Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Pakled posted:

I'm rewatching DS9 and I love how checking peoples' blood to see if they're a changeling never once works in the entirety of the series.

DS9 flawlessly predicts the efficacy of the TSA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

DS9 flawlessly predicts the efficacy of the TSA.

At least they tested their methods on an actual changeling.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, that's a nice touch that all their random forced blood samplings and security theatre did gently caress all and was entirely useless and intrusive. DS9 is the best post 9/11 show.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Actually, since I've been watching DS9 for the first time, it seems like the changelings totally helped start that nonsense too, or at least encourage it. Martok had been replaced super early on.

Fake Edit: Plus that one rear end in a top hat totally faked it a couple times in order to take over Starfleet

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, that's a nice touch that all their random forced blood samplings and security theatre did gently caress all and was entirely useless and intrusive. DS9 is the best post 9/11 show.

Doesn't Founder O'Brien explicitly point this out to Sisko on Earth? I haven't watched that episode in a while, but I remember him gloating over how useless it all is and how much damage Starfleet is causing to themselves because of a handful of changelings.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I always wondered why, if Starfleet was so helpless against changeling infiltrators, there weren't more of them running around the Federation wreaking havoc. I mean yeah paranoia and inefficiency are problems, but why weren't there any starbases just loving exploding out of nowhere and "welp, turns out a changeling got in and set a photon torpedo to arm and then detonate inside the starbase" or something like that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I always wondered why, if Starfleet was so helpless against changeling infiltrators, there weren't more of them running around the Federation wreaking havoc. I mean yeah paranoia and inefficiency are problems, but why weren't there any starbases just loving exploding out of nowhere and "welp, turns out a changeling got in and set a photon torpedo to arm and then detonate inside the starbase" or something like that.
I imagine most of the Founders didn't want to risk their metaphorical necks. It's like the old saying, what do you need to create a minefield? A press release.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Watching 400+ episodes and a dozen films worth of Trek is super loving depressing when you look at how the real world is starting to move backwards instead of into the future. We could have been standing on Mars 10 years ago but we'd rather murder each other based on skin color and obsess over reality tv.

I'm in a bad mood tonight.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also our 21st century apocalypse is a boring climate thing rather than a awesome genetically engineered warlords and dudes with machine gun hands.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Rhyno posted:

Watching 400+ episodes and a dozen films worth of Trek is super loving depressing when you look at how the real world is starting to move backwards instead of into the future. We could have been standing on Mars 10 years ago but we'd rather murder each other based on skin color and obsess over reality tv.

According to the timeline we've still got plenty of time to gently caress everything up and begin WW3 while a billion people die and we do an FTL test that gets us noticed by aliens.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rhyno posted:

The Star Trek endorsed candidate is currently enjoying a comfortable lead in the polls, so really, we're moving in the right direction. :toot:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I generally agree with this sentiment but if you need a place to look for good news than manned spaceflight is on the cusp of an upswing right now

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tighclops posted:

I generally agree with this sentiment but if you need a place to look for good news than manned spaceflight is on the cusp of an upswing right now

Are they leaving Earth for good? Can I go with them?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Someone please shoot Rhyno into space

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For the love of god, please.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If you start saving immediately, there exists a slim chance now you'll be able to go to space sometime in your 40-50's

I know how that sounds, I start laughing every time I say it aloud

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Tighclops posted:

If you start saving immediately, there exists a slim chance now you'll be able to go to space sometime in your 40-50's

I know how that sounds, I start laughing every time I say it aloud

And when your Virgin SpaceShip becomes a black streak on the Mojave desert floor, they can probably shoot what's left of you into orbit like James Doohan.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Better that than locked up in a sanctuary district with the other working poor

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Everyone wants to go to space or shoot zombies. I'm prepared for the realistic, Mad Max apocalypse. Vote for Trump so we can get the kickass post atomic horrors by 2025

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
No one in this thread is built for a Mad Max future. We'd be Lord Humongous' court monkey jester, at best.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Immortan Joe was a fat bastard riddled with radiation sickness, and look at what he accomplished. :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

WickedHate posted:

Immortan Joe was a fat bastard riddled with radiation sickness, and look at what he accomplished. :colbert:

Yeah he got his face ripped off while his goon army and meathead son were blasted to bits by a mumbling hobo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You know what, fair enough, you've got me there.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I always figured the Changelings' end goal was always for the Federation to surrender and be subsumed into the Dominion as another subject power. They probably didn't want to go full-on massacre against the people they hoped to absorb. Not to mention they probably didn't want to destroy the resources they hoped to use.

I figure it's the same reason the Dominion never deployed any truly horrific weapons against the Federation, we know they had biological weapons and they should have had the tech to totally wipe out a planet's surface but they never did that against any Federation worlds. Presumably they wanted to keep it "fair" so the survivors would be more willing to work with them after the war.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Knormal posted:

I always figured the Changelings' end goal was always for the Federation to surrender and be subsumed into the Dominion as another subject power. They probably didn't want to go full-on massacre against the people they hoped to absorb. Not to mention they probably didn't want to destroy the resources they hoped to use.

I figure it's the same reason the Dominion never deployed any truly horrific weapons against the Federation, we know they had biological weapons and they should have had the tech to totally wipe out a planet's surface but they never did that against any Federation worlds. Presumably they wanted to keep it "fair" so the survivors would be more willing to work with them after the war.

