Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mover posted:

Kieron Gillen's Kid Loki run could work. It's collected in two volumes (Journey into Mystery complete collection).

Loki is obviously a pretty established character, but the background of the story is that the old super villain Loki, who never really had a ton of characterization besides being jealous of his brother and being generically evil, has died. Well, there was a huge assault on Asgard and during it, Loki turns on his allies and sacrifices his life to save the heroes (and his brother, Thor).

But he made some powerful mystical arrangements and deals beforehand, and instead of disappearing or going to the afterlife, he is reborn as a child. And everyone is hoping that this will be a real second chance, Loki included.

The whole story is very tightly plotted, with everything that happens coming up again later and kinda converging on this excellent, and extremely definite ending.

Kid Loki is literally my favorite Marvel character ever but it totally doesn't fall in line with what he's asking. To get the full story and Gillen's intentions you kinda have to read the various tie-ins/crossover events that feature Kid Loki, and on top of that Loki's journey doesn't end after JiM considering how internally arc-crucial YA volume 2 and Ewing's AoA run is to Kid Loki.

It's definitely a great character-first arc and story, it's just not one that fits neatly into a trade. It's a mess of issues spread out over like six ongoings and two line-wide crossovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Kid Loki is literally my favorite Marvel character ever but it totally doesn't fall in line with what he's asking. To get the full story and Gillen's intentions you kinda have to read the various tie-ins/crossover events that feature Kid Loki, and on top of that Loki's journey doesn't end after JiM considering how internally arc-crucial YA volume 2 and Ewing's AoA run is to Kid Loki.

It's definitely a great character-first arc and story, it's just not one that fits neatly into a trade. It's a mess of issues spread out over like six ongoings and two line-wide crossovers.

There's a New Mutants and a couple of Thor crossovers that are pretty vital, but you get a complete story arc by the end of Journey into Mystery.And you don't need much backstory for him, Either the first Thor or the First Avengers movie would tell you enough about what the character used to be. and the character in Young Avengers and Agent of Asgard is a pretty different character.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Young Avengers Loki is written by Gillen and is very, very clearly the same character. Like, it's pretty much the next aspect of the story and then sets up AoA which Ewing carries the themes that Gillen was ruminating on to their natural conclusion. If you read just his Journey into Mystery arc you're getting barely a third of the character arc that Gillen was going for.

Also, Fear Itself (rather, what Loki does in Fear Itself) is 100% necessary so the thematic climax of his JiM run has any impact. I mean, that is the entirety of what the arc builds to, and only works if you're aware of what specifically Loki did during FI going in.

Again, love Gillen Loki, favorite Marvel character ever. But it's way more of a complicated recommendation than "just read Gillen's JiM run", it's got a lot of moving parts to the arc to make it work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Young Avengers Loki is written by Gillen and is very, very clearly the same character. Like, it's pretty much the next aspect of the story and then sets up AoA which Ewing carries the themes that Gillen was ruminating on to their natural conclusion. If you read just his Journey into Mystery arc you're getting barely a third of the character arc that Gillen was going for.

Also, Fear Itself (rather, what Loki does in Fear Itself) is 100% necessary so the thematic climax of his JiM run has any impact. I mean, that is the entirety of what the arc builds to, and only works if you're aware of what specifically Loki did during FI going in.

Again, love Gillen Loki, favorite Marvel character ever. But it's way more of a complicated recommendation than "just read Gillen's JiM run", it's got a lot of moving parts to the arc to make it work.

Journey into Mystery starts during Fear Itself, It's literally the best thing about Fear Itself. You're probably thinking of Loki during Siege, and I think JiM fills you in on the blanks enough that it's not strictly necessary. And yes they continue to do things with Kid Loki after JiM, but you get a complete story arc involving a (kinda) new character with a beginning middle and definitely an end just by reading JiM and it's crossovers.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Thanks for the recommendations, I've got a whole bunch of new stuff to read now!

Equilibrium posted:

If you want to get into superhero comics you're simply going to have to get over this eventually. It's kind of weird that you want relatively self-contained, complete stories (this is good), but also need them to have them validated by the ongoing canon of middling titles that you wouldn't want to read anyways.

