Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Qmass posted:

Celebratory scandi-flick

That flick is so GOOD.

*edit*
New page, too late
:widowsnypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

El Hefe posted:

The Lancia 037 Evo 2 is the devil's car holy poo poo how are you supposed to keep that car going straight?

Well, it is a Lancia.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Figured out the best way to deal with that stay left rock on Greece...

https://giant.gfycat.com/MemorableSecretGypsymoth.webm

I had never done that twist on the run up flat-out before and was so stoked I spaced out on the jump. Filled with dread as soon as I realised I had hung to the right but it was too late to fix, laughed so hard I only just slowed down in time to avoid crashing the next corner.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Butt clenching jump over that rock was perfect.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

That's a nice jump

El Hefe posted:

The Lancia 037 Evo 2 is the devil's car holy poo poo how are you supposed to keep that car going straight?

Like most mid-engined cars, only let go of the throttle if you want/need to spin

Qmass posted:

Wonder what they finished :O

Saw a few other DiRT people sending around WRC 2017 Test-drive videos, if I had to guess it'd be more of those. Hopefully they work in at least a few more old cars, too

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

El Hefe posted:

I did a run on my favorite stage w/ the overlay on, maybe this will help? https://www.twitch.tv/sneakyness_912/v/91291570 Ended up being a top 20 global run :stare:

Next time I'll use the green BG so the overlay chroma keys better, kind of hosed up the stream a bit.

I like to try and do a stage somewhere with rain first when I'm trying to get used to the RWD Group B cars, that way I'm extra afraid of being stupid with the gas. If I'm really having trouble I'll go for a longer final gear ratio by 1 or 2 pips, but this kind of gimps you in some recovery situations

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 25, 2016

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFjCpHXyIqo

Maybe top 500 to 30th in the world! FUCKEN STOKED! and You can do it too. Honestly not even running the one stage over and over. Just practicing wales in bad conditions so dry seems easier and then a bit of Greece so you feel like wales is tarmac. Steam says I played 8.6hrs in the past two weeks, no poop socks required. Hadn't played in a couple days, did a few Greek stages then did that on first attempt. Hence the shaky start.

Aug 2nd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8_aiBMHzI

Aug 12th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdqs2gLSbE

Sep 8th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxZ6Tf3mfVU

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Qmass fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 25, 2016

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

El Hefe posted:

I love that car almost as much as the Delta S4.

It is the closest I can get to my irl car right down to the rainbow of exposed fuses all over the interior. :allears:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Most of my problems handling that car also stem from the fact I use a dualshock since I don't have a wheel, oh well.

Btw why is there a water warning in one of the stages in Greece?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Got the global best time on one of the stages of this monthly challenge. Surprising since i'm 1. Not very good. 2. I generally dont do too well in Germany and 3. I made a few mistakes. I guess everyone must drive really carefully for the monthly or something.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

DiRT Rally is 50% off on Steam

http://steamcommunity.com/app/310560

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
So is there a goon racing league? Just picked this up and had my first race since the last time I picked up Dirt 3, chose a self imposed hard mode in Sweden at night in a 60's Lancia by immediately loving up my headlights.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
There is, but it hasn't been updated with new races in a while.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

About two weeks back someone showed me some rally footage and I've been devouring WRC stuff since, so grabbed this in the sale.

Dark Souls of racing sims is right, at least I'm having fun as I throw myself into yet another spin.

In terms of the various assists, is there anything specific I should immediately turn off to avoid developing bad habits?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Traction control and stability control. They both fundamentally change the way the car behaves in a way that seriously inhibits your ability to play.

ABS is user preference. I keep it on a 1 or 2.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

It's nice to see some new names in the thread! Leagues are kind of poo poo anyways TBQH, the daily/weekly/monthly challenges are great. Especially the Daily's, you can go see your ~CREST TELEMETRY~ or whatever the hell on their website, which is pretty neat.

