Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

He's a monster who wants revenge, and he has a superweapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
TFA is lame and nutless in a way the prequels never were, and Harry was just about the right level of critical toward it. Discussion of TFA only takes up 30% of the TFA review because there's nothing to talk about. It's a big nothing. The prequels are certainly something, even if they're bad.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

this plinkett video is fine and good but they probably could have cut the first hour/45 mins of it

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

someone needs to tell mike that jay is technically a millennial

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Randarkman posted:

yeah its basically the same thing. a character in a cool costume made to sell toys who does almost nothing in the movies and dies embarassingly.

I never saw a Captain Phasma toys in stores before the film came out, but found a bunch of them on clearance for super cheap in some back isle at Target. I remember this being a problem as a kid, I had to go to a few stores to get Zam Wessel, and once the film came out, she was everywhere. What a dumb character.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I wish I could make star wars and harry potter disappear from the Earth.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Christ, when does he start talking about The Force Awakens?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well, to be honest there's not much to say.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Randarkman posted:

Well, to be honest there's not much to say.

The review can be easily summed up with,

"Movies make me want to be dead."

---Mike

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

basicaly the last 40-30 min.

Stabbatical posted:

I forgot the 'Trash Compacter' line from the movie and seeing it again makes Han seem like a crazy-psycho old-man rather than an adventurous smuggler/rebel fighter who kills people as part of his job

also I'd forgotten how basically every scene has someone making light of their situation in the scene for no real reason

overall, good review that I somehow managed to not pause and do something productive instead of seeing but I'm not sure if I'd watch it again unlike all the other Plinkett reviews (but I'll probably do that at some point though)

yeah, TFA is defiantaly too Whedonnish(or least Whedon was before he cut his nuts off to appease everyone and get pissy at another movie then when he made a bad joke people cut them off again) at some points. the funny moments arnt bad(the kylo ones are great as are some of the finn ones and some of hans are ok) but yeah i see it. also i sorta of agree, what is Finns role in the movie, he is kinda all over the place.

I guess my issue is, I dont think we are ever going to get the same circumstances that made the originals so good. its just not how movies are made now a days for better or worse, most movies are factory jobs in one way or another, which is mixed bag in its own right. I am guess i am not sure what mike exactly wants. i mean i know, he wants a star wars movie that takes some risks and is original and i think that may happen down the line. who knows. As i said. i would rather have disney do it then WB or Sony.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

we might have a chance with Rian Johnson. very little chance with Jurassic World guy though.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Mike seemed really into the "This is the state of things," and he sort of already touched on them a little in the Titanic review. Both he and Jay seem like they are really counting down the years before the proverbial backlash against Hollywood gets loud enough to be serious.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wicker Man posted:

Mike seemed really into the "This is the state of things," and he sort of already touched on them a little in the Titanic review. Both he and Jay seem like they are really counting down the years before the proverbial backlash against Hollywood gets loud enough to be serious.

it will happen. the "cinimanic universe" poo poo is loving bubble ready to burst. the thing is Disney (for now) is the ones that will probably survive simple because of quality and name recognition. I think people are definatly sick of reboots and rehashes though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Between Marvel and Star Wars, Disney is making a sizable amount of the money in the film industry right now. That poo poo ain't going anywhere.

Marvel movies may have their problems, but I do appreciate how that poo poo is actually planned out ahead of time instead of just retconning everything and making it up as they go. Like all things, cinematic universes are fine in moderation. I do take exception to trying to turn literally everything into another CU though.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Anyone wanna talk about Metal Gear?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Between Marvel and Star Wars, Disney is making a sizable amount of the money in the film industry right now. That poo poo ain't going anywhere.

Marvel movies may have their problems, but I do appreciate how that poo poo is actually planned out ahead of time instead of just retconning everything and making it up as they go. Like all things, cinematic universes are fine in moderation. I do take exception to trying to turn literally everything into another CU though.

this. they are fine in moderation and well done(marvel and hopefully star wars) but a lot of companies seem to think everything NEEDS to be one which it doesnt. some i can understand like DC but their problem is it reeks of "ME TOO" without any clear idea how to make a good/compatent movie period, like on there own the marvel movies are decent action movies, some are even really good,(the iron man movies, winter soldier, guardians of the galaxy(in my opinion civil war)) but DC cant even pull that off. then you have sony trying it with ghostbusters which doesn't need that(it just needs a reboot of some sort or a sequel which isnt happening now) its alot of counting chickens before they hatch.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The new star wars review was very funny and at many points I slapped my knee laughing

I was also like "how the gently caress are they going to do a plinkett review on TFA because there just isn't that much to say about it", and it turns out that's true, and instead spend most of the runtime making GBS threads on retarded millennial bloggers who like the prequels, and this I approve of

I also appreciate it that even unintentionally, this whole review was like a giant flaming middle finger to CineD

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The fact that twenty future Marvel movies have dates attached to them doesn't mean that they were actually planned beyond marketing. I'm reasonably sure many of them still don't have scripts. The studio execs know that they need to produce three movies in one go, and that's all that matters. There is no big vision, because scripts are written by a dozen of screenwriters who mostly just follow directions on who should have more lines, what stupid cameo should be shoehorned, etc.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Metal Gear?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

counterfeitsaint posted:

They have already reconned major things and they will be making it up as they go along. Comics are largely convoluted so I don't know why people care about continuity, as opposed to things like books or remakes.

