Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Aesma may have been a fool, but she was a fool who could split into a dozen godly war forms, rain fire from the sky, and pick up the universe to hit someone with it.

turns out being too dumb to know that you cant, or shouldnt, do something makes you basically invincible in this story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

All the demiurges are insane because only a lunatic could believe they het to rule all of creation.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
so if understand this, things like Mayas sword work on the principle of her wanting something to be cut in half enough for it to happen, right?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

so if understand this, things like Mayas sword work on the principle of her wanting something to be cut in half enough for it to happen, right?

I believe wanting something to happen is merely the first, but most important step. After that you have to make it happen by no longer giving a poo poo about things like "logic" or "possibilities" and doing it anyway.

Edit:

Basically this, except you give the permit to the universe.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 3, 2016

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
So I'm thinking about it, we might have this so far?:

1. desire to do something
2. then believe you can do it
3. ???
4. you do it.

What I wonder is, what comes after wanting to do something you believe you can do?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

thechosenone posted:

So I'm thinking about it, we might have this so far?:

1. desire to do something
2. then believe you can do it
3. ???
4. you do it.

What I wonder is, what comes after wanting to do something you believe you can do?

Skipping steps 2 and 3 is the first step towards Royalty, I think

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Dead Reckoning posted:

TBH I'd guess all this royalty business isn't as much a coherent philosophy the author is trying to articulate through is fight-ladies web comic as it is some cold-blooded poo poo for his characters to say to a motherfucker before dropping white fire on them.

nah

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Having a god-made kerjigger from before time shoved six inches into your corpus callosum probably helps.

Edit: I feel as though the philosophy commonly espoused in K6BD is only immediately applicable to people who fit such a description, much in the same way that an origami instruction manual is only useful to things that have hands and eyes.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Oct 3, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

paragon1 posted:

Edit: I feel as though the philosophy commonly espoused in K6BD is only immediately applicable to people who fit such a description, much in the same way that an origami instruction manual is only useful to things that have hands and eyes.

I've been trying to think how to phrase that for a while. Meti's sword manual for example will only work for you if you've got The Stuff; if you don't, you'll just die, and probably make quite a mess.

It's a philosophy that doesn't make kings, it finds them.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Meti's sword manuel was the one that taught you how to be a self-reliant farmer and ended with telling you to forget about swords and fighting, wasn't it?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The farmer thing was also part of the ending. Before that she expounds quite a bit on how the act of Cutting may be achieved, and it basically amounts to Wanting to Cut more than anything else, more than wanting to win, or even just survive. This doesn't make you unstoppable, it just makes you as strong as you can be, right up until some fucker gets lucky and separates your head from your shoulders (at which point if you're doing it right you'll kill him and ten of his buddies before you realise you're dead).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Given what's gone on so far in the story and the side stories that's a fair guess, but it hasn't been stated for certain, and I doubt it will be.

I think a lot of the people here trying to understand or codify the rules behind r/Royalty and how it functions are missing the point entirely. It's true that there's a lot of side material trying to explain it to varying degrees, but I think we're meant to take these explanations are bullshit. If you've read through, for example, Meti's Sword Manual and thought to yourself, "aha! I get it now," you've only fooled yourself.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's not too hard to get the gist of how it works but you probably don't want to overthink it.

In fact, don't think. Just do.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I figure that its that, and you sort of need to stumble onto the path of how to do that. Having a key of kings likely makes it easier to do so, and once you have, you likely have an easier time doing it again. after that.

Willpower seems to be a factor in strength, and in perhaps getting that initial spark.

It also might be that how one achieves this is different from person to person.

It might be like having a hand you didn't know you had: it would be hard to even move it at first, but after a while it would become natural.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Schwarzwald posted:

Given what's gone on so far in the story and the side stories that's a fair guess, but it hasn't been stated for certain, and I doubt it will be.

I think a lot of the people here trying to understand or codify the rules behind r/Royalty and how it functions are missing the point entirely. It's true that there's a lot of side material trying to explain it to varying degrees, but I think we're meant to take these explanations are bullshit. If you've read through, for example, Meti's Sword Manual and thought to yourself, "aha! I get it now," you've only fooled yourself.

From a writing perspective, CHIM and Royalty are both Buddhism with "mindfulness" swapped for "willing change on reality."

quote:

Mindfulness is the gentle effort to be continuously present with experience.

“Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way;
On purpose,
in the present moment, and
nonjudgmentally.”

