Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Interestingly, in Japan returning things seems to be a moral judgment issue. They will inspect and inspect whatever you try to return for defects and faults while judging you with their eyes. Once I tried to return a DS that had a bad pixel and the shop owner was like "it's not like it interferes with the gameplay, jeez" and refused. Just a few weeks ago I tried to return a headphone amp that was making white noise and they refused because with the lovely headphones they were using and the noisy environment of the store, neither of us could say for sure that we were hearing any noise through it.

Online I see people speaking with horror about how in America you could possibly find something sold as new that had been opened by a customer and saying thanks that Japanese laws don't permit that. We're all a bunch of shameless savages in the West for allowing returns for any reason, it seems.

edit: amazon.jp takes returns same as in the US though so I guess there's that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When I was in Japan I tried to see if I could get a refund on a bus ticket I wasn't going to be able use because my flight had been delayed and the guy seemed confused at the very concept.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Samurai Sanders posted:

Interestingly, in Japan returning things seems to be a moral judgment issue. They will inspect and inspect whatever you try to return for defects and faults while judging you with their eyes. Once I tried to return a DS that had a bad pixel and the shop owner was like "it's not like it interferes with the gameplay, jeez" and refused. Just a few weeks ago I tried to return a headphone amp that was making white noise and they refused because with the lovely headphones they were using and the noisy environment of the store, neither of us could say for sure that we were hearing any noise through it.

Online I see people speaking with horror about how in America you could possibly find something sold as new that had been opened by a customer and saying thanks that Japanese laws don't permit that. We're all a bunch of shameless savages in the West for allowing returns for any reason, it seems.

Every time I doubt my patriotism I hear stories like this and remember I live in the land that gave rise to LL Bean :911:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Samurai Sanders posted:

USA has many bad points but customer service here is amazing and also not normal. I visited Israel (I am not american or israeli, but I live in the USA now) and a friend had a fly in her cappuccino. She complained, and the owner took her cappuccino into the back, and returned it to her after 20 seconds. she said "did you give me the same coffee back, after taking the fly out?" and he said "yes. It's not my fault the fly got in there". I said to an israeli pharmacist, on buying an anti-seasickness pill "wow, this is great, it'd be so much more expensive in south africa! :) " and the response was "THIS ISN'T SOUTH AFRICA IS IT?"

In the UK, an American colleague had a complaint about her food, and I'd mentioned I was annoyed I'd been given a butter knife instead of a steak knife, for my meat. She complained about her food and my lack of steak knife, meanwhile I was loving mortified. Now that I'm in the USA everyone complains about everything and gets rewarded for complaining. I think it's justified sometimes, but sometimes it's not.

edit: the waiter guy in the uk was italian or something, and when my colleague complained, he (waiter) told her (colleague) to gently caress off, basically. She asked for the manager, he said "I am the manager" and nothing got resolved, because lol you shouldn't complain!

I bet in Japan the shops are not able to return defective products to the manufacturer because there's a culture of not returning stuff, so when you try to return it they are shafted for the full amount, if they do allow it. And they are culturally unable to deal with your "NO gently caress YOU I AM RETURNING IT! " attitude since you're used to being an American who is able to return stuff.

edit 2: I flew from SF to NY and I was in the back row. The woman next to me complained to the flight attendant (!!!) because her seat couldn't recline. Like, yeah you piece of poo poo, you got the bad seat in the back row? it can't recline. What do you expect? Do you think virgin atlantic made a row of seats specifically for people to complain about? Like, you reserve your seat last, you get the poo poo seat. Is virgin supposed to refund you because you got a bad seat? I don't understand.

redreader fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 3, 2016

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

redreader posted:

USA has many bad points but customer service here is amazing and also not normal. I visited Israel (I am not american or israeli, but I live in the USA now) and a friend had a fly in her cappuccino. She complained, and the owner took her cappuccino into the back, and returned it to her after 20 seconds. she said "did you give me the same coffee back, after taking the fly out?" and he said "yes. It's not my fault the fly got in there".

