Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

mindphlux posted:

I've been to Mamak now 4 times. I discovered it after coming back from Singapore for my honeymoon.

I gotta say, being fresh in my mind, Singapore level food just utterly destroys Mamak. I have ordered all the favorites - haianese chicken rice, fishball noodle soup, coconut laksa, char kway teow, fishhead soup, roti, sambal udang - they've all been more or less fine at Mamak - but just leave me wanting for the real deal

that said, if you've never had singaporean/malaysian food, I'd say it's very solid and worth seeking out.

wish they had an alcohol license....

I'm showing my age, but it's been 20 years since I've been to Singapore, and it was like 2 days in a summer long tour of Asia, so I don't remember much about it. I do remember taking the night train to KL from Singapore and having Indian food that was so spicy it cleared my insides. I do have friend who did live there, and she said she hasn't found any good Singapore food here except for Mamak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
finally made it to staplehouse

I'm more curious to hear what other people have thought than to share my own impressions - anyone else been yet?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I went and had a great meal. Can't wait to hear how you hated it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I went and had a great meal. Can't wait to hear how you hated it.

lol

goddamnit mindphlux doesn't hate everything

I went and was really happy with everything. no one else is doing the poo poo they're doing right now in the ATL. I've been lamenting the lack of a interesting, quality "fine dining" place in town for years now - they've completely nailed what Atlanta has been lacking.

the service was great. price spot on. if I had to critique something, (SINCE APPARENTLY MY LONG HISTORY OF HATING THINGS PRECEDES ME) it would probably be the tiny tables.

place is dangerous because it's walking distance from me, I am scared I will start going in regularly. :( ow ow ow my credit card bill

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also goddamn that fermented potato roll

please let me just eat like 20 of those and go into a coma

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't been there since December of last year and I want to go back. The meal I had there in December was probably the best meal I had in Atlanta that year.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
The Atlanta subreddit has a topic of the most overrated restaurants in the city.

Someone mentioned any of Ford Fry's places. The reply was "Don't provoke him, he'll open another restaurant just to show you up".

I wonder if that was Mindphlux?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

antisodachrist posted:

The Atlanta subreddit has a topic of the most overrated restaurants in the city.

Someone mentioned any of Ford Fry's places. The reply was "Don't provoke him, he'll open another restaurant just to show you up".

I wonder if that was Mindphlux?

I don't do an "reddit", sry m8

reply however is accurate

I'd love to know how he finances his projects / how leveraged he is, because jesus christ

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

mindphlux posted:

I don't do an "reddit", sry m8

reply however is accurate

I'd love to know how he finances his projects / how leveraged he is, because jesus christ

I heard his wife was rich and bankrolls him or something? but that sounds wrong

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I wouldn't not believe it, but the kind of financing you need for like 10+ upscale fancy restaurants is obscene. I'd guess like 10-25mil at the low end. not the sort of thing I think a small family business - even propped up by a rich husband/wife - could finance. I'm sure he has investor groups and it all makes sense on paper, but I'm just honestly impressed. a couple restaurants is one thing, an empire is another entirely - poo poo doesn't happen unintentionally.

that said, I am debt adverse and loans are dirt cheap, so I guess 10 million ain't that much to most folks if you have good concepts and a solid business model.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Staplehouse made it in to Bon Appetit as the best new restaurant in the US http://www.bonappetit.com/story/staplehouse-atlanta

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:golfclap:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
gave ton ton another go because what the heck

it was marginally better - but still very expensive. ordered $3 of extra noodles with my $14 bowl of ramen and managed to make two meals out of it. :gonk:

also no alcohol. which I guess prevented me from spending over $50 on two bowls of ramen.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question for you nerd lords. Anyone know of any of a good pho place north of Atlanta? Like the Marietta/Alpharetta/Sandy Springs area.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Manuel Calavera posted:

Question for you nerd lords. Anyone know of any of a good pho place north of Atlanta? Like the Marietta/Alpharetta/Sandy Springs area.

I never found one up there when I lived up there. I always came in-town to Buford Hwy, or now So Ba in EAV.

