Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo, this show is awesome. The fact that it resounds with the recent attention to racial divides is more than gravy. It has been long awaiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

radlum posted:

Can someone remind me why Kilgrave had Jessica kill Reva?
He didn't, he told her to take care of her. :v:

It's not his fault Jessica has anger issues!

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Party Plane Jones posted:

4 from what I can tell: Burrell, Kima, Levy, and Cheese.

All of them were pretty much complete wastes of a bunch of good actors on the show. Faison is the only one with any real amount of screen time.

When Rosario Dawson was on screen it was like a breath of fresh air because she is by far a better actor than most of the cast.

Butchie as well, brief appearance at the beginning of episode 1. I almost want to call it a cameo.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Verisimilidude posted:

Also the actress who plays Mariah is loving terrible. She acts like someone playing a bad actress on purpose.

Alfred Woodard is a fantastic actress, actually. Safe to assume that everyone thing she's doing is by choice or by direction.

I think that this is the most "comic" of the various series, and feels pitched to 8th graders. You get some boobs, some curses, and some dark themes, but all the threatening moments are pitched so high that there's almost no real sense of danger.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 2, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nearing the end. Good series, but what's kind of annoying however is the ongoing shoot-outs. You'd figure that after a while certain parties would finally give it a rest. If he's that famous in that part of the series, the bulletproof thing would be well know by then, too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nearing the end. Good series, but what's kind of annoying however is the ongoing shoot-outs. You'd figure that after a while certain parties would finally give it a rest. If he's that famous in that part of the series, the bulletproof thing would be well know by then, too.

What would you suggest random mook #16 do otherwise? Luke's going around tossing people like an average person throwing clothes into a laundry hamper.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I honestly expected that tear gas canister grenade to have side effect on but then it just didn't go off. It just bounced off his chest like everything else. (ep6)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

RareAcumen posted:

What would you suggest random mook #16 do otherwise? Luke's going around tossing people like an average person throwing clothes into a laundry hamper.
Do what happened in the intro of one of the episodes. Scram.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Do what happened in the intro of one of the episodes. Scram.

I could see it being more a thing of myth and rumor - everyone's heard he's bulletproof, sure, but people don't really believe it and assume those stories must be exaggerated. Exploring Luke Cage as a myth in the making to the people of Harlem could have been a much more interesting use of the time spent on Diamondback.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Well at least the team up show should be good, Netflix is knocking it out of the park with the first half of each season.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Paddyo posted:

The final fight looked like it was coreographed by someone who had no idea what they were doing and just cribbed a Worldstar clip.

Paddyo posted:

If you're going to make a comic book show you have to go all-in and respect your audience. I kind of thought the MCU understood that by now.

Paddyo posted:

It's like they tried so hard to make it a black show that they forgot to make it a good show.

:raise:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
For some content, really liked it a lot, though I agree with people saying it was probably an episode or two more than it should have been.

As to that scene in the last episode - it was goofy and over the top and what the hell was going on with that costume and it was also a complete distraction from the important things that were going on, which were mariah and shades killing candace to erase the evidence of their framejob. In the same way that Luke Cage is this boogieman for Cottonmouth that he can't stop focusing on, Diamondback becomes the same thing for Luke Cage. You'll notice: the police are never focused on Diamondback until this very public fight, as other important things go on under their nose. That focus lets other people escape.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Paddyo posted:

It's like they tried so hard to make it a black show that they forgot to make it a good show.

hahahahahaha

WHY DO THEY GET A BET CHANNEL AND WE DON'T HAVE WHITE ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION?!?!?

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Maybe I'm a huge sperg but every time Luke throws a punch it takes me right out of the show, he's doing those silly limp wrist punches that would break your hand/wrist. Haven't seen it this bad since Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gordong Dongbay posted:

hahahahahaha

WHY DO THEY GET A BET CHANNEL AND WE DON'T HAVE WHITE ENTERTAINMENT TELEVISION?!?!?

why does a show that takes place in harlem have so many black people?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Love Crime posted:

Maybe I'm a huge sperg but every time Luke throws a punch it takes me right out of the show, he's doing those silly limp wrist punches that would break your hand/wrist.

