Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

food court bailiff posted:

Uh well I just bought Twilight Imperium, what am I getting myself into?

Oh you sweet summer child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I've bought many a game without having played them first, but I can't imagine doing that with TI3. Good luck, hope you enjoy it.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Uh well I just bought Twilight Imperium, what am I getting myself into? Are there any must-have resources for either learning or playing the game?

Also, what's the thread opinion on Takenoko? I played a 2P game of it this afternoon and it seemed fun but I don't know if it would hold up to repeated play.

Takenoko is basically fine. It's an acceptable gateway game with lots of pretty colours, though I find the myriad tiny rules exceptions frustrating to teach to new players.

It tends to run into problems with more serious gamers, as in the late game you can often pick up a gardener or garden goal card then if you're lucky, immediately fulfill it, throwing the game in your favour. Or, if you're not lucky, you get stuck with a hand of dead goal cards you can't easily resolve while everyone else fulfills all of theirs easily on the back of your efforts. But if you don't take yourself too seriously and just enjoy the general pleasantness of building up a garden it's a fun game.

Also Twilight Imperium is a hot mess of a game that throws a ton of different things together - area control, economics, politics, hand management, wargaming, base building, research trees - into a forbidding morass of rules that tries to simulate a game of Master of Orion. It probably wouldn't even be made nowadays and I am genuinely surprised FFG hasn't made a new edition of it yet. I wouldn't call it "good", but I enjoy it and it's definitely an experience. Expect player elimination, brinkmanship, kingmaking, bashing the leader, and basically everything that eurogames have been systematically eliminating from boardgaming for the last 20 years.

Generally, you should get the alternate strategy cards from Shattered Empire, or play with the modified Imperial strategy card. Both can be found in the Shattered Empire manual (pp14-17), you can either Rutibex up the cards or buy the expansion.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 3, 2016

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Anybody played Potion Explosion yet? I've been wanting to pick up a game with more "physical" aspects to it since the last few games I've bought were Ra, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, and Cacao. Anybody have any other good "physical" game recommendations?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Capsaicin posted:

Anybody played Potion Explosion yet? I've been wanting to pick up a game with more "physical" aspects to it since the last few games I've bought were Ra, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, and Cacao. Anybody have any other good "physical" game recommendations?

Galaxy Trucker.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Potion Explosion is pretty fun, it has that addicting combo mechanic that makes those type of puzzle games so fun.

Flick 'em Up is my favorite dexterity game. It's a great choice for families and will work well with all ages, but also a fun game for more typical gamers to change things up a bit. The scenarios offer a lot of variety in setup and game length as well.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bobvonunheil posted:

Also Twilight Imperium is a hot mess of a game...Expect player elimination, brinkmanship, kingmaking, bashing the leader, and basically everything that eurogames have been systematically eliminating from boardgaming for the last 20 years.

And thank god for that! Some times you need a big fun game of politics and dice rolling. Calculating cube ratios is for the birds! Twilight Imperium is a masterpiece, and the largest game that I can never find anyone to play with.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Oh, completely unrelated to TI - what's Junk Art like? My wife thought the box looked cool but I had never heard of it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I demoed the extra large version at Gencon. It's pretty neat, a good variation on the balanced type games. I don't like the cards that make you switch places and take over another person's sculpture though, I wouldn't play with them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oh, completely unrelated to TI - what's Junk Art like? My wife thought the box looked cool but I had never heard of it.

Paul from SU&SD likes it a lot, here's his take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaEUDnOrtow

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Twilight Imperium is a good game. YOU NEED THE EXPANSIONS. Also make sure you play with politics and political leaders and take out all the lame political cards from the main game. Destroy the Imperium card or whatever it's called from the main game. It's dumb.

If they could figure out how to do combat other than rolling a million dice then it'd be one of the best game experiences ever.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 3, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lord Frisk posted:

If you had held off, you could have gotten 50% off an in stock game for each p500 you'd pledged. That's how they structure their fall/winter sale.

