Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Man, I could tell that was in Toronto as soon as it started.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If that happened in New Jersey people would already be honking within 10 seconds.

Sometimes I think I should move some place where its more chill.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Slim Pickens posted:

Considering every other video I've seen of Brazilian cops, I'm surprised he didn't get smoked as soon as they pinned his bike.

No, you're thinking of DC.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shadowlz posted:

No, you're thinking of DC.

Nope, I'm definitely thinking of Brazilian cops.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Did someone say Sef Efriken cops?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n8KrdixvZc

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Man you can just tell that guys been riding forever. Iirc there's another couple of videos of him but I'm phone posting.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Don't be racist. The proper term is "Saffa."

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Zef side represent!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
What did those guys do that had a motorcycle cop shooting at them from the bike in the middle of a neighborhood? The article linked in the video 404s

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Jazzzzz posted:

What did those guys do that had a motorcycle cop shooting at them from the bike in the middle of a neighborhood? The article linked in the video 404s

Didn't pay off the right cops, most likely

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jazzzzz posted:

What did those guys do that had a motorcycle cop shooting at them from the bike in the middle of a neighborhood?

Stole a car in SA. It is not a happy place.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

https://youtu.be/qldcU7bCiCA

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
tires must have been cold

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
Huh.. For a second there it looked like a red Daytona 675.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Stole a car in SA. It is not a happy place.

Word. For people who have never heard:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_guard

quote:

South Africa has high unemployment rates and high crime rates, both violent and nonviolent - especially motor theft. Formal unemployment in South Africa is around 25%, and is expected to rise as the number of immigrants into South Africa vastly outweighs the opportunities in the formal sector. Individuals unable to find formal employment turn to car guarding as an alternative source of income. Except for the occasional article in the daily press, very little research has been done on the car guard industry in South Africa, and even less in other countries.[2]

In the late 1990s and early 2000s, self-employed car guards began to expand into sporting events, concerts, and other venues on an ad hoc basis. Several private businesses were set up that hire out vests and equipment to car guards for these events - however, they do not employ or regulate the car guards. Due to the fact that the job requires little overhead cost, this employment opportunity draws many of the 16% of South Africans employed in the informal sector.[3]

Demographics Edit
The majority of car guards are black or coloured men, with a median age of late twenties to early thirties. Many have been previously employed in the formal sector. However, they earn lower wages on average than low-income jobs in the formal sector (e.g. domestic workers or waiters). Most car guards have not completed secondary education, and find it difficult to find jobs in the formal sector due to a lack of skills or formal education. Studies find that a large proportion of car guards are immigrants from outside of South Africa, who have even more barriers to formal employment than low-income South Africans.[1]

Issues Edit
Because this process is almost completely unregulated, when one parks their car in an area with car guards, they have no guarantee of the guard's reliability. Many South Africans report being threatened by their car guards, or that the guards have often been old or infirm people who would have been unable to provide effective protection. Conversely, people working as car guards have no way of guaranteeing that they will get paid - many guards reporting being promised payment that they never receive.[3] In this transaction, neither customer nor guard has any way of holding the other accountable. While the customer could put themselves at risk, the position is also dangerous for the guard, with some guards reporting receiving threats from car thieves and vagrants. Some car guards report that they prefer to go to "white events" over "black events," saying that they make more money at white events.[3]

Future Edit
In Cape Town, the car guarding industry is becoming increasingly formalised, with the municipality increasingly employing people to collect money for parking instead of utilizing parking meters. McEwen and Leiman argue that the nature of the industry has changed from "a survival activity of the local homeless and unemployed to one often typified by relatively capable and qualified local and regional migrants."[1]

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
This is the country where a man invented an anti-carjacking device that includes a flamethrower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLhWzMOccTg

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feKbxlJhvdg

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jazzzzz posted:

This is the country where a man invented an anti-carjacking device that includes a flamethrower

I once met a south african who wasn't an utter bastard. True story.

He was an actor though, so maybe it doesn't count?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

[Video does not exist]

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Jazzzzz posted:

So is South Africa like a knockoff Australia without the sense of humor?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I assume South Africa is exactly like die antwoord videos

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

South Africa? You mean Neill Blomkamp's old set? I heard they had a robot problem or something.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
fekking prawns meng

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chpI77Hv6bk

"There's probably geese poop all over my pit bike."

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

https://player.vimeo.com/video/185256551

My group's excursion to Crete this past August. This is what made me go buy a motorcycle :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I assume South Africa is exactly like die antwoord videos

It's worse; there are nice people in die antwoord videos.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

I like the second clip where the polite carjacker waits until the woman has gotten into the car and closed the door before attacking.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This beauty just popped up on the import list. I'd snap it up if it were half that price, and live out my tiny GP dreams, at 1/4th the speed.

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1991-honda-cbr250rr-mc22/

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

If you're serious, dude that imported my boss' RS125 and his NSR50(s) quoted me $5,860 for an mc22 to their facility here in SoCal, I'm sure he could ship once it's received as well.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

If you're serious, dude that imported my boss' RS125 and his NSR50(s) quoted me $5,860 for an mc22 to their facility here in SoCal, I'm sure he could ship once it's received as well.

STRANGER DANGER! STRANGER DANGER! I need an adult!

I'm done buying bikes for a bit. I have a great one I'll hopefully daily for a year or more. Thanks for looking out, though! Earlier this year I'd have considered it pretty hard.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Coydog posted:

STRANGER DANGER! STRANGER DANGER! I need an adult!

I'm done buying bikes for a bit. I have a great one I'll hopefully daily for a year or more. Thanks for looking out, though! Earlier this year I'd have considered it pretty hard.

If you want to oogle the weird japanese poo poo that they have in stock currently, it's https://rmdmotors.com/bikes-for-sale/ their stock rotates quite frequently and every time I look it's different.

example: babbys first africa (single?)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm quoting this post because this is a serious thing I want to do someday and want to come back to it. A CBR250RR is in my dream stable.

Does he do European bikes too, or just Japanese? I want that Starck Aprilia.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I want that Starck Aprilia.

Wow there's actually one for sale here in the Netherlands, 1996, 22000km, 3700 euros. Pretty affordable.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

How much for an RS125?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

How much for an RS125?

I'd have to email him, but he's got contact forms on the site under the listings if you clicky. His receiving thing here is in Santa Ana, CA but he ships worldwide.

Sagebrush posted:

I'm quoting this post because this is a serious thing I want to do someday and want to come back to it. A CBR250RR is in my dream stable.

I think it's mainly Japanese as that's where their major export warehouse/whatever is. Maybe he picks up Euro things that roll through though. CBR250RR is also my current wet dream, and probably a bike that I wouldn't sell in 18 months like the rest.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sagebrush posted:

In the meantime try to find a cb-1 to hold you over

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Made me chuckle.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Thirty five thousand dollars?!

Is that not a farcical amount of money for anything?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^^ he's in NZ or something, so the dollar is like a little baby dollar, and H-Ds are even more overpriced outside of the USA

Why the hell would you do this to such a cool motorcycle??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You know that bike is owned by some IT nerd who values practicality over anything else, got a motorcycle because "it's smaller and cheaper than a car", picked an electric because he "cares about the environment" and never goes over 30mph on his commute to some cubicle farm.