Assuming it came that way not just landed later, that is awful customer service. I would say I got robbed on the way there and it wasn't my fault they took my wallet. What a stupid loving copout.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is my ds4's battery hosed or does it normal to go from completely dead to a full charge in like 1-2 hours?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Is my ds4's battery hosed or does it normal to go from completely dead to a full charge in like 1-2 hours?

That's normal, it charges very quickly because it's small capacity to begin with.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yea I mean the battery lasts like five hours

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Where's the wishlist feature on psn?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kurtofan posted:

Where's the wishlist feature on psn?

It only exists on the webstore. Yes, I know....

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYjgHLFZMa0

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I don't know how popular it is going to end up being, I think PSVR probably has the most potential to actually become mainstream just from how easy it is to get into. Both Vive and Oculus require you to have relatively expensive PCs with certain requirements but for PSVR you just need to own a PS4.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sakurazuka posted:

It only exists on the webstore. Yes, I know....

:negative:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you should always use the webstore because the one on the ps4 itself is utter garbage

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

While I don't know how popular it is going to end up being, I think PSVR probably has the most potential to actually become mainstream just from how easy it is to get into. Both Vive and Oculus require you to have relatively expensive PCs with certain requirements but for PSVR you just need to own a PS4.

PSVR is the most accessible VR experience you can buy right now.
I'm not fully convinced it will succeed yet, I've had a few "hey that's neat" experiences (on the Vive) but nothing that I would want to spend hours and hours in like a traditional game.

I'm not so sure Sony themselves are convinced either, having spent untold millions on R&D, I've seen very little marketing for something that is due out next week. Also, they barely mentioned it in that PS4 Pro event they held recently, so what gives? They should be shouting from the rooftops about it, they are the only console maker that is even attempting this right now.

I just fear it will go the way of motion controls, everyone will go crazy for it for a year and then try an pretend it never happened. But as has been pointed out, there are many more uses outside of games where VR can succeed.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Samurai Sanders posted:

yet they have no problem selling used panties, for shame japan

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlestonJew posted:

yet they have no problem selling used panties, for shame japan
Oh there's a huge market for used stuff of all kinds, since if you buy something and it ends up not being useful selling it to a recycle shop is the only option. That's what I am going to do with the headphone amp I mentioned earlier I guess.

Selling used panties was made illegal in the 90s though I think.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

redreader posted:

In the UK, an American colleague had a complaint about her food, and I'd mentioned I was annoyed I'd been given a butter knife instead of a steak knife, for my meat. She complained about her food and my lack of steak knife, meanwhile I was loving mortified. Now that I'm in the USA everyone complains about everything and gets rewarded for complaining. I think it's justified sometimes, but sometimes it's not.

edit: the waiter guy in the uk was italian or something, and when my colleague complained, he (waiter) told her (colleague) to gently caress off, basically. She asked for the manager, he said "I am the manager" and nothing got resolved, because lol you shouldn't complain!
This sounds like a fairly made up story because in the UK nobody would give you poo poo for complaining in a shop or a restaurant because they would probably lose their job. Especially if you were letting them know that you'd been given a butter knife for your steak.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If there's one thing we British know it's our knives

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

meanwhile i've always thought american return policy was weak as hell, for example how valve had to be forced by euro law to allow returns

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MZ posted:

I'm not so sure Sony themselves are convinced either, having spent untold millions on R&D, I've seen very little marketing for something that is due out next week. Also, they barely mentioned it in that PS4 Pro event they held recently, so what gives? They should be shouting from the rooftops about it, they are the only console maker that is even attempting this right now.
Yeah, this is bothering me a little. It's not quite as stealthy as the PlayStation TV launch but it still seems like they're being quiet. However they also know there is basically no preorder stock left anywhere so they may just be saving their money for when it's more effective. It probably shouldn't be alarming.

They also did spend a lot of effort putting out demonstrations in various stores though which is arguably way more important and convincing than TV ads.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

VR is sort of at an uncanny valley point.
The "uncanny valley" is not a provable scientific phenomenon. The very few studies on it are incomplete and they've received a wide range of criticism.

