Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
She is happy for someone barely thicker than the stick she's carrying

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Maybe it's just a very thick stick.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is it meant to look like? I don't even know what miniature it's supposed to be!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Irate Tree posted:

What is it meant to look like? I don't even know what miniature it's supposed to be!

I think that's one of the Pathfinder flagship characters but it might also be a bad bootleg since I can't find one in that same pose.

I like how I can identify a Wayne Reynolds character design even from a misshapen mess = p

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

I tracked it down. It's the PF iconic Witch, Feiya, from the Pathfinder Battles line. It's prepainted, and the picture Paizo uses on the official store ain't much better than that mess.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm guessing X-wing's mostly flat surfaces leads to much better prepainted minis than typical humanoid figures because I don't think I have ever seen one that didn't look like rear end.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TheWyrmDude posted:

I tracked it down. It's the PF iconic Witch, Feiya, from the Pathfinder Battles line. It's prepainted, and the picture Paizo uses on the official store ain't much better than that mess.

Oh my god that's official?

:q:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, that's about the level of quality you get from mass-produced prepaints. I'm not surprised except for how terrible the sculpt is.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mango sentinel posted:

Oh my god that's official?

:q:
Finally, something that can actually be called pro-painted

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm guessing X-wing's mostly flat surfaces leads to much better prepainted minis than typical humanoid figures because I don't think I have ever seen one that didn't look like rear end.

I've seen ones that aren't THAT terrible though.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

AT-43 had some decent quality paintjobs if I remember right. Though they lulled people into a false sense of security when they shifted Confrontation to prepainted, and those ended up looking half finished.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

TheWyrmDude posted:

People actually buy this over unpainted? Holy crap.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ugleb posted:

From my small experience with pre-painted things non-humans usually end up looking way better. Humans end up with like big white bug eyes.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ugleb posted:

Some (and I use this term cautiously) prepaints actually have pretty decent sculpts (Bones quality) hiding under the gloopy paintwork. The problem with the D&D line is that their paint formulation IIRC can't be stripped off, which means if the Chinese/Indian sweatshop slave who glopped the paint on did it too thick, you're SOL even if you wanted to try a repaint.

Having said that, there is massive variety in the prepainted stuff, much more than in better quality unpainted, and you can see lots of people complaining in the boardgame forums about having to actually assemble their miniatures or the miniatures being bare plastic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Z the IVth posted:

Some (and I use this term cautiously) prepaints actually have pretty decent sculpts (Bones quality) hiding under the gloopy paintwork. The problem with the D&D line is that their paint formulation IIRC can't be stripped off, which means if the Chinese/Indian sweatshop slave who glopped the paint on did it too thick, you're SOL even if you wanted to try a repaint.

Having said that, there is massive variety in the prepainted stuff, much more than in better quality unpainted, and you can see lots of people complaining in the boardgame forums about having to actually assemble their miniatures or the miniatures being bare plastic.

The only complaint I have when my boardgames need assembled is that if I'm at a con I don't have glue or anything with me. I just want to play my new game drat it!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

start bringing glue with you

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ugleb posted:

Sometimes you just want a box of dudes for your tabletop RPG and aren't into assembling and painting. They also generally tend to be in blind boxes either with idealized mockups on the back of box or no actual model photograph at all. That thing is egregious even by those standards.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
For reference, here's the Reaper version, with two different paintjobs.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Sometimes you just want a box of dudes for your tabletop RPG and aren't into assembling and painting. They also generally tend to be in blind boxes either with idealized mockups on the back of box or no actual model photograph at all. That thing is egregious even by those standards.

AT-43 had a clear window so you could see how the miniatures look; same with X-Wing.

I would paint the poo poo out of my Imperial Assault dudes if I had the game box. gently caress playing in grey.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I totally get single piece, monopose board game pieces. I don't get why anyone would prefer that quality of painting over just bare plastic.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ugleb posted:

I totally get single piece, monopose board game pieces. I don't get why anyone would prefer that quality of painting over just bare plastic.

This hearkens back to a debate we've had a few times in the Death Thread. The core of it is that unpainted miniatures almost always look better than their poorly painted counterparts and there's nothing really wrong with someone who just wants to play the game opting not to paint their models instead of doing a lovely job of it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Eh, kinda. I mean, to be fair, the Feiya mini is pretty much a worst case scenario. I mean, they all look bad, but most of them don't look that bad. And at arm's length, they usually look at least passable. I prefer stuff I've painted, but I can get liking it over bare plastic. Especially if you haven't had a lot of exposure to real painted minis and don't know they can look better.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

This hearkens back to a debate we've had a few times in the Death Thread. The core of it is that unpainted miniatures almost always look better than their poorly painted counterparts and there's nothing really wrong with someone who just wants to play the game opting not to paint their models instead of doing a lovely job of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly a painting God myself. I'm not going to disparage anyone's attempts at painting their own stuff as they are at least attempting to put their stamp on their minis even if the result is amateur level. I appreciate that they made an effort and that's cool.

