Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Tsukiyuki Dongwangi reminds me of how much I hate teleportation puzzles in RPGs.

Also why oh why is it always the youngest character in a JRPG party that has the most perverted poo poo happen to them. Couldn't they at least have it happen to Nozomi, who is of age?

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If you're talking about the urns that was hardly anything to complain about.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

...I was expecting that to be Ba'al in there, not Krishna.

Weird choice for an antagonist god.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If you're talking about the urns that was hardly anything to complain about.
I too love magic orgasm jars that make 14-year-olds jizz and cum.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I too love magic orgasm jars that make 14-year-olds jizz and cum.

no one wants to hear about you using your fleshlight dude

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Honestly kinda loving when Dagda pops out of your smartphone and starts making monologues about how all your friends are dumb losers dragging you down and then everyone just sort of ignores him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Honestly kinda loving when Dagda pops out of your smartphone and starts making monologues about how all your friends are dumb losers dragging you down and then everyone just sort of ignores him.

It's hard to take a dude seriously when his mom is there to make fun of him.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The game must get really awkward if you agree with Dagda and call your friends retards and refuse to help them at every juncture. Does the game just not let you choose half those options or something because they'd have no reason to follow you.

WhalerWren
Oct 9, 2012
Asahi is the only one who doesn't have a secondary motive for being in the party outside of friendship.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

WhalerWren posted:

Asahi is the only one who doesn't have a secondary motive for being in the party outside of friendship.

That's true but a couple events towards the end but before the split make alot less sense if you're an rear end in a top hat, unless theyre changed.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Sooo, is it me or do you literally pull a green Buddha dildo out of the Cosmic Eggs rear end in a top hat?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

where is tougu gosho?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

where is tougu gosho?

Like 20 feet south of camp ichigaya.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009

Toadsniff posted:

Sooo, is it me or do you literally pull a green Buddha dildo out of the Cosmic Eggs rear end in a top hat?

There's a whole rainbow of the drat things and the whole place is paradoxical obnoxious yonic body horror. You die in the womb, you die for real.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Man, the sudden reveal of demon(?) Flynn's face scared the poo poo out of me, because I am a huge baby.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really want to send a copy of this game to the1990s.

Why yes this is a Nintendo game where you ally with Satan in order to throw down the Judeo-Christian godhead specifically by rejecting his benevolence and divinity.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Navarre was an excellent partner until he learned debilitate, now he keeps sending bosses to -3 which results in them using silent prayer or dekaja.
Free doping is not worth putting up with this.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I dunno about this one. I liked SMTIV a bunch, enough to do absolutely everything there was to do, DLC included. And yet... having done all that, it's real hard mustering up the enthusiasm to go back to it, even as part of a different game. (Especially since I lost my copy of SMTIV where I had painstakingly acquired everything, so no transfer bonuses for me!)

OTOH, weighed against that is the chance to basically replay SMTIV without needing to keep a spreadsheet of all the decisions you make in-game in order to say within a narrow range of (invisible, unconfirmable) points to get the best ending; and fight/recruit the Fiends without absurd 1/255 odds; and not watch the NPCs turn into blithering mouthpieces for Law/Chaos halfway through the game, abandoning all semblance of rationality or moderation; and not spend hours and hours trying to fuse Famed/Zealots; and not have to put up with a super grindy, tedious path to the neutral ending; etc. etc.

Guess my question is, how quality are these quality of life improvements?

edit: and I would remiss if I didn't add the boost it gets from starting the game with Navarre already dead

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, I wouldn't mind the final dungeon half as much if it weren't for regular encounter Metatron and especially his regular horde encounter with reinforcements friends.

27% escape chance...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rangpur posted:

I dunno about this one. I liked SMTIV a bunch, enough to do absolutely everything there was to do, DLC included. And yet... having done all that, it's real hard mustering up the enthusiasm to go back to it, even as part of a different game. (Especially since I lost my copy of SMTIV where I had painstakingly acquired everything, so no transfer bonuses for me!)