Just threw down a 7:38.414 up Pikes Peak in the Modern class, good for 98th globally

then I pulled a 2:18.544 on my favorite Monte Carlo course, good for 8th globally \o/

I was drunk the entire time, don't let anyone tell you drinking and driving is bad heh

Maybe it's October speaking, but I kind of wish this game had ghosts. Never thought about it until now but a racing game w/o ghosts is kind of hosed

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Nice.

To go fast, when you turn in do you turn more aggressively than you need then catch the oversteer or is it just really fine inputs with weight shifts ? I have a feeling I have done so much rally with aggressive steering that I turn the wheel too much and need to really change my approach.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I saw a video of IGN think it was setting up their guys to play this game with a VR headset and all of them with the exception of one guy ended up sweaty as hell and almost throwing up lol

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

^^^ They had horizon lock turned off which is a really cruel thing to do to someone who has never experienced rally racing before. If you don't know where to look you're going to make yourself sick as hell. Also they picked some of the most violent courses lmao

Qmass posted:

To go fast, when you turn in do you turn more aggressively than you need then catch the oversteer or is it just really fine inputs with weight shifts ? I have a feeling I have done so much rally with aggressive steering that I turn the wheel too much and need to really change my approach.

IMHO that is a "bad" habit you picked up from driving all of the modern stuff, where the cars respond to that really well because they're kind of underpowered and chunky, but the brakes and suspension are great (I loving hate it)

Did you have a specific track type/car in mind?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Double posting 'coz I snagged 8th up Rainy Gravel Pikes Peak in the Daily Challenge today! Always honored to end up on the same page as RallyCameraman (a literal rally cameraman who also drives IRL)

When I actually do really well like this, I like to head over to their website to tick the "My Nationality" and then "Controller" buttons to see myself as both the fastest American & fastest controller racer :911:

I also got like 56th or something in the Finland event, meh

I see that twitch now has a beta uploading feature, probably going to experiment more with full quality local recordings and uploading after the fact.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Just got this on Steam sale over the weekend, this game is blowing my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWRQo8urFls

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

5 right over crest... I loving TOLD YOU !!! (I am your angry co-driver)

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Qmass posted:

5 right over crest... I loving TOLD YOU !!! (I am your angry co-driver)

When you roll and smash into a wall and then start moving and your co-driver is immediately all back-to-business "3 left bad camber then immediate hairpin right" there's something hilariously passive-agressive about it.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
https://youtu.be/fnPVZnR6ZPg

This happened this weekend in real life, good run right up til the flying finish.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Is that you?! I'd be so pissed lmao what a way to lose your rear end (did rears lock up first under braking there or what?)

:negative: So jealous of the lady co-driver, it's so much easier to hear her voice!!

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Is that you?! I'd be so pissed lmao what a way to lose your rear end (did rears lock up first under braking there or what?)

:negative: So jealous of the lady co-driver, it's so much easier to hear her voice!!

Not me, but I was on the stage at one of the hairpins. Looks like maybe he wasn't trying to lock up his brakes and didn't slow down enough.

Her notes were great, and her reading is really clear. Such a good run until the end.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

no broccoli please posted:

https://youtu.be/fnPVZnR6ZPg

This happened this weekend in real life, good run right up til the flying finish.
I've been glad more than a few times in Dirt Rally that it doesn't hurt you if you're going crash after the finish line. :)

Good to see they were both alright.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

New Zealand can eat me posted:

That looked fun as gently caress right up to that ending :( PIssed off is right.

Great notes though, wish Paul listed camber like that in game. Workshop pace notes/multiplayer would be so killer in future titles.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I don't even like R4 (from soon-to-be-yesterday's Daily Wager Event)

I'm confident my success in DiRT Rally is a good indicator that I should pursue race car driving more seriously :smug: (kidding but only a little bit hey Codies sponsor me tia)

Seriously though, if you just play the Daily Challenges every single day, often less than 20 minutes of driving, you will get extremely good. I'm on a streak of ~3 weeks right now and am really happy with my growth as a driver

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 5, 2016

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

http://i.imgur.com/4Fram5U.mp4

(credit to whoever posted it in the awesome AI thread)

Qmass fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 5, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I love Finland because of the jumps and because it's so fast but I'm so bad at it, I always gently caress up at least once and smash head on into a tree at 200kph.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

The tire tracks on the hills are generally a decent indicator of which direction you want to throw yourself, took me a while to pick those up

Thank you, daily challenge, for reminding me how poo poo the F2 Kit Cars are, also Sweden. I'm probably just looking for something to blame but I feel like if they could have really nailed down the soft banks/terrain the game would have benefited from it a lot.

