Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fangz posted:

Get one warhound building to start with. You're need it for a character quest at some point.
Oh. Well, that definitely makes the decision easier. After, though?

Gorebulls: Do i want the armor or attack skill? On one hand, the beastmen are all about shredding their opponents quickly, but on the other, their armor is so much weaker that its a correspondingly higher value since the numbers are even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Go with the attack skill. Always be attacking.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The answer is obviously two gorebulls.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Safety Factor posted:

The answer is obviously two gorebulls.

Worked for me in a load of matches.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gorebulls are kinda nuts. They solve the usual melee hero guy problem by being huge and super fast and never tiring out.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sell me or unsell me on Steel Faith Overhaul.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I would look at the MS paint screenshots and realise somebody put those up and thought 'These look quality' and then assume the mod is the same.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Sell me or unsell me on Steel Faith Overhaul.

I've been using SFO for my current campaigns and I've found it to be very good. The creator seems to have his head screwed on straight, particularly with adding new units (sticks to lore, only new additions are Black Orcs with shields instead of great weapons, and Night Goblins with spears instead of swords), and made tweaks all across the game with the aim of making battles more significant and commonplace.

Replenishment buildings make money (though less than a dedicated industry building). Normally this would be an iffy change, but it works well with the below change.

Garrisons are much stronger, with a fully upgraded town being on the level of a midgame army. I like the change, as it means I can send my real armies elsewhere instead of sitting on garrison duty.

The skill revamp lets you make dedicated "governors" that can boost a province's economy substantially, as well as letting you play around with the skill trees more.

Magic is much more useful without being OP on the level of Molay's tweaks. Roughly on the level with Cataph's modified version of Molay's mod, IMO.

Agent caps have been severely reduced, so you won't be constantly drowning in sabotage attempts if you can get your own counter-espionage units in the game.

The biggest changes have been with faction balance, with Dwarfs getting a fantastic revamp since your army now actually feels like a rock-solid block of steel and beards. Most of their underpowered units (Irondrakes, Hammerers, Great Weapon users) now have legitimate uses in battle, and one fantastic tweak he made is letting Dwarf projectiles stagger enemies so they feel significantly mroe powerful (though a bit overpowered against Lords on foot). Another tweak he made is increasing Dwarf infantry mass to the point that your lines won't get turned into spaghetti instantly by chariots if they're braced properly.

It's a fantastic mod, I highly recommend it for a spin at the very least.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 2, 2016

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Here's the SFO page with a bunch of changes it makes: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/178298/steel-faith-overhaul-mod

His whole thing seems to be making the sides more distinct from each other in gameplay. Dwarfs are slower still but have even better armor, Chaos elite units are fewer in number but more powerful, etc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the change to dwarfs being slower. I feel like they should be a hell of a nut to Crack, but once you do, they shatter and you get to mop up. In vanilla, routing dwarfs can still outrun other infantry units which should be able to catch them.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is there a way to ground target with artillery?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Is there a way to ground target with artillery?

It's Alt or ctrl+right click with the unit selected.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Cool thanks.

Also the Sunmaker is pretty good artillery with the unfortunate side effect of shooting your own units in the back and causing disastrous losses unless carefully microed.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like the change to dwarfs being slower. I feel like they should be a hell of a nut to Crack, but once you do, they shatter and you get to mop up. In vanilla, routing dwarfs can still outrun other infantry units which should be able to catch them.

Chaos feels pretty good, too. Chosen are beasts. Chaos spawn go berserk and become uncontrollable, but they're tough, too. And VCs get skills that further reduce the upkeep for zombies, making throw-away armies of necromancers with 19 zombies much more viable.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

toasterwarrior posted:

Most of their underpowered units (Irondrakes, Hammerers, Great Weapon users) now have legitimate uses in battle,

Lol wat. Irondrakes assassinate lords and monsters in like 3 volleys, hammerers beat the rear end of pretty much every infantry unit and GW longbeards are essential against chaos. The dwarves problem is that those units are so hard to use and/or expensive in MP they limit you to a small army of decent units or a typical army of poo poo units.

Also they have no charge defence against large on an affordable scale like spears or halberdiers.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Don't all dwarfs have charge defense when braced?

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

wiegieman posted:

Yes, but they have so low mass it doesn't matter in the slightest. Only thing it feels like dwarfs can brace against is wolf and spider riders.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

wiegieman posted:

sorry i misspoke, some units have charge defence against large but not an anti-large bonus aside from slayers (who DONT have a charge defence against large but do have an anti-large bonus). ironbreakers have a charge defence against all but are so hilariously expensive as to not be a functional.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The more I play this game the more I feel like the single-player campaign has some real flaws.

