Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

My understanding of the BLM rotation at level 50 (and lasting until you get fire 4/blizzard 4) is:

Fire 3 to enter astral fire
Fire 1 until almost out of mana
Blizzard 3 to regain the mana
Thunder 1 while waiting for mana ticks
repeat

There's a lot of detail that goes into when and how to use your procs that I don't know because I don't actually play the class, but that's the basics. Once you're level 60, the idea is that Fire 3 is to enter astral fire, Fire 1 is to refresh astral fire, Fire 4 is for damage, Blizzard 3 is to enter umbral ice, and Blizzard 4 is to refresh enochian.

The reason being Fire 3 is way too slow and expensive in AF3 and Fire 1 gets a passive ability that turns Fire 3 into a free instant cast spell when it procs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Finally got my i210 Anima! Immediately replaced the shield with the Scripture one though.

Now I just need those Aether Oils to get to i230. Which isn't so bad, whereas the i230 > i240 process looks painful just looking at the page.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Finally got my i210 Anima! Immediately replaced the shield with the Scripture one though.

Now I just need those Aether Oils to get to i230. Which isn't so bad, whereas the i230 > i240 process looks painful just looking at the page.

The 230-240 step takes almost a solid month to complete assuming you get 3 Umbrite (900 Lore) per day, so yes, it's painful. Meanwhile the Aether Oils are 1800 lore each, but you only need 5 and may in fact already have all you need assuming you've been doing your CT weeklies.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If you aren't the kind of person that needs the absolute shiny now now now, wait until they nerf the current step in advance of the next one coming out. (Should be 3.45.)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Someone should probably alert the GC leaders that you have people moonlighting on several different squadrons at once. :colbert:

Heck, if they can do that then why can't we be in multiple FCs?

Well I guess that's what LS are for? I wouldn't mind a guild alliance though that way I can find more people to run dungeons late/early at night.

All the Au Ra.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm not a super good BLM but I know the basics of the job.

To explain, the basic rotation Pre-60 is this.

Fire 3 > Fire Until MP gets Low > Blizzard 3 > Blizzard or Thunder depending on how much MP you have and if Thunder is currently up on an enemy > Fire 3 > Repeat

60 it's

Fire 3 > Enochian > Fire 4 until Astral Fire gets low > Fire > Fire 4 until MP gets low > Blizzard 3> Blizzard, Thunder or Blizzard 4 depending on how much MP you have and if Thunder is currently up on an enemy and how low the Enochian timer is > Fire 3 > Repeat

Fire 3 is both too expensive and has too long a cast time to be spammed. Same with Blizzard 3. One thing the game doesn't tell you, for some reason, is that if you have Astral Fire 3/Umbral Ice 3, Fire 3/Blizzard 3 have shortened cast times.

Freeze is pretty useless.

Never hardcast Thunder 3. Only use it when you get Thundercloud Procs (As long as a few ticks of thunder have ticked down on the enemy Thundercloud Thunder 3s are always a DPS boost, unless it would cause you to lose Enochian.) Use Thunder to lay the initial DoT.

Manawall and Manaward are basically used when you really don't want to stop casting to move out of a boss's AOE. Apotheostasis is a buff you throw on the Tank when a magic based tankbuster is coming up.

Very good information, thank you. I'll work on changing my rotation to be more effective.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A while back I was watching a BLM POV video of one of the Alexanders and the BLM in the video would only use hardcasted Fire 3's to refresh his Astral Fire while Enochian was up. He'd sometimes swap out of Umbral 3 with Fire 3 and immediately cast Fire 3 to refresh Fire.

He was wiping out half of his MP before he even started his Fire IV spams and I almost died watching it. I wish I could find it, because it was unbelievable.

Personally, I just don't like level 60 Black Mage, I don't think Enochian is a good or fun mechanic to play with. So I only play Black Mage in level 50 roulettes nowadays. I've taken to learning Summoner somewhat and it's definitely more fun to me at 60 than BLM is, but I am utter garbage at keeping my DoTs up and playing with Aethertrail/Dreadwyrm etc.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Alder posted:

Well I guess that's what LS are for? I wouldn't mind a guild alliance though that way I can find more people to run dungeons late/early at night.

All the Au Ra.

cute, glad they went with the Au Ra they did, the sexual dimorphism is a neat change from the other races.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Why is the dragon man so grumpy about having to carry that anime around?

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
He's literally impaling her head with his horn.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DapperDuck posted:

He's literally impaling her head with his horn.

no kinkshaming

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

So two things since I just started playing this again recently (I didn't even log in to do patch poo poo until Friday).

1) Has the Sophia EX boat already sailed? I mean for learning parties and poo poo, I noticed it was pretty bad in terms of the learning:no bonus ratio on Friday but it looks completely lopsided now. Is there a good guide I can read so I can just blag or something?

2) Turns out I got Room 101 in PBC's private quarters, what's the Worst Thing in the World I can put in there that isn't just 60 pictures of Minfilia (which would require me breaking the company seals bank)?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Chucat posted:

So two things since I just started playing this again recently (I didn't even log in to do patch poo poo until Friday).

1) Has the Sophia EX boat already sailed? I mean for learning parties and poo poo, I noticed it was pretty bad in terms of the learning:no bonus ratio on Friday but it looks completely lopsided now. Is there a good guide I can read so I can just blag or something?