Royalty is like mindfulness, but instead of reflecting inward, it is the inward self forever imposing on the universe.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Royalty is kinda awful and oppressive in this setting.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Schwarzwald posted:

If you've read through, for example, Meti's Sword Manual and thought to yourself, "aha! I get it now," you've only fooled yourself.

Unless "it" is that you should forget the whole thing and take up farming. I think it's fair to announce you understand that, because

Demiurge4 posted:

Royalty is kinda awful and oppressive in this setting.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Cathair posted:

I feel like there must be a fair number of people in the KSBD universe who tried to imitate this while missing the first part and just loving died, because even here, just being an idiot doesn't make you magic. :kiddo:

Because, as you say, the state that allows people to do insane poo poo in KSBD isn't actually idiocy, it's something else that's indistinguishable from idiocy when looked at from an overly narrow perspective.

Royalty is the state of believing in yourself earnestly and deeply enough that the rest of the universe believes along with you, regardless of the actual nature of things

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

New page! http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-6-120/

This is possibly the most anime page yet.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

RIP

Her key is extinguished, and her eyes seem a bit dessicated

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

E: forums doubled my post.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

berenzen posted:

RIP

She is crying... probably because she knows she got owned, she got owned, but at least she won't turn into a corncob

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you go back through the last few pages, you can actually see her looking more corpse-like every page.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

berenzen posted:

RIP

I'm not seeing dessication. What I do see is Mottom crying. Allison drove a loving demiurge to tears.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I don't think Mottom is toast. I think Mottom missed a chance to get off this wild ride and realizes she might not be able to survive universal upheaval twice.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Love the details. Mottom's glowing hand summons are a slightly tired grey against Allison's lightning white. Her power isn't even emanating directly from her key in comparison to Allison's

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

is that a butt moon

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

is that a butt moon

welp

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If Motts disintegrates of old age, I wonder what happens to her keys.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
I wonder if the pursuers are gonna stop and fight over Mottom's key before continuing to chase Allison again. I don't think they realize that Allison's is the master key, so Mottom's would be just as valuable in their eyes (if not more so, since they know its provenance). They all talk a good game but I'm curious to see if one of them actually has the balls to claim that poo poo and try to take their place among the seven.

E: I like the way you think, Mike.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

the future is WOW posted:

I wonder if the pursuers are gonna stop and fight over Mottom's key before continuing to chase Allison again. I don't think they realize that Allison's is the master key, so Mottom's would be just as valuable in their eyes (if not more so, since they know its provenance).

Hell, as far as they know, Allison has a single key. Mottom has the 111111-key fun pack shoved into her head.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

5,999,999,998 left

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

The pursuers don't care about the key. They are after Alison for the bounty that got offered way back when.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Hell, as far as they know, Allison has a single key. Mottom has the 111111-key fun pack shoved into her head.

The 108 know that Allison's key is a Key of Kings, thanks to that mouthy blue devil telling them all.

I think Maya might be in the mood to murder a god and topple her throne right now.

Sheogorath
Mar 29, 2007

I don't think Mottom is dead/dying or even terribly disspointed in this outcome. The way her 'attack' is drawn, in that it is a swarm of grasping hands, looks more like a type of assault meant to trap Allison rather than destroy her. I think she was hoping that if she could keep Allison under her control she could arrange a way to transfer power/the cage over and thus be free. Since Allison was strong enough and had enough Royalty to escape her majicks, I think Mottom is realizing that there is another way out for her and a new player strong enough to stop Jaggonoth that will lessen her own strain.

So I think that by the end panel, its more like tears of joy or at least relief rather than tears of 'im dead'

The key going dull is probably just to show a dramatic drop in effort and will that accompanies accepting someone else has far far more will than you.

If the 108 Pursuers are coming in to take her key thats a whole nother thing then.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sheogorath posted:

So I think that by the end panel, its more like tears of joy or at least relief rather than tears of 'im dead'
They look pretty obviously to be tears of despondence from having lost her chance at freedom to me. She might not be dead but she considers the situation she's in to be just as bad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm confused how anyone could read through any of the recent pages, or see Mottom's face, and think "tears of joy".

Like, legitimately confused? Please explain.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm confused how anyone could read through any of the recent pages, or see Mottom's face, and think "tears of joy".

Mottom is a depressed prima donna that wanted out of her life.
She got her wish via death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Poison Mushroom posted:

Just look at that big old grin. She's having the time of her life!