Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Yo Sheep-goats, what does the Thailand 55555 thing mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Xerxes17 posted:

Yo Sheep-goats, what does the Thailand 55555 thing mean?

5 is pronounced "ha"

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Ok, I understand the Coco connection and will avoid them. There's also the popular expensive expat and tuhao mall in Shenzhen called CoCo Park that draws throngs of gagglers who eat at the decent food court and then go home after gawking at blonde Russian women buy jeans.

Vivi still number one by far (in my sight). I see Vivians too, but Vivi is the winner. There's some (I believe) Shenzhen vape company that released a product with Vivi in it. I guess Vivi is really cute right now or some dumb poo poo.

I have an "Eliza" coming tonight. She added me a bit ago and last night out of the blue after 11pm was like "Let me come to your house for sex." I refused because it was so sudden and it hadn't come up yet. She explained more to me about her high-stress sales job and getting into the sunk-cost fallacy that business people tend to do. She even took up being the office translator for every thing, so she's working more than anyone else. 10-12 hour days. No actual life. No friends outside of work. Just go to work and come home and sleep. She wants to save up a ton of money and then move back to her hometown a few years later.
She said she hasn't been laid in a couple years and decided, because of Traditional Chinese Medicine, that it's time to get some dick because it will balance her health (not even making this up). TCM has been the scourge of my conversations in China, but this one I am not fighting.
We had a very business-like discussion about FWB situation and it has been decided that she will come late 1-3 nights per week after work and shower to get her relief, and no butt stuff. No relationship, nothing outside of my room, and continue our normal Wechat talking when she's not here. My rule was that she brings me a big box of chopped fruit every time.

I just really hope she doesn't up in my "LOL crazy person" story pile.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

you are literally the only person that hopes this

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
I guarantee some of those Cocos are named after Chanel, channeling their inner label goddess.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

ladron posted:

you are literally the only person that hopes this

I am cooking a huge amount of beans with chilis for dinner. I guess tonight is my night to be the crazy person. I'm already trying to figure out the fan direction situation to have everything blowing away from my bed but without making the Chinese fan-aversion come into play. I think I can bank it off the wall and dresser and then towards the sofa on the other side of the room.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Velisarius posted:

I guarantee all of those Cocos are OT Genasis fans.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
I'm in a Hong Kong supermarket and I just want a beer, but everyone's getting off work so the line is really long. As in, the express line is looping around the aisles and I'm currently passing through the dairy section. People behind me are lined up into Meats.

I swear we're just doing it to spite mainlanders though.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Imperialist Dog posted:

I'm in a Hong Kong supermarket and I just want a beer, but everyone's getting off work so the line is really long. As in, the express line is looping around the aisles and I'm currently passing through the dairy section. People behind me are lined up into Meats.

I swear we're just doing it to spite mainlanders though.

Are there 40+ registers and only 3 open at the most busiest time? The Mainlanders think this is normal, so they won't be spited.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the chopped fruit is a great idea

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Last night, my wife and I went out to dinner, and we were on the way home and we passed a really nice Thailand restaurant. We saw two old Chinese people standing at the window, with their hands behind their backs, staring into the restaurant. Sure enough, when we arrived at the restaurant, we saw my friend who is an American that has adopted two Chinese children, with his wife.

We went in to say hello, and he said "how did you guys know I was here?" And I said "The two really creepy Chinese people staring through the window nonstop kind of gave away the fact there's a foreigner here" and he and his wife looked and right there in the window were two super old creepy Chinese people with their noses almost against the glass.

He laughed and said "that's a pro call" and we all laughed together after looking at the people at the window while they awkwardly sauntered away

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

A Japanese curry house even. :chanpop:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Haier posted:

no butt stuff.

Hey, why no butt stuff?

Why not Coco as in Coco Chanel? It's a luxury brand, a girl named Coco must be luxury too, eh?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury_Storm posted:

A Japanese curry house even. :chanpop:

1. this picture is from japan
2. these are everywhere in big cities in china
3. they absolutely own and are delicious and are totally boss

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I know they even have some places in the US too

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"hey TGA, how do you know this is in japan?"

well, the japanese writing kinda gives it away, but also, and sorry to roast you...

-the guy on the left looks like he has a decent amount of class? definitely not mainland china
-a lack of trash and/or feces on the street? definitely not mainland china
-only three people in the picture? definitely not mainland china
-a public trashcan that actually has trash in it? definitely not in mainland china
-it looks like all lights are functional? definitely not in mainland china
-no one has stolen one of the flags outside the restaurant, or torn it down because "JAPAN DEVILS!!!!!"? definitely not in mainland china
-all three people in the picture are living their lives and not walking around awkwardly bumping into things because they are staring at their phone? definitely not in mainland china

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the street is sloped but they don't have the slippery tiles, so that's another point against it being in mainland china. also note how the building looks like it's in a good state.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You know, I never put that thought into words before, but you're right.

Japan, Korea and Hong Kong can do the "old and a bit shabby but still obviously well cared for and cool" building, but every older Chinese building I've ever seen just looks like dilapidated crap.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gorilla Salad posted:

You know, I never put that thought into words before, but you're right.

Japan, Korea and Hong Kong can do the "old and a bit shabby but still obviously well cared for and cool" building, but every older Chinese building I've ever seen just looks like dilapidated crap.

It's called having history.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jeoh posted:

the street is sloped

I thought we said we didn't want this thread closed again

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\

Haier posted:

Are there 40+ registers and only 3 open at the most busiest time? The Mainlanders think this is normal, so they won't be spited.

Nope, all cashes open. Non peak hours have about half to a third open.

