Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
There was also the later stand alone program: Kai's Power Goo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lowen SoDium posted:

There was also the later stand alone program: Kai's Power Goo.
Power Goo was the poo poo in the mid 90s. You can morph things and poo poo!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

FilthyImp posted:

Power Goo was the poo poo in the mid 90s. You can morph things and poo poo!

Mostly poo poo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Mostly poo poo.
Kai's Power Poo.

This is what game copiers looked like in 1984.

This is what game copiers looked like in the mid-90s.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mak0rz posted:

My new job has me learning InDesign basically on the fly and I'm glad that the UI isn't a clusterfuck of garbage (at least not for my purposes).

I'll concede that InDesign isn't too bad. I think Photoshop is OK, but I suspect that's only because I've used every version since the Win98 days, so I got to learn a simple version and then get used to the new stuff in small increments. Illustrator is ... a thing. I mean, I can and have used it productively, but it feels like it's designed by aliens or Germans or some other group that just doesn't think the same way I do.

Things I want in a vector drawing program: Easy ways to rotate, do boolean operations on, mirror, and otherwise operate on vector shapes, in an interface that makes it obvious what I'm working on and what things belong together how, perhaps with a trivial way of picking new fill and line colors.

Things from that list that feel like a top priority in Illustrator:

(OK, picking colors is easy enough if you've got a decent preset of them loaded up. God knows why they don't make it trivial and obvious how to grab one from a color picker, though.)

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Oct 1, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Kins posted:

This is what game copiers looked like in 1984.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I wanted to post "This is what game copiers looked like in 1996" but I could find a good picture of a first-gen consumer CD burner. :(

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Kins posted:

I wanted to post "This is what game copiers looked like in 1996" but I could find a good picture of a first-gen consumer CD burner. :(

This is what my dad had (he was a game copying enthusiast going way back), but it was a bit later on I think:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've been racking my brain lately, trying to figure out a couple of old games I played at a friend's house when I was a kid. It would have been around the early 90s, and I remember we played a lot of Golden Axe, so he definitelyprobably had a Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, based on how I remember the graphics. All of the other ports I've seen have terrible graphics in comparison to what I remember, so I'm pretty sure that was the system. It could have been a Sega Master System instead, but I don't think so.
E: It was probably a Master System, based on the one game I have found now.

My issue is that I have a vague recollection of some other games we played, but I just haven't been able to identify them.

For one of the games, I remember something about beating a boss, and the dungeon/castle collapsing afterwards. I know that's a pretty common trope. I also remember something about the player character being able to turn into a bird and some other things, and that touching water as a bird would kill you. The boss dungeon thing and turning into a bird may have been two different games, I don't remember. It's been ~25 years, after all.
E2: It may have been Wonder Boy 2 or Wonder Boy 3, but I'm not 100% sure, even after having watched some gameplay videos. Probably WB3, if I had to hazard a guess.

I also remember a horizontal SHMUP game with a sort of moon surface, where you could go through gates in the surface and continue playing through underground caverns.
E: I think I've found the game. It was Transbot for the Master System:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kzmHCYnSQg

Does any of that ring a bell for any of you?

As I said, I'm fairly sure we played on a Sega Mega Drive, but not 100% certain.
E3: Probably wasn't a Mega Drive, but a Master System, or possibly both.

E4: Well, it's sort of amazing how much you can actually sort of work out for yourself, once you start asking people about it :v:

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Oct 1, 2016

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Data Graham posted:

If GIMP still doesn't have that then it means it basically hasn't made any progress since I last gave up on it around 1998.
If it has, I haven't noticed and I use it all the time.

it sucks poo poo

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

KozmoNaut posted:

As I said, I'm fairly sure we played on a Sega Mega Drive, but not 100% certain.
E3: Probably wasn't a Mega Drive, but a Master System, or possibly both.