Windyblade
Oct 17, 2005

I hope we're still friends after I taser you.
I have friends that really like Hoang Long in Marietta but I've also heard it's not quite as good as what you'd get on Buford Hwy.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Passed the info on to the boyfriend. How about Saigon Cafe? That's nearer to him (he lives in Canton specifically.) We're planning ahead for my trip in a month.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Manuel Calavera posted:

Passed the info on to the boyfriend. How about Saigon Cafe? That's nearer to him (he lives in Canton specifically.) We're planning ahead for my trip in a month.

saigon cafe is the panera, willies, or moe's of pho. it's a little overpriced, but arguably pretty decent above-average lunch fare, but bland in some weird homogenized inexplicable way.

so no, if you're planning a special trip out to a great pho place, it would make me cry a little inside if forums poster 'manuel calavera' ended up at saigon cafe for his atlanta pho.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You must really care mindphlux if you actually used punctuation. We're considering somewhere at Buford Highway. It's an excuse to check out the karaoke place there too.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
<3

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I somehow missed that Bell Street was opening up a new location in the Stove Works on Krog Street, but boom, there it is.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Not planning to do so casually but if I were to start planning to planning a nice dinner with the intent of ordering an omakase course for two (or I guess... just two of them?), what are the best places I should look at? The ones I've been told about are Umi, Tomo, and MF Sushi.

It's an experience I've wanted for a while and always managed to miss out on when it was a possibility.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Comic posted:

Not planning to do so casually but if I were to start planning to planning a nice dinner with the intent of ordering an omakase course for two (or I guess... just two of them?), what are the best places I should look at? The ones I've been told about are Umi, Tomo, and MF Sushi.

It's an experience I've wanted for a while and always managed to miss out on when it was a possibility.

Hayakawa. With Brush and Craft (when Jey Oh is there) a bit behind.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 18, 2016

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
FYI B's Cracklin' Barbeque is now soft open in the old Hottie Hawg's space. I went for dinner tonight and had a pork & slaw sandwich and hash & rice. I really liked the peach mustard sauce. Definitely worth checking out as I don't think Atlanta has many (any?) whole-hog places. The pitmaster was there and was a good guy. I'll be going back soon.

Max PL
Apr 1, 2012
Hayakawa.

Hesitant to try Brush based on dining room experience.

Want to try Umi.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

Comic posted:

I'm partial to Doraku in Buckhead. It's always not busy, prices are great values, and they have unique menu items that break the trend of all the others.

http://dorakusushi.com/store_locator/atlanta/

Funny story about the omakase at Doraku - we were sitting at the sushi bar watching a giant-rear end plate of omakase getting prepared. Probably the best looking plate of sushi I've ever seen, it was massive (it was 3 orders of omakase on one plate). The chef brings it out to a table and explains to them what everything is. The table consisted of a couple of lady friends and Nicholas Cage. Pretty rad!

Hayakawa is awesome though. I like Tomo, but it's a little too buckheady.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Thanks, I'm definitely looking at both Hayakawa and Doraku too though, both sound real nice for different reasons.

Not seeing an omakase option on Doraku's menu though.

Comic fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 19, 2016

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

Comic posted:

Thanks, I'm definitely looking at both Hayakawa and Doraku too though, both sound real nice for different reasons.

Not seeing an omakase option on Doraku's menu though.

Their online menu sucks and is not accurate for what they have at the restaurant (there's a LOT more on it than online). Their real menu is a wonderful world of obscure stuff, but nothing too weird or unpalatable. They have omakase for $49. Order 2 of these to stuff two people.

Park in the garage, and they validate tickets. easy

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
oh no guy wong found a mindphlux post

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
meh, not worth it.

godzirraRAWR fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 3, 2016

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Brunch at Ticonderoga Club is so drat good. That is all.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i had a new burg recently from "bread and butterfly" that might be my new favorite burg in-town.

not sure why this fancy cakes & ale french restaurant has a "burger americain" but god drat it was delicious :burger:

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, that's a good rear end burger.

Their pancakes are so loving good. The rest of their breakfast stuff is really good. B&B and Ticonderoga Club are probably my favorite breakfast/brunch places right now.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Bread & Butterfly had our fav mac and cheese from the cheese fest last week too

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
We went to bread and butterfly on a whim instead of the Spence, which closed like a week later. Everything we had was amazing and the waiter was just the right amount of French and rude. A+++ would recommend to everybody

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Stalizard posted:

the waiter was just the right amount of French and rude.

Good ol' 'Arold.

I didn't' go back for a couple months after a couple back-to-back really negligent service experiences. I talked to a buddy who worked in the kitchen and he said they were going to make changes to the staff. When I went back, I didn't recognize any of the servers aside from our boy Harold. I guess they kept him for reasons of authenticity.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
He really was great. We actually picked the place based on the recommendations it got here, so thanks for that

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

godzirraRAWR posted:

meh, not worth it.

oh my god

are you guy wong :siren: please say yes

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

B&B and Ticonderoga Club are probably my favorite breakfast/brunch places right now.

+1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

mindphlux posted:

oh my god

are you guy wong :siren: please say yes

Scoop, if true