Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

In my current nuzlocke play through of ORAS the 1st poke I caught was a zigzagoon with Charm instead of Tackle as a 1st move. She has 0 damaging abilities and my cute floppy pacifist pokemon is my best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

My first Poochyena in ORAS had Fire Fang. She's incredibly useful and a good dog.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

HopperUK posted:

My first Poochyena in ORAS had Fire Fang. She's incredibly useful and a good dog.

Now if only her entire extended family didn't insist on following you forever. That first Zigzagoon that knows only charm and growl is more honest about how useful it's kin will be.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
This isn't specific to any one game but I swear to god wild Weedles specifically have a 90% chance to poison you with Poison Sting.

e: this could be a post from 1998 but gently caress it, it's still true

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 2, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Slate Action posted:

This isn't specific to any one game but I swear to god wild Weedles specifically have a 90% chance to poison you with Poison Sting.

e: this could be a post from 1998 but gently caress it, it's still true

to be fair i'm pretty sure the 30% chance it has is bigger then most poison moves, except toxic of course

semi-edit: i checked and 30 percent is average for damage dealing moves, which seems absurd

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mandatory lesbian posted:

to be fair i'm pretty sure the 30% chance it has is bigger then most poison moves, except toxic of course

semi-edit: i checked and 30 percent is average for damage dealing moves, which seems absurd

Yeah. loving Scald :argh:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

30% is not average

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ruggington posted:

30% is not average

for poison, the most damage dealing moves have 30%

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

it's bad and i hate it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It's to balance out poison being a really bad type most of the time

(When attacking at least)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think they should change the type chart and make steel weak to poison.

There's a ton of acids and sludge that can eat through steel :colbert:. Maybe keep the inability to poison/toxic them but make them weak to the moves themselves.

That would be a cool interaction.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

salandit is here to break down barriers

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Avynte posted:

Yeah, I'm happy I played through XY because it was good, but ORAS was definitely the higher quality experience.

ORAS doesn't have the roller skates, 0/10 unplayable.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ruggington posted:

salandit is here to break down barriers

i like him

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I think fighting should be strong against Fairy because the Jocks kept beating up my friend in High School :(

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Countblanc posted:

People quit on low ladder showdown a lot for a bunch of reasons

1) they're alt accounts trying to run gimmick teams and you broke the gimmick somehow so they leave

2) they don't really have a viable win condition left so rather than spend 20 turns flailing around they just leave

3) they're a literal child

4) it's low ladder so losing rating generally means little which means people don't mind just leaving for random irl stuff instead of finishing a game

5) they legit rage quit

6)??????

Basically don't take anything sub-1500 add indicative of, well, anything
Number 2 right there is why doubles is the official VGC format and why I like doubles better than singles. I mean singles are still fun but the format suffers from "the Monopoly problem" of going on too long after the match is more or less decided.

Calaveron posted:

Forever will I ponder if they made it intentional so that Clefairy and Gengar have pretty much the exact same silhouette

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Number 2 right there is why doubles is the official VGC format and why I like doubles better than singles. I mean singles are still fun but the format suffers from "the Monopoly problem" of going on too long after the match is more or less decided.

secretly ghastly comes from cloysters when they die or something. Lots of death in Gen 1. You could say that it was... ghastly. Eh Eh?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

They've really made an effort to make each Pokémon from later generations distinct enough from one another to avoid the "sameness" Gen 1 monsters had.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zuzie posted:

They've really made an effort to make each Pokémon from later generations distinct enough from one another to avoid the "sameness" Gen 1 monsters had.

in most cases yeah, but they get lazy every now and then like with plusle and minun

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

in most cases yeah, but they get lazy every now and then like with plusle and minun

That was just part of their weird obsession with putting in pairs in Gen III for the double battles. Except all of them are terrible combos.

Volbeat/Illumise, Plusle/Minun, Solrock/Lunatone...

They did something similar with the Monkeys in Gen V for triples.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I love every member of the extended pikachu family except pichu and those two.

Zore posted:

At least they're different types :shrug:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

quote:

I love every member of the extended Pikachu family except Pikachu.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

That was just part of their weird obsession with putting in pairs in Gen III for the double battles. Except all of them are terrible combos.

Volbeat/Illumise, Plusle/Minun, Solrock/Lunatone...

u misunderstand me, i'm fine with volbeat and illumise cause fireflies had not been done before, but minun/plusle look like pichu with color

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

pichu is a mouse, plusle and minun are rabbits, totally different

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I have a shiny Minun named Be Happy that I send clones of to random people. They're so cheerful, I can't help but love them.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

the nidoran line is the only rabbit i care for

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also, i think you're lying to me!!!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
of course they're lying.

