Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Geostomp posted:

What gets me is how shocked the right wingers are that their public, many of whom have grown up on a steady diet of their deliberate lies and been pulled in by appeals to their prejudices, could possibly grow to disobey them to live out these teachings. Deliberately cultivating angry extremism divorced from reality resulting in a large number of angry extremists divorced from reality is such an obvious outcome, but the upper crust of the right wing were just too arrogant to ever think that their monster could possibly turn on them until it finally did.

It's really pure hubris and arrogance combined with disdain for the people they are supposed to be representing. You are hearing the same poo poo now about how they are totally going to control Trump and we'll be back to glorious GOP establishment rule once he is elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Endorph posted:

He's not a very charismatic guy at all but that honestly works in his favor - a lot of the republicans I've talked to see him as a fairly respectable guy as opposed to a 'bleeding heart liberal.'
He's also the Hillary brand of stealthily-religious - a little more so than her, given that he's personally anti-abortion but supports it being fully legal because it's the woman's choice - which earns him points with the mushy middle.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Endorph posted:

He's not a very charismatic guy at all but that honestly works in his favor - a lot of the republicans I've talked to see him as a fairly respectable guy as opposed to a 'bleeding heart liberal.'

I think when you describe someone like "Everyone really likes and respects him" it's kind of weird not to call him Charismatic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

I think when you describe someone like "Everyone really likes and respects him" it's kind of weird not to call him Charismatic.
Well, 'everyone likes and respects him' but nobody's going to rush to the polls or rallies for him, i guess? They don't see him as some great agent of change, they just see him as a basically respectable politician.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He's also the Hillary brand of stealthily-religious - a little more so than her, given that he's personally anti-abortion but supports it being fully legal because it's the woman's choice - which earns him points with the mushy middle.

I wish he would be truthful about his opinion on abortion. Then he would be free of this stress. Look at his little hands waving around.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Drudge isn't even running the Assange story.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Endorph posted:

Well, 'everyone likes and respects him' but nobody's going to rush to the polls or rallies for him, i guess? They don't see him as some great agent of change, they just see him as a basically respectable politician.

At the same time, in this year, a guy who's stable and reasonable is a real comfort.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's the kind of centrist view that gets you shot by both sides.

There's plenty of pro-choice people who are personally anti-abortion. That's what pro-choice means. To be able to choose.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pulling this from way back, but I always love these 8-year before&after shots. Of course it's the time in your life anyway when age really starts to beat the poo poo out of your appearance, but the stress-related component is always dramatic.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Flip Yr Wig posted:

It is because it isn't a real thing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Flip Yr Wig posted:

But of course, it's the foxnews headline. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/10/03/will-wikileaks-assange-delay-october-surprise-announcement.html
It sounds like this tweet isn't his big thing. Just the reason he doesn't trust himself to open a balcony. :tinfoil:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Kaine's main accomplishments as Governor and Senator are all fairly important, but really bland and boring issues. He hasn't gotten tagged with anything controversial. His big issues as Governor were:

- Infrastructure spending.
- Expanding the Metro Purple Line
- Bringing tech companies to NoVa
- Making the state tax code slightly more progressive through refundable credits
- Some mild gun control after Virginia Tech
- Anti-smoking laws
- Some minor criminal sentencing reforms

As Senator:

He basically just voted for the Obama agenda and then hasn't had a chance to do much after 2010.

His major bill sponsors have mostly been military benefits and VA bureaucracy changes. He also introduced some bills to:

- Slightly increase Pell Grant funding for kids from tech high schools
- Requiring co-prescriptions for high dosages of opioids
- The Puppies Assisting Wounded Veterans (PAWS) Act to cover therapy dogs and guide dogs for disabled vets.
- A bill to provide financial advisors to young military members
- Increased funding for Alzheimer's research at NIH
- Research into education practices for autistic children and how to transition them into standard schools and adulthood.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Krispy Kareem posted:

It does. You're more likely to get a prompt arbitration than a prompt court date and I think there are less legal maneuverings to continuously delay your day in court.

The way it's implemented however is not. An arbitrator shouldn't have to worry about getting blacklisted if they rule against a company. It'd be ironic if arbitration clauses get thrown out, because a completely fair system still benefits the corporation. It's less expensive and limits their damages. But that wasn't good enough and now they've gamed the system so much that they risk getting the whole thing scrapped. Wells Fargo trying to enforce it's arbitration clauses for criminal activity might be what finally breaks that system.

You're forgetting the most insidious parts of the mandatory binding arbitration system, which are that

• arbitration clauses as written usually force the complainants to pay equally, with no right to attorney's fees. As such, it's cheaper for the company and much more expensive for the individual (who now needs to be able to afford and pay an attorney upfront)
  • by blocking access to the normal court system, small-scale systematic wrongdoing is denied class-action status, allowing companies to get away with overcharging everyone by a dollar, because who's going to go to arbitration over a dollar given the first point?

CascadeBeta posted:

I predict 3 things happening in the next presidential debate.