OTOH, weighed against that is the chance to basically replay SMTIV without needing to keep a spreadsheet of all the decisions you make in-game in order to say within a narrow range of (invisible, unconfirmable) points to get the best ending; and fight/recruit the Fiends without absurd 1/255 odds; and not watch the NPCs turn into blithering mouthpieces for Law/Chaos halfway through the game, abandoning all semblance of rationality or moderation; and not spend hours and hours trying to fuse Famed/Zealots; and not have to put up with a super grindy, tedious path to the neutral ending; etc. etc.

edit: and I would remiss if I didn't add the boost it gets from starting the game with Navarre already dead

The quality of life improvements really add up, it's fantastic. Except for the better map there's no one improvement I can point to but the sum of those parts makes a huge difference.

Partners are actually useful. Money is easier to come by. Smirking feels more well-rounded. Optional quests are given automatically instead having to check every city for new quests. Affinities add another layer to fusion that's meaningful. Fiends aren't gated behind RNG. The difficulty curve is more balanced instead of being a cakewalk after the first few bosses. The list goes on and on. It's a fantastic sequel! They addressed most of the complaints people had about the original and while it will never happen I'd love to see a version of the original with those changes.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rangpur posted:

I think the fatigue of having done everything in SMT4 could kill your enthusiasm for SMT4A (though for me the only location I was like "Urgh I don't want to do this again" was in Naraku).

Here are some pros you may like: Navigation is easier. Everywhere. The Tokyo map is less cluttered and locations are labeled on the bottom screen's map (though you can turn those off if you want the authentic SMT4 experience), there are far fewer "you have to take this unmarked tunnel to get to this district" things, and it's just overall a huge difference. In dungeons/towns/whatever you can climb ledges/ladders/air ducts/etc without having to use the d-pad to press "up" to make the MC look upwards first. There is an actual working estoma, so when you backtrack to old areas you don't have to worry about fighting a bunch of low level scrubs.

There are fewer side quests, and they're sent directly to your phone rather than requiring you to go to the hunter's association and look at the quest board.

There's nothing like SMT4's neutral ending hoops, both in terms of getting it and doing eight hundred million sidequests. While there is an alignment system in game, you can, just, like, choose against it and suffer a penalty rather than being forced down a path like in 4.

The gameplay is more balanced - smirking isn't as ridiculous as it was in 4, your demons seem to have drastically more MP than in 4 so they can actually do stuff, and the skill affinities kind of force you to diversify your skill sets. In general, everything is less of a glass cannon.

The compendium seems way cheaper, even without the discount apps.

Stuff you may be ambivalent about :
A lot of stuff is level-gated: Apps and challenge quests open up as you gain levels, so, like, you won't be able to get 8 skill slots until level 75. You'll be making a lot of hard choices when it comes to skill inheritance.

The compendium has a completion percentage, and given your completionist tendencies that might irritate you. Zealots and Famed are still random chances, but there are a few things ingame that seem to be designed to help make that easier.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

In fairness, SMTIV was a day one purchase for me, so it's not as though I did all that recently. I'll probably pick up Apocalypse at some point, though I can't imagine bothering to complete the compendium again. Hell the main reason I bothered with Fiends and Zealots in the original game was that they looked cool. Yes, and also because they tore the game a new one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Man, I wouldn't mind the final dungeon half as much if it weren't for regular encounter Metatron and especially his regular horde encounter with reinforcements friends.

27% escape chance...

I didn't mind that so much because once you hit 99 (which you will) Estoma takes everything but the hordes out of play.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I had 100% escape chance even on those guys for some reason

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I had 100% escape chance even on those guys for some reason

What difficulty level are you playing on? Run chance varies a lot based on that.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Opinions on the cosmic egg so far, it's bad. Even worse is knowing that all these awful map gimmicks are going to come into full force in the ultra real genuine final dungeon that will inevitably come after this.