He's superhuman, he doesn't have to have flawless form to put power behind his punches, and I don't think he's gonna break his unbreakable wrists.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Love Crime posted:

Maybe I'm a huge sperg but every time Luke throws a punch it takes me right out of the show, he's doing those silly limp wrist punches that would break your hand/wrist. Haven't seen it this bad since Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

He has unbreakable skin and is superhumanly strong the reason he slaps people and very lightly is because he doesnt want to cave in their skull.

It's kind of interesting because he explicitly goes out of his way to not kill anyone at all. Like him just lightly bopping people against the head and tossing them around is really rather realistic.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Love Crime posted:

The whole point is that he's superhumanly powerful. It's supposed to look like he's barely tapping people nonchalantly because even when barely trying he's knocking fools out left and right.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah through out the show he makes a point really to go out of his way to not murder anyone. It's almost like he has some sort of moral code against murdering people.

Actually, I can't remember if he even curses in the show.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
He literally slaps a few guys out of consciousness, that made me laugh.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Just realized the Barber Shop is on Malcolm X blvd. Not sure the connection their really trying to make with Luke Cage and Malcolm X though it's kind of there though.

Woden
May 6, 2006

tweet my meat posted:

He's superhuman, he doesn't have to have flawless form to put power behind his punches, and I don't think he's gonna break his unbreakable wrists.

He trained as a boxer as a kid then again in prison, he really should be able to throw a proper punch.

I never really noticed it, but then I wasn't looking for it either.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hollismason posted:

Actually, I can't remember if he even curses in the show.

If you look closely you'll notice a swear jar features in some scenes.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
"poo poo. ... oh sorry, Pop."

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009

Gordong Dongbay posted:

How are you not enjoying it? It's the best out of the three series they have produced yet. Maybe you aren't a fan of the blaxplotation feel?

It didn't have a exploitation feel, sweet Christmas. And if you title all the episodes after Gang Starr tracks, your poo poo better come hard. This show is soft. I really liked Shades though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

It didn't have a exploitation feel, sweet Christmas. And if you title all the episodes after Gang Starr tracks, your poo poo better come hard. This show is soft. I really liked Shades though.

I think that's fair, especially compared to JJ or the first half of DD season 2, which were hard as gently caress. Still loved the show though.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

tweet my meat posted:

He's doing it before he was superpowered, the whole time Squabbles is training him I'm thinking "you should really tell him to stop punching like that".

It's a nitpick, I know, but it's extremely silly to have a show about a guy whose only attack is punching people to throw punches like a 12 year old girl.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Love Crime posted:

He's doing it before he was superpowered, the whole time Squabbles is training him I'm thinking "you should really tell him to stop punching like that".

It's a nitpick, I know, but it's extremely silly to have a show about a guy whose only attack is punching people to throw punches like a 12 year old girl.

I think it's actually super interesting. Especially when you add the racial dynamic. He is basically black superman without the flying/lasers which makes him human and more relatable.

I feel like a lot of really interesting subtlety is getting lost on goons. A lot of time because they don't have the "black perspective". I'm not even done with the show yet so far I've seen hip-hop, civil rights, hosed up family dynamics, sexual assault on black women ( a big problem no one addresses), police brutality, housing/economic issues, incarceration, and Tuskegee experiment allusions all placed semi-realistically in a superhero show. It's amazing. Then in the middle of it, you have this guy's who overcame a bunch of crazy obstacles, just trying to mind his business and live his life.. while trying to do the right thing when he can. Like this is probably my favorite Netflix show ever.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 2, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'll just assume that young Diamondback trained him wrong as a joke, like Wimp Lo. :v:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Koalas March posted:

I think it's actually super interesting. Especially when you add the racial dynamic. He is basically black superman without the flying/lasers which makes him human and more relatable.