Weyoun did want to destroy all life on Earth due to the fact that any rebellion would almost certainly ferment there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Beyond's out on Blu-ray! I'm sure the links won't last, but here's a good look at the newbie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH6XBXPUai4

And let's throw this in because :dong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZTnSxW4pOI

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 3, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The changelings used their shapeshifting as a tool of manipulation. Their goals were more subtle and long term than getting in, loving up a starbase's reactor core, and getting out.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Beyond's out on Blu-ray! I'm sure the links won't last, but here's a good look at the newbie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH6XBXPUai4

And let's throw this in because :dong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZTnSxW4pOI

Digital only on the 4th, Blu-Ray isn't until Nov 1.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pakled posted:

The Star Trek endorsed candidate is currently enjoying a comfortable lead in the polls, so really, we're moving in the right direction. :toot:

I like how that article brings up Conservatives who like Star Trek. How do they possibly wrap their heads around everything in the show being the absolute opposite of what they value?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tons of conservatives love Trek. They point to the value of the individual or small group in solving the huge problems. The Federation is a bumbling mess and there is a lot of on-screen evidence that it's not really competitive against capitalist powers like the Klingons or Ferengi. Hell, there's an entire episode where Jake tries to make some money.

Alternatively, they just like space exploration and adventures and don't ruminate on how it reflects on their political values.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rhyno posted:

"Murder each other profit and obsess over power for power's sake" is a much more accurate reason why space exploration hasn't been happening.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No one in this thread is built for a Mad Max future. We'd be Lord Humongous' court monkey jester, at best.

I'm taller and heavier than Lord Humongous :ssh:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zurui posted:

Tons of conservatives love Trek. They point to the value of the individual or small group in solving the huge problems. The Federation is a bumbling mess and there is a lot of on-screen evidence that it's not really competitive against capitalist powers like the Klingons or Ferengi. Hell, there's an entire episode where Jake tries to make some money.

Alternatively, they just like space exploration and adventures and don't ruminate on how it reflects on their political values.

I'm Christian and lean conservative, and it's mostly the latter for me, but (and I know this is weird to say on the internet) it's possible to enjoy and engage with fiction containing elements I disagree with. I would have very little from which to select if I only watched/read things that affirm my existing beliefs, and I'd be much poorer for it. It keeps me intellectually honest and helps me understand and respect those who disagree with me. Not to say I don't make snarky comments sometimes, of course.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Knormal posted:

"Thank you for the water Jolan Tru."

"Jolan Tru."

I know this was a while back, but I was catching up and this & the other Arrested Development mashups cracked me up.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Just rewatched the DS9 pilot, and man, there are some scenes where Avery Brooks' acting is honestly kind of terrible. He definitely improved over the course of the show.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Zurui posted:

I'm conservative and like Trek. This may shock you, but most (not all) people who subscribe to conservative philosophy believe in equality of opportunity, but not necessarily equality of result. Many make the mistake of believing that the Federation is not capitalist (even the writers make this mistake.) Instead, it should be noted that the Federation is a reputation-based economy. They don't give a starship to just anyone. Distribution of resources is voluntary. Why does Joseph Sisko run a restaurant? Why do people go there regularly to eat at said restaurant? Because of Joseph Sisko's desire to express himself through cooking and people go there because of his reputation. The same applies all the way up to Star Fleet. Now, that doesn't mean there is anarchy. There has to be a chain of command, etc. etc.

If anything, Star Trek portrays a Federation that is the Libertarian ideal of a reputation-based, pure voluntarist society.

Now, if you (incorrectly) believe conservatism is about greed and inequality and racism, then that is a different problem, but I assure you that most (not all) conservatives desire equality (racial as well as economic).

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

showbiz_liz posted:

Just rewatched the DS9 pilot, and man, there are some scenes where Avery Brooks' acting is honestly kind of terrible. He definitely improved over the course of the show.

Yeah, comparing his performance in the first season to his performance in, say, "Far Beyond the Stars" is night and day. Brooks is at his best when he's either brooding or wildly emotional, and the later seasons gave him a lot more opportunities to do that.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I remember about 10 years ago National Review did a Star Trek week where they got a bunch of conservative and libertarian writers to submit articles. Interesting thing is that National Review is now the most prominent anti-Trump conservative outlet.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

RangerAce posted:

If anything, Star Trek portrays a Federation that is the Libertarian ideal of a reputation-based, pure voluntarist society.

Now, if you (incorrectly) believe conservatism is about greed and inequality and racism, then that is a different problem, but I assure you that most (not all) conservatives desire equality (racial as well as economic).

I didn't mean to imply that conservatives are necessarily assholes and I'm sorry if it came across that way. :(

I definitely feel that the Federation is missing a unit of exchange. The idea that we've moved beyond finite units (money) is really great but human beings don't create societies without a measure of value. I keep coming back to the idea of reputation exchange, like the (ridiculously-named) Wuffie from Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. I mean, without the automated cyber-magic. Papa Sisko runs his restaurant to earn respect from the patrons. There's no "charge" to eat there. The Picards run their vineyard as a family tradition but also for the reputation of Picardo Classic Syrah.

It's basically a world where productivity revolves around Yelp reviews.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wikkheiser posted:

I remember about 10 years ago National Review did a Star Trek week where they got a bunch of conservative and libertarian writers to submit articles. Interesting thing is that National Review is now the most prominent anti-Trump conservative outlet.

Easy to explain: Trump is neither conservative nor libertarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zurui posted:

Reminder that Paul Ryan is a fan of Rage Against the Machine.