To muddy the waters further for you, the Mega Drive is backwards compatible with the Master System via the Power Base Converter. You could've been playing both Mega Drive and Master System games on the same console. Seeing as how you're not calling it the Genesis, I guess that's pretty likely.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

azurite posted:

To muddy the waters further for you, the Mega Drive is backwards compatible with the Master System via the Power Base Converter. You could've been playing both Mega Drive and Master System games on the same console. Seeing as how you're not calling it the Genesis, I guess that's pretty likely.

That just opens whole new dimensions of "poo poo, I didn't know you could do that" :psyduck:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got a third party adapter from Hong Kong because the official one that fit the Genesis model 2 was ridiculously expensive. It works pretty well.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Kai's Power Tools had an extremely iconoclastic UI for a commercial program. It was terrible and there were so many complaints from the paying user base they reverted it to a more useable by non-developer endusers.

:stare:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:catstare:

That's worse than Kid Pix.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Ah, the good ole days, where "artistic" and hard-to-use esoteric UIs won out over pragmatic design. If the space had texture and art, it could never be considered "wasted".

See also, basically every 90s RTS and RPG game.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Admittedly some of those games had the excuse that they could only render their software 3D in a tiny viewport, and after adding the rest of the UI they still had a lot of empty space to fill.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I rest my case.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Computer viking posted:

I'll concede that InDesign isn't too bad. I think Photoshop is OK, but I suspect that's only because I've used every version since the Win98 days, so I got to learn a simple version and then get used to the new stuff in small increments. Illustrator is ... a thing. I mean, I can and have used it productively, but it feels like it's designed by aliens or Germans or some other group that just doesn't think the same way I do.

Things I want in a vector drawing program: Easy ways to rotate, do boolean operations on, mirror, and otherwise operate on vector shapes, in an interface that makes it obvious what I'm working on and what things belong together how, perhaps with a trivial way of picking new fill and line colors.

Things from that list that feel like a top priority in Illustrator:

(OK, picking colors is easy enough if you've got a decent preset of them loaded up. God knows why they don't make it trivial and obvious how to grab one from a color picker, though.)

Try Flexisign. Been using it forever for basic sign design. Ive always thought of it as a streamlined illustrator for the industry, especially since adobes UI has become so obtuse.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Last Chance posted:

This is what my dad had (he was a game copying enthusiast going way back), but it was a bit later on I think:

I had one in 2002 or '03. It was Iomega's attempt to regain market share because no one was using Zip, or any other, kinds of discs.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Bryce 3D also comes to mind for over processed interfaces of the 90's. And this glossy look predates Apple's redo with OSX.

It really was the ultimate in obtuse as things were not exactly intuitive. They tried very hard to make it so with icons that match the action but then threw you off with mystery buttons like those spheres under the big arrows all have something to do with different render qualities.

Of course at the time 3D rendering programs were highly complex vertex by vertex modelling so this made creating basic scenes very quick and easy in comparison.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is what all of Apple's "skeuomorphic" interfaces look like to me. Thank god that fad is over.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Apple's stuff is pretty constrained in comparison.

And it certainly got a bit weird as they started using the brushed metal look for "pro" apps to match the plastic vs metal laptops styling of the time. It then looked so nice that it was adopted across the whole interface in Tiger.

Jobs got really in love with the leather on his Italian couches and insisted that it be applied to the calendar apps and subsequently other skeudomorphic elements like the felt in the Games app.

Ives pretty much hated the use of it and was quick to get rid of it when Jobs died.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WebDog posted:

Ives pretty much hated the use of it and was quick to get rid of it when Jobs died.

It stuck around after Jobs died until Forstall was given the boot. And it was the leather on his airplane seats lol.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And then they overcorrected by making a "button" into just a blue text label with no borders.

It's possible to take Tufte too seriously

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This reminds me of this game (and other poo poo) disc I used to have. Maybe you can all help me!