Buy A Distant Plain for 50% off in a month or two .

I'm in Canada so I wanted to buy two things at once to save on shipping. And because I super duper preordered Imperial Struggle, I now have two p500s, so I'll get two cheap things in the fall sale.

Exactly what those will be? Probably Falling Sky and.... I have no idea. I'm sure the thread will tell me what to do when the time comes.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Played Junk Art a few times now, just 2p but even still it's quite fun and nice for a change of pace. All the different play modes work pretty well and there's some good variety.

Also got in a play of Terraforming Mars today. Played without the Corporate era cards but with advanced starting companies. Not sure exactly how long it took, I think around 2 hours, but like I had read about it it just flies by. There isn't much downtime, at least with 2, as turns are pretty quick and the actions relatively simple. Really nice engine building game and the spatial element of the board adds a nice little extra layer.There's also a ridiculous amount of cards, we had about a quarter of the deck left at the end and the corporate expansions adds almost a huge amount more. All the resource cubes can get a little fiddly and the component quality as everyone says is decent but not great, but isn't too big of a deal. Definitely recommended if you like economic engine builders.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What are the "bad" political cards in TI? I was planning on getting expansions after getting a few games under my belt, but if there's something super necessary for making the game really work let me know. Also, is it even worth playing 3/4 player, or should I really hold out for a six player table?

Also I hate to even ask this because it's super boring for anyone else in the thread whenever this question comes up, but...any good packing/sorting solutions for the game? The fancy printed cardboard thing with a cutout for the cards is obviously meant to be kept but there's also another weird unprinted cardboard plate thing and I'm pretty sure as soon as I snip the plastic pieces from the sprues it's all going to turn into a nigh-unmanageable mess anyway.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Also I hate to even ask this because it's super boring for anyone else in the thread whenever this question comes up, but...any good packing/sorting solutions for the game?

Here's my solution. Just a bunch of plano 3500s

Each race has an associated ziplock bag for leaders, command counters and control markers and there's one more generic plastic storage box (smaller than the plano 3500, I think 6 compartments) for all the remaining counters.

Tulpa fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 3, 2016

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Rutibex posted:

And thank god for that! Some times you need a big fun game of politics and dice rolling. Calculating cube ratios is for the birds! Twilight Imperium is a masterpiece, and the largest game that I can never find anyone to play with.

:ssh: that's not because of the game.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

CommonShore posted:

I'm in Canada so I wanted to buy two things at once to save on shipping. And because I super duper preordered Imperial Struggle, I now have two p500s, so I'll get two cheap things in the fall sale.

Exactly what those will be? Probably Falling Sky and.... I have no idea. I'm sure the thread will tell me what to do when the time comes.

Imperial Struggle won't ship until next year, so you won't get a deal on that one. Buy Thunder Alley when you have an opportunity. Game's amazing.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

What are the "bad" political cards in TI? I was planning on getting expansions after getting a few games under my belt, but if there's something super necessary for making the game really work let me know. Also, is it even worth playing 3/4 player, or should I really hold out for a six player table?

Also I hate to even ask this because it's super boring for anyone else in the thread whenever this question comes up, but...any good packing/sorting solutions for the game? The fancy printed cardboard thing with a cutout for the cards is obviously meant to be kept but there's also another weird unprinted cardboard plate thing and I'm pretty sure as soon as I snip the plastic pieces from the sprues it's all going to turn into a nigh-unmanageable mess anyway.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/674489/removing-political-chaff

This is a list of political cards you should remove due to them sucking - it makes politics much more interesting as the ones left are much nastier. Usually the ones removed are along the lines of "Good thing/bad thing happens to a player OR Nothing happens", which ends up just leading to people voting for "Nothing happens" to play safe, so the ones remaining force some kind of difficult decisions on the players.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lord Frisk posted:

Imperial Struggle won't ship until next year, so you won't get a deal on that one. Buy Thunder Alley when you have an opportunity. Game's amazing.