On the upside I did get a new PB on Modern Pikes Peak, wound up being 0.200s faster, now 95th global

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

So I have a secret to admit... I skipped straight past RWD when I started this game and never touched them until now, after about 300hrs.

Decided gently caress it, Ill start messing around with the alpine and just take it easy and not worry about how bad I am. Well I started a 2 event custom career and it put me into god drat monte carlo first. I can't even do that place properly in the car I can top 50 on wales so it was pretty brutal. Then it put me into sweeden, which I never play. I must have spun 50 times doing 6 stages between those.

Was getting pretty frustrated at this point so I went back to my precious 2010 fiesta and did a quick wales stage, after crashing once because I was turning the wheel too much (this is what I was doing wrong in the alpine of course), I did a PB on the stage. Everything felt really accurate suddenly. It felt like I could get really exact steering inputs with really tiny but useful corrections and really fine throttle control. So now I am thinking that maybe going back to these cars I had missed would help me improve overall. This is probably obvious to many of you but I just bashed my head into the "fun" cars. (at least what I think is fun)

So I went back and started a 6 event custom career and it puts me into greece where I start to feel like something is beginning to click with this thing. Starting to get a rhythm going and I am seeing some green sectors (on open of course). Its funny how as soon as you have the thought "hey this is cool, im driving here" you gently caress up a corner or two and then lose the confidence that puts you through the corners and you start being terrible again.

Now I am onto Finland and suddenly I am enjoying this car. Like everyone says, the Alpine is really cool. For a 60s car its fucken quick... lots of power and you need even less steering input than the tiny steering angle modern cars.

Just got through a stage with one spin because I was going too hard, respectable result for just an hour with the car.

It's great how granular all the "tools" for driving feel with this car. Weight shift/balance is really obvious, you have so much control with gas and brake. Lift off oversteer is massively powerful. It feels like the throttle works over a much larger range. In the modern cars sometimes it feels like either you are off gas or on gas because it does nothing for the first 50% of the pedals travel but whether its because the feedback and effect is more obvious or because it actually does work better than in the modern cars, it feels like I am using a lot more of the throttles range and I hope that translates into better throttle control when I eventually go back to the modern cars.

anyway tl;dr the alpine is pretty cool

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Enjoy the best car in the game: the Lancia Stratos :D.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
Once you feel comfortable with the Stratos, experience the whole thing over again with the 037.

The funny thing is, for me the RWD cars are the fun ones. It's interesting how different personal preferences on this are. For me I think part of the reason I like RWD is that I've been driving RWD cars for close to 15 years now through New England winters, so it just feels "right". I'm curious what other people's experiences are, do you prefer the same drive train as your real cars or do other things influence your feelings?

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
I feel like I should be better with 4WD, but I do the best with RWD?? Maybe its an AI thing?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Not only is the 037 the most fun to drive but it is also arguably the best looking car in the game and the exposed fuses on the dashboard are much appreciated.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

It's obviously subjective. Because CLEARLY the 2010 fiesta is the most fun to drive.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Nope, 037 is objectively the best car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Picked this up last week and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I'm using a DFGT, and I'm having a little trouble with the handbrake. I've got it mapped to the right paddle, and the gearshift is mapped to change gears. Left paddle is the clutch. I find that on sharp right handers, I just can't reliably reach the handbrake when I need it. Is it more common to map the handbrake to the shifter and the paddles to change gear?

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 18, 2016

• Locked thread