Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I thought one of the FBI agents actually did shoot at Finicum's truck before he stopped and they tried to cover it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I thought one of the FBI agents actually did shoot at Finicum's truck before he stopped and they tried to cover it up.

I remember the last thread discussing this, even. I'm in a moving cab so can't deal with search for a minute.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Elephant Ambush posted:

I think one guy took one shot in panic that missed or something like that. I think the girl in the thing also claimed she heard noises that were shots.

The sovcits were trying to claim that the vehicle was riddled with bullets. Like you'd think the roadblock had guys with machine guns and two guys in the woods with multiple machine guns each firing hundreds of rounds at it. If memory serves there were literally zero bullet holes in it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think one guy took one shot in panic that missed or something like that. I think the girl in the thing also claimed she heard noises that were shots.

The sovcits were trying to claim that the vehicle was riddled with bullets. Like you'd think the roadblock had guys with machine guns and two guys in the woods with multiple machine guns each firing hundreds of rounds at it. If memory serves there were literally zero bullet holes in it.

But the frightened teenage girl said there were thousands of shots going into the truck, literally THOSUANDS of shots. You calling her some kind of unreliable witness?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Victoria Sharp isn't particularly good at lying. She didn't have much of a chance in life since her worthless mother probably would have offered her to Ammon and Friends for breeding purposes if they had asked.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
One of the FBI agents appears to have fired after Finicum accelerated through the first roadblock. They tried to hide it, but it was found during the subsequent investigation. This isn't relevant to the trial, though.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

But the frightened teenage girl said there were thousands of shots going into the truck, literally THOSUANDS of shots. You calling her some kind of unreliable witness?

I thought she said 120 shots (not that she was right).

Casimir Radon posted:

Victoria Sharp isn't particularly good at lying. She didn't have much of a chance in life since her worthless mother probably would have offered her to Ammon and Friends for breeding purposes if they had asked.

Eye witness testimony almost always sucks. Is there evidence of her telling lies?

Edit: I just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gXbyZefXdc Yeah, she's lying, or being deceptive in some way.

Discendo Vox posted:

One of the FBI agents appears to have fired after Finicum accelerated through the first roadblock. They tried to hide it, but it was found during the subsequent investigation. This isn't relevant to the trial, though.

Thanks, I remembered something happened and there being a coverup but not what, and combing through the old thread is a nightmare.

WrenP-Complete has issued a correction as of 18:31 on Oct 1, 2016

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Neither are the pages and pages of gun and coin and truck derails but this is at least related to the case.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

WrenP-Complete posted:

Thanks, Quorum, I didn't know all of that. There is another sort of claim about French legionaries? Or about the identity of who was shooting?

I guess one of the fbi or whatever agents in town during the standoff spoke some French, for whatever reason. This morphed into claims that the people arresting True Americans were foreign agents or hired mercs, I guess.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I think most of the schadenfreude and interesting stuff relating to the case is mostly over, really. From the looks of things pretty much everybody is going to jail within the month and I don't think they can do anything crazier at this point. Derails are pretty much inevitable when people keep checking in for news and find not much happening.

Then again I find it interesting that the fantasy of Finicum's death keeps escalating. Wasn't it, early on, "well the feds shot to try to disable the vehicle and failed?" Then it turned into "THOUSANDS OF BULLETS!!!!" What's next? The FBI had a tank and tried to ram them with it while firing a .50 cal at them?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
AM radio crazys the day it happened immediately went to "Finnicum was assassinated to make an example of him to the patriot movement."

Complete with assassin lurking in the trees that leaped out and took the kill shot.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Neither are the pages and pages of gun and coin and truck derails but this is at least related to the case.

Wasn't trying to backseat mod, just pointing it out for when the defenses try to raise it.

I can't stand the OPB podcast, sadly. It's much too much baby's first court case, with some errors.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

MariusLecter posted:

AM radio crazys the day it happened immediately went to "Finnicum was assassinated to make an example of him to the patriot movement."

Complete with assassin lurking in the trees that leaped out and took the kill shot.

Still would have been a good shoot IMO.

I thought that it was two agents that shot, and then they picked up the brass and lied to OSP investigators about it.

therobit has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Oct 1, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Discendo Vox posted:

Wasn't trying to backseat mod, just pointing it out for when the defenses try to raise it.

I can't stand the OPB podcast, sadly. It's much too much baby's first court case, with some errors.