It contained a whole bunch of interactive stuff, but I only remember three things:
  • A "pool table maker," basically. You had a surface that you could add holes, ridges, bumps, and other obstacles and lay down some balls that you can shoot around with a cue.
  • A game where you are given an image that has been distorted in a number of ways. You have a list of little alien dudes that each distort (or rotate/flip) the image in their own ways. The goal of the game was to use the right aliens in the right order on an untouched image to make it look like the one given to you.
  • A trading game with a purple nerdy octopus/alien. You start with a few items and the goal is to acquire a certain set of items. To do this you need to call various nations to trade items with them until you end up with the set of goal items.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Mak0rz posted:

This reminds me of this game (and other poo poo) disc I used to have. Maybe you can all help me!

It contained a whole bunch of interactive stuff, but I only remember three things:
  • A "pool table maker," basically. You had a surface that you could add holes, ridges, bumps, and other obstacles and lay down some balls that you can shoot around with a cue.
  • A game where you are given an image that has been distorted in a number of ways. You have a list of little alien dudes that each distort (or rotate/flip) the image in their own ways. The goal of the game was to use the right aliens in the right order on an untouched image to make it look like the one given to you.
  • A trading game with a purple nerdy octopus/alien. You start with a few items and the goal is to acquire a certain set of items. To do this you need to call various nations to trade items with them until you end up with the set of goal items.

Sounds like the Thinkin' Things series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCFNUc10Vu8

I played the hell out of this as a kid

pretty soft girl has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Oct 3, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

pretty soft girl posted:

Sounds like the Thinkin' Things series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCFNUc10Vu8

I played the hell out of this as a kid

That's the one!

I forgot about the fripple house game. I loved that one.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

[*]A game where you are given an image that has been distorted in a number of ways. You have a list of little alien dudes that each distort (or rotate/flip) the image in their own ways. The goal of the game was to use the right aliens in the right order on an untouched image to make it look like the one given to you.

Did you grow up to be an optometrist?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Me IRL about 20 years ago. I ran and told my dad, I thought I'd committed an actual crime :ohdear:

Hahahahaha. This is the 90's version of ripping off that "REMOVING THIS IS ILLEGAL" tag from your mattress. I used to unplug my computer immediately.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

Hahahahaha. This is the 90's version of ripping off that "REMOVING THIS IS ILLEGAL" tag from your mattress. I used to unplug my computer immediately.

The what now tag?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jerry Cotton posted:

The what now tag?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAaoHX9KiWY

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I used to work with a dude like that only he had blonde hair. We called him Subjugator.

Something something the guy who's driving as well.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I just spent 5 minutes trying to plug a second IDE cable into this Pentium II motherboard. I kept making sure the cable was the right way around, and yes the plastic around the socket on the motherboard does have the notch in one side that lines up with the cable. I forgot about the thing where they started not having one pin in the socket and cable though :suicide: I guess now I should sort my ribbon cable collection into with-that-pin and without-that-pin?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Last Chance posted:

I had a Iomega Zip Drive at some point. It was terrible.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Everyone who owned a Zip Drive posted:

Totes.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Gonz posted:

I got one for free, I thought it was great because I didn't have a CD burner yet. I spent $100 on 10 disks for it, but it killed 3 of them with click of death so I sold the other 7 on eBay for a pretty big loss.

The class action lawsuit settlement of a few :10bux: off my next iomega purchase failed to entice me to ever buy another product they made.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

I dunno, they were pretty decCLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK*********GRRRRRRRRRRRR******CHUNK.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
If you thought Zip drives were lovely, you'll love JAZ drives. Ten times as expensive per cartridge and ten times more delicate. It'll be great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Buttcoin purse posted:

I just spent 5 minutes trying to plug a second IDE cable into this Pentium II motherboard. I kept making sure the cable was the right way around, and yes the plastic around the socket on the motherboard does have the notch in one side that lines up with the cable. I forgot about the thing where they started not having one pin in the socket and cable though :suicide: I guess now I should sort my ribbon cable collection into with-that-pin and without-that-pin?

You can just punch a hole in the connector, lol. I did that with one of mine a few weeks ago.