Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So I'm exploring the PSN for some new indie titles to check out, and while picking up Abzu on sale, I've seen a few titles I don't recognize and that intrigue me. What's the goonpinion on the following:

The Bunker -- An FMV game?

Claire: Extended Edition -- I rather liked Lone Survivor, and this seems very similar, but the mixed reviews leave me cautious.

Four Sided Fantasy -- This looks like a pretty darn neat platformer with some heavy Braid vibes. I'm almost tempted to just grab it for its low price and take the risk, but is there any reason I should steer clear?

Hue: Pricier than Four-Side, but y'know it looks pretty as heck. Color-focused platforming sounds very novel.

Moon Hunters: I was eyeballing Hyperlight Drifter and I saw this and while I love the art, I'm not sure if this is some rougelike thing or if there's more here.

Heart and Slash: I get a big Megaman Legends vibe from its pixel graphics. Anyone played it to see if it runs smoothly?

Jotun Valhalla Edition: I love Vikings a hell of a lot, and the art style reminds me a lot of Banner Saga.

I heard bunker was good but its more movie than game. Moon hunters is cool but flawed in a way thats offputting after a while, and heart and slash is fun but shallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DOA5LR core fighters is discounted to 20 bucks for the next week-ish. Very tempting...

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Still not budging on Dead or Alive 5, they have too many dlc fighters to not release another version

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Americanos, good PS Plus deal for you if you want to renew/extend. Newegg has a year for 40 USD. Use this promo code: EMCFEEF33

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Still not budging on Dead or Alive 5, they have too many dlc fighters to not release another version

2 dlc characters is too many?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Ryoga posted:

2 dlc characters is too many?

There's more like seven or eight.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

There's 2 if you get the full game. I think you can buy 7 or 8 a la carte if you get core fighters. Then you can buy about five or six-hundred dollars worth of sexy, sexy costumes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I kinda wanna just play Mai

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

I've always though DoA was a pretty fun fighting game. I think the reversal stuff is cool. But it's almost impossible to play if anyone else is in the room because the tits and stuff are loaded on so crazy thick.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Guw posted:

I've always though DoA was a pretty fun fighting game. I think the reversal stuff is cool. But it's almost impossible to play if anyone else is in the room because the tits and stuff are loaded on so crazy thick.

wimp

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I need a new Rumble Roses.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Yeah you're right. I'm gonna put the breast physics on max and ask my fiancée to play

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you two might learn some things about your relationship

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

elf help book posted:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

...! posted:

There's more like seven or eight.

In Last Round there's only Mai and Naotora Li.

elf help book posted:

:same:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

elf help book posted:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
RR is the only wrasstlin game I've managed to get my head around the controls for.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's a konami IP, so perhaps it'll cameo in an MGS3 pachinko machine.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Motto posted:

That's a konami IP, so perhaps it'll cameo in an MGS3 pachinko machine.

At least it'd make sense for that one to have high impact sexual violence.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

half the DOA girls have wrestling moves in their repertoire anyway just do another spin-off series for joshi. put that poo poo on the worlds premier anime service steam and rake it in

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Drop
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/02/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-1042016/

a bastards tale
aragami
Atari Flashback Classics vol 1
Atari Flashback Classics vol 2
Dead Synchronicity Tomorrow Comes Today
Mafia III
Rogue Stormers
Space Hulk Ascension
Tropico 5 Complete Collection
Viking Squad
Warhammer end times Vermintide
Wheels of Aurelia

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

Tropico 5 Complete Collection

How's the game on console? I played a lot of Tropico 3 on PC...

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Oh man. Friday!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/games/2016/03/04/dragon-quest-builders-review-its-better-than-minecraft/#3c69b2d27936

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i thought tuesday the 11th

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ShiroTheSniper posted:

How's the game on console? I played a lot of Tropico 3 on PC...

they gave the base game away on ps+ it was fine

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

drat, gonna have to try the demo.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Real hurthling! posted:

i thought tuesday the 11th

Ah it is the 11th. Boo.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Anyone else picking up Vermintide? Add me: "literallygary"

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm getting a PS3 after a long time of being out of the Sony loop. I'm married and my job has a ton of overtime so I don't really have time to play big long 80 hour RPGs anymore, but JRPGs are pretty much all I know. So I'm looking for games that have a lot of story but that aren't crazy long.

I remember Yakuza 3 being decently short, full of plot and crazy fun in either long or short bursts. Are the rest of them like that? I'm thinking of importing Kenzan and maybe getting 4 and 5 if they're not too insanely long.

I played Heavy Rain back when I first had a PS3 a few years ago and I remember that being pretty intense and awesome. Anything else like that?