Can we stop mentioning it as if it's some real thing for now?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Crows Turn Off posted:

The "uncanny valley" is not a provable scientific phenomenon. The very few studies on it are incomplete and they've received a wide range of criticism.

Dude that ship sailed like ten years ago

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I didn't know that. A human face morphing and changing shape slightly is like #1 on my horror list, and I assumed that that was the same effect.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 3, 2016

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I tried my friends Vive and it seemed very low resolution. The pixels were super noticeable. Will the PSVR be an improvement?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Crows Turn Off posted:

If you've got a better succinct term for crap that is ugly because it is trying to be realistic and can't quite manage then by all means pass it along

marktheando posted:

I tried my friends Vive and it seemed very low resolution. The pixels were super noticeable. Will the PSVR be an improvement?
Absolutely not, it will likely even look more pixelated

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd assume the psvr would be the weakest of the big vr options out there since it's working off of the ps4, whereas the oculus and the vive can just assume you have a beefy pc

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'd assume the psvr would be the weakest of the big vr options out there since it's working off of the ps4, whereas the oculus and the vive can just assume you have a beefy pc

The rumor is that Sony is really on developers about frame rate for the PSVR. As in they won't pass Cert unless that poo poo is locked down stable. Which would be another thing that could really help it get more mainstream, if you knew everything was going to run on a certain level.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

marktheando posted:

I tried a friend's Vive and I was about half a second from trying to put the controllers down onto a table that didn't actually exist in the real world

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's actually looking like the PSVR is the strongest of the headsets by far with the PS4 being the better platform for VR even.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

I said come in! posted:

It's actually looking like the PSVR is the strongest of the headsets by far with the PS4 being the better platform for VR even.

The visuals won't be anywhere near on par with the Vive & a high-end PC.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MZ posted:

The visuals won't be anywhere near on par with the Vive & a high-end PC.

I don't think this will be true at all.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well I guess at least there's a small chance the games will be better on PSVR, everything I saw on the Vive just felt like a tech demo with the sole exception of Elite.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

I don't think this will be true at all.
How on earth could it not, with the Vive an a PC to run it being like 4x as expensive?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't believe for a second that psvr will look better than a decent pc with an oculus

marktheando posted:

Well I guess at least there's a small chance the games will be better on PSVR, everything I saw on the Vive just felt like a tech demo with the sole exception of Elite.

that's just vr in general, it'll be years before it's a real thing and not just a gimmick people are trying to figure out. if psvr is any better, it's only off the back of releasing later than the others and not using the same launch lineup

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Manatee Cannon posted:

No, it won't look as good as a PC, but it's also the cheapest, the "plug and play" option, and the one with the most money/effort put towards AAA content.

Also please post in the PSVR thread, it's lonely.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

My brother was super jazzed about the Vive. Built a new PC to take full advantage of it.

Had the Vive about a week before selling it. There's just not enough there to justify the cost yet. Budget Cuts was the best thing I played but that's barely a proof of concept.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The whole Japanese return thing explains Sony so well...

Also: I ordered my VR from Amazon and you can be drat sure that if I were so inclined, they'd accept my return.

That said, on week 1, I expect you could third party resell a VR at break-even at LEAST.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's just vr in general, it'll be years before it's a real thing and not just a gimmick people are trying to figure out. if psvr is any better, it's only off the back of releasing later than the others and not using the same launch lineup

It's the same with any new console or platform, doubly so with something esoteric like VR (compared to a typical console, that is). Even if you had people trained and ready to make full VR games right this second (which is probably roughly about where we are now really), you still gotta wait about a year or two for them to make something and debug it into a releasable state. Even just getting something to a previewable state would take 6+ months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Akuma posted:

My brother was super jazzed about the Vive. Built a new PC to take full advantage of it.

Had the Vive about a week before selling it. There's just not enough there to justify the cost yet. Budget Cuts was the best thing I played but that's barely a proof of concept.

This is the biggest problem with VR as a whole as a gaming platform, I haven't played anything that didn't feel like a glorified tech demo.

• Locked thread