Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Dammit, disconnected and getting a 10105 error every time I try to log back in

I don't want to do anything productive today!

happened to me too. were you in a dungeon or duty when it happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Any good guides on how to play a machinist? I want to try that class out as an alternate dps for when I don't want to play mnk, but I never played archer/brd much and my groups have been filled with bad mchs that have managed to do no damage.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Zerilan posted:

Any good guides on how to play a machinist? I want to try that class out as an alternate dps for when I don't want to play mnk, but I never played archer/brd much and my groups have been filled with bad mchs that have managed to do no damage.

There are detailed guides for rotations, but basically you want to stack all your damage while Wildfire is up, then do your best in-between with your 1-2-3 and weaving in off-GCD skills while you're swearing at RNGesus hoping for a proc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Am I alone in thinking (MSQ) the WoD stuff in 3.4 was pretty good, but the sudden resolution came a bit quick? I liked it all, but I think it could have lasted another patch or so.

Doing the whole WoL / WoD aren't as cut and dry as good/evil, like Final Fantasy 3 did was a much appreciated touch.

I'd agree but

I don't think we're truly done with the Warriors of Darkness and the concept of the other worlds sundered from the Source. This is just setting things up for later

Possibly much later but yeah.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Asimo posted:

So how the hell does the success of squadron deployment even work? :psyduck: I've tried to do the level 10/15 missions and failed every loving time so far despite having level 22+ guys and only being like 5-10 below one of the ability requirements (and vastly in excess with the rest). I know the level 20 one is basically hard capped to the reqs but it seems like the others basically are too even if the recommendation is that they're "equal to the task".

Jesus loving christ Square, put an estimated success percentage or something so I know whether I'm going to waste my loving time.
It just seems like, within the 20 (points? percent? I think %) stat leeway, you'll have to pray to RNG to get a success. If you beat the stat requirement, you'll win.

You can definitely tell that this is the skeleton of something larger yet to come and more transparency on your chance of success would certainly go a long way.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

There are detailed guides for rotations, but basically you want to stack all your damage while Wildfire is up, then do your best in-between with your 1-2-3 and weaving in off-GCD skills while you're swearing at RNGesus hoping for a proc.

How important is Quelling Strikes as a cross-class ability currently?

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Zerilan posted:

How important is Quelling Strikes as a cross-class ability currently?

If you are a bad/undergeared dps it's not very important, same if you are in a good party or have a decent tank its also not important.
Its a situational skill but a priceless one when those situations comes.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

happened to me too. were you in a dungeon or duty when it happened?

I was. Servers seem to be unfucked now, though

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Brainamp posted:

Got another copy of the smithsonian locks. Since it's market prohibited, how should I go about selling it? Just use the party finder or shout in Idyllshire??

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I got a lot of poo poo done today. A wipetastic Sohpia trial roulette, A9-12 including cutscenes, finally did Garuda/Titan/Ifrit Ex for the kettle quest, Ravana/Bismarck Ex for the first time (and got the Bismarck mount, hole in one!), a couple of various coils including T13 and basically all old Ex primals for the sticker book.

Now my left hand hurts like poo poo though. :( I need to find a more comfortable keyboard setup.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

HenryEx posted:

I got a lot of poo poo done today. A wipetastic Sohpia trial roulette, A9-12 including cutscenes, finally did Garuda/Titan/Ifrit Ex for the kettle quest, Ravana/Bismarck Ex for the first time (and got the Bismarck mount, hole in one!), a couple of various coils including T13 and basically all old Ex primals for the sticker book.

Now my left hand hurts like poo poo though. :( I need to find a more comfortable keyboard setup.

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/keyboards/natural-ergonomic-keyboard-4000/b2m-00012

Did wonders for me. I basically can't use a straight keyboard since about 2010.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Crackpot musing but I wonder if they swapped the music around from A11 (Exponential Entropy) and A12 (Rise).

Or maybe the two pieces of music work just fine with the other boss and I'm thinking about the lyrics too much. :unsmith:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The promotion to First Lieutenant in your GC comes after succeeding the level 40 Squadron mission, according to data miners.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/55h2ya/first_lieutenant_is_unlocked_by_hitting_level_40/

Kinda stupid really that you need to jump through all those hoops for a promotion when you've killed Bahamut, Nidhogg, 8000 primals, Alexander... Ought to be able to swagger in and say "yo, Merlwyb, I'm boss now."

Then Merlwyb shoots you for insubordination.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

super sweet best pal posted:

Then Merlwyb shoots you for insubordination.

Unfortunately for her, as shown in the 50 armorer quest her bullets would just bounce off of whatever you're wearing without harming you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She's actually the best and she would joint lead and you'd be best buddies and maybe more.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Sup bitches

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I've gotten some Materia out of it, including a Savage Might V that netted me a cool 310k, but no million-gil haircut. I'm happy with this update, because I found PotD a little boring at first, but now there's random treasure, which is always fun.

I'm honestly tempted to use the first copy of the haircut I get because I genuinely like it, but I also kind of like money and would love to sell it off before the price drops a lot. I do want to buy a house one day.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So hey, autumn is my favorite season and this patch certainly made me a very happy person.

Housing is the glamour I never knew I wanted until I had it, thanks again Godbert.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

You can have an outdoor apartment?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

For as much as people are selling the Samsonian hair, I am sure seeing a hell of a lot of people with it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Price has already dropped on balmung to the 1mil area.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

You can have an outdoor apartment?