Retcons, the grand narrative of the ~shared universe~, none of that poo poo is real. Good stories are good stories. Grant Morrison's Animal Man will always be the Animal Man, it really doesn't matter if Jeff Lemire put out a mediocre book with the same name 20 years later. It's like how everyone will continue to reference Miller's Batman: Year One and not that dopey Zero Year poo poo that's technically canon (or isn't, post-Rebirth?? I dunno, comics). Terminator 2 isn't ruined by all those terrible sequels that never happened, and good comics aren't ruined because someone let Brian Michael Bendis write the next chapter.
Frankly, I could actually care less about validation within the larger continuity. It would be preferable, in fact, if the creators came up with new superheroes and then stopped using them when they ran out of good stories to tell with them. Bonus points if they don't try to fit it within an existing world and make up a new world instead, or at least a new location within an existing world, to tell their story, but I have enough awareness of the genre to understand that either of those things is incredibly rare.

The reason I'm looking for what I'm looking for is two-fold. First, to me, the whole point of a story is to see what the characters are really made of and to explore how they react to extreme circumstances. For it to be meaningful, the character must come out the other side changed in a meaningful way. A character can only go through this kind of thing a finite number of times before they cease being who they were so completely that they effectively become new characters. The idealistic young soldier can only become the grizzled veteran once, to use a common example. To put the character through the things that would make them grizzled, but have them be unchanged at the end is to cheapen the whole experience and deny any emotional punch the story might have had.

If the characters don't change, then they're no more than props to advance some external story, and I have absolutely no interest in that. If a story could be told with essentially interchangeable characters, it's not a good story. That's the literal definition of melodrama, no matter how well-told the melodrama is, it's still melodrama.

Second, for a character or story to resonate with me, it needs to have a true beginning, middle, and end. If a character doesn't change in response to the story, then the beginning has no meaning. If a character never ends, then the middle has no poignancy or joy, since it is the end that gives the middle meaning. Otherwise it is just an endless series of unconnected events, and no matter how well told, that isn't a good story either.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sorry for the double-post, but doing a little reading on the Kid Loki stuff, as long as it was all collected in a single place and could be read meaningfully without having to have read a half-dozen other series, I'm still on board. I can deal with it not ending, so long as it meets the other requirements, which would at least let me pretend that it ended there, just like how I currently pretend that the second and third Matrix movies just mass hysteria and never really got made or how, immediately after the publication of Hyperion, Dan Simmons accidentally fell head-first into a throttling woodchipper while clutching any unpublished manuscripts that he may have had lying around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You could read Daredevil: Born Again, and never read any other Daredevil comic and probably be satisfied.

Edit: I wanna give you more suggestions, but if you're gonna get caught up in continuity hiccups, I don't think super hero comics are for you at all.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 30, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Azathoth posted:

Sorry for the double-post, but doing a little reading on the Kid Loki stuff, as long as it was all collected in a single place and could be read meaningfully without having to have read a half-dozen other series, I'm still on board. I can deal with it not ending, so long as it meets the other requirements, which would at least let me pretend that it ended there, just like how I currently pretend that the second and third Matrix movies just mass hysteria and never really got made or how, immediately after the publication of Hyperion, Dan Simmons accidentally fell head-first into a throttling woodchipper while clutching any unpublished manuscripts that he may have had lying around.

All issues are on Marvel Unlimited. Here's a reading list.

Yeah, it's insanely complicated though.

Okay first you basically have to provide the context to your wife about both Siege and Fear Itself as events. They're both...not...great events (Siege is okay, but Fear Itself is Not Good) but they have issues written by Gillen and stuff Loki does in them that's internal-arc crucial, especially the latter event.

