Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I still really love that one story about someone getting tired of Vampire LARPers and deciding to become Hunter LARPers and kill them at their own game. I don't care if it's fake, it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

CatchrNdRy posted:

As run-of-the-mill forum nerds, who love Bloodlines and maybe read thr oWOD wiki a few times, would they accept us as fellow Kindred? Or is that not impressive enough? I think that would be enough to talk the talk.

Just play as a Malkavian that flatly denies he's a vampire and has no idea what all these weirdos are on about.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

For people not following the non-PC game side of things, Paradox announced that the Masquerade RP system is coming back, and that the official lore / canon will be developed, in real time, by LARPers, through social media. The people that Darth Windo is seeing will be steering the ship in a few years. Should be fun.

Just waiting for the first necrofucker to come along and see if they make it canon. I would never let a property be driven by Role-Players because they pervert everything they touch.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

CatchrNdRy posted:

As run-of-the-mill forum nerds, who love Bloodlines and maybe read thr oWOD wiki a few times, would they accept us as fellow Kindred? Or is that not impressive enough? I think that would be enough to talk the talk.

I really wanted to try to infiltrate their society but my gf said no :(

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Dramatika posted:

Oh god Paradox, turn left, this is not a good idea

Counterpoint - for everyone except them, this is a hilariously fantastic idea.

Especially since they mentioned social media integration.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I can only imagine they know exactly how much of a shitshow it's gonna be and that's the whole point.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I wonder if they do this every year on the same weekend as southern decadence, seems like a good idea to cover your weird vampire shenanigans in the fun gay shenanigans

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Darth Windu posted:

Uhh well spend some points in Persuasion , then you'll have the last laugh :twisted:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Or Appearance because that's what's clearly lacking.

Light Gun Man posted:

I still really love that one story about someone getting tired of Vampire LARPers and deciding to become Hunter LARPers and kill them at their own game. I don't care if it's fake, it's hilarious.

I know nothing of this, have a link handy?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Darth Windu posted:

She's clearly in cahoots with them. Stake her.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm all but certain that I've read this, and it was so hilarious that I want to read it again.

There was another story I read in another thread about how some guys at a larp who ended up casting come kind of firestorm at a Vampire LARP after chanting openly for an extended period of time. The conflagration destroyed numerous characters, some that were years of real time old and of very high (low?) generation. I wish that I could find that one again. I know that it seems odd that I spoilered something that is the only way to identify the tale, but in the event that someone links/pastes it I didn't want to blow the ending for those who don't know it.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Ok I got the game again but the OP doesn't explain the differene between the companion mod and the camarilla mod

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
BLUG I followed all the directions and the mod still doesn't work!!!! Fuark!!!!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I figured out the thing about the shortcut on the desktop...but it said it couldn't find vampire.exe. i'm reinstalling fresh so hopefully it works but if not i'm going to play ck2 and pretend like I'm a vampire irl

Yeah now its telling me it can't find Steam when i directed it to Vampire.exe. This is dumb I'm going be an armenian king

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 6, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
:laffo: you waited all of two hours on this thread before declaring it dead and quits, holy poo poo.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
A red title well deserved.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

y'all just got gowby'd

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

ProfessorCirno posted:

:laffo: you waited all of two hours on this thread before declaring it dead and quits, holy poo poo.

I got bored sorry, if anyone knows how to fix please send help

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

I got bored sorry, if anyone knows how to fix please send help

Make sure you don't have the GOG version of the game or install the UP before installing the Camarilla/Companion mod, as they both are built upon their own version of the UP.

Then during the install, when it asks where you wanna install to, you choose the root "Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines" folder -- NOT the "Vampire" folder within that.

If all you are installing is the UP, it will create its own launcher shortcut on your desktop.

If you are installing the Camarilla/Companion mod, I don't think they have their own launchers or special shortcuts, you just use the regular game launcher. Then again, it's been a long time since I used either one of those mods so that may have changed since then.

Anyway, that's really all there is to it. I don't know how I could simplify the installation directions further.

As for the differences between the Companion mod and the Camarilla mod, the Camarilla mod changes up the game balance by adjusting every discipline, frenzy checks, health regeneration, bloodloss, and a few minor other things.
The Companion mod lets you turn NPC's into blood dolls/followers. You can create parties, have a secondary inventory, and you can play dress up pose time with them.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Or Appearance because that's what's clearly lacking.