No, you just have a lobby. I love a patio or something but nope.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ah, I'd got the impression from the post that that was their customizable outdoor area.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Thundarr posted:

For as much as people are selling the Samsonian hair, I am sure seeing a hell of a lot of people with it.
Part of this is because it's more common than people think, I suspect. But another part is that the people who buy that hair are the people with gil to buy the hair and therefore they play a lot, run around a lot, and in general are seen a lot.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
um excuse me

um

you're not allowed to

please don't run in the halls :shobon:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

um excuse me

um

you're not allowed to

please don't run in the halls :shobon:

that book is dumb

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Verranicus posted:

that book is dumb

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

have you ever had an opinion about this game that was good

Also, got my last yokai weapon at last. Scooty Puff Sr. was worth the effort.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yokai bow is dope

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

I'm firing every last one of them when I get the chance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My first RNG recruit is a Lala PGL who refuses to upgrade into gear that isn't a subligar or harness and I can't not use her because she has a good 6 levels on every other recruit but I'd really appreciate anything that isn't a Lala, but if I have to have one, one that wears clothes.

e:
Good recruit:

Bad recruit:

also when are they adding these animations for emotes for us?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 3, 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Squadrons are cool but I still wish I could have a not-chocobo companion. Also 90% of my recruits are Au Ra and it is very annoying.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

My favorite recruit. Yes, that is the Odin caster set. Look at how loving smug he is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ohh, I think I have him Gota'a Panipahr or something?

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Yeah that's the one.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Someone should probably alert the GC leaders that you have people moonlighting on several different squadrons at once. :colbert:

Heck, if they can do that then why can't we be in multiple FCs?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I recruited a lala thaumaturge who likes me because I am as good at creating as I am at destroying. :shepface:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

This is probably a way too basic question for this thread, but I've been playing the game for about a month and a half to two months now, and BLM is really the only thing I've played as (archer to 15 also obviously, and arcanist so I'd get Physick) and I'm finding that I'm likely not doing rotations with the correct spells. Is it better to cast Fire III for AF3 and then move to Fire I for single targets or should I just be spamming Fire III until my MP gets too low for more Fire spells and move to Blizzard III for UI3? When using Blizzard III should I continue casting that up to where I'll get full MP regen while firing off Thunder III on my last tick before moving back into Fire III or should I be casting Blizzard I or Freeze in the interim instead? Maybe I'm way overthinking the phases and my rotation, but I feel like I'm probably loving some things up and could stand to improve in this role.

I've also never even used Manawall, Manaward, or Apoc and I'm not really sure when casting any of those are really beneficial or what cues to look for. I'm at level 54 btw, so I have Leylines but not Enochian yet.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Variable_H posted:

This is probably a way too basic question for this thread, but I've been playing the game for about a month and a half to two months now, and BLM is really the only thing I've played as (archer to 15 also obviously, and arcanist so I'd get Physick) and I'm finding that I'm likely not doing rotations with the correct spells. Is it better to cast Fire III for AF3 and then move to Fire I for single targets or should I just be spamming Fire III until my MP gets too low for more Fire spells and move to Blizzard III for UI3? When using Blizzard III should I continue casting that up to where I'll get full MP regen while firing off Thunder III on my last tick before moving back into Fire III or should I be casting Blizzard I or Freeze in the interim instead? Maybe I'm way overthinking the phases and my rotation, but I feel like I'm probably loving some things up and could stand to improve in this role.

I've also never even used Manawall, Manaward, or Apoc and I'm not really sure when casting any of those are really beneficial or what cues to look for. I'm at level 54 btw, so I have Leylines but not Enochian yet.

My understanding of the BLM rotation at level 50 (and lasting until you get fire 4/blizzard 4) is:

Fire 3 to enter astral fire
Fire 1 until almost out of mana
Blizzard 3 to regain the mana
Thunder 1 while waiting for mana ticks
repeat

There's a lot of detail that goes into when and how to use your procs that I don't know because I don't actually play the class, but that's the basics. Once you're level 60, the idea is that Fire 3 is to enter astral fire, Fire 1 is to refresh astral fire, Fire 4 is for damage, Blizzard 3 is to enter umbral ice, and Blizzard 4 is to refresh enochian.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I'm mad because my hired npc has better glamour than me:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Variable_H posted:

I'm not a super good BLM but I know the basics of the job.

To explain, the basic rotation Pre-60 is this.

Fire 3 > Fire Until MP gets Low > Blizzard 3 > Blizzard or Thunder depending on how much MP you have and if Thunder is currently up on an enemy > Fire 3 > Repeat

60 it's

Fire 3 > Enochian > Fire 4 until Astral Fire gets low > Fire > Fire 4 until MP gets low > Blizzard 3> Blizzard, Thunder or Blizzard 4 depending on how much MP you have and if Thunder is currently up on an enemy and how low the Enochian timer is > Fire 3 > Repeat

Fire 3 is both too expensive and has too long a cast time to be spammed. Same with Blizzard 3. One thing the game doesn't tell you, for some reason, is that if you have Astral Fire 3/Umbral Ice 3, Fire 3/Blizzard 3 have shortened cast times.

Freeze is pretty useless.

Never hardcast Thunder 3. Only use it when you get Thundercloud Procs (As long as a few ticks of thunder have ticked down on the enemy Thundercloud Thunder 3s are always a DPS boost, unless it would cause you to lose Enochian.) Use Thunder to lay the initial DoT.

Manawall and Manaward are basically used when you really don't want to stop casting to move out of a boss's AOE. Apotheostasis is a buff you throw on the Tank when a magic based tankbuster is coming up.

• Locked thread