I didn't even take a closer look at Thunder Alley when I was browsing around because I have close to zero interest in car racing, but I do like a good game even if it's built on a theme I don't like (I don't spend much time colonizing the Carribean either, but here I am...).

I might just get Falling Sky or Virgin Queen if I only have one discount. Falling Sky seems cool but I already have one COIN game on the way. And Virgin Queen... well let's just say (and I'm sure you're all with me on this one), gently caress Imperial Spain .

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I have an easy solution for you. The Twilight Imperium 3 box is unnecessarily large and unwieldy. Throw it away and get a tin of Presidents Choice Luxury Biscuits. This tin is exactly the size you need to contain all TI3 components in a compact and easy to carry size:

Rumda posted:

:ssh: that's not because of the game.

Your right, all of my friends think they are too cool for board games :( Except Fluxx and Love Letter for some reason.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Rutibex posted:

I have an easy solution for you. The Twilight Imperium 3 box is unnecessarily large and unwieldy. Throw it away and get a tin of Presidents Choice Luxury Biscuits. This tin is exactly the size you need to contain all TI3 components in a compact and easy to carry size:

I put my copy of TI3 in a Battlestar Galactica expansion box (which for some reason is the same size as the original game)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I didn't even take a closer look at Thunder Alley when I was browsing around because I have close to zero interest in car racing, but I do like a good game even if it's built on a theme I don't like (I don't spend much time colonizing the Carribean either, but here I am...).

I might just get Falling Sky or Virgin Queen if I only have one discount. Falling Sky seems cool but I already have one COIN game on the way. And Virgin Queen... well let's just say (and I'm sure you're all with me on this one), gently caress Imperial Spain .

In my life I have seen maybe a combined total of 30 minutes of stock car racing, not counting Days of Thunder, but Thunder Alley is just a good game yo. I'm more interested in their F1 racing game because F1 is fewer cars and generally more technical, but Thunder Alley is getting a campaign-ish team manager expansion and if there's anything that gets me into sports it's managing sports.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Plus you'll have food for the first time you play the game. TI is so long starvation actually becomes an issue.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

CommonShore posted:

al-azad posted:

In my life I have seen maybe a combined total of 30 minutes of stock car racing, not counting Days of Thunder, but Thunder Alley is just a good game yo. I'm more interested in their F1 racing game because F1 is fewer cars and generally more technical, but Thunder Alley is getting a campaign-ish team manager expansion and if there's anything that gets me into sports it's managing sports.

Yeah, i care not a fart in the wind about nascar or racing, but its a game that plays up to seven smoothly and seamlessly, and is amazing fun with a fair amount of strategic thinking. Even with 7 players you never end up looking away from the board, because of how movement is managed, the board state changes every turn. This means even experienced players need have a B, C, and D plan ready for the inevitable fallout. On top of all this is the fair amount of politics that comes when a draft line leaves a corner....

Game is just amazing, and I recommend it to everyone who has ever breathed air or drank water.

(totally gently caress the spanish.)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zark the Damned posted:

Plus you'll have food for the first time you play the game. TI is so long starvation actually becomes an issue.

Are there any good solutions for the length of a TI game? Ways to pack the motherfucker up and put it away? My group has been talking about getting into it here and there but we don't often have more than 3-4 hours to play a game, and we can't just leave it out. Is it possible to just take pictures and stuff of the table and pack it away for another day?

e.

Lord Frisk posted:

Yeah, i care not a fart in the wind about nascar or racing, but its a game that plays up to seven smoothly and seamlessly, and is amazing fun with a fair amount of strategic thinking. Even with 7 players you never end up looking away from the board, because of how movement is managed, the board state changes every turn. This means even experienced players need have a B, C, and D plan ready for the inevitable fallout. On top of all this is the fair amount of politics that comes when a draft line leaves a corner....

Game is just amazing, and I recommend it to everyone who has ever breathed air or drank water.

(totally gently caress the spanish.)