I read it somewhere on SA I believe, and hell if I can remember where. Might have been one of those poo poo that didn't happen threads or something.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Upmarket Mango posted:

Make sure you don't have the GOG version of the game or install the UP before installing the Camarilla/Companion mod, as they both are built upon their own version of the UP.

Then during the install, when it asks where you wanna install to, you choose the root "Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines" folder -- NOT the "Vampire" folder within that.

If all you are installing is the UP, it will create its own launcher shortcut on your desktop.

If you are installing the Camarilla/Companion mod, I don't think they have their own launchers or special shortcuts, you just use the regular game launcher. Then again, it's been a long time since I used either one of those mods so that may have changed since then.

Anyway, that's really all there is to it. I don't know how I could simplify the installation directions further.

As for the differences between the Companion mod and the Camarilla mod, the Camarilla mod changes up the game balance by adjusting every discipline, frenzy checks, health regeneration, bloodloss, and a few minor other things.
The Companion mod lets you turn NPC's into blood dolls/followers. You can create parties, have a secondary inventory, and you can play dress up pose time with them.

Ooooo.... I installed that as a part of the main patch/mod (steam) so I should try that out. My Tremere , Blaine Belfort, really hates to get his hands dirty while jamming to "Hip to be Square". That is for the menials. Felt better once I bought a suit from a guy and his truck.

One thing: I remember making the Sisters get along and be peaceful but that aint working this time. I ended up choosing the nicer of the two. I read the patch notes version SHOULD not require Persuasion 4 but no matter the choice I made before it was one or the other. Leaving it vague to keep newbies from spoilers although the siblings are easy to figure out.

To the guys wondering about combat and stealth mechanics: Right now I have dex 2, Perception 2 with guns 2, melee 1 and stealth 2. Just finished Santa Monica (first big area). I am not min maxed at all. Santa Monica went well and can be done. With guns you just miss more. Take your time between shots and you will be ok and I could easily shoot people and win. I also can stealth alright. Got through several places undetected by just being patient and using the environment.

Hardest thing about this game is fighting the urge to quit and play a Malkavian. Wish I could change the style of my hair.

Another question for goons that I can't remember: When you play Nosferatu do you have to pretty much do everything by sewer or do you get a disguise? I thought I remembered walking around in a gumshoe trench and fedora disguise to keep from breaking the masquerade. I do remember Nosferatu and their obfuscate making this game into easy mode with sneak and sneak attacks. Except for a graveyard fight that was hell.

edit: also I had forgotten how Damsel is hilariously a copy my high school days girlfriend. Red Star beret, KMFDM t shirt and talking about bringing down the man. Heh heh. God I love this game.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 7, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Von_Doom posted:

Another question for goons that I can't remember: When you play Nosferatu do you have to pretty much do everything by sewer or do you get a disguise? I thought I remembered walking around in a gumshoe trench and fedora disguise to keep from breaking the masquerade. I do remember Nosferatu and their obfuscate making this game into easy mode with sneak and sneak attacks. Except for a graveyard fight that was hell.

The Nosferatu restriction barely matters at all. Talking to NPCs with actual dialogue never breaks the Masquerade, so you only have to worry about the random pedestrians. And those won't freak out unless you're right in their face. It's quite possible to walk around in the streets throughout the entire game without anyone noticing.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, you can just run down the middle of main street so long as you don't stare someone in the eye for too long.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You almost literally have to touch a lot of them to have it penalize you.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

The Nosferatu restriction barely matters at all. Talking to NPCs with actual dialogue never breaks the Masquerade, so you only have to worry about the random pedestrians. And those won't freak out unless you're right in their face. It's quite possible to walk around in the streets throughout the entire game without anyone noticing.

Based on the design of the city hubs, with sewer entrances everywhere, it seems highly likely that originally Nosferatu were not going to be allowed to just walk around on the streets, as this would break the masquerade. But in playtesting it became obvious that this was such an incredible pain in the rear end that it was just not workable. So now Nosferatu can walk the streets like everyone else, and the sewers are mostly pointless.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
From what I hear it was mostly because the money ran out. Nos were supposed to have different routes to just about everywhere in the game and get treated differently and etc. But since the title of the game should be Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines: Out of Time and Money...