Siege: Loki
Siege 4
New Mutants 11
Thor 611-614
Thor 12 (JMS run)
Thor 615-621
Mighty Thor (2011) 1-6
Journey into Mystery 622, 626.1, 623
Fear Itself 2-3
Journey into Mystery 624-630
Fear Itself 7, 7.2
Mighty Thor 7
Shattered Heroes Event
Journey into Mystery 631-636 and Mighty Thor 8-12, 12.1 alternating every issue starting with JiM 631 and ending with JiM 636. So, JiM 631 then Mighty Thor 8 then JiM 632 etc.
Exiled Event
Exiled 1
Journey into Mystery 637-638 and New Mutants 42-43 alternating every issue starting with JiM 637 and ending with New Mutants 43
Journey into Mystery 639-641
Everything Burns Event
Mighty Thor 18-21 and JiM 642-645, alternating every issue starting with Mighty Thor 18 and ending with JiM 645
Young Avengers 1-15. If it's been a while since your wife has read Gillen's run on this she should reread it because the next run is a direct sequel to it.
Loki: Agent of Asgard 1-5
Original Sin: Thor and Loki 1-5
Loki: Agent of Asgard 6-17

For reference: Siege is an event where Norman Osborn, director of S.H.I.E.L.D. (retitled H.A.M.M.E.R.), invades an Asgard floating above Oklahoma named Asgardia. Fear Itself is an event where Odin's brother the Serpent wages war on Asgard (the real one) by dropping a bunch of faux Asgardian weapons that are powered by humanity's fear. Fear Itself is ultra stupid but Loki ends up playing a crucial role in what happens.

For reference, I consider this run of comics to have one of the best and most definitive endings to a character's arc ever. The end to Loki: Agent of Asgard is unbelievably good.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 30, 2016

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Awesome, thanks!

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe
I haven't read a lot of Avenger's comics, but from what I have seen I really like Cap's role on the team. He's not the strongest, fastest, or smartest member, but he's their leader because of his integrity and the respect that brings. Handled correctly that could be an interesting dynamic, showing how Cap handles that responsibility and also how other characters deal with being lead by a guy they could probably take 1-on-1. Does anyone have suggestions for books that look at that dynamic or show Cap as a leader?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hickman's Avengers run 2012?-2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In terms of respect, that sure ain't the run, but it was definitely an interesting time for the Cap/Avengers dynamic How does Steve losing all his powers, becoming an old man and going to war with Iron Man strike you? and leads to the best two events Marvel's seen in years.
(and DONT start with New Avengers, IMO. I think the way it goes back to shed light on the first arc of Avengers means it should be read as it came out, a few months behind.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 2, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If you're gonna read Hickman's A/NA (it's definitely not about Cap as a leader, but a major focus of the run is about how Cap's morals stand up to scrutiny and how total idealism is toxic in much the same way as total pragmatism is), you mine as well read the entirety of his Fantastic Four/FF to A/NA run, since it's really a saga.

Okay, gently caress. I think I got the loving list down.

To enjoy Secret Wars fully, this is the reading order:

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four #1-5
Dark Reign: The Cabal
Fantastic Four: #570-588
FF: #1-11
Fantastic Four: #600-611 and FF #12-23 alternating every issue, so in other words starting with F4 600 before reading FF 12, then F4 601, then FF 13, and so on, only doubling together F4 605.1 and F4 605 as one. If it's read in the correct order you should start with F4 600 and end with FF 23.
This reading order for Hickman's run of Avengers, New Avengers, Infinity, and Secret Wars, except for from between Secret War #6 and Secret War #7, I read
Planet Hulk #1-5
Infinity Gauntlet #1-5
Old Man Logan #1-4
Thors: #1-4
E is for Extinction #1-4
Civil War: #1-5
Marvel 1872: #1-4
Siege: #1-4

After Secret War #9, I read
Old Man Logan #5

Then after, any Warzones that sound interesting or potentially cool.

Is there any other loving comic miniseries or oneshots I should be reading in addition to this.

Comics are loving dumb, guys.

You should also read redbackground's reading list for A/NA (I link it in the above post) over that image, it's a better reading order. Makes the story flow better.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I only listed avengers cuz cap isn't in ff or na (e: okay he's in the beginning of na)

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe
Awesome, thank you! A spreadsheet with 100+ entries to check off is right up my alley.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FWIW, I don't agree with that. Most of the Secret Wars minis are completely unnecessary to the overall story. The only ones I would really call important are Thors and Siege, and even those you could easily skip without missing much.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That was written off what people suggested I read. I should really update the list to only reflect Thors and Siege, because as you say they're the only SW 2015 crucial tie-ins.

