Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

El Hefe posted:

Are you telling me its impossible to watch a TV show on a computer, tablet or phone?

Like I said I'll let you tell my wife that is where she has to watch her shows. I pick and choose my battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can also play the game on the phone, tablet, computer or vita with remote play

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

xxEightxx posted:

Like I said I'll let you tell my wife that is where she has to watch her shows. I pick and choose my battles.

put her in the thread I'll tell her

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

imagine thinking virtual reality is waggle

all of the current headsets are waggle but at least the psvr is going to be the only one with software to actually play

in 2-3 years waggle will be priced as waggle, and be far more accessible, and you'll have the wiimotion+ headsets /setups that you can buy for EIGHT TO FIFTEEN HUNDRED* canadian dollars that actually serve to create the VR industry.

*eight hundred for a psvr bundle and ps4, more for a desktop / desktop headset bundle

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Xxeightxx is a hardcore gamer he can't afford to be dropping frames or he wouldn't be able to own scrubs in destiny.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Attitude Indicator posted:

Its incredibly cute that theres so many people going "THIS video game gimmick will be the lasting one"

gimmicks have been very hit or miss but extremely derided poo poo like second screen or even HD also succeeded wildly

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

My wife likes to use the tv which means I need a special helmet that I can spend hundreds on and wear so that when I'm sitting next to her on the couch I can't see or hear her.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I also think the simple act of having to strap something to your face is going to be a bigger turnoff than serious gamers anticipate; the willingness to shut out the entire outside world for the sake of gaming is by no means universal.

That said, in PSVR's favor is the way it makes an absolutely killer demo- almost everyone who tries one agrees it's the real deal. It works, it works well, and there's a pretty wide range of launch content for it and tie-ins with major franchises. People want to want the PSVR, they just need to get over the cost hump.

Comparing it to the printing press or TV is just laughable, though.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 3, 2016

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

My wife likes to use the tv which means I need a special helmet that I can spend hundreds on and wear so that when I'm sitting next to her on the couch I can't see or hear her.

imagine what the psvr could do for al bundy

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DF found an indie game that managed native 4k 60fps on ps4 pro. its an rc proam type game. all in all, nothing worth mentioning on its own but they do say that on a 1080p screen the game runs with supersampling to give a huge boost to anti-aliasing.
i'd imagine that supersampling is something that is pretty easy to do with the pro developer's tools if a low budget indie game is including it and might even be some automatic process the console just does on its own idk.

well here's the otherwise boring video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGQqjVsLXlk

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

Comparing it to the printing press or TV is just laughable, though.
Let me in on the joke then

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

well a printing press is an industrial piece of equipment, not meant for home use! ha ha!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

homeless snail posted:

The problem is that everyone has hyped up VR as this thing that when it breaks, everyone is going to have their headset and we're all going to be punching deck in the matrix man. VR can be successful without everyone and their brother buying 3. So many people have built success up to that though, that anything less is going to be seen as a failure.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

homeless snail posted:

Both of those augment the real world rather than replace it, for one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wacky Delly posted:

The problem is that everyone has hyped up VR as this thing that when it breaks, everyone is going to have their headset and we're all going to be punching deck in the matrix man. VR can be successful without everyone and their brother buying 3. So many people have built success up to that though, that anything less is going to be seen as a failure.
Its going to take awhile for VR to be widely accepted, television also took some time to become established. I don't think PSVR is the device that's going to do it, but I also don't see how that's relevant.

haveblue posted:

Both of those augment the real world rather than replace it, for one.
No they don't. Okay what else you got?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

No they don't. Okay what else you got?

Uh, well, for one, the printing press was one of the most significant inventions of all time and completely redefined the world by allowing widespread distribution of concepts and ideas and ushered in the era of mass communication? It literally, not hyperbolic ally, redefined the world.

Going "I bet VR will be like the printing press" shows an absolutely absurd ignorance about what the printing press actually did. Like unironically comparing VR to the Printing Press means the onus is on you to actually back up a claim that loving ridiculous.

So, again, why don't you actually explain what VR will do instead of going "it has a lot of potential!" What will VR do to redefine human civilization in the way that the printing press, television, radio and the internet have?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 3, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

god forbid

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Now you're getting the idea.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is Neverwinter any good? I got some weird alert on my PS4 saying that a coupon I had would expire soon and when I redeemed it I had World of Tanks, Neverwinter, and Warframe in my shopping cart. :confused:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its a lovely f2p mmo. you should probably know immediately if that appeals to you or not

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Uh, well, for one, the printing press was one of the most significant inventions of all time and completely redefined the world by allowing widespread distribution of concepts and ideas and ushered in the era of mass communication? It literally, not hyperbolic ally, redefined the world.