Pikachu is also a rabbit :rolleyes:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I find it a bit weird that Plusle and Minun are only in the Fairy egg group. You'd think that they would also be in Field egg group alongside the other electric rodents.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Zuzie posted:

I find it a bit weird that Plusle and Minun are only in the Fairy egg group. You'd think that they would also be in Field egg group alongside the other electric rodents.

They aren't even typed as fairy, which is also weird.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I finished my first Nuzlocke! By finish I, of course, mean that I got wiped out to Dianthe's Mega Gardevoir.

Then i gave up and just did it again with revives (all i had to do was loving set up Stealth Rock on the first turn and use Golem to beat up Hawlucha, then Durant would be able to sweep the rest no problem) Boy is a nuzlocke a different experience, I don't really have the patience to do it again.

Anyway, general thoughts on XY are the same I had a while after playing them the first time, the story is trash, every character is lame, Malva is so entirely out of nowhere and does nothing with her reveal, the cut content is fairly easy to deduce, mega evolution is not implemented well into the main game and there's several points where they just inject way more battles than necessary, including the same rival rematch three or four times in a row. The level curve is incredible, pure stellar, the pokemon selection is great and gives you some great freedom in battles which makes them feel even better, battling just feels good, when it's not a friend battle or against grunts then you've got some very neat fights going on constantly. The rather few new pokemon does hurt the region's personality, you can go ages without seeing a trainer use a new pokemon and most riding pokemon aren't even of the region, I hope regional variants fixes that with SM. The gym system is a zombie at this point, it's just there so you kinda have an idea of why you're following the straight line forward most of the time.

All in all, the SM stuff we've seen really seems to fix everything from XY, like XY is the transitional gen between 5 and 7 with a lack of innovation and ideas that are executed worse than in those two gens. I really, really hope they have a level curve that's this good for SM.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

it never occurred to me that they are rabbits. whoa

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

from what i understand plusle is the on reading for the rabbit kanji, and minun is the kun reading

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I finished my first Nuzlocke! By finish I, of course, mean that I got wiped out to Dianthe's Mega Gardevoir.

Then i gave up and just did it again with revives (all i had to do was loving set up Stealth Rock on the first turn and use Golem to beat up Hawlucha, then Durant would be able to sweep the rest no problem) Boy is a nuzlocke a different experience, I don't really have the patience to do it again.

Anyway, general thoughts on XY are the same I had a while after playing them the first time, the story is trash, every character is lame, Malva is so entirely out of nowhere and does nothing with her reveal, the cut content is fairly easy to deduce, mega evolution is not implemented well into the main game and there's several points where they just inject way more battles than necessary, including the same rival rematch three or four times in a row. The level curve is incredible, pure stellar, the pokemon selection is great and gives you some great freedom in battles which makes them feel even better, battling just feels good, when it's not a friend battle or against grunts then you've got some very neat fights going on constantly. The rather few new pokemon does hurt the region's personality, you can go ages without seeing a trainer use a new pokemon and most riding pokemon aren't even of the region, I hope regional variants fixes that with SM. The gym system is a zombie at this point, it's just there so you kinda have an idea of why you're following the straight line forward most of the time.

All in all, the SM stuff we've seen really seems to fix everything from XY, like XY is the transitional gen between 5 and 7 with a lack of innovation and ideas that are executed worse than in those two gens. I really, really hope they have a level curve that's this good for SM.

I didn't know there was a Malva reveal until this thread started talking about it a few months ago :v:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Wow smug dragonite loving owns

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Solumin posted:

I didn't know there was a Malva reveal until this thread started talking about it a few months ago :v:

If you didn't have to go out of your way to see her say she's evil then maybe we would've found out when intended, still, boy does she hate you and she is evil
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Malva#Pok.C3.A9mon_X_and_Y_2

Marlva Before A Rematch posted:

Oh, I can't tell you how happy I am to meet you again... I feel like my heart might just burst into flames. I'm burning up with my hatred for you, runt!

Malva After Beating You in the Chateau posted:

I am delighted! Yes, delighted that I could squash you beneath my heel.

She just happens to be very evil and hate you very, very much but at no point does she Do anything negative against you. With the holocaster only using blue textures and the "full" character model I didn't even realize she was the same person!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Malva makes a lot of sense once you connect the dots.
The first dot being 'she wears all red' in a game where wearing all red makes you a bad guy.
The second dot is she's the holocaster lady
(It did however also take me a bit to realize she was the holocaster lady)
The third being that she was being pretty drat patronizing towards you when she explained the Elite 4 layout. (I'm sure this will be no problem for the boy who defeated big bad Team Flare)

But yeah, beyond that you don't really get a lot of what Malva's deal is. You just know she was in Team Flare and is extremely salty about you stopping them.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'd like Malva to crush me beneath her heel.