Main thing is that the last third of any given game is always a huge slog. It feels like each game breaks down into the following stages:

1) The initial game where you're trying for a foothold. This part's great.

2) A major struggle against a primary enemy -- either you're #1 and they're #2 or vice-versa.

3) A giant mopping up phase where you have to try to finish off the various listed goals while constantly fighting off spam units from factions you don't give a poo poo about --skaelings, vargs, etc. Also, you don't get to actually fight combats any more, because there are too many of them all the time, so you have to auto-resolve constantly if you want to ever finish the game.

It was just mildly annoying as Empire and Vampire but I never bothered to finish my Beastman campaign because of it -- too much random crap all over the map that I could never quite polish off.

Don't get me wrong great game I just wish the mid and endgame were less spammy.

If I were a mod writer I'd write in a mod where factions had a "breaking point" and at some point the stragglers all just collapse into ruins. It would solve a lot of problems, not least of them the fact you can let one busted-up Chaos army wander around for fifty turns to extend the Age of Chaos diplomatic bonuses.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 3, 2016

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The more I play this game the more I feel like the single-player campaign has some real flaws.

Main thing is that the last third of any given game is always a huge slog. It feels like each game breaks down into the following stages:

2) A major struggle against a primary enemy -- either you're #1 and they're #2 or vice-versa.

3) A giant mopping up phase where you have to try to finish off the various listed goals while constantly fighting off spam units from factions you don't give a poo poo about --skaelings, vargs, etc. Also, you don't get to actually fight combats any more, because there are too many of them all the time, so you have to auto-resolve constantly if you want to ever finish the game.

It was just mildly annoying as Empire and Vampire but I never bothered to finish my Beastman campaign because of it -- too much random crap all over the map that I could never quite polish off.

Don't get me wrong great game I just wish the mid and endgame were less spammy.

I feel the same way and have yet to fully finish a game for this reason. I always get to phase 3 and start eyeing other factions campaigns.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

new phone who dis posted:

I feel the same way and have yet to fully finish a game for this reason. I always get to phase 3 and start eyeing other factions campaigns.

Every total war game.txt

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

At least it's last third of a game now, and you can probably power through with mostly autoresolve. With Rome 2 it was 2/3 of a game. And "age of peace?" is pretty fun in "stop fighting you assholes" kind of way.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Lol wat. Irondrakes assassinate lords and monsters in like 3 volleys, hammerers beat the rear end of pretty much every infantry unit and GW longbeards are essential against chaos. The dwarves problem is that those units are so hard to use and/or expensive in MP they limit you to a small army of decent units or a typical army of poo poo units.

Also they have no charge defence against large on an affordable scale like spears or halberdiers.

Granted this was before I used SFO and before the Beastman patches, so I didn't have a very good impression of elite Dwarf units then. I distinctly remember Hammerers barely beating Big 'Uns in the first Dwarf battle you're likely to do, which was a major turn off to watch.

Also on that note, SFO gives Longbeards Charge Defence versus All, while also boosting Dwarf shield units' damage across the board. In exchange, Dwarf units have the most expensive unit upkeep costs in the game, which really makes you feel like you're running an elite army against the Greenskin swarms.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man gently caress Karak Norn, attacking Altdorf towns right after my main army gets crushed by some other Empire provinces. Ugh.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Yeah as someone else said this describes almost every Total War game so far. #1 and #2 are great fun and the main reason (for me) that mini-campaigns tend to be so enjoyable.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

jokes posted:

Man gently caress Karak Norn, attacking Altdorf towns right after my main army gets crushed by some other Empire provinces. Ugh.

Funny how the AI always knows when you've just lost an army.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
So can you, if you look at the relative power bars in the diplomacy menu. If in the space of one turn the bar moves significantly in your favor then that faction has just lost either an army or a city, probably both.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

peer posted:

Yeah as someone else said this describes almost every Total War game so far. #1 and #2 are great fun and the main reason (for me) that mini-campaigns tend to be so enjoyable.

Ahh ok.

I just never get to use most of the endgame units =(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Arguably the end game problem describes essentially every 4x strategy game ever.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
A lot of the late game slowdown owes to the strength of defensive structures. Once you grab a couple provinces and wall them up, your chances of losing basically disappear. I've won against 2-3 stacks with a basic garrison and a lord / some swordsmen - the ai is so bad at sieges that there is never really any risk of losing any built up or defended territory.