Going "I bet VR will be like the printing press" shows an absolutely absurd ignorance about what the printing press actually did. Like unironically comparing VR to the Printing Press means the onus is on you to actually back up a claim that loving ridiculous.
Were radio, television, and the internet not similarly transformative? The history of media is a succession of new ways to communicate ideas, and VR is just another means to that end. Not better than, just new, different, and with its own unique set of strengths and weaknesses. Like any other form of media. Sorry if you're a big fan of Gutenberg and I hit a nerve.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Were radio, television, and the internet not similarly transformative? The history of media is a succession of new ways to communicate ideas, and VR is just another means to that end. Not better than, just new, different, and with its own unique set of strengths and weaknesses. Like any other form of media. Sorry if you're a big fan of Gutenberg and I hit a nerve.

Do you not actually get that all of those things were significant not just because they were 'new' but because they actually has a significant transformative effect on the world? Radio was an instantaneous long-range form of communication and allowed large-scale oral communication on a level never before available. Television brought visuals to that and in doing so completely changed how the world interacted. The internet doesn't even need to be explained with how large and significant an impact it had on the world.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I strap an industrial printing press to my head because I hate myself and want to die.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Do you not actually get that all of those things were significant not just because they were 'new' but because they actually has a significant transformative effect on the world? Radio was an instantaneous long-range form of communication and allowed large-scale oral communication on a level never before available. Television brought visuals to that and in doing so completely changed how the world interacted. The internet doesn't even need to be explained with how large and significant an impact it had on the world.
Okay... Now imagine this same paragraph but instead of VR you're in the 1920s and you're talking about television.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Okay... Now imagine this same paragraph but instead of VR you're in the 1920s and you're talking about television.

... Okay? I am? It was very easy to see how television would become a significant factor in the world. Literally all you need to do is say "the large-scale instant transmission of visual images on a country or even global scale." People keep going "Well, people laughed at television" but y'know, a lot of people didn't laugh at television also because it's easy to understand why it was a significant thing.

What does VR do? You keep dodging this question. It absolutely has potential for entertainment or medical or military uses but how do you see it redefining the world and becoming a significant factor in the life of almost everyone on the planet?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 3, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i will NOT tolerate disrespect of th e printing press

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VR could have huge potential. Probably not psvr or oculus or vive but vr as a concept? 10 years down the road? It could have a huge effect on the entertainment and professional world.

The current headsets probably won't do much outside of play some games and some other gimmicky applications but VR is gonna be a game changer.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Those are all just passing fads

It's true, look at all the newspapers and magazines that have gone out of business.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VR is gonna flop. Quote me in a year. Peace.

PS Bloodborne is the best game.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
holy loving poo poo

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Uh VR already flopped though

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

actually Nintendo is graded on a curve, and i'll have you know that no virtual reality system outsold the virtual boy during its release window

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Actually, without the printing press anime titties would never have existed

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Super No Vacancy posted:

imagine thinking virtual reality is waggle
but it is head waggle

PSVR will probably flop but until then I can play robot golf and Rez and rear end in a top hat bar game simulator so that's at least a start. It's mainly poo poo tech demos but for what it's worth Sony seems to have muscled a few companies into making halfway games to go along with the tech demos. As usual they'll probably just be delayed to "never" instead. I guess the Vive and Oculus crew are finally getting 'regular' games but so far they still look like stuff nobody would play if they didn't shoehorn them into VR. Maybe there is something better by now but the VR thread is primarily hardware talk so I have no loving clue what people are actually playing

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
VR is sort of at an uncanny valley point. As long as your brain knows it's fake, it won't feel right. As soon as something weird happens, ie: you see pixels, or weird movement, or just feeling claustrophobic with a helmet on, you are pulled out of the experience.

The technology is just not there yet. We are probably a number of iterations away from something that is actually good.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

imagine what the psvr could do for al bundy

lol

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Waltzing Along posted:

VR is sort of at an uncanny valley point. As long as your brain knows it's fake, it won't feel right. As soon as something weird happens, ie: you see pixels, or weird movement, or just feeling claustrophobic with a helmet on, you are pulled out of the experience.

The technology is just not there yet. We are probably a number of iterations away from something that is actually good.

i actually take bliss, the drug from 90210, and vr works amazingly

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Quantum of Phallus posted:

VR is gonna flop. Quote me in a year. Peace.

PS Bloodborne is the best game.
they should have announced a VR Bloodborne, the cognitive dissonance would have exploded some heads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would accept an Armored Core VR

• Locked thread