1. Second Verse, Same as the First. Trump flounders in the Town Hall format, Hillary proves again that she's in a totally different league from Trump.
2. Someone tries to sneak in an inflammatory question to try and get Hillary off her game (I know the questions are vetted, but is it really that far out of the realm of possibility for some alt-righter to lie about the question he's going to ask?).
3. Trump talks down to people repeatedly when asking about legitimate issues he's dismissed, such as the tax returns, nuclear comments, his 1995 losses, etc.

Bonus 4th prediction: Trump skips the third debate, citing bias in the questioner vetting or some nonsense.

I think it is possible for Trump to outperform expectations. Remember that the audience will be (and hence the questions will be posed by) "undecided" voters. That is, people who literally cannot find a reason to vote for Hillary even when her opponent is a giant racist Cheeto. The questions are going to be hard and pointed and put Hillary on defense most of the time.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
8 years later, Obama looks 8 years older. Shocking. Pressures of the position and all that. I look old compared to 8 years ago too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

cant cook creole bream posted:

But of course, it's the foxnews headline. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/10/03/will-wikileaks-assange-delay-october-surprise-announcement.html
It sounds like this tweet isn't his big thing. Just the reason he doesn't trust himself to open a balcony. :tinfoil:

Different story.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Trump used to be honest, but after running for president, I can't stand the lies his republican advisors make him say.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

comingafteryouall posted:

Guerilla group that has been around Colombia since La Violencia in the 50s and 60s. They started off as communists (or at least left-leaning) but I I've gotten the impression the politics have taken a backseat to fighting. The good ol' USA has given Colombia support in the fight against them, mainly because the FARC funds itself through the sell of cocaine.

The great thing about the FARC is that the UN says they're responsible for 12% of civilian killings in the decades of the war; the right-wing paramilitaries and death squads (occasionally funded by the US and Colombian state) did the other 88%. Its a weird relict conflict and the state-sponsored response has been far worse than anything the guerillas originally did.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

as much of a shithead Putin apologist Assange is he doesn't deserve summary execution and it's ironic to see the same people hand wringing over FASCIST TRUMP cheerleading this.

she was probably making a tasteless joke, and it's not like this leak is gonna change anyone's mind. but you don't have to live up to every stereotype of lefty authoritarianism

But I am a lefty authoritarian? :confused:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

iospace posted:

Different story.

That tweet is part of it. Around the halfway mark.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I think it is possible for Trump to outperform expectations. Remember that the audience will be (and hence the questions will be posed by) "undecided" voters. That is, people who literally cannot find a reason to vote for Hillary even when her opponent is a giant racist Cheeto. The questions are going to be hard and pointed and put Hillary on defense most of the time.

You could literally translate this to before the first debate and the only difference would be that the questions are coming from the audience.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/JLester34/status/780768509777289217

cubs player jon lester has been getting tweets aimed at lester holt for the past week

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
So Assange's complete anger at Hillary is because of a joke? :wow:

i'm not surprised by it because his inflated self importance is outstanding but drat man

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
If Trump had been less than a burning heap of acid sludge in the first debate the spin would have been that he outperformed expectations.
If he isn't at least mediocre now, the spin will be that he didn't manage to improve. Losing the first debate so significantly that even the foxnewspoll showed it left him in a disadvantageous position.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Wikileaks may or may not have something tomorrow. I don't think that is the point, though. Assange's goal is to keep the public's mistrust of Clinton high. Constantly hearing that Wikileaks has another campaign ending, horrible thing about her succeeds in doing that, regardless of actual follow up.

I do wish he'd shut up if he didn't actually have something, though.

Spiffster posted:

That is assuming the thing is even real, of course.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You're forgetting the most insidious parts of the mandatory binding arbitration system, which are that

• arbitration clauses as written usually force the complainants to pay equally, with no right to attorney's fees. As such, it's cheaper for the company and much more expensive for the individual (who now needs to be able to afford and pay an attorney upfront)
  • by blocking access to the normal court system, small-scale systematic wrongdoing is denied class-action status, allowing companies to get away with overcharging everyone by a dollar, because who's going to go to arbitration over a dollar given the first point?

In an ideal system, after a certain number of judgements for the same issue those class action protections would be thrown out to prevent that kind of problem. That won't happen and the whole system will eventually be scrapped because too many liberties have been taken. It may not be Wells Fargo that kills it, but some company will eventually do something so heinous that it finally makes a broken system unworkable.

Although I think it's going to be Wells Fargo when they try to make thousands of impacted employees and customers go to arbitration. It's a big enough issue that some district court is going to step in and punch lots of precedent sized holes in the law.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Spiffster posted:

i'm not surprised by it because his inflated self importance is outstanding but drat man

An alleged joke from anonymous sources with no backing.

Apparently someone with knowledge of a "high level state department meeting" chose to speak to a D-tier conservative blog about a possible assassination of Assange. Not any of the main stream media. Or even Fox. Or Breitbart.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Also, Americans know the rich get to game the system. We know. But we really don't like having it shoved in our faces or bragged about. Look at Romney; the poo poo he did with his taxes was all legal and normal for a rich guy and it still hurt him. Trump? Trump got these tax breaks for his personal income because he tanked a bunch of businesses (and as one CNN article pointed out, we don't know if the 900+ million loss was entirely his own fortune or lots of 'other peoples' money' stuff that left others holding the bag) and hosed over his employees. A reminder that a rich guy loving up gets him 18 years off paying taxes doesn't make most Americans happy.