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Also there is nothing to do in the sewers other than eat rats, get turned around and miss out on all the atmosphere up top.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Holy poo poo this thread is still sort of going

I just reinstalled for the first time in years. I've done all the endings and played through all the base clans I care to play (Ventrue, Toreador, Malkavian, Tremere). This is all without mods or patches. What should I run with the game this time? I hear the Antitribu mod is still kind of a half-finished mess.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I just reinstalled for the first time in years. I've done all the endings and played through all the base clans I care to play (Ventrue, Toreador, Malkavian, Tremere). This is all without mods or patches. What should I run with the game this time? I hear the Antitribu mod is still kind of a half-finished mess.

If you've never used the Unoffocial Patch, I'd recommend giving the PLUS version a try. It mixes up item pickups, adds a couple of new quests, and a whole new library building to explore. The new content isn't to everybody's liking, but when you've played the game so much, pretty much any new change is a welcomed breath of air into this corpse, imo.

The Clan Quest Mod adds a bunch of clan specific missions to do.

The Companion Mod adds a follower system.

The Arsenal Mod rejiggers all the firearms in the game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Upmarket Mango posted:

If you've never used the Unoffocial Patch, I'd recommend giving the PLUS version a try. It mixes up item pickups, adds a couple of new quests, and a whole new library building to explore. The new content isn't to everybody's liking, but when you've played the game so much, pretty much any new change is a welcomed breath of air into this corpse, imo.

The Clan Quest Mod adds a bunch of clan specific missions to do.

The Companion Mod adds a follower system.

The Arsenal Mod rejiggers all the firearms in the game.

This.

I'd say grab CQM and pick a clan and run with it. I haven't tried all of them, but the 3 clan specific quests I did manage to play were pretty good... the Ventrue one even has the actual VA for LaCroix voicing new lines.

Good evening.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

CQM also includes an installer for other mods like the aforementioned Arsenal, a lite version of Companion, and others. I don't remember if the actual installer explains what mods don't interact well but any place you download CQM from should have a spot for it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Trojan Kaiju posted:

CQM also includes an installer for other mods like the aforementioned Arsenal, a lite version of Companion, and others. I don't remember if the actual installer explains what mods don't interact well but any place you download CQM from should have a spot for it.

does it come with the unofficial fan patch or do you need to install them both separately

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

does it come with the unofficial fan patch or do you need to install them both separately

Not the most recent one but the one it comes with is perfectly serviceable. It doesn't have the library or the library quest but people were generally pretty down on it unless something changed.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Not the most recent one but the one it comes with is perfectly serviceable. It doesn't have the library or the library quest but people were generally pretty down on it unless something changed.

Nope, it's still a crappy area with a crappy quest.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Fuzz posted:

Nope, it's still a crappy area with a crappy quest.

I wonder what ways can the library be improved?

1) voice acting

2) it seems so abrunt. out of nowhere. it be nice to have some clues littered about, regarding missing Kindred

3) The Lasombra appearing every once in awhile, was pretty cool, but I fail to see how it connects.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It can't. It should just be removed completely. And apparently it has been.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Nosferatu would be a bit different, if you are open to a new clan.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It can't. It should just be removed completely. And apparently it has been.

Wesp, for all his talents at restoring content other people made and fixing memory leaks and bugs, apparently sucks complete poo poo at actually designing anything game related, and he wants us all to forget about that.

Who knew.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Fuzz posted:

Wesp, for all his talents at restoring content other people made and fixing memory leaks and bugs, apparently sucks complete poo poo at actually designing anything game related, and he wants us all to forget about that.

Who knew.

So he removed his new library section?

I'm sure he'll put it back in a future patch, but with all objects in slightly different places.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Better a manic fan coder who obsesses over the pixel by pixel location of a severed arm, than no fan coder at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Is there anything you guys enjoy playing that scratches the same itch as this game?

I can't think of anything outside of the Bethesda games, but if there's some similar character-creation RPG that I'm missing, please let me know!! :yaycloud:

• Locked thread