Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Whiplash was basically perfect but the timeline of Andrew going back and forth to the competition in his rental car seems impossible with the journey ruins we were given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

EmmyOk posted:

Whiplash was basically perfect but the timeline of Andrew going back and forth to the competition in his rental car seems impossible with the journey ruins we were given.

Yeah, that whole sequence felt a little over the top to me. Whatever, the only things that mattered about that movie were JK Simmons being goddamn mesmerizing the entire time and that rad solo at the end.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

a while back, but:

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, that actually seems decently likely. The movie even makes a point of telling us that there's an anti-meteor defensive network around earth, which went conspicuously unmentioned after Buenos Aires was hit: https://youtu.be/S-s4lEk91ng?t=34s
And then the movie immediately goes "ONE YEAR EARLIER" to hammer home that this defense system is a recent development

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah, I don't know what was going on with Warner Brothers in the early 90s but for a while they were really into cartoons with adult jokes and references that went far beyond throwing a bone to parents. I rewatched a few episodes of Freakazoid a couple of years ago and determined I must've just liked anything animated, because I sure as hell wouldn't have gotten jokes about Sinbad having his own TV show.

Freakazoid was something special, idk why or how but in like (91? never saw the show in person) but still everybody around me would quote it (via the danish translation) FREAKAZOID. its probably the word

i remember a ton of other shows, but that one was so intense. i dont think i would like it now tho.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EmmyOk posted:

yea there was no way he could make that run in real life

whatever tho, the acting & the music was so good. who gives a poo poo about a timing thing in a whatever. Did it drag? Did it drag or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDAsABdkWSc

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVt_1lGTUcg

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hate it when it's apparent that the director is having more fun than their audience. I find Tarantino too self-indulgent to be enjoyable these days. Case in point: the tavern scene from Inglorious Basterds. It's twenty-five-cocking-minutes-long, a sixth of the running time. There's little plot to be had and it doesn't work well on a character level because all of them die at the end of it. Hell all of the characters of the film feel underused compared to Pulp Fiction and it even ends with Tarantino jerking off in front of the camera.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hate it when it's apparent that the director is having more fun than their audience. I find Tarantino too self-indulgent to be enjoyable these days. Case in point: the tavern scene from Inglorious Basterds. It's twenty-five-cocking-minutes-long, a sixth of the running time. There's little plot to be had and it doesn't work well on a character level because all of them die at the end of it. Hell all of the characters of the film feel underused compared to Pulp Fiction and it even ends with Tarantino jerking off in front of the camera.

I don't think you understand suspense.

To contribute, I was watching True Lies last night because it's awesome, and the only problem I have with it is the concept of anyone cheating on Arnold Schwarzenegger with Bill Paxton as a used car salesman. Takes me right out of my campy sexy 90s action comedy spy thriller.

Mr. Bad Guy has a new favorite as of 14:17 on Sep 30, 2016

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

This but almost every Tarantino movie for me. I really wish I could enjoy his work, but listening to Bill talk about his kid killing a goldfish for 15 minutes isn't artistic to me, sorry.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rolo posted:

This but almost every Tarantino movie for me. I really wish I could enjoy his work, but listening to Bill talk about his kid killing a goldfish for 15 minutes isn't artistic to me, sorry.

But you got that Bill is an idiot who thinks a kid stepping on a goldfish proves she is a natural killer like him and Beatrix? That and his retarded take on Superman aren't supposed to be profound and agreed with.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I enjoy Tarantino movies, but whenever a character starts monologuing about obscure film/historical trivia it does kind of rip me out of the movie for a minute because it's so clearly his thing. They might as well cut away to him in the director's chair quizzing us on the German silent film industry.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Or the gratuitous shots of feet. I think the funniest is when Hans Landa removes the actress/spy lady's shoe and there is this reaction shot of her gasping like he just shoved a dildo up her butt.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hated the boring Superman story in Kill Bill. And I know he put in the dialogue about silver surfer into Crimson Tide.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Away all Goats posted:

Or the gratuitous shots of feet. I think the funniest is when Hans Landa removes the actress/spy lady's shoe and there is this reaction shot of her gasping like he just shoved a dildo up her butt.