The greatest mistake Trump made about his taxes was saying "that makes me smart". People understand that rich people don't pay much in the way of taxes, so they tend to give it a pass for Trump since it's expected. A lot of people (especially on the right) understand not wanting to pay taxes, so they tend to give him a pass on not paying because they wish they could not pay too. But by saying that he didn't pay taxes because he was smart, rather than because he had access to rich people loopholes that most people can't, he manages to offend both those groups by implying that taxpayers are dumb. Criticizing the tax system is one thing, but when you start outright calling taxpayers suckers you're alienating pretty much everyone.

Night10194 posted:

So what's the deal with mandatory arbitration, exactly? How's it work? I know it's some way really big companies can tilt disputes in their favor, but I've never been clear on what it is exactly.

When you sign the contract or service agreement or whatever with a company, it contains a clause saying that you voluntarily agree that if you have any kind of dispute with the company, you will have that dispute resolved by a private third-party for-profit arbitration company, and are therefore not allowed to take them to real court. Typically, the clause also specifies that it has to be individual arbitration - i.e., just you vs the company, with no class-action or group suits allowed. That is entirely legal and enforceable. The laws permitting those kinds of clauses were made for contracts between businesses, but courts have proven willing to apply them to contracts between companies and individual customers as long as they're not too obviously abusive.

However, because they're private and for-profit, arbitration companies have significantly different behaviors from regular courts - they tend not to rule in favor of the customer (the hundreds of thousands of arbitration agreements the company are in is too much potential business to risk alienating) and they tend to impose relatively small punishments (again, they don't want to drive off potential business by handing out rulings with real impact). The class action waiver clause is also enormously advantageous to the company, since it amounts to immunity from class-actions.

greatn posted:

Devil's advocate, doesn't arbitration have a useful societal function to keep the court systems from being more clogged than they already are?

The purpose of arbitration is to take disputes between two businesses out of the court system. It tends to magnify the effects of large power or size disparities between the signatories, and is thus best suited for an agreement between relatively equal parties who both had a hand in crafting the agreement.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Krispy Kareem posted:

In an ideal system, after a certain number of judgements for the same issue those class action protections would be thrown out to prevent that kind of problem. That won't happen and the whole system will eventually be scrapped because too many liberties have been taken. It may not be Wells Fargo that kills it, but some company will eventually do something so heinous that it finally makes a broken system unworkable.

Although I think it's going to be Wells Fargo when they try to make thousands of impacted employees and customers go to arbitration. It's a big enough issue that some district court is going to step in and punch lots of precedent sized holes in the law.

There's already resistance at it at state levels. CA, for one, has declared mandatory arbitration clauses in CA-law contracts as against public policy. The federal courts have been pushing back, declaring the pro-arbitration stance of the Federal Arbitration Act preemptive (so trumping state laws in the area), but hopefully we'll see some changes to that, either as a result of a new court or from this scandal.

Also, remember that arbitration is confidential. So even if someone takes a big bank like WF to task, nobody else hears about it - similarly situated consumers, etc. remain left in the dark.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

computer parts posted:

You could literally translate this to before the first debate and the only difference would be that the questions are coming from the audience.

And I think that could make the difference. Depends how well Anderson Cooper and Martha Raddatz curate the questions. In Clinton's favor though, only half will come from the audience.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
gonna admit, it's probably nothing but I am gonna arzy a tiny bit until whatever the BIG REVEAL is comes out

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Isn't it generally accepted, perhaps outside the most rapid fan base, that Hillary is, and has been, extremely hawkish? I think that makes it a joke in incredible poor taste, like if you're at the world most terrifying dinner party and Assange made a rape-joke, OJ made a murder-joke or Trump an incest-joke. Except those things are always in really bad taste, but whatever, maybe the situation was just right to make a joke about using the kill-bots to silence dissent. If it's not a joke then that is a fundamentally awful human being. Regardless, of whether it's one or the other, it's still endlessly better that the 10 least awful things the orange fascist has said.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

gonna admit, it's probably nothing but I am gonna arzy a tiny bit until whatever the BIG REVEAL is comes out

It turns out that Hillary Clinton can melt steel beams.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why doesn't Assange leak something useful, like what is the Nintendo NX?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/782967078424875008

Looks like I'm voting *rolls dice* Prohibition Party

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

greatn posted:

Why doesn't Assange leak something useful, like what is the Nintendo NX?
Does it serve Russian interests? Then there is your answer.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/jehld/status/782969486961889281

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/anamariecox/status/782969673067421697

things are going well

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Its dirty but frankly I cannot see how you can perform anti-terror operations in the modern day without poo poo like this

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Luigi Thirty posted:

I prefer Taco Tuesday, but to each his own.

Am I missing something here? POTUS is commander in chief of the military, and responsibility of Anti terror operations is on him. Or is it just the fun that is the story here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh my god that is literally the worst possible answer he could give on that subject, isn't it.

• Locked thread