I'm also especially interested in horror games. Does the PS3 have any good ones? I'm getting all 3 of the Fatal Frames off of PSN, but those are the only ones I know.

I dunno, any suggestions on games with good stories would be appreciated.

Oh and what is the best Dynasty Warriors or spinoff game on the PS3? I loved Dynasty Warriors 8 Extreme for PC so I'd love to get whatever is supposed to be the 'best' of the series for PS3 if I could.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Have you considered a Vita? You can jRPG wherever you want and just hit the sleep button when you're busy, and the library is quite extensive.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Getsuya posted:

I played Heavy Rain back when I first had a PS3 a few years ago and I remember that being pretty intense and awesome. Anything else like that?

you could play Beyond: Two Souls. same company/writer. a lot of people here hate David Cage, but if you enjoyed Heavy Rain, you'd probably enjoy it.

quote:

I'm also especially interested in horror games. Does the PS3 have any good ones? I'm getting all 3 of the Fatal Frames off of PSN, but those are the only ones I know.

I dunno, any suggestions on games with good stories would be appreciated.

The Last of Us is pretty much the gold standard for story telling/presentation and character development for the PS3. it's not strictly horror, but there are survival elements, and if you play the game right (hard or survivalist difficulty), it's very tense all the way through.

I'd have more suggestions if I were at home and could look at my library

e: Life Is Strange is another story-driven game in five episodes where you walk around, examine everything, and make choices, if you didn't play it on PC or something. as long as you don't mind stories about time traveling, teens, and hipsters, you'll probably like it

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 4, 2016

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Getsuya posted:

SIREN is available as a PS2 Classic and is one of the best horror games of that era.

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009

Policenaut posted:

SIREN is available as a PS2 Classic and is one of the best horror games of that era.

Seconded.
It's scary as hell. The only downside is that it kinda needs a hint guide.

EDIT:
vvv It's literally stylized as "American remake of Japanese horror" so it's not quite as scary but 10 times as playable, also the production and action is way better. Totally awesome on a conceptual level because of that imo.

Hello Meow fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 4, 2016

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I also don't know how I forgot this but the Americanized remake of SIREN made by the same Japanese studio, SIREN: Blood Curse, is also on the PS3 and worth a play. Play it after the original SIREN for maximum effect.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Policenaut posted:

I also don't know how I forgot this but the Americanized remake of SIREN made by the same Japanese studio, SIREN: Blood Curse, is also on the PS3 and worth a play. Play it after the original SIREN for maximum effect.

i actually have siren: blood curse so i assume at some point it was a ps+ game as i never bought it. is it pretty good? maybe i should check it out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't say "better than minecraft" but I will say firmly that I am enjoying DQ:B a shitload more than I ever enjoyed Minecraft. It's less free in building but way better as an actual game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just can't get excited about DQ:B. I like DQ and I like action RPGs but I'm completely disinterested Minecraft and that cancels out the the things I do like.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sad

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

i actually have siren: blood curse so i assume at some point it was a ps+ game as i never bought it. is it pretty good? maybe i should check it out

It's pretty old by now but it's a fairly good survival horror game. It does a lot to try to keep that original game's horror but update it with some modern game ideas. If you've got it for free you should give it a go, it's not that long of a game either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

glam rock hamhock posted:

I just can't get excited about DQ:B. I like DQ and I like action RPGs but I'm completely disinterested Minecraft and that cancels out the the things I do like.
I am over the Minecraft thing too but it seems like this might strike a good balance. I am still kind of waiting to find out what the later levels are like though. I really hope you eventually get to make traps and stuff instead of just creating dumb little rooms over and over. Has anyone seen some of the later gameplay?

Getsuya posted:

Thanks for any suggestions.
This is going to sound dumb but pick up one title to tide you over then wait for a PSN sale, you're gonna be able to pick up so many old PS3 titles for cheap that it won't matter if you give up on a few.

Since you mentioned Dynasty Warriors that might not be a bad start for a short play session game and an easy series to find cheap. There's a thread for Musou games but basically the Xtreme Legends versions are the combat focused ones with all the extras and Empires have the geographic strategy mode that is kind of obtuse unless you've played Romance of the Three Kingdoms before. Samurai Warriors series has the same two types I think and basically the difference is just riffing on Japanese history instead of Chinese. If you can't choose then get Warriors Orochi because it has some of both. There's also One Piece Pirate Warriors and Dragon Quest Heroes which are similar but change the gameplay up with various features to fit their spinoff themes.

As for which one people like best specifically I would guess Orochi but find the Musou thread and ask

• Locked thread