Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Emron posted:

A guy in my raid group pugged with a team that's cleared it several times last night, and he told me they were insistent that on the first two DPS rounds, there seems to be a cap on total damage you can do to the boss.

They told him that no matter how good their DPS is, it always seems to work like:

-First pillar: 15%ish
-Second pillar: 40%ish
-Rest: no cap

They "proved" this to him by doing the same thing each DPS round but getting those numbers for the first two rounds, then doing enough on the third to take him straight to the final burn phase.

I have no clue how true it is, but if so, that's a neat way to keep people from totally outgearing the fight.

It felt like golgoroth had a similar mechanic to me, first round damage was always kind of low compared to what we did later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Kind of makes it sound like they're really insisting that there be three rounds of damage for the final boss

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Emron posted:

A guy in my raid group pugged with a team that's cleared it several times last night, and he told me they were insistent that on the first two DPS rounds, there seems to be a cap on total damage you can do to the boss.

They told him that no matter how good their DPS is, it always seems to work like:

-First pillar: 15%ish
-Second pillar: 40%ish
-Rest: no cap

They "proved" this to him by doing the same thing each DPS round but getting those numbers for the first two rounds, then doing enough on the third to take him straight to the final burn phase.

I have no clue how true it is, but if so, that's a neat way to keep people from totally outgearing the fight.

yeah I could believe that bosses have a mechanic like that. Like fishbulb said that's how golgoroth always 'felt' to us, and I think a few other bosses have always kind of been lilke, 'oh well first rotation damage wasn't great but it was ok, we can do this lets go,' and then subsequent seem better but I dunno.

I'm watching the vid of the 2-man aksis clear and they got him to the 'r' in archon which seems a bit higher than 15% but I dunno

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should be easy to verify that by timing the vulnerability periods while doing varying DPS.

Warpriest definitely does not work like that fwiw, in the early days teams needed all 4 cycles to squeak by but then 3s and then 2s became common as everyone leveled up.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

yeah on second thought it might just be confirmation bias. Like I said the 2man got it to the r in archon so that's probably a good indicator of uh, something. Maybe not a hard limit but if you can match that you're probably doing well.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Did the changes to cluster bombs make them any good at all or is G+H still the go to perk for rockets?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How long until hard mode drops?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's in pgs also but anyone on ps4 for an aksis kill right now?

never mind, disbanded

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

yeah on second thought it might just be confirmation bias. Like I said the 2man got it to the r in archon so that's probably a good indicator of uh, something. Maybe not a hard limit but if you can match that you're probably doing well.

Maybe it's something subtler, like the stun lasting longer each round or something. Or it could just be confirmation bias like you said.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Waaahmbulance Chaser posted:

How long until hard mode drops?

they haven't said yet. probably after iron banner tho

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Legs Benedict posted:

they haven't said yet. probably after iron banner tho

looking it up, hard mode king's fall wasn't released until the 23rd (originally scheduled for the 30th) and the date wasn't given until the 16th, I think so probably not for a little bit for WoM

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
I'm excited about challenge modes. Aksis: all six players have to dunk on him.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got to 8 wins in Trials... Well, the other 2 guys that remembered their boons did, anyway. :negative:

It got noticeably more difficult at 6 wins and especially 8 wins, which left me stuck at 6 without the boons, so I had to watch my squad get the pulse rifle and almost go flawless too. I'll probably try again later tonight if I can round up a team, today was definitely the least sweaty trials has been in a long time. If you're looking to get that emblem and you're mid-tier, get to it while the gettin's good.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
The amount of people who are AFKing strikes and heroic strikes right now are unfuckingbelieveable.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

My life for a ghost above 350, seriously this is getting ridiculous.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I got a ten light upgrade on my ghost from the nightfall, it was such a drag on my light level that I jumped 2 overall light to 370 :smugdog:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

First supremacy game, other team had four flawless emblems, all four were red bar the whole time lol

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

My life for a ghost above 350, seriously this is getting ridiculous.

Keep striking. I got lucky and got a blue 365 shell to infuse into my 355.

