Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Was the guy playing chess with Turk supposed to be a stand in for Mister Fish? Glub glub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Fun" is anathema to MCU Netflix shows, unfortunately.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Rhyno posted:

She's supposed to be in Iron Fist (she's a gender swapped version of an existing IF character) but she's not listed on IMDB yet.

I've also been told (by white people) that I'm too white to really enjoy Luke Cage.

Luckily anyone with an internet connection can watch Luke Cage :)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just finished ep 1, a decent hook, good music, Colter's still a badass, oh and

Rhyno posted:

I'm only just starting on LC but holy crap, Simone Missick (Misty Knight) is so goddamned beautiful.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The scene at the end of episode 2 reminded me of some of the best acting from Cranston's Walter White.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Luke Cage episode 8

You have to love anyone who is getting that much of a kick out of being a total evil shitbag.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm halfway through episode 1 of Cage and say what did this street vendor actually name drop "Tony Stark"? And then arms dealers acknowledging Justin Hammer existing? My God what mad world have I stepped into where a Marvel Netflix show is allowing references to the MCU with anything other than vague "flag-waver" style allusions?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

TwoPair posted:

I'm halfway through episode 1 of Cage and say what did this street vendor actually name drop "Tony Stark"? And then arms dealers acknowledging Justin Hammer existing? My God what mad world have I stepped into where a Marvel Netflix show is allowing references to the MCU with anything other than vague "flag-waver" style allusions?

Considering the rest of the things the street vendor said was "blonde due with the hammer, old guy with the shield, and big green monster", I'd say we are still in the old world, especially since magic hammer gets used like 2-3 more times for some inexplicable reason.

The show was pretty great. It has some "stick out like a sore thumb" moments if you try to view it as part of the MCU, but as its own show, it was super enjoyable.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Curious: Did you actually watch the Jessica Jones episode where she used flag waver or just see it on YouTube? Because if you did, particularly if you watched the entire series, you'd know that Jessica pretty much hates heroes. She even hated her own hero name and costume.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Curious: Did you actually watch the Jessica Jones episode where she used flag waver or just see it on YouTube? Because if you did, particularly if you watched the entire series, you'd know that Jessica pretty much hates heroes. She even hated her own hero name and costume.

Yes I watched it, but I still feel the dialogue was incredibly unnatural and forced.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I really liked Luke Cage. Probably not as much as any of the other Netflix seasons so far, but still good. There's something so unapologetic about it that draws me into it. The way it's able to use both the mini Netflix universe they've crafted as well as the MCU at large makes the world feel connected in that way I'm always whining about. It's definitely corny in some areas, but that helps it in my case. It's not ashamed of being silly or using the phrase Power Man or what have you.

I didn't really expect it, but I'm still pretty sad Jessica didn't appear. I want to praise Cottonmouth, because he was written in the way that the best heels are. He has a point, but he's still very obviously the villain. He's not just an evil for evil's sake guy though. I do believe that he wants to help Harlem and all that, but the way he's going about it is why he needs to be stopped. I'm actually pretty disappointed that Diamondback got the focus at the end. He was way weaker.

Good stuff all around.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

As soon as the name Justin hammer was said i was hoping for a scene where someone tried to use the guns and they backfired. Only through ep3 but i think i will be disappointed :(

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

I really liked Luke Cage. Probably not as much as any of the other Netflix seasons so far, but still good. There's something so unapologetic about it that draws me into it. The way it's able to use both the mini Netflix universe they've crafted as well as the MCU at large makes the world feel connected in that way I'm always whining about. It's definitely corny in some areas, but that helps it in my case. It's not ashamed of being silly or using the phrase Power Man or what have you.

I didn't really expect it, but I'm still pretty sad Jessica didn't appear. I want to praise Cottonmouth, because he was written in the way that the best heels are. He has a point, but he's still very obviously the villain. He's not just an evil for evil's sake guy though. I do believe that he wants to help Harlem and all that, but the way he's going about it is why he needs to be stopped. I'm actually pretty disappointed that Diamondback got the focus at the end. He was way weaker.

Good stuff all around.

Reaction to your spoiler:

My train of thought on Jessica appearing is it is pretty hard to tell Jessica's origin and overall story without including Luke Cage, but Cage's origin and overall story can definitely be told without Jessica to a certain point

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

notthegoatseguy posted:

Then she would especially use "Steve Rogers" or "Tony Stark".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Reaction to your spoiler:

My train of thought on Jessica appearing is it is pretty hard to tell Jessica's origin and overall story without including Luke Cage, but Cage's origin and overall story can definitely be told without Jessica to a certain point

Also
Given what happened to him the last time he hung out with Jessica Jones, it's very understandable he needs his space. Also I didn't realize Claire Temple was a Luke Cage character originally, I thought it was a name they just made up when they couldn't use Night Nurse (Linda Carter)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Also
Given what happened to him the last time he hung out with Jessica Jones, it's very understandable he needs his space. Also I didn't realize Claire Temple was a Luke Cage character originally, I thought it was a name they just made up when they couldn't use Night Nurse (Linda Carter)

They call her Night Nurse in this anyway. :D

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

They call her Night Nurse in this anyway. :D

Nice, I missed that line.