Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Basically you're investing in immigrants not to get a return from them but from their children one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Even if immigrants were a complete economic burden, immigration is still good because it allows those people to escape warzones and destitution.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

Basically you're investing in immigrants not to get a return from them but from their children one day.

It's one of the most convoluted ways to stabilize the welfare systems. It's highly speculative and the return, if any, will only come 30 years later. A bad business plan, if you can call wishful thinking to the second degree a plan at all. The functionality of this argument is mainly to postpone the promised results to the next generation and therefore to lower the expectations for the present.

I'm not saying it can't work, but I don't see it working out that way. And it means in fact acknowledging that there will be one lost generation. Experience shows that the children of unemployed and/or unproductive parents (be the natives or immigrants) have a harder time emancipating from these ways. What can their parents teach them wrt life skills? Once again, I'm not saying there is no way to break this vicious circle, but rather I do not know the solution and I do not see anyone coming up with a solution.

YF-23 posted:

Even if immigrants were a complete economic burden, immigration is still good because it allows those people to escape warzones and destitution.

As I wrote earlier, the utilitarian argument has to be considered separately from the humanitarian. It simply happens the utilitarian argument isn't convincing. If seeking refuge from a warzone is a valid motive (which I agree with), this means that any European country that isn't a warzone is obligated to take in refugees, not only Sweden, Germany and Austria. And it means refugees aren't automatically entitled to get to a country of their wishing, but rather a (European)country that is at peace. I'm not seeing too many European volunteers to share the burden. Probably because they do not believe in the utilitarian argument either.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 3, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

YF-23 posted:

That's refugees.

If you plan on settling people permanently and granting them citizenship, you need an economic follow up, or risk destabilizing you own country.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Einbauschrank posted:

As I wrote earlier, the utilitarian argument has to be considered separately from the humanitarian. It simply happens the utilitarian argument isn't convincing. If seeking refuge from a warzone is a valid motive (which I agree with), this means that any European country that isn't a warzone is obligated to take in refugees, not only Sweden, Germany and Austria. And it means refugees aren't automatically entitled to get to a country of their wishing, but rather a (European)country that is at peace. I'm not seeing too many European volunteers to share the burden. Probably because they do not believe in the utilitarian argument either.

For sure, countries in the EU should all do their part in this, not just Greece, Sweden and Germany.

steinrokkan posted:

That's refugees.

If you plan on settling people permanently and granting them citizenship, you need an economic follow up, or risk destabilizing you own country.

I'm completely at odds with you on this, both on having to have an economic followup, and on the nebulous risk of "destabilisation" that would happen if you didn't have an economic followup. If you can expand on the argument you're trying to make here instead of simply making a statement that would be good, because I can only project from your statement some kind of argument about whether a state can afford the expense of supporting an immigrant population which ultimately leads me to a libertarian-esque argument that taxes are already at their maximum value after which society will unravel into anarchy.

And I include non-refugees in my statement because I still think there's a valid moral imperative to help out people that are escaping conditions of poverty or authoritarianism even if those don't fall under the officially accepted definition of a refugee.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You can do things one of two ways.

The first is the American model: keep all the immigrants without desirable skills politically disenfranchised, with no access to government services, and under a constant threat of deportation, so they can't speak up.

The second is: Grant them citizenship, and all the perks of the welfare state, with the implication that perhaps not the first, but the second generation, raised and educated with public assistance, will be productive citizens. In that case you obviously need government revenue capable of doing that, or your budget will implode, you will be forced to cut services and your political position will deteriorate going into the next elections. Raising taxes is not an option in most countries, both for political reasons (losing votes), and because already tax burden on average citizen in most European countries is over 50% of total wage expenses. The idea that you can just print / collect any arbitrary amount of additional money if you want without repercussions is just absurd.

So, what can you do? Antagonize the voting public by raising their taxes / reducing their benefits, only to have your pro-immigration policies reversed by the next government after a couple years? Run a growing deficit, thus potentially sentencing your own people to years of austerity down the line? Hope that you will just weather the years of public finances sponsored demographic transformation of the immigrant groups, after which they will become an economic asset? Try to convince the entire nation that they have a collective moral duty towards somebody other than themselves? Supporting unqualified immigration due to one politician's moral convictions looks like a losing political proposition, likely to usher in a period of reactionary victories.

Political asylum seekers are covered under international law as their own case, similar to refugees.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 3, 2016

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

The second is: Grant them citizenship, and all the perks of the welfare state, with the implication that perhaps not the first, but the second generation, raised and educated with public assistance, will be productive citizens. In that case you obviously need government revenue capable of doing that, or your budget will implode, you will be forced to cut services and your political position will deteriorate going into the next elections.