Drag
Sep 23, 2004

ohrwurm posted:

Keep striking. I got lucky and got a blue 365 shell to infuse into my 355.
Yeah I've gotten 2 ghosts at 365 out of about ~20 or 25 strikes maybe. Continue to receive 0 with higher light from any faction rank ups. Hadn't thought about nightfall, that's an idea.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So I can confirm now that Aksis is a loving garbage boss fight. gently caress that stupid empowered mechanic.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

So I can confirm now that Aksis is a loving garbage boss fight. gently caress that stupid empowered mechanic.

What don't you like about it?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

TaurusOxford posted:

It's really just communication and Co-ordination. He can be completed fairly easily by a party under levelled as long as they're on comms and with good callouts.

When we picked up randoms from LFG we didn't care about light level or even if they'd done it already as long as they had mics

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

TaurusOxford posted:

All you gotta do is communicate, man

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Emron posted:

What don't you like about it?

It overcomplicates everything to an unnecessary degree. I don't get why Bungie has this hard on for putting 4-5 different puzzle mechanics in one boss fight. They did the same thing with Oryx and right now it's a coin flip on who's worse between him and Aksis.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
You've been practicing 4/5 mechanics already, they literally only added one more thing to the last phase.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

It overcomplicates everything to an unnecessary degree. I don't get why Bungie has this hard on for putting 4-5 different puzzle mechanics in one boss fight. They did the same thing with Oryx and right now it's a coin flip on who's worse between him and Aksis.

I don't really agree, man, sorry. The only difficult part is making sure that there's an empowered person on each side. Other than that, the fight mechanics are pretty simple.

-Kill captain. Cannon carrier picks up the cannon.
-Call servitor locations (which was the entirety of the last fight)
-Throw bombs at the boss (you've done this in nearly every fight)
-Empowered people dunk, you DPS (you did this when you opened the butthole)
-Hide from wiping attack (you did this on the first boss)

What's the difficult part once you know what you're supposed to do? Failure to execute is one thing but you're making it sound impossible to figure out. My raid group went in blind and we had it figured after a few wipes. We were under geared, but the mechanics all made sense.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Like everyone is saying, comms is extremely important.

Though I would say that getting people that can control their character well is also extremely important. We had a guy we dragged kicking and screaming through the raid, this guy took 5 minutes to enter the raid after the door encounter. After we replaced him it was clean sailing.

Another example, this guy died jumping from his pylon back to the middle in the server room, and after getting the server exotic chest he fell out of that room to his death.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Looks like they forgot to make Y3 faction class items count toward the exotic class item bounties. Wish I had know that before spending marks on one instead of waiting for a fix

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Roman posted:

Looks like they forgot to make Y3 faction class items count toward the exotic class item bounties. Wish I had know that before spending marks on one instead of waiting for a fix

they do work (I have one and am progressing the bounty) but I think there's a problem with the ones that have crucible rep perk. Vanguard rep perks will work, if you get one from a package.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Mazerunner posted:

they do work (I have one and am progressing the bounty) but I think there's a problem with the ones that have crucible rep perk. Vanguard rep perks will work, if you get one from a package.
Is it random? does choosing chroma make a difference?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Roman posted:

Is it random? does choosing chroma make a difference?

just random, and no I don't think so.

well, class items usually drop as an 'extra' loot, from any of the types, but sometimes armour will give you a class item (I've gotten two in one box a few times). I dunno about chroma specifically, but the perk is just a roll on the class item in anycase.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I assume ghosts fall under armour when choosing a pack?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

random (low chance) for any of them, as an extra drop

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Elendil004 posted:

I've gotten 4 or 5 ghosts from weapons packages.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ghosts are supposed to be a random drop in any of the 3.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

haveblue posted:

Ghosts are supposed to be a random drop in any of the 3.

Random and comically rare. I've gotten one since RoI started.

IB should resolve everyone's ghost problem in a few days.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
You can literally preview all the packages before you pick one.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I've gotten 3 from the raid.

Do the raid.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

el B posted:

Do the raid.

I keep getting artifacts which is good because they're also hard to find but I'm like 0 for 25 on ghosts from rank up packages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

el B posted:

Do the raid.

But how will I overgear to make sure the raid is as easy as possible? :qq:

• Locked thread