Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He's also the Hillary brand of stealthily-religious - a little more so than her, given that he's personally anti-abortion but supports it being fully legal because it's the woman's choice - which earns him points with the mushy middle.

This is kind of silly. "Stealthy-religious," is uh, dumb af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh look an article from 2012 where the author uses the phrase Terror Tuesdays once without source or backing.

Edit: Also yeah, the list of targets is decided in a MEETING. How would you do it, via Slack? Or would you empower the CIA to kill whoever they want?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 3, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fangz posted:

Oh look an article from 2012 where the author uses the phrase Terror Tuesdays once without source or backing.

Not that kind of thing has ever mattered to Glen Greenwald and is cadre of idiots he employs and his propaganda machine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, counter-terrorism kills dudes. you have to decide which dudes you are trying to kill. it's not exactly the best thing ever with no moral flaws but iunno why that'd be surprising.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Hahaha oh god. I can't think of a worse way to phrase that without being openly hostile.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/782967078424875008

Looks like I'm voting *rolls dice* Prohibition Party

This is actually a pretty fascinating article that gives an in-depth look into the whole counter-terrorism process under Obama, despite Greenwald's silly headline for it. It's definitely worth a read.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

How would you prefer me to phrase it? Politicians in 2016 tend to be either very loud or very quiet about their faith, and both Hillary and Kaine are on the latter end of the spectrum.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean to imply people who cause self harm are weak and can't handle things is beyond contemptible.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So the GOP finally has gone after Kaine:
https://twitter.com/seanspicer/status/782962623222603776

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I do not think this will work out for them.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How would you prefer me to phrase it? Politicians in 2016 tend to be either very loud or very quiet about their faith, and both Hillary and Kaine are on the latter end of the spectrum.

That's not really true. Obama talks about religion a lot; Hillary and Kaine do too.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Keep on crashing and burning trump. :getin:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- The Puppies Assisting Wounded Veterans (PAWS) Act to cover therapy dogs and guide dogs for disabled vets.

I'm so cynical that I had to look up that this was really what it said it was and not some GOP horror initiative where cute puppies get fed into tax-funded wod chippers.

The nickname is tasteless, but holding a weekly conference to identify terrorists that need to be drone-striked seems to be working as intended as long as the US is going to drone-strike people in the first place.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I guess that's better than "I like vets who don't kill themselves :smugdon: " or something, but gently caress...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's not really true. Obama talks about religion a lot; Hillary and Kaine do too.

They just do it in a way that doesn't set off the turbo-religious sensor the way the hypocrites who pray loudly in public at all times do.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Honestly, I haven't heard a peep from Hillary about it this entire cycle. Am I listening in the wrong places?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

He didn't let them kill people. Get him!

They do realize Horton was actually released, right?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Honestly, I haven't heard a peep from Hillary about it this entire cycle. Am I listening in the wrong places?

She literally mentioned it in her acceptance speech, and her creed of "do all the good you can, for as long as you can" is pulled word for word from John Wesley.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Its being religious without shoving it down peoples throats on how holy you are. Which is, ya know, how Jesus told you to worship.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Honestly I find the ethics of drone strikes fascinating and I still haven't reached a resolution on them yet

On the surface, the government being able to kill militants via a remote controlled device anywhere on earth is terrifying in the implications of its overreach. On the other hand, these operations would have otherwise been carried out by larger missiles or ground forces which have a much higher chance for human error in terms of casualties. We could always just not kill terrorist leaders at all, but I am not sure that's the best outcome either.

I guess the question I wrestle with is, if a drone is the best way of carrying out a dirty action that is wholly necessary, how do we respond to the ethics of that?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I guess that's better than "I like vets who don't kill themselves :smugdon: " or something, but gently caress...

Calling people with a mental illness "weak" is pretty reprehensible imo

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

perhaps you mistook my post for an endorsement

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm so cynical that I had to look up that this was really what it said it was and not some GOP horror initiative where cute puppies get fed into tax-funded wod chippers.

The nickname is tasteless, but holding a weekly conference to identify terrorists that need to be drone-striked seems to be working as intended as long as the US is going to drone-strike people in the first place.

The terror tuesdays meetings aren't even about drone strikes, it seems like. From the context it seems clear that it's a general terrorism/security briefing:

quote:

Mr. Obama is a good poker player, but he has a tell when he is angry. His questions become rapid-fire, said his attorney general, Mr. Holder. “He’ll inject the phrase, ‘I just want to make sure you understand that.’ “ And it was clear to everyone, Mr. Holder said, that he was simmering about how a 23-year-old bomber had penetrated billions of dollars worth of American security measures.

When a few officials tentatively offered a defense, noting that the attack had failed because the terrorists were forced to rely on a novice bomber and an untested formula because of stepped-up airport security, Mr. Obama cut them short.

“Well, he could have gotten it right and we’d all be sitting here with an airplane that blew up and killed over a hundred people,” he said, according to a participant. He asked them to use the close call to imagine in detail the consequences if the bomb had detonated. In characteristic fashion, he went around the room, asking each official to explain what had gone wrong and what needed to be done about it.

“After that, as president, it seemed like he felt in his gut the threat to the United States,” said Michael E. Leiter, then director of the National Counterterrorism Center. “Even John Brennan, someone who was already a hardened veteran of counterterrorism, tightened the straps on his rucksack after that.”

David Axelrod, the president’s closest political adviser, began showing up at the “Terror Tuesday” meetings, his unspeaking presence a visible reminder of what everyone understood: a successful attack would overwhelm the president’s other aspirations and achievements.

This is the only time the phrase is mentioned.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

90% of this ad is "Tim Kaine did his job as a lawyer" and the other 10% is "Tim Kaine opposes the death penalty". Like, sure, okay, I guess?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Dude it's just in your head. Just think about puppies and flowers and poo poo.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Calling people in the military "weak" goes a few steps beyond that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

Its being religious without shoving it down peoples throats on how holy you are. Which is, ya know, how Jesus told you to worship.

*pulls out bell curve graphic for thread*

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

:stare:

Holy poo poo.

Video plz...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

She really gets into to at local events at churches etc in particular.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

On Terra Firma posted:

Calling people in the military "weak" goes a few steps beyond that.

Yeah, well they're all gay or girls. What did you expect?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... he didn't say that. He couldn't have said that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
You know, if there's one group that can manage to find a way to make the VP Debate actually matter only to their detriment it's the Trump team.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_iNmLPEfhA

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

vyelkin posted:

90% of this ad is "Tim Kaine did his job as a lawyer" and the other 10% is "Tim Kaine opposes the death penalty". Like, sure, okay, I guess?

They've gone after Hillary for doing her job as a lawyer ("Hillary freed a child molester!") so this is keeping with their past tactics.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

This is literally that Hillary Veterans commercial.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dexo posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo.

Video plz...

https://twitter.com/anamariecox/status/782969915896717312

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yes, Republicans, please spend as much money and time as you like on attacking Tim Kaine. Go ahead. I'm sure you'll persuade both of the voters who care.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pakled posted:

They've gone after Hillary for doing her job as a lawyer ("Hillary freed a child molester!") so this is keeping with their past tactics.

I like where you're going with this...

The conservative bloc is in love with someone who literally can't do his stated job while loathing the ever living hell out of the woman who actually did do her job. Holy smokes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

:thurman:

That little emote's been gettin' a lotta work the last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

vyelkin posted:

Most Americans hate lawyers and love the death penalty.

• Locked thread