IG, Planet Hulk, A-Force, and Mrs. Deadpool are all really good minis, though.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 2, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That was written off what people suggested I read. I should really update the list to only reflect Thors and Siege, because as you say they're the only SW 2015 crucial tie-ins.

IG, Planet Hulk, A-Force, and Mrs. Deadpool are all really good minis, though.

I haven't read all of them, but all the ones I've read have been good, and when they were coming out most people gave positive reviews to all of them. Even Siege and Thors aren't necessary, just that reading Secret Wars without them spoils their endings and reading them first gives a bit of context.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I read everything about a month ago and honestly it's all pretty good. There's some really good stuff, and then some stuff that is just ok. It's pretty much all 4-5 issues tops so they tend to be quick reads.
The only one that I'd say really wasn't good was, sadly, Ultimate End.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Please don't read all that FF stuff because Captain America isn't in any of it.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
hello friends :)

i've been reading alias + the new JJ and liking it a lot. is there anything else with a female main character (who is preferably of the smart/resourceful type rather than someone with lots of crazy powers) that i might enjoy? i have no knowledge of anything so recs are super appreciated. thanks!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lovechop posted:

hello friends :)

i've been reading alias + the new JJ and liking it a lot. is there anything else with a female main character (who is preferably of the smart/resourceful type rather than someone with lots of crazy powers) that i might enjoy? i have no knowledge of anything so recs are super appreciated. thanks!

The manhunter series from the 00s and Gotham Central both come to mind.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

After Alias, Jessica showed up in a short series called The Pulse, which had her team up with Ben Urich (who you may know from the Netflix Daredevil show). It's got a lighter tone than Alias, and different artists (although Gaydos drew 1 issue). It's slightly continuity heavy in that the stories intertwine with stuff happening in the Marvel U at the time, but it does a good job of explaining things well from what I remember.
https://www.comixology.eu/Pulse/comics-series/9931?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

Bendis also wrote a short-lived Spider-Woman book which was pretty great (only 7 issues though), with Alex Maleev on art. The character has powers and the story is less grounded than Alias/JJ, but you might still enjoy it.
https://www.comixology.eu/Spider-Woman-2009-2010/comics-series/2691?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

You could also try something along the lines of Greg Rucka and JH Williams' Batwoman
https://www.comixology.eu/Batwoman-Elegy/comics-story-arc/632?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL3N0b3J5bGluZXM
(the run continues past those 4 issues.... it was collected into a physical paperback collection but that doesn't seem to be available digitally).

There was a subsequent stand-alone Batwoman series which Williams wrote with W. Hayden Blackman, and did some of the art for also (although they both left after a disagreement with DC, and the run was concluded by Marc Andreyko). A new series has just been announced also.

Or also some of the recent Batgirl series by Cameron Stewart, Brandon Fletcher and Babs Tarr:
https://www.comixology.eu/Batgirl-2...C9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

Batgirl is fun but pretty soap opera-y? I guess. So I don't know if that will hold much appeal or not. But she doesn't have powers, just gadgets and fighting skills. Same as Batwoman above. Batgirl also has a couple of new series under DC's Rebirth banner.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

wow, these all look fantastic! thanks a bunch you guys, i'll have to check everything out

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lovechop posted:

wow, these all look fantastic! thanks a bunch you guys, i'll have to check everything out

Give Marc Andreyko's Manhunter a shot, too.

edit: oh snap, didn't see it already mentioned

Have you ever read any Ms. Tree?

I would definitely check out Chase by JHW3 and Dan Curtis Johnson. It's all been collected in a single trade.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 11, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I know a lot of people basically say Chase was DC's answer to Alias. In the 'tough cynical lady protagonist tries to put past ties to the superhero world behind her, but is unable to' sense, not the 'tons of swearing, sex and scenes of heroine Googling stuff while on the can' sense.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, I know a lot of people basically say Chase was DC's answer to Alias. In the 'tough cynical lady protagonist tries to put past ties to the superhero world behind her, but is unable to' sense, not the 'tons of swearing, sex and scenes of heroine Googling stuff while on the can' sense.