God save British China

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

The Great Autismo! posted:

the coco I know that's in Shenzhen has a crazy meltdown after I told her I married my wife, after months of us hanging out and her insisting we were just friends. She was cute, good luck with her

Another victory for Japan.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

oohhboy posted:

It's called having history.

About how much history would you say they have? Could you quantify it in years?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Something like dog years, but "China years" after the communists wrecked all the good poo poo. Can you belive that there's not a loving single bow from the Ming dynasty left?

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 3, 2016

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

Bravo, Haier. You're doing God's work. Well, maybe not God god's. You're doing some god's work. Maybe Zeus.

Priapus?

vv: good call.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 3, 2016

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Comus.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurion posted:

About how much history would you say they have? Could you quantify it in years?

I only know second best China (Taiwan #1!) has 175 Years of History.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Didn't Taiwan steal China's history when it stole their government?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Mmmmm street milk.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Outrail posted:

Didn't Taiwan steal China's history when it stole their government?

In addition to plundering state treasuries before absconding to Taiwan, the Nationalists also took a couple thousand historic artifacts. Which is just as well given Mao would have otherwise have had them grinded into gravel to pave roads in Bumfuck Farmland Province.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ceciltron posted:

Mmmmm street milk.

fresh warm goat and cow milk is delicious city slicker. Dont knock it til you try it

Goat milk from an animal fed on garbage and poop might not be so good

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Killjoy posted:

In addition to plundering state treasuries before absconding to Taiwan, the Nationalists also took a couple thousand historic artifacts. Which is just as well given Mao would have otherwise have had them grinded into gravel to pave roads in Bumfuck Farmland Province.

Yeah that was actually in retrospect a great thing considering the astronomical rate of artifact destruction during the cultural revolution.Taiwan has better museums anyways.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ceciltron posted:

Mmmmm street milk.

I don't know if you're joking but that would be loving awesome.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Yeah that was actually in retrospect a great thing considering the astronomical rate of artifact destruction during the cultural revolution.Taiwan has better museums anyways.

Taiwan also has some people capable of appreciating art and culture, which is a plus in my book.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
So I was browsing through my local library (Hong Kong libraries have a decent English section), and found a book called POW! by Mo Yan, who went on to win a Nobel Prize for Literature. I got through about 75 pages before I couldn't read any more. It's not bad, or boring per se; I can't go on because it is this thread and every China anecdote in novel form, and at least GBS-China threads have comedic value.

The protagonist lives in a village that prospers by selling fake meat, and beats up any inspectors who try to prove it. The men are chain-smokers who preach about Chinese cultural superiority while having multiple affairs, and money is a major theme. In one early scene, in order to cause the protagonist's father to lose face, the village head throws his payment on the ground in front of him while he is squat-smoking. The village head then pisses a mighty river, so much that all the renminbi notes are now floating in a puddle of urine. The father nonchalantly picks them out and wipes them in his trousers, in order to teach his son that money is money and acquiring it is good, no matter where it has been.

It is an excellent allegory for Chinese society, but for me I just felt "I can experience this just by crossing the border, why am I reading about it?" Seriously, if you took out the "retelling the story to a monk in an abandoned temple" part, you could easily place it in the nonfiction section as an autobiography. So check it out if you ever doubt the tales told in these threads.

Oh and a mainlander let their kid piss all over the floor of the train carriage on Friday. The usual pants down, I'll hold your legs for you stance.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Imperialist Dog posted:

So I was browsing through my local library (Hong Kong libraries have a decent English section), and found a book called POW! by Mo Yan, who went on to win a Nobel Prize for Literature. I got through about 75 pages before I couldn't read any more. It's not bad, or boring per se; I can't go on because it is this thread and every China anecdote in novel form, and at least GBS-China threads have comedic value.

The protagonist lives in a village that prospers by selling fake meat, and beats up any inspectors who try to prove it. The men are chain-smokers who preach about Chinese cultural superiority while having multiple affairs, and money is a major theme. In one early scene, in order to cause the protagonist's father to lose face, the village head throws his payment on the ground in front of him while he is squat-smoking. The village head then pisses a mighty river, so much that all the renminbi notes are now floating in a puddle of urine. The father nonchalantly picks them out and wipes them in his trousers, in order to teach his son that money is money and acquiring it is good, no matter where it has been.

It is an excellent allegory for Chinese society, but for me I just felt "I can experience this just by crossing the border, why am I reading about it?" Seriously, if you took out the "retelling the story to a monk in an abandoned temple" part, you could easily place it in the nonfiction section as an autobiography. So check it out if you ever doubt the tales told in these threads.

Oh and a mainlander let their kid piss all over the floor of the train carriage on Friday. The usual pants down, I'll hold your legs for you stance.

When I'm in China I have to read books that make me happy to live in China, like Age of Ambition or China in Ten Words, or Strange Stones, I can't read stuff that is infuriating while I'm here. Like I left China for seven weeks this summer and cranked out Poorly Made in China and it helped me not miss China.

I'm leaving for all of December so maybe I'll try to find POW! for that trip.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I don't know if you're joking but that would be loving awesome.

My fiancee's mom has a fresh glass every day. Buys it from this goat truck guy and brings it home, boils it and drinks it. I'd be more concerned over the conditions/feed of the goats, but hey, goat milk is decently nutritious so, more power to 'em.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Ceciltron posted:

My fiancee's mom has a fresh glass every day. Buys it from this goat truck guy and brings it home, boils it and drinks it. I'd be more concerned over the conditions/feed of the goats, but hey, goat milk is decently nutritious so, more power to 'em.

At least she boils it first.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm the rear end in a top hat on some unknown floor in my building doing screaming KTV on his KTV machine at 04:30 in the loving morning.

God drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
If you host a goon meet over the border should I bring my bagpipes?

• Locked thread