What's up with the weird 10 turn limit on the fiend fights, combined with the damage remaining between fights it's absurdly easy to kill the fiends, albeit tedious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The cosmic egg is infinitely better than the final dungeon.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the cosmic egg was cool. I wanted to like the final dungeon because I love Eridanus/Wizardry bullshit mazes but it uh sucked

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The final dungeon is so big and empty that it takes forever to get anywhere, and rip if you end up in a dead end because your Magic wasn't high enough to pass through the one gate forward.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Uh, come again? If there are stat requirements for beating the game I kinda feel like it should be in the OP even if the context remains a mystery.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rangpur posted:

Uh, come again? If there are stat requirements for beating the game I kinda feel like it should be in the OP even if the context remains a mystery.

There are not. There are stat gates which can get items or shortcuts but they're not at all necessary to finish the game

They just mean it is tedious because you have to backtrack.

The trick to the final dungeon is there are checkpoints and just follow the checkpoints. If you go a while without seeing them you're going the wrong way. It's STILL tedious as hell.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It looks like they're optional areas for shortcuts or loot, because I got through the dungeon without them. I can't say for sure because that maze isn't easy to get your head around.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Fair enough, it did strike me as unusual for the serues... but when you mentioned Wizardry, all bets were off. :v:

Are they the sort of stat requirements you could squeeze into a build meant for other things, or is this more "here's your reward for pumping magic all game, nerd."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rangpur posted:

Fair enough, it did strike me as unusual for the serues... but when you mentioned Wizardry, all bets were off. :v:

Are they the sort of stat requirements you could squeeze into a build meant for other things, or is this more "here's your reward for pumping magic all game, nerd."

The latter. It's like the bonus items in the first SMT except more worthless.

You could probably build around it but unless the Dex teleports have a secret supergod or something it's not worth it compared to hitting for 4000 damage/round.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

really love a teleport maze, where you also can't revive anymore

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Someone's going to have to explain to me how to beat the boss of Tsukiji Konganji (when you're actually in the castle and not the tunnels). I don't see how it's possible to win without Hallelujah using Warding Shout every turn, so of course the retard uses Enduring Cheer half the time, causing the boss to inflict every single ailment in the game on everyone in my party in short order. What am I missing here?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Someone's going to have to explain to me how to beat the boss of Tsukiji Konganji (when you're actually in the castle and not the tunnels). I don't see how it's possible to win without Hallelujah using Warding Shout every turn, so of course the retard uses Enduring Cheer half the time, causing the boss to inflict every single ailment in the game on everyone in my party in short order. What am I missing here?

Alice - I think she's immune to a lot of the statuses he casts? Her parts are all easy to gather and she's strong in general
Null Mind - makes demons immune to most status effects, if you have someone with it resummon them and fuse them into something useful
Dekunda - The boss is debuffing you when he casts his statuses too, so either have this, an item that casts it, or have another way to deal with debuffs
Healing Knowhow - Lets demons cast a lot of the items that cure debuffs instead of having a specific skill for each one
Switching your guys out - When all else fails, this is how I beat it. Switching them out resets debuffs, and if someone was charmed or bound and I couldn't heal it I just took them out with the MC for someone else. I think I rotated between a good 9 demons total in this fight, it was fun

I used Navarre, no Alice, no Null Mind, no Dekunda (Navarre casts it) and no Healing Knowhow because I'm stubborn

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I went in with Hallelujah as my partner and 9/10ths of the assist bar filled, then killed him with lots of acid breath+sukukaja which makes him miss a lot on his actual attacks. If I recall correctly, his only weakness is mudo so you can use that to get extra press turns.
Definitely one of the harder bosses in the game though, took me a few tries until I the RNG cooperated enough to not give any -attack stacks for the first few turns.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Hallelujah's been my favorite support for boss fights but I've had some great luck with Gaston while out grinding.

I loved the visuals of the final dungeon. It felt effectively disorienting. Due to work and other things I was sort of forced to break it up and it really didn't feel so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Navarre is pretty much MVP for boss fight Partners.

• Locked thread