Malagors start is pretty tough on v hard now that lore of the wild is not so good. It's hide and escape and survive until you can get somewhere to sack enough to get your "economy" going

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 3, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think I'd like a mod that quickly ramps into the mid-game, giving the AI and the player faster access to later troops and more importantly ease of recruitment for the AI, so I can't steamroll a quarter of the world with the basic infantry and missile units and a lord armed to the teeth in various magical items and outleveling the AI.

The last time I played greenskins and vampires, I took over so much territory so quickly I triggered the chaos invasion by turn 30.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah that's another pacing issue - teching up. I've yet to reach the end of a research tree in a campaign, and usually play like 5/6ths of the campaign with the same units you start the game with. Agents don't really even come online for the player until you're close to the tipping point always.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The main problem with the tech tree is lack of research acceleration. Good loving luck getting any kind of research bonuses going ever with Empire, (Do they even have research followers?) or making any kind of definable progress with Greenskin technology. The fact that they locked all the good Greenskin tech behind the upgraded Goblin Workshop actually bottlenecks them even harder.

Meanwhile, Dwarves and especially Vampires actually do have the means to crank up their research speed late game but their tech trees are so vast there's still no hope of finishing it. Chaos combines lack of reliable research boosts with a campaign that makes stalling too long overly dangerous so...

TLDR the only race I've ever maxed out the tech tree with is Beastmen, and that's including some campaigns where I was fiddling around to turn 300 or whatever.

That said, I play Warhammer the same way I do every TW game, lots of turns wasted fiddling around unlocking cool units and letting the AI build up because it makes the game more challenging and also lets you play with the fun stuff more.

Warhammer at least throws you some free Lords/Heroes/special units early game to make things a little less tedious. Most TW games trap you in basic spearmen/archer purgatory for eternity if you don't take some time to build up first.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 3, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cardiac posted:

Every total war game.txt

Yeah this is definitely the same problem that's plagued all Total Wars.

Turn the map half red in Rome and then just call it a day. The longer you play a campaign, the more of a slog it is. The beginning is the best.

I love the grand campaign map and all, but Total War games need more content than just "here's the map, have at it, see what happens" free mode over and over.

There need to be more directed, story-based campaigns. They've flirted with this a little bit with Rome and Warhammer but it needs to go way further. Right now we have like, what, one alternate campaign for beastmen? There should have been like 4 campaigns at launch, with more as DLC.

They don't need to each have a map the size of the grand campaign; in fact they shouldn't. Smaller maps designed to give you the #1 and #2 stage feelings of building up, and then just loving end the thing before you reach #3 level.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think I'd like a mod that quickly ramps into the mid-game, giving the AI and the player faster access to later troops and more importantly ease of recruitment for the AI, so I can't steamroll a quarter of the world with the basic infantry and missile units and a lord armed to the teeth in various magical items and outleveling the AI.

The last time I played greenskins and vampires, I took over so much territory so quickly I triggered the chaos invasion by turn 30.

Use the AI and Building mod by Celtik and use pfm to drop building requirements a level. That's what I normally run and it's a huge improvement in terms of getting the AI to not be clinically retarded and getting the game beyond the horde of swordsmen phase quicker

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Haha, I thought I was going to catch flak but everyone agrees with me! Yay!

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm suffering DLC paralysis where I keep putting off playing because I feel like the next DLC must be coming soon and I don't want to start without it. I wish they'd give some sort of timeline or announcement so I could get over it

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SickZip posted:

I'm suffering DLC paralysis where I keep putting off playing because I feel like the next DLC must be coming soon and I don't want to start without it. I wish they'd give some sort of timeline or announcement so I could get over it
I figure there's going to be a Grim and Grave style update for the Dwarves/Greenskins soon so i keep avoiding starting their campaigns. Ahh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Haha, I thought I was going to catch flak but everyone agrees with me! Yay!

I think I've actually finished a grand total of like 2 total war campaigns in my entire life, and I own every game except Napoleon and Atilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I had a brilliant idea over the weekend that would be a cool game addition: multiple sizes of units. You can build a band of orc boys starting out, but later on you can build a horde of orc boys thats the same unit but with more boys

Stack space is the main limit in your later armies. The early units scaling with the game would make them more practical and useful later on. It fits the tabletop game, the lore, and would help prevent late game armies being all weird armies of elites

• Locked thread