The question is, whether any government, however willing and financially manoeuvrable, is able to "raise and educate" people to become productive citizens. There have been enough wet dreams of social engineers in the last century, and most didn't work out too well, neither for society as a whole nor for "those you bettered".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Or, the preferred solution would be to have an effective social work sector capable of integrating newcomers into society and the labour market ASAP through active methods. Still, that is just a technocratic apparatus with no moral purpose per se, and apparently not all that many people are convinced about this actually being practically possible, even in this thread. Is there any empirical data on this?

Overall, accepting more immigrants is probably much more economically beneficial in the long term than trying to rely on domestic resources to combat a demographic decline, but it's also risky politically in the short term, and governments think in four year periods.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 3, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Yes? It negates the argument that immigrants are too expensive, because the alternative, raising more children, is also expensive, and also requires people to abstain from work to take care of them.

I think we are agreeing here. :shobon:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

The first is the American model: keep all the immigrants without desirable skills politically disenfranchised, with no access to government services, and under a constant threat of deportation, so they can't speak up.

The second is: Grant them citizenship, and all the perks of the welfare state, with the implication that perhaps not the first, but the second generation, raised and educated with public assistance, will be productive citizens. In that case you obviously need government revenue capable of doing that, or your budget will implode, you will be forced to cut services and your political position will deteriorate going into the next elections. Raising taxes is not an option in most countries, both for political reasons (losing votes), and because already tax burden on average citizen in most European countries is over 50% of total wage expenses. The idea that you can just print / collect any arbitrary amount of additional money if you want without repercussions is just absurd.

So, what can you do? Antagonize the voting public by raising their taxes / reducing their benefits, only to have your pro-immigration policies reversed by the next government after a couple years? Run a growing deficit, thus potentially sentencing your own people to years of austerity down the line? Hope that you will just weather the years of public finances sponsored demographic transformation of the immigrant groups, after which they will become an economic asset? Try to convince the entire nation that they have a collective moral duty towards somebody other than themselves? Supporting unqualified immigration due to one politician's moral convictions looks like a losing political proposition, likely to usher in a period of reactionary victories.

Political asylum seekers are covered under international law as their own case, similar to refugees.

See, this ultimately boils down to what I understood, that is to say, an argument against ever raising taxes. If your country is so volatile that you can no longer raise taxes without risking the far-right coming to power, your political personnel is already irredeemable. Greece has gone to poo poo and back for 5 years in a row and for all the bad horrible poo poo that's happened the country has not actually descended to chaos with nazis in power. Are you telling me the central European countries are more politically fragile than Greece?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You don't have to go to Nazis. No slightly right wing party supports broad immigration, and very few leftist parties do. If the balance is that currently 51 MPs support a pro-immigration platform, and 49 MPs support making immigration laws less "generous", then a slight change in public opinion can lead to a dismantling of everything you built, even if the opposition party is just boring old market liberals.

I guess country destabilization is more dramatic than I meant to say. More like you need a solid economically sound plan if you don't want to give the keys to the country to your political opposition.

Note my post you quoted was made under the implicit assumption that hypothetical immigrants would be economically a burden for any foreseeable future, so the worst possible scenario, which is not really comparable to reality, and is only remotely applicable at times of extreme crisis, like with Syria / Eritrea now.

By the way, what taxes would you safely raise to supplement existing revenue?

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 3, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What do you do when you have refugees fleeing a war zone or repression from a brutal regime (Ethiopia says hello) who arrive in your country but not because they want to find shelter here, merely because it's geographically between where they were and where they actually want to go?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Perhaps the welfare state is the problem if mild immigration is supposed to cause an implosion.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nitrousoxide posted:

Perhaps the welfare state is the problem if mild immigration is supposed to cause an implosion.

It's not been in a great shape for ages.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nitrousoxide posted:

Policy ever since the fall of the wall has been to dismantle and eradicate all the last remnants of welfare state in Europe, yes.

It's all a question of choice, though. European nation states do not lack funds for welfare, they merely lack the will to spend it on welfare for people. Instead they prefer to spend it on welfare for corporation, by setting up a large and complex variety of legal loopholes and tax dodging schemes.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

What do you do when you have refugees fleeing a war zone or repression from a brutal regime (Ethiopia says hello) who arrive in your country but not because they want to find shelter here, merely because it's geographically between where they were and where they actually want to go?

Depends. If you signed a treaty like Dublin, you have to register them and are supposed to be responsible for them. Dublin might be poo poo, but afaik was agreed upon by all the members of Schengen.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

By the way, what taxes would you safely raise to supplement existing revenue?