I just don't see the appeal of buying something that looks so drat ugly out of the box when they probably paid a premium for it to look like that.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Pretty sure this belongs here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FayBHOhucf0

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ugleb posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly a painting God myself. I'm not going to disparage anyone's attempts at painting their own stuff as they are at least attempting to put their stamp on their minis even if the result is amateur level. I appreciate that they made an effort and that's cool.

I just don't see the appeal of buying something that looks so drat ugly out of the box when they probably paid a premium for it to look like that.

Speaking as someone who's done a fair amount of commission painting, it's because painting things in a clean and quick style is a totally different set of skills than what is normally taught as mini painting. It's a huge problem that's basically a scourge on the miniatures hobby. It's like if you, I dunno, wanted to pick up watercolors as a hobby and tried to learn how to do it using only tutorials about impressionist oil painting.

Basically if you want to pick up "basic" painting and not the sort of poo poo that leads to studio figures the following techniques are the MOST important (in this order):

-Color/Piece composition: Choosing what colors you're painting and where they go is more important than literally any other skill.
-Color area definition: Making sure that all your pieces are extremely segregated when it comes to color application, not placing similar colors next to each other, making sure you have deep yet soft shadows between everything, etc
-Using washes and dips: straight up army painter, secret weapon and minwax is what you need.
-Layering and highlighting: you should be doing Basecoat, highlight layer, wash, re-highlight. That's it, don't gently caress with anything else.
-Every other painting technique.

Basically if you want to paint stuff fast and good, invest in dip and matte varnish. Dipping looks like rear end without the matte varnish layer, but once you matte it produces extremely good results. The key to success with dipping lays almost entirely in color composition and so that should be the MOST important step of speed painting.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

*takes notes*

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I took a basic art class as an elective in college. Simple poo poo like rudimentary color theory and design with black and white stuff, all on 2D.

That was before I starting painting minis. It's amazing how much I retained from it and use when I paint minis. All because I had to fill a bullshit arts and humanities slot to graduate.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Oh God he even uses BuyPainted's music :allears:

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

adamantium|wang posted:

Oh God he even uses BuyPainted's music :allears:

That video was pretty great.

Is this making fun of Buypainter? I'd never heard of him before. Looking at a random videos, his stuff looks not bad to me, but yeah it's the same music.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Big Ink posted:

Pretty clever. Cover it all up with a shield so noone can recognize your amazing talent.

lol brutal

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's pretty rough but I'm trying to dip my toes back into the miniature hobby. Here's my first attempt at making some terrain.

http://imgur.com/a/O1fyU

Long term I'd like to build a Frostgrave table and talk my friends into playing a campaign.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Len posted:

It's pretty rough but I'm trying to dip my toes back into the miniature hobby. Here's my first attempt at making some terrain.

Long term I'd like to build a Frostgrave table and talk my friends into playing a campaign.

Get cereal box cardboard, some old magic cards and some scissors. You can do pretty decent results by just covering cardboard with cardstock and other cardboard. Slats and tiling are your friend.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Len posted:

Is it bad I like the way you did the big tree? I think a whole table like that would be fun, looks cel-shaded!

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

glitchkrieg posted:

Is it bad I like the way you did the big tree? I think a whole table like that would be fun, looks cel-shaded!

Yeah. Getting a kind of Massive Chalice vibe from it, but in a good way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm trying different things with the trees. I'm on the poor side so my materials are the boxes I salvage from work and construction paper. But I should still be able to make passable things, I hope.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Len posted:

I'm trying different things with the trees. I'm on the poor side so my materials are the boxes I salvage from work and construction paper. But I should still be able to make passable things, I hope.

TEXTURE PAINT GOES ON EVERYTHING

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm going to pick up a hot glue gun today and try making something nicer. I made the building yesterday with crazy glue.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Len posted:

You should check theDMsCraft on Youtube. He makes really nice terrain with really cheap or even free materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'll give that a check when I get home then. My favorite part of miniatures was always the building parts. Putting them together, making a thing to play on, and stuff like that. I'm not big on the actual painting side of things but this feels like the proper thread for homemade rough terrain. If you guys don't want me to poo poo it up I won't post things though.