Like you were sooooo good in your first court case.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subterfrugal posted:

I'm not going to research this, but I'm guessing that any "foreign fighters" claim is an attempt to square the circle of "the people are with us" and "ow the people are shooting at us."

Real Americans are with us.
These people are not with us.
Therefore these people are not Real Americans.

This one in particular was started as "someone said one of the FBI agents was speaking words that sounded french so he must be a french spy!"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think most of the schadenfreude and interesting stuff relating to the case is mostly over, really. From the looks of things pretty much everybody is going to jail within the month and I don't think they can do anything crazier at this point. Derails are pretty much inevitable when people keep checking in for news and find not much happening.

Then again I find it interesting that the fantasy of Finicum's death keeps escalating. Wasn't it, early on, "well the feds shot to try to disable the vehicle and failed?" Then it turned into "THOUSANDS OF BULLETS!!!!" What's next? The FBI had a tank and tried to ram them with it while firing a .50 cal at them?

Come on, don't be absurd.....There totally was a tank but they were firing the main gun at Finicum. That's why there's a filled in hole near his memorial. It totally wasn't made by us idiots trying to make a permanent memorial with concrete and poo poo. no, that's where one of the main rounds hit when it missed Finicum's excellent dodge forcing him to drive into that snowbank. When he got out he was just checking to make sure his fly was up so LE couldn't siphon off his sperm with alien technology to make an army of super Finicums to use against us

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Like you were sooooo good in your first court case.

I would actually be interested in material that OBP is getting wrong. I certainly wouldn't notice.

Content: I'm on some kind of internal email chain of Oregon Audubon members which is :siren: lit up :siren: right now. I'm not sure why now other than it's the weekend.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

therobit posted:

I thought that it was two agents that shot, and then they picked up the brass and lied to OSP investigators about it.

Yeah, it wouldn't have been an issue if the guy had just admitted "I hosed up and accidently squeezed off a few rounds in the excitement." He might have gotten a reprimand on his record, but that would probably have been the end of it. Instead he tried to cover it up and flat out lied about it. Welp.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty much every part of the stop is subject to some conspiracy theory.

-LaVoy was pulled over by unmarked police vehicles and it's every citizen's right to drive to a police station to confirm they actually have a warrant for their arrest, which is why he told them he was going to see the Sheriff. LaVoy straight up admits he knows he's got a warrant out for something in the tarp video.

-The officers didn't announce who they were and this was done on purpose to lead LaVoy into the "kill zone."

-The roadblock was actually a "kill zone" that was purposely set up around a curve, and there was no way the van could have decelerated quickly enough to avoid smashing through the barricade.

-The drone or helicopter or whatever that captured the aerial footage had its audio deleted to cover up the cops not announcing themselves.

-The song that LaVoy died to, A Great Big World's "Hold Each Other," has secret mind control messages that tell people to attack the police but leave them unable to grab their gun. Ok this one is fake

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WrenP-Complete posted:

I thought she said 120 shots (not that she was right).

Eye witness testimony almost always sucks. Is there evidence of her telling lies?

Edit: I just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gXbyZefXdc Yeah, she's lying, or being deceptive in some way.

Wasn't the video from the interior of the truck from a camera she was holding? Essentially, the camera would have been her POV, she saw nothing largely because she was hiding in the seats and was the farthest from the action toward the passenger side.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Wasn't the video from the interior of the truck from a camera she was holding? Essentially, the camera would have been her POV, she saw nothing largely because she was hiding in the seats and was the farthest from the action toward the passenger side.

In the interview, the CNN reporter shows her the aerial footage, and she claims to have been able to see and know things it would have been physically impossible to see and know. At least that's how I took it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The French Mercenaries are a reference to this:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
"Yeah, and lemme get one of them croissants"

"FUCKIN FRENCH MERCENARY"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Most people aren't lawyers.

And yeah I'd like to know what the errors are too. If you have time could you point some of those out?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

An error I noticed in the podcast is, it auto plays the previous podcast because they are listed newest first, and the little window to scroll between them is too sensitive, so it's a hassle to listen to more than one in a row or find the one you want to listen to next.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

And yeah I'd like to know what the errors are too. If you have time could you point some of those out?