2) Turns out I got Room 101 in PBC's private quarters, what's the Worst Thing in the World I can put in there that isn't just 60 pictures of Minfilia (which would require me breaking the company seals bank)?

60 pictures of Hildibrand.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Start your own learning group, tbh.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Verranicus posted:

60 pictures of Hildibrand.

But this is the best thing...?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

60 Nanamos

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Chucat posted:

1) Well you're in a Goon FC so there are any number of players while would be happy to hobble you through Sophex. Or if you hate yourself use PF and make your own party.

2) I'm apparently playing the wrong game since I couldn't care less about glamour/housing, but moogles. Moogles everywhere.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to make my private house a moogle house. It's going to be glorious. Expensive, but glorious.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Chucat posted:

Pudding Rugs covering the entire floor area.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Alder posted:

All the Au Ra.

This is the best picture. Demonkin are the best. I hope the next race is equally hosed up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As long as they don't have a running animation as bad as Male Au'Ra, I'm not particularly bothered about the next race, should there be one.

Perhaps the next race(s) will be hybrids? At which point you're just going to see Potatocats everywhere.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

As long as they don't have a running animation as bad as Male Au'Ra, I'm not particularly bothered about the next race, should there be one.

Perhaps the next race(s) will be hybrids? At which point you're just going to see Potatocats everywhere.

Let us not speak of the possibilities of Potatoedyns, or the poor Potato mum that has to give birth to one.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Are they still hinting at this game as maybe being part of the "shared universe of Ivalice" thing? I mean, I hate the Tactics Advance games and everything they stand for, but there are Bangaa, Nu Mou, Viera, Seeq, Gria might be marginalized by the Au Ra though...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Are they still hinting at this game as maybe being part of the "shared universe of Ivalice" thing? I mean, I hate the Tactics Advance games and everything they stand for, but there are Bangaa, Nu Mou, Viera, Seeq, Gria might be marginalized by the Au Ra though...

Ehhhh sort of.

Ivalice could conceivably be one of the other Worlds fractured from the Source, if they felt so inclined.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Didn't FFXI originally take place or have some direct link to Ivalice? I dunno if they ever actually ran with the idea but I feel like I remember it being mentioned.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
I think they should have goblins take off their masks to reveal that they have the faces of pugs and make them the next race.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

SettingSun posted:

1) Well you're in a Goon FC so there are any number of players while would be happy to hobble you through Sophex. Or if you hate yourself use PF and make your own party.

I joined a 'clear party' after watching a video that made the fight sound like loving rocket science (I don't think I could describe phase 3 even if someone pointed a gun at my head and threatened my family), we hit Enrage at 30%, I somehow managed to do more DPS than someone else despite having Weakness buff for at least a minute and whoever decided to put Enochian in a game where you get slid around like you're on a pinball table every 40 seconds needs to be put to death.

Obviously we didn't clear it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I think they should have goblins take off their masks to reveal that they have the faces of pugs and make them the next race.

It'd be pretty fun to have goblins be playable anyway :)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Chucat posted:

I joined a 'clear party' after watching a video that made the fight sound like loving rocket science (I don't think I could describe phase 3 even if someone pointed a gun at my head and threatened my family), we hit Enrage at 30%, I somehow managed to do more DPS than someone else despite having Weakness buff for at least a minute and whoever decided to put Enochian in a game where you get slid around like you're on a pinball table every 40 seconds needs to be put to death.

Obviously we didn't clear it.
Just reuse the same description as Sephirot Ex post-adds:

"Ping Pong Slam Jam"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
What is the hard enrage on Sophia?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

She does the black/white circle thing, but all the circles are white.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
As far as I can tell, 90 minutes

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

What is the hard enrage on Sophia?

11:20ish? You'll have a very brief warning because everyone will get the same color circle on them.

Honestly, any group that can stumble through but still generally stay alive until the enrage, can probably shape up enough to beat her, possibly replacing one or two individuals who are consistently dying to everything.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Some awesome goons took me through A12 last night and I got a minion out of it. Thanks goons! Thoons!

So has anyone tried (A12 spoilers) failing the dps check during the time travel segment resulting in, i'm guessing, your past self being obliterated yet?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Some awesome goons took me through A12 last night and I got a minion out of it. Thanks goons! Thoons!

So has anyone tried (A12 spoilers) failing the dps check during the time travel segment resulting in, i'm guessing, your past self being obliterated yet?

what happens is alexander says no tampering with the timeline and kicks you back to the start of the fight to make you do it properly

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, and everyone gets hit for 999900 damage when the beam hits. :v:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

B-but Biggs and Wedge are okay... right? :ohdear:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vil posted:

11:20ish? You'll have a very brief warning because everyone will get the same color circle on them.

Honestly, any group that can stumble through but still generally stay alive until the enrage, can probably shape up enough to beat her, possibly replacing one or two individuals who are consistently dying to everything.

I laugh every time I hear about someone hitting enrages at 1-2% in pretty much any MMO that's just a matter of managing cooldowns better, or kicking that one guy that dies early every fight.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

No, but I have hit the hard enrage :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The Creator has such great fights. Really impressed with 3.4 so far.

• Locked thread