I feel like a lot of really interesting subtlety is getting lost on goons. A lot of time because they don't have the "black perspective". I'm not even done with the show yet so far I've seen hip-hop, civil rights, hosed up family dynamics, sexual assault on black women ( a big problem no one addresses), police brutality, housing/economic issues, incarceration, and Tuskegee experiment allusions all placed semi-realistically in a superhero show. It's amazing. Thrn in the middle of it, you have this guy's who overcame a bunch of crazy obstacles, just trying to mind his business anf love his life.. while trying to do the right thing when he can. Like this is probably my favorite Netflix show ever.

There's also not a lot of subtle statements. I mean Luke Cage punches a wall while the words Malcolm X and Lennox are projected onto his arm in the opening credits. The back story for the doctor at least in the comics was that he is the son of a literal Nazi. Season Spoilers I guess The whole episode with Misty having a therapy session with a psychologists after being attacked. Then there's the whole aspect of a black man trying to reintegrate into society after a prison sentence.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Koalas March posted:

I feel like a lot of really interesting subtlety is getting lost on goons. A lot of time because they don't have the "black perspective". I'm not even done with the show yet so far I've seen hip-hop, civil rights, hosed up family dynamics, sexual assault on black women ( a big problem no one addresses), police brutality, housing/economic issues, incarceration, and Tuskegee experiment allusions all placed semi-realistically in a superhero show. It's amazing. Thrn in the middle of it, you have this guy's who overcame a bunch of crazy obstacles, just trying to mind his business anf love his life.. while trying to do the right thing when he can. Like this is probably my favorite Netflix show ever.

All of the Netflix Marvel series have been quite a lot more grounded than the big superhero movies, which I feel is pretty refreshing. In the movies it's all about huge conflicts with big, obvious ramifications. Stuff like Luke Cage focuses more on a smaller community and how having someone with superpowers around affects them. Superheroes aren't usually part of a community, they're always off fighting aliens or stopping supervillains and stuff like that. Daredevil and Jessica and Luke are all much more focused on the people directly around them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Its almost like Diamondback is a pastiche of 1970s black villains in exploitation films of the 70s and people constantly point out how dumb he is.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 2, 2016

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Just finished. I liked it a lot. I like that it, like Jessica Jones was trying to do something different. I think if you're a fan of generic superhero saves the world kind of stuff you can get that from Arrow, or any of the DC stuff really. I like that Cage and JJ, and DD to a lesser extent tried to tackle social issues that aren't mainstream or relatable to most of the public. As a white guy, I don't know poo poo about Harlem, and don't have a black experience but I think it's cool that they have this hero who's aimed at that audience. I enjoyed the show and my only criticism it that I wish I knew more about Harlem, and black culture there to appreciate a lot of the references and such they made. I'd love to rewatch with annotations or Behind the Music style pop-ups and cut-in interviews with people talking about the history.

To me, power suit at the end was fine. I think the guy a few pages ago who pointed out how Diamondback's entire character was a throwback to 70s exploitation villains was spot on, and the suit was just an extension of that. Sure the fight didn't feel like it had any real drama because you knew Cage would win, but that's a criticism of any superhero story really, and we're so cynical as a culture that we root for awesome villains like the Joker in the Dark Knight to win so most people aren't happy regardless. It accomplished the story it was trying to do which was to have Luke Cage, beat down a criminal on the streets of Harlem, surrounded by people cheering him on. I love that the actor who played Diamondback was Dunn Purnsley in Boardwalk Empire because he brought that cruelty and sadism with him to this role and it worked well.

Shades and Mariah were both great, Rossi and Woodard were excellent in those roles. I liked Misty Knight as well. Colter was good but not breakout good and in comparison to the level of some of the other actors left a bit to be desired. Rosario Dawson has never been a great actress, but she's hotter than hell so I never mind seeing her show up and in this case they were going off the comic storyline so it was fine.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Its almost like Diamondback is a pastiche of 1970s black villains in exploitation films of the 70s and people constantly point out how dumb he is.

Diamondback is such a throwback and I like it. He pulls off the cheesy overacting villain way better than say, Captain Cold on Flash.

I actually like seeing him show up and murderize folks left and right. I'm only on episode 9 though.