The thing about the Marvel universe is I don't care. I think knowing what will come out years before provides the incentive to lose interest as much as it builds interest.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed Lucas's Cliff's Notes.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The Star Wars sequels are terrible movies, and TFA is just "pretty good production".
I have an issue with TFA being criticized for being a basic remake and the prequels suddenly being revaluated in a new light as being different. They were also cheap soulless nostalgia trips with no innovation. It was just taking everything from the EU and putting it in a blender with an incoherent plot to string it along.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

FedEx Mercury posted:

The Star Wars sequels are terrible movies, and TFA is just "pretty good production".
I have an issue with TFA being criticized for being a basic remake and the prequels suddenly being revaluated in a new light as being different. They were also cheap soulless nostalgia trips with no innovation. It was just taking everything from the EU and putting it in a blender with an incoherent plot to string it along.

Not really? The prequels operated in a space that Lucas had demanded be left free and also generally hosed up anything that had managed to imply things in that space (such as Zahn's take on the Clone Wars in the Thrawn books). The only thing that really had any bearing from pre-existing EU was Coruscant.

It invented a lot of common theme Star Wars stuff today. Like padawans, the Sith rule of two, and all sorts of poo poo that's taken as gospel - it put all that stuff into the EU, not the other way round.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ka0 posted:

Add Dr. Who from 2005 onward and you have a deal.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

temple posted:

They have already reconned major things and they will be making it up as they go along. Comics are largely convoluted so I don't know why people care about continuity, as opposed to things like books or remakes.

The thing about the Marvel universe is I don't care. I think knowing what will come out years before provides the incentive to lose interest as much as it builds interest.

What have they retconned?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ka0 posted:

Say what you will about Harry Potter, but Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them at least looks and sounds like it's its own story and its own thing. It isn't a secret Voldemort origin story or the adventures of Harry's dad or anything like that, it's a wholly new adventure in the Wizarding World.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I love it that he barely talks about TFA because to be loving honest it's so meh there just isn't much to say about it so he talks about other poo poo lol

He's totally right though in that it feels like we skipped a movie or two between ROTJ and TFA and what we skipped sounds way more interesting

Ka0 posted:

Replace Star Wars with new Doctor Who and we're good.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I like Metal Gear.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

What have they retconned?
Ultron for one.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

temple posted:

Ultron for one.

Expand on that.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Expand on that.
Tony Stark didn't make Ultron.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

temple posted:

Tony Stark didn't make Ultron.

what?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Gammatron 64 posted:

I like Metal Gear.

I am confused by how a masculine, handsome tough bad-rear end like Snake can be potentially gay while being surprisingly quiet on the 'not-gay' front.

Wai--

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Wicker Man posted:

I am confused by how a masculine, handsome tough bad-rear end like Snake can be potentially gay while being surprisingly quiet on the 'not-gay' front.

Wai--

Metal Gear Solid 1 has a case of the not-gays be an integral gameplay element.

Actually it sort of does it twice.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Snake doesn't let tail distract him from the mission.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Solid Snake waits for Raiden to be naked and cold before informing him that he never runs out of "ammunition".

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Solid Snake waits for Raiden to be naked and cold before informing him that he never runs out of "ammunition".

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."

CineD posted:

I agree here, and really everyone should read the ridiculously long Ring Theory essay online. George Lucas obsessively wrote and framed every shot, to an extent that I think these great actors just weren't given the room to breathe the other films offered.

CineD posted:

There is a bunch of film academics behind a "Ring Theory" analysis which delves heavily into the intertextual and referential aspects of the PT and reads the six movies as a cohesive cyclic whole.

But upon reading some of the arguments by the people behind this project they heavily rely on old-fashioned Campbell's "A Hero's Journey" and Jungian stereotypes (which are obviously inseparable from SW) but without expanding into some of the interesting Christian Existential, Transhumanism and Zizekian analysis found in some of these cool CD posts.

CineD posted:

I just read the Ring Theory essay, and my mind is a bit stacked. So many things make sense now.

CineD posted:

The "ring theory" of SW has blown my mind. I just watched ROTJ and the opening to that is "boring" bullshit about project management. It links nicely to the opening of TPM.

Remember, Jungian stereotypes are obviously inseparable from this children's film series.

It makes so much sense!

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

break-up breakdown posted:

this plinkett video is fine and good but they probably could have cut the first hour/45 mins of it

I didn't really like the first half of it, it felt like it was largely a repeat of the other Plinkett Star Wars reviews in a way that wasn't at all compelling.

Might have been good for people who haven't seen other Plinkett reviews yet? I thought it was ok once he started actually talking about TFA, though it was odd that some of the legit things people have complained about weren't touched on while harping on about the sexlessness/lack of romance.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Metal Gear Solid 1 has a case of the not-gays be an integral gameplay element.

Actually it sort of does it twice.

I actually replayed it about a year ago, and I always found her not getting mentioned anymore after the game highly suspicious. I think he wanted that Juicy Otacon Meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Wicker Man posted:

Wai--

I dunno about Snake, but Ocelot is most definitely gay for Big Boss. Like, it's canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zFOdQYmTrk

• Locked thread