The weirdest thing about Tarantino's foot fetish is when he was the guest on a daytime talk show and, after judging an impromptu foot beauty contest, explained that it was "a black male thing".

Does Quentin Tarantino think that he's black? That's what I take away from it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

"With this sacred fist-bump I dub thee an honorary black man."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wheat Loaf posted:

The weirdest thing about Tarantino's foot fetish is when he was the guest on a daytime talk show and, after judging an impromptu foot beauty contest, explained that it was "a black male thing".

Does Quentin Tarantino think that he's black? That's what I take away from it.

I don't know about that but I've heard that he is adamant that there is no sign in front of his house that says "dead friend of the family storage."

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Whenever I see a foot scene in one of Tarantino's films I can't help but remember that he probably popped a boner while filming that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The worst is in From Dusk Till Dawn where Tarantino drinks tequila from Salma Hayeks foot. What a creepy horn dog.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Watched London has Fallen on Amazon prime. I know I was in for "More Extreme Presidential Assasination attempt 2" but they really cranked it up to a silly degree. And in spite of the sheer scale of the terrorist plot, it came off as colossally inefficient.

I had assumed the terrorists were going to get all the world leaders in that church for the funeral, then blow IT up, with the President of the US having some sort of plot armor sparing him from the same fate. Instead, you get a bunch of presidents assasinated piecemeal; the German Chancellor by disguised guards, the Japanese PM by blowing a bridge, the French president by an exploding barge, and the Canadian PM by a car bomb. But whatever plan they had for the US prez was by far the worst- just a bunch of terrorists disguised by policemen raking his limo with gunfire. You could argue it was the secret service guy's experience to be unpredictably early saved the President's life, but it wasn't even suggested they had anything in particular in store for dispatching the President. And yet the terrorists have a literal army of guys crawling all over London chasing them, which is a helluva contingency plan.

Not to mention going to London in the first place, after the White House had gotten blown in half by North Koreans (which I don't even remember if they even acknoleged what happened; the movie is as good as a standalone film. I thought White House down was the better of the 2, because at least it didn't try to take itself too seriously.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Snapchat A Titty posted:

What a creepy horn dog.

In Inglourious Bastards, when the French farmer lists the components of the Jewish family to the SS officer, he gives the ages of the children. In the exact instant he says the daughter is 18 years old, I knew that one, she would be the protagonist of the movie and two, we would see her feet. I'm surprised he made her 18 and not 15

Also, from IMDB:

quote:

In the scene where Bridget von Hammersmark was choked to death after being discovered as a spy, Diane Kruger was almost accidentally really choked. Quentin Tarantino was unimpressed with choking scenes in other movies, in that actors are rarely in any considerable danger while shooting them, and convinced Kruger to be strangled for real in order to get the scene just right. Fearing that actor Christoph Waltz would choke her too much or too little, Tarantino decided to literally take matters into his own hands and did the scene himself. In an interview, Tarantino said, "What I said to her was, I'm gonna just strangle you, alright? Full on, I'm gonna cut off your air, for just a little bit of time. We're gonna see the reaction in your face and I'm gonna yell cut." Kruger decided this was reasonable and let Tarantino sit on top of her and choke her to the point of unconsciousness. Fortunately for Kruger, the shot was accomplished in one take.

What a creepy little man

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm glad as hell that some people in this thread are taking off the rose-colored glasses about that first movie, I've gotten a lot of hassle over the years for claiming the 2005 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a better movie.
The only good thing about the 2005 film is that it was too late to influence Marilyn Manson.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
'Pulp Fiction' is my favorite film ever, but drat Tarantino sucks as a person. Thankfully, I'm apparently the rare person who can easily divorce the artist from the art.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FELD1 posted:

'Pulp Fiction' is my favorite film ever, but drat Tarantino sucks as a person. Thankfully, I'm apparently the rare person who can easily divorce the artist from the art.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hackbunny posted:

In Inglourious Bastards, when the French farmer lists the components of the Jewish family to the SS officer, he gives the ages of the children. In the exact instant he says the daughter is 18 years old, I knew that one, she would be the protagonist of the movie and two, we would see her feet. I'm surprised he made her 18 and not 15

Also, from IMDB:

What a creepy little man

:wtf:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Same deal with Joss Whedon, I think - I believe he joked that "Summer Glau's feet" could be credited as a character in Serenity.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

What a wretch of a person.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

As long as we're hating on Tarantino: https://youtu.be/6mzqahILpAs

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Inglorious Basterds is the best film Tarantino has ever done. The tavern scene is the best scene in Inglorious Basterds.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
After stopping midway through the final season, I finished watching Under the Dome today. Of all the amazingly irritating things in there, I think the best way when they want to induce someone to give birth, they just start pushing the baby out of the swollen belly with their arms, like they're trying to roll out a massive lump of dough with a rolling pin. And it's played completely straight. Or was it awesome? I'm not quite sure. If I ever knock up a woman and need the baby out asap, I'll definitely give it a try.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that's kind of stupid about the first Highlander movie is that Ramirez talks about his sword and how it was made in the 7th century BC, which is like a thousand years before Japanese swordsmiths made anything like that. The thing is, the love interest sword expert then SAYS this when talking about the sword but absolutely nothing comes of it. Its like how they don't have any kind of explanation as to what the deal is with the immortals.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

Its like how they don't have any kind of explanation as to what the deal is with the immortals.

No way, Sean Connery has an answer ready for when MacLeod asks "Why are we immortal?" :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I don't think you understand suspense.

To contribute, I was watching True Lies last night because it's awesome, and the only problem I have with it is the concept of anyone cheating on Arnold Schwarzenegger with Bill Paxton as a used car salesman. Takes me right out of my campy sexy 90s action comedy spy thriller.

That's kind of the point. Arnie is - well, Arnie - but he's playing the part of the world's most ordinary man and that makes him boring. Meanwhile while Bill Paxton is an ordinary man playing the part of a heroic secret agent, and that makes him exciting.

It's worth remembering that True Lies is a remake of a French farce, and the French love that kind of exchange of positions.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think it's better that the reasons for immorality are never explained. Because when they actually did a film that explained it the explanation was really lame.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think it's better that the reasons for immorality are never explained. Because when they actually did a film that explained it the explanation was really lame.

Immorality needs no rationale. :colbert:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In Ringu (the original Japanese version of The Ring), how did Sadako get the teenagers in their car at the beginning? Can she enter the world without using a TV? Am I just too used the overly expository American movies?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Didn't she get a dude in his car in the american version too? I think she's capable of appearing to whoever watched the tape, regardless of where they are. Or maybe she popped out of the nearest TV and took a cab to wherever the guy was, who knows.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Didn't she get a dude in his car in the american version too? I think she's capable of appearing to whoever watched the tape, regardless of where they are. Or maybe she popped out of the nearest TV and took a cab to wherever the guy was, who knows.

Did somebody say she could could come out of mirrors, too? Or any kind of screen images could appear on.

They didn't have cell phones capable of video back then though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man, there's a movie that got obsoleted by the development of technology. You may think the advent of video capable cell phones might make a hypothetical remake more interesting, but the video would just go viral on youtube and everyone would have seen it within hours. People would prank each other into watching it. "drat, ringrolled again!"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man, there's a movie that got obsoleted by the development of technology. You may think the advent of video capable cell phones might make a hypothetical remake more interesting, but the video would just go viral on youtube and everyone would have seen it within hours. People would prank each other into watching it. "drat, ringrolled again!"

Isn't that the plot of the upcoming sequel?

There is a ds horror game about a ghost possessed video game that had been posted on the internet and people totally do prank each other by tricking them into playing "haunted" game that is in fact haunted and capable of killing you inside a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It Follows seems like the natural progression of The Ring in a world where the first cursed person could just stick the video on YouTube and pass it around most of the world in seconds.