:shepspends:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah I give not a single fig's rear end about nascar or car racing and with one play of TA I completely agree with Lord Frisk. It's a really, really good game, with lots of players, doesn't take ages, and applies its theme well according to the one nascar fan who was in the game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I never realized before getting into the scene recently how deep the board game hole goes

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Kashuno posted:

I never realized before getting into the scene recently how deep the board game hole goes

I think I found my limit when I didn't buy one of those ebay copies of Napoleon's Triumph.

If they actually reprinted it tho

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

T-Bone posted:

I think I found my limit when I didn't buy one of those ebay copies of Napoleon's Triumph.

If they actually reprinted it tho

I just looked at that and :chanpop: I had a hard time justifying buying scythe (but I did and played it for the first time this weekend, and have no regrets) I can't imagine going much higher

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CommonShore posted:

Are there any good solutions for the length of a TI game? Ways to pack the motherfucker up and put it away? My group has been talking about getting into it here and there but we don't often have more than 3-4 hours to play a game, and we can't just leave it out. Is it possible to just take pictures and stuff of the table and pack it away for another day?

I mean, it might be POSSIBLE, but there's a reason that people usually set aside an entire day for this game.

This is a picture on BGG of a 5-player game played to completion. And honestly, I think that one looks pretty tame for the games I've played. Like, if you do that, you have to figure there's at least an hour additional set up the second time you play.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

CommonShore posted:

You might pack a 3, maaaybe 4 player game in that time. But even with experienced players you are probably looking at 1 hour per player at least

You can use the simulated early turns setup to cut down on some time but really if you don't have 6 hours set aside you are better just playing something else I think. And to be perfectly frank i'll echo earlier sentiments that TI3 was a pretty cool (if flawed) game for the early 2000's, but nowadays feels overly long and bloated compared to competitors like Eclipse or Forbidden Stars.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's no good way to quickly set up and tear Twilight Imperium down. Takes forever both ways. It has just too many moving parts.

As for time, nothing beats experience. With everyone knowing the rules you can greatly decrease playtime. This generally leads to fewer combats as player begin to realize that combat is actually detrimental to winning the game. AP is another killer, as it is with all games. I don't play with anyone you dallys on their turn but if you do, implement a clock. A lot of things are supposed to be done in turn order but just do them simultaneously to save time as well, unless the order matters- like when someone is about to win. Let people take their turn while the previous person is buying units/techs. That sort of thing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Kashuno posted:

I just looked at that and :chanpop: I had a hard time justifying buying scythe (but I did and played it for the first time this weekend, and have no regrets) I can't imagine going much higher

Welcome to the thread, Bosgoon. :D

(also NT is the best game ever made and you all should be ashamed at not picking it up at 150 :v: )

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Buy it during the fall sale for 50% off. You've got enough new game on your table to sink your teeth into. Besides, Thunder Alley is a perfect holiday game, so having it come in the mail right around then wont hurt playability. The rules are simple, so you can slap it down in front of family for xmas or boxing day and everyone can scream at your cousin for shafting the draft line going into the final curve.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
TI 4th edition when

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Countblanc posted:

TI 4th edition when

It's called Eclips-(is knocked to the ground by rain of tomatoes and beer bottles)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Are there any good solutions for the length of a TI game?

Have the game board set up in advance, maybe including the accelerated start. Choose a time after which the next turn is the last (maybe half hour before quitting time?). Use a turn timer, overlapping turns, etc as others suggested.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Magnetic North posted:

It's called Eclips-(is knocked to the ground by rain of tomatoes and beer bottles)

Eclipse is a dry uninteractive euro game that murdered a much better space 4x game, and is currently wearing it's skin, like Buffalo Bill.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rutibex posted:

Eclipse is a dry uninteractive euro game that murdered a much better space 4x game, and is currently wearing it's skin, like Buffalo Bill.

Speaking from personal experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

StashAugustine posted:

Speaking from personal experience?

Nah, he only dresses his boardgames in the skins of breakfast foods.