? e.g. cloud to butt

No.

Grundulum posted:

I have an issue with how the app embeds tweets. The USPol thread contains many posts that are ill-advised tweets that later get taken down. See, for example, page 568 of this month's thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788694&perpage=40&pagenumber=568.

Deleted tweets don't embed properly (duh), but they also break the embedding of undeleted tweets on the same page. The text of the tweets loads, but the final product isn't converted into a tweet-looking box, nor are any images/videos properly loaded.

Edit: now with img!

I've noticed this too, but I don't want to promise anything about fixing it because it doesn't sound like the kind of thing we control. (I think we just unleash twitter's fine javascript products all over the posts view.)

engaged to be buried posted:

I know you can change the byob style sheet browsing on pc, but is that possible in the app?

Nope.

Kailtor posted:

Stickers working okay so far but some of the smaller smileys are pretty difficult to grab onto, because you don't know you've grabbed onto them since they are under your meaty goonthumb. I assume this is an iOS limitation and not something you can fiddle with?

:shrug: might have something to do with picking the medium size for everything and that means smaller ones get the shaft.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Man I went to go look at the todo list to see if the issue I was having was already reported and that's a pretty big list

Yeah, todo list is kind of a cruel joke. Problem is I really have no idea how to manage it. It's ok to skip it :)

quote:

Anyways, right now the issue I'm having is that after loading a few extra pages in a forum, sometimes Awful will attempt to load that many pages again on subsequent visits to the forum. Oftentimes the app will freeze while it tries loading everything, but still buffer any touch events you might be giving it so it loads everything simultaneously. Doing a pull to refresh will sometimes collapse it back down to one page temporarily, and logging out and back in resets the page counter. iphone se 3.17 but it happened to my old 5s as well

This sounds interesting, I'll have to look into it more to get some idea of what's going on. It does sound kinda familiar.

Twelve Elves posted:

What happened to the option to paste a YouTube link in the video submenu? I can't share sick tunes anymore.

Nothing intentional happened. What's an example of a link that doesn't work?

Grundulum posted:

The sticker pack will fix all problems, guaranteed.

It would not be much effort. Slowest part of the process for me was waiting for Xcode to load the sticker pack.

Chris Knight posted:

What does swipe in from the edge actually do, and how can I turn it the gently caress off?

Which edge?

Mad Wack posted:

It's not there already, but I can add it to the list!

"Normal" as in typical, yes. "Normal" as in expected behaviour, no.

In theory we try to prune the cache. In practice it fails and/or crashes a lot.

1password scrub

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

pokeyman posted:

1password scrub
You pay $36 a year for a password locker?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

I've noticed this too, but I don't want to promise anything about fixing it because it doesn't sound like the kind of thing we control. (I think we just unleash twitter's fine javascript products all over the posts view.)

We do. But that reminds me, I should go pull down the latest widgets.js and include it in the xcodeproj again, maybe Twitter made changes that broke our old-rear end version of that script.

pokeyman posted:

Yeah, todo list is kind of a cruel joke. Problem is I really have no idea how to manage it. It's ok to skip it :)

Personally I'd take everything on the original list and get rid of it. If it's popular people will suggest it again. Maybe preserve anything you see at a glace that would be nice to have?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

We do. But that reminds me, I should go pull down the latest widgets.js and include it in the xcodeproj again, maybe Twitter made changes that broke our old-rear end version of that script.

Personally I'd take everything on the original list and get rid of it. If it's popular people will suggest it again. Maybe preserve anything you see at a glace that would be nice to have?

Good ideas both. I mean, I don't mind having an endless todo list full of things that will never happen, but if it's cramping y'all's style I'm happy to change it up.

I'll ship out a beta in the next few hours, holler when you're done changes for a bit!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

Good ideas both. I mean, I don't mind having an endless todo list full of things that will never happen, but if it's cramping y'all's style I'm happy to change it up.

I'll ship out a beta in the next few hours, holler when you're done changes for a bit!

I fixed everything I plan to for now so go ahead when you're ready.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Soricidus posted:

individual apps .... such as the one that is the subject of this thread, that the question was asking about?

Yeah, sorry, lost track and when I replied I thought this was the general iOS apps thread.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

pokeyman posted:

In theory we try to prune the cache. In practice it fails and/or crashes a lot.

I've had it go up to 6 GB on my iPad before, though at least that explains why it keeps crashing I suppose. :v:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Bum the Sad posted:

You pay $36 a year for a password locker?

It was a one time purchase when I got it, they might have changed it.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

`Nemesis posted:

It was a one time purchase when I got it, they might have changed it.

You can still purchase a standalone license, but the link's buried at the bottom of the Pricing page.

Depressing Box fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 3, 2016

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs1wD1kudCs

I think the video paste thing was actually a YouTube issue, sorry Pokeyman. Cross it off the list!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Twelve Elves posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs1wD1kudCs

I think the video paste thing was actually a YouTube issue, sorry Pokeyman. Cross it off the list!

Can do!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

pokeyman posted:

The sticker pack will fix all problems, guaranteed.

It would not be much effort. Slowest part of the process for me was waiting for Xcode to load the sticker pack.

Thanks for the response(s).

For my next wish, convince Facebook to let me use my own custom sticker pack. If my friends can inflict Pusheen on me, I should get to respond with :unsmigghh:.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

https://github.com/TimothyJimothy/BroBot/tree/master/saemotes

These are the ones my discord bot uses, some of them are renamed in order to not conflict with Discord emotes and if you download it on windows or mac it'll rename them -emote- instead of :emote:

but otherwise that's all of them through june

And thank you for this link!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whoa, what's changed with the caching on the app! It's taking up over 700mb on my phone. It never used to get that big. iPhone 6s+, 10.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Are you on the beta?

• Locked thread