The biggest one wasn't illegal; they let one of the occupier supporters come on and say they'd "never fired a bullet in anger", a statement that went unchallenged. Macnab was apoplectic.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
hey remember before those bundy hicks were arrested and nerds were freaking out and convinced this was gonna lead to other militias copying them and setting up "established envlaves"

that was funny

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tin Gang posted:

hey remember before those bundy hicks were arrested and nerds were freaking out and convinced this was gonna lead to other militias copying them and setting up "established envlaves"

that was funny

I think that was because they assumed that like with the last bundy event no one would actually be arrested.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Happy Rosh Hashana, y'all! ...I have no idea what the holiday entails, but I found a reason to post this again

:toot::toot:

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Oct 2, 2016

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

WrenP-Complete posted:

I would actually be interested in material that OBP is getting wrong. I certainly wouldn't notice.

Content: I'm on some kind of internal email chain of Oregon Audubon members which is :siren: lit up :siren: right now. I'm not sure why now other than it's the weekend.

Post them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Happy Rosh Hashana, y'all! ...I have no idea what the holiday entails, but I found a reason to post this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hZVWuMEbFI

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Discendo Vox posted:

Primarily, it involves eating apples with honey, praying a lot and having many foods.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Discendo Vox posted:

yeah certain groups of Protestants love appropriating Jewish stuff. it's one of those things where on some level it makes sense, but the way some of them go about it is kinda gross

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah certain groups of Protestants love appropriating Jewish stuff. it's one of those things where on some level it makes sense, but the way some of them go about it is kinda gross

Is he grokking the jewhorn wrong or something?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Christianity is basically a jewish heresy though, so it makes sense to do that stuff. Jesus never said stop celebrating Yom Kippur or whatever.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

Christianity is basically a jewish heresy though, so it makes sense to do that stuff. Jesus never said stop celebrating Yom Kippur or whatever.

It really doesn't make sense the way the shofar has been adopted by American Protestants, no. My understanding is that they just think it's a cool Jewish thing, and hey, Jesus was a Jew right? Let's use one'a them in the Wednesday night service. I'm oversimplifying, but I'm also completely serious that for some churches that is the extent of their thought process. It's analogous to how the refuge occupiers see themselves as direct descendants of great patriots such as Washington and Jefferson, but in reality the only similarities are that they own firearms and got in a conflict with a government.

p.s. you might consider to stop with the whole :goonsay: well actually Christians are doing it all wrong, because :goonsay: thing before you poke your eye out

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

quote:

On a theological note the religious significance of Yom Kippur in atonement is more or less negated by the greater atonement for sin by Jesus' resurrection in Christian dogma. It is also an idea repeated often, with early Christians making public confessions on many dates in the year.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I can't watch that video with sound right now. From context I am understanding those are Christians with shofars.

Wasabi the J seems to be pointing out (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the role of the shofar as the call for repentance could be weakened or negated by the different roles of atonement in each of the religions.

Christians still repent though, even if atonement in Christianity has a different theological meaning, and perhaps the shofar has a different meaning altogether. What does the shofar mean to Christians? :iiam:

I studied some fundamentalist Christian groups a few years ago, and I don't remember them having shofars, but I wouldn't have asked them about that. They could have been using them for 2k years for all I know.

Edit: I am also delighted to know that Lutha Mahtin is not antisemitic like Martin Luther.
Edit2: Do they call out the trope before they use the shofar? Do they have the same names for tropes as we do? Maybe they use it as a symbol of warfare/fighting. The story of the attack on the city of Jericho, book of Joshua chapter 6, this story is super bloody is the first example that comes to mind.

WrenP-Complete has issued a correction as of 14:51 on Oct 3, 2016

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I thought it was weird as a child that grown men were blowing in rams' horns at church, but from what I remember it was a celebration of some kind? I dunno, my church growing up was strange - like tambourine interpretive dancers and people falling down when they got prayed for.

(not my church) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkK_zqwuli0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Your periodic reminder that the FED VAMPIRES SHOT THOUSANDS OF BULLETS INTO THE BRAVE AND HONORABLE PATRIOT LAVOY FINICUM IN COLD BLOOD AS HE WAS ON HIS KNEES AND HANDS IN THE AIR AND NOW THE FED VAMPIRES ARE COMING TO CELEBRATE THE FINAL SOLUTION LIKE ROMAN ORGIES IN THE COLISEUM VIA PATRIOT HOLOCAUST WHERE THE NEXT AMERICAN REVOLUTION WILL BEGIN

No, I'm serious. That's what is in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTVTFT8_0IQ

See?