Chase came first by like 3 years.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

If the books don't need to be cape books then I would suggest Queen & Country and Whiteout by Rucka. Maybe Lazarus (only read a bit of this, kinda sci-fi ) and Velvet (own but have not read, someone feel free to tell me why I'm wrong). Q&C are spy books revolving around a specific MI6 agent, generally does action thriller. Whiteout is a murder mystery in Antarctica, and from distant memory I thought it did a good job of using the environment.

I can think of other female-lead books but I'm not sure they meet the "smart/capable" criteria as what I read involved everyone being a moron or at least not being particularly super (Rachel Rising, maybe Revival). Edit: I thought Rachel Rising got too stupid and slow so don't read that. I just don't know how firm your criteria are.

Love & Rockets if you're fine with soap operas of a sort. It's a very long running series about either a Mexican village (it eventually shifts heavily to the women) or two 80s punk women.

If you're OK with man-woman books then maybe Powers by Bendis, which is about cops in a world with superheroes. Or Jinx (bounty hunter) or Scarlet (revenge story + Occupy before Occupy).

Kabuki if you want weird but pretty, although I have not read beyond the first couple books. Japanese ninja bounty hunter... sorta.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 12, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Current Spider-Woman is basically exactly what you're looking for. Start from issue 6 (when she gets her new, current outfit), it's thematically and tonally of a piece with original Alias, but way less explicit.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Picked up The Fade Out. I really like the whole Brubaker and Philips combo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

obi_ant posted:

Picked up The Fade Out. I really like the whole Brubaker and Philips combo.

Read criminal and fatale next. They are also currently three issues in kill or be killed

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Read criminal and fatale next. They are also currently three issues in kill or be killed

And Sleeper! It's my favorite of all the Brubaker/Phillips collaborations. The sequel, Point Blank, is required reading as well, but Colin Wilson drew that one, and he isn't as good as Phillips.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Hey, so between the first Incal book being on Amazon Prime Reader, and me having picked up a random Valerian trade a while ago from my local used comics shop, I've been thinking about getting into more French/European sci-fi comics. Any recommendations?

There's this sale at ComiXology and I'm definitely at least picking up all of the first Incal series, but I assume anything from that is good? Lord knows I probably can't afford to just drop 100 bucks on all of it in one go.

EDIT: God help me I bought all those books. But recommendations of other Moebius or atuff in the Valerian series or related/similar stuff are still welcome.

joehonkie fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 18, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

joehonkie posted:

EDIT: God help me I bought all those books.

Ya did good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Started reading Locke & Key yesterday, since I liked Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box and thought it was cool that he was writing horror comics.

I'm currently on volume 3 and I'll probably have the whole series finished tomorrow. I can't stop. Help.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm trying to track down issues of Electric Company comics that deal with racism (already have Judgment Day, looking for others), like the comic that is about a war veteran freaking out about his hometown mistreating the memory of a fallen veteran, with the twist being that the brother-in-arms that died was black.

Apparently there were a lot of stories like that in the publishing run they did through the 50s, etc., and I'm having difficulty tracking down specific issue references.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

chitoryu12 posted:

Started reading Locke & Key yesterday, since I liked Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box and thought it was cool that he was writing horror comics.

I'm currently on volume 3 and I'll probably have the whole series finished tomorrow. I can't stop. Help.

Locke and Key was a great series you're fortunate you don't have to sit through the excruciating breaks between the final arcs

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How similar is the IDW Turtles series to the original Mirage books?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's a serious story like the originals, but not quite as grim.

I think of it as taking pretty much every version of the Turtles, mixing them in a blender, and then picking and choosing the best bits. It's Eastman taking those original ideas of the characters to their best potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Eastman's not really the head writer or anything. He's just the guy they ask if this is a good idea or not.