That depends on the tax regime of each individual country, Germany would probably be raising different taxes than Ireland, or a non-Eurozone country like Sweden. But generally speaking, either you can raise taxes without destroying your political position, or you can't, and the latter scenario is extremely damning and indicative of very deep issues in your political system.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

YF-23 posted:

But generally speaking, either you can raise taxes without destroying your political position, or you can't, and the latter scenario is extremely damning and indicative of very deep issues in your political system.

Not being able to raise taxes as you please is indicative of having a democratic system where you have to be able to convince your electorate that it is in their interest to pay even more taxes.

This becomes more difficult, the more money is squandered for particular interests and the higher the taxes and dues already are. It becomes really interesting when you are intending to spend the money on creating incentives for even more immigrants to come who in turn will put more strain on the expenses. You are basically selling the idea that is cool to raise taxes so that in the future even more taxes will have to be raised. I don't see how you can win an election that way.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 3, 2016

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Parties should be talking about they'll lower taxes instead, reducing regressive taxes on consumption like VAT, cars and fuel-taxes, stuff that affect working class people the most, and make up for it by taking more from the top instead. Pretty sure most people would say yes to that if only someone came out and said it plainly.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

None of these are ever going to happen in Europe, even if hell freezes over. You are just advocating for not taking people in at all, if the above is what it's gonna take.

While the system we have right now is very far from perfect, it gets results done and is not very demanding on public finances. EU wide we have an unemployment rate of ~50% for refugees and at least for Germany the chance of employment peaks in the mid 70%(after people have stayed for at least ten years). And while the second generation suffers some disadvantage compared to the natives, the gap is much, much smaller there.

We should be working on improving the current system, getting more people employment through free language courses, closing the gap for the second generation, more education opportunities for adults, more public awareness campaigns, etc., not trying to turn people into US style serfs or run some megalomaniac social engineering project.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/782909467524493313

uh oh mateo

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

His Divine Shadow posted:

Parties should be talking about they'll lower taxes instead, reducing regressive taxes on consumption like VAT, cars and fuel-taxes, stuff that affect working class people the most, and make up for it by taking more from the top instead. Pretty sure most people would say yes to that if only someone came out and said it plainly.

Taking more from the top is good in principle (and I am 1000% in favor of it), but unworkable in reality, not while the EU is still designed as an elaborate tax-dodging device.

To get rid of tax dodging, we need either of these things to happen:
- fiscal harmonization to get rid of fiscal competition -- countries like Luxembourg or Ireland would do everything they can to block any such attempt
- tariffs applied to products and services sold by corporations that do not pay their taxes locally -- this is pretty much the exact opposite of the common market

Since neither of these things will happen, countries have to rely on undodgeable taxes -- that is, taxes such as VAT.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
You would need a closed financial system to use taxes to attack big business, which won't happen in the globalized world we live in, it isn't possible by any of the methods available. Or you turn North-Korea.

Taxing the middle class even more when the taxes are already to the tune of 50% will not garner any favours either, and will be counter productive in the end when people stop working or spending money since they have none and/or everything is too expensive. Some kind of 80% or 100% tax scheme only works in socialist fantasies, it has never ever worked anywhere in the real world no matter how much we want it to :(

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

None of these are ever going to happen in Europe, even if hell freezes over. You are just advocating for not taking people in at all, if the above is what it's gonna take.

While the system we have right now is very far from perfect, it gets results done and is not very demanding on public finances. EU wide we have an unemployment rate of ~50% for refugees and at least for Germany the chance of employment peaks in the mid 70%(after people have stayed for at least ten years). And while the second generation suffers some disadvantage compared to the natives, the gap is much, much smaller there.

We should be working on improving the current system, getting more people employment through free language courses, closing the gap for the second generation, more education opportunities for adults, more public awareness campaigns, etc., not trying to turn people into US style serfs or run some megalomaniac social engineering project.

Yeah, the regular immigration system more or less works, what I was writing about was more of a proposition of taking in as many people as possible at any cost out of a moral imperative.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Ligur posted:

You would need a closed financial system to use taxes to attack big business, which won't happen in the globalized world we live in, it isn't possible by any of the methods available. Or you turn North-Korea.

Taxing the middle class even more when the taxes are already to the tune of 50% will not garner any favours either, and will be counter productive in the end when people stop working or spending money since they have none and/or everything is too expensive. Some kind of 80% or 100% tax scheme only works in socialist fantasies, it has never ever worked anywhere in the real world no matter how much we want it to :(

91% top tax rate in the US between 1946 and 1961 but i guess it never worked besides in socialist fantasies like the USA. :(

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

steinrokkan posted:

This would be the American model if it weren't for birthright citizenship.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

9-Volt Assault posted:

91% top tax rate in the US between 1946 and 1961 but i guess it never worked besides in socialist fantasies like the USA. :(

I don't believe that any meaningful number Americans much lesss the middle classes were taxed 91% between 1946 and 1961 for a minute.

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, the regular immigration system more or less works, what I was writing about was more of a proposition of taking in as many people as possible at any cost out of a moral imperative.

It does. What people who critisize EU immigration policies talk about is irregular immigration (perhaps excluding Britons who don't like Polish workers flooding the job market).

Like in this thread, people will respond to this by replying as if it was about regular immigration.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 3, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ligur posted:

I don't believe that Americans were taxed 91% between 1946 and 1961 for a minute.

IIRC adjusted for inflation only people who made more than like $10 million/year paid that much, which were much fewer and far between than today since there was less wealth inequality.

The biggest thing about income taxes that's changed is the reduction of tax brackets. There are like 5(?) in the US today and were like a dozen different brackets back in the 50s.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Looking at nominal tax rates without taking into account how tax base is determined is not really a useful metric. Effective tax rate would be more interesting, as would a closer look at the interplay between corporations and corporate dividend taxation.

Pulling a Sanders and just stating "But we had a 91% tax rate!" is about as useful as saying, e.g. that Germany only has a 15% corporate income tax rate, when discussing fairness in taxation.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

IIRC adjusted for inflation only people who made more than like $10 million/year paid that much, which were much fewer and far between than today since there was less wealth inequality.

The biggest thing about income taxes that's changed is the reduction of tax brackets. There are like 5(?) in the US today and were like a dozen different brackets back in the 50s.

That I can believe.

Why was that one moron responding to my post about middle class taxation with that 91% poo poo?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

In other news Kim Kardashian was a victim of a home invasion at her mansion in Paris today, and jewelry worth several million euros was stolen. The right wing has already declared both Taubira and Anne Hidalgo (the current mayor of Paris) guilty.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
In regards to the question of refugees/immigrants becoming economic assets, there is also the question of technological progress. If you plan to wait for their children to grow up before you start seeing dividends, you run the very real risk of those children growing into a job market where automation is king, and there simply aren't enough jobs to go around no matter how healthy the economy. It's not even just blue collar work either, white collar jobs are going to be at risk too, so education alone isn't going to help. We're moving into a period where the state needs to basically take into account not just retirees as non-economically productive citizens, but a large (and growing) portion of working age people too, and in such a scenario the value of keeping your population stable plummets as the distinction between working age people and retirees gets blurred.

Which, again, is solely an argument against the economic advantages of taking in immigrants.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In regards to the question of refugees/immigrants becoming economic assets, there is also the question of technological progress. If you plan to wait for their children to grow up before you start seeing dividends, you run the very real risk of those children growing into a job market where automation is king, and there simply aren't enough jobs to go around no matter how healthy the economy. It's not even just blue collar work either, white collar jobs are going to be at risk too, so education alone isn't going to help. We're moving into a period where the state needs to basically take into account not just retirees as non-economically productive citizens, but a large (and growing) portion of working age people too, and in such a scenario the value of keeping your population stable plummets as the distinction between working age people and retirees gets blurred.

Which, again, is solely an argument against the economic advantages of taking in immigrants.

If there aren't enough jobs to go around due to automation than enjoy the Star Trek future.

Mind you worry about there not being enough jobs after automation was the argument of the Luddite in the industrial revolution, so I'm not terribly concerned about that actually taking place.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Flowers For Algeria posted:

In other news Kim Kardashian was a victim of a home invasion at her mansion in Paris today, and jewelry worth several million euros was stolen. The right wing has already declared both Taubira and Anne Hidalgo (the current mayor of Paris) guilty.
Le Milieu attacked someone who regularly instragram herself with a 20+ carats pure diamond emerald ring(4+ million€) while pretending to be cops? What a surprise! Let's blame the left wing!

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 3, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

No, it's an argument against the current configuration of the welfare system, which depends on workers to support the elderly.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Toplowtech posted:

Le Milieu attacked someone who regularly instragram herself with a 20+ carats pure diamond emerald ring(4+ million€) while pretending to be cops? What a surprise! Let's blame the left wing!

It's not like they know how to do anything else.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

computer parts posted:

No, it's an argument against the current configuration of the welfare system, which depends on workers to support the elderly.

are you suggesting we should put all old people out into the woods and let nature sort it out?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

are you suggesting we should put all old people out into the woods and let nature sort it out?

Perhaps there is a third option other than using the young to pay for lovely savings by the old, and letting old people starve to death?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

RPP. Rich People Problems, they can all go gently caress a hat,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Perhaps there is a third option other than using the young to pay for lovely savings by the old, and letting old people starve to death?

Money is an abstraction. Everything old people consume has to be created by the working population and is ultimately taken from them.