Alfre is killing it, and I miss Cottonmouth. Misty Knight is the breakout star. I hope she shows up in Iron Fist. 😍

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fully admit this is from a white perspective, but while the show does tackle a lot of race issues it struck me as doing so from a pretty conservative position on them. The "absent fathers" thing in particular was a point that stuck out to me a lot on that front, largely because that's been a bullshit narrative for decades. Show also seemed to be touting respectability politics throughout. It acknowledges racism a lot of the time while still trying to foist some responsibility for it onto the black community.

Then there's, as previously mentioned, the rather tone-deaf scene of (1x10) folks at a rally for a boy beaten by police agreeing that what the police need is more, more powerful guns.

But again, that's just the read of a white dude.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

As a white guy, I don't know poo poo about Harlem, and don't have a black experience but I think it's cool that they have this hero who's aimed at that audience. I enjoyed the show and my only criticism it that I wish I knew more about Harlem, and black culture there to appreciate a lot of the references and such they made. I'd love to rewatch with annotations or Behind the Music style pop-ups and cut-in interviews with people talking about the history.

This is specifically about black women, and our experiences but we're covering a lot of stuff here that might interest you: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792470

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Fully admit this is from a white perspective, but while the show does tackle a lot of race issues it struck me as doing so from a pretty conservative position on them. The "absent fathers" thing in particular was a point that stuck out to me a lot on that front, largely because that's been a bullshit narrative for decades. Show also seemed to be touting respectability politics throughout. It acknowledges racism a lot of the time while still trying to foist some responsibility for it onto the black community.

Then there's, as previously mentioned, the rather tone-deaf scene of (1x10) folks at a rally for a boy beaten by police agreeing that what the police need is more, more powerful guns.

But again, that's just the read of a white dude.

It's not really a bullshit narrative what's a bullshit narrative by Conservatives is " Black men leave their women and this causes problems if they'd just stay a happy nuclear family we wouldnt have this problem". The narrative that isn't bullshit is " Black men are imprisoned at a greater rate and this causes problems within the community". The first blames the person and says "Oh this is the sole fault really of black men" the second statement puts that first statement in context and reflects on how our society imprisons black men at a disproportionate amount. A good example of this is Pops when he talks about going to prison and his relationship with his son.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 2, 2016

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hollismason posted:

It's not really a bullshit narrative what's a bullshit narrative by Conservatives is " Black men leave their women and this causes problems if they'd just stay a happy nuclear family we wouldnt have this problem". What this narrative is " Black men are imprisoned at a greater rate and this causes problems within the community". The first blames the person the second puts that statement in context and reflects on how our society imprisons black men at a disproportionate amount. A good example of this is Pops when he talks about going to prison and his relationship with his son.

Well that's sort of what I mean - the show felt like it was treating those statistics as a cause of these things rather than a correlation of the effects of racism a lot of the time.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The beginning of episode 10 is great and making me laugh my rear end off. Marvel / comic book scientists sure love doing reckless poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Hollismason posted:

It's not really a bullshit narrative what's a bullshit narrative by Conservatives is " Black men leave their women and this causes problems if they'd just stay a happy nuclear family we wouldnt have this problem". The narrative that isn't bullshit is " Black men are imprisoned at a greater rate and this causes problems within the community". The first blames the person and says "Oh this is the sole fault really of black men" the second statement puts that first statement in context and reflects on how our society imprisons black men at a disproportionate amount. A good example of this is Pops when he talks about going to prison and his relationship with his son.

I didn't really even think about this in the context of Luke and his father. It just made sense to me that as the son of a famous individual, getting sent to prison might be worthy of being disowned regardless of color.

Similarly Diamondback being the unwanted son from an affair made as much sense for him being disowned and never acknowledged as well. I never thought about the racial aspect aside from the thing the father was famous for was being a preacher which is really more of a "South" thing than a Black thing.

It's an interesting thing to think about. Arguably the strongest character in the show, Misty, had the best relationship with her father and that he wasn't an absentee parent is probably not a coincidence that she didn't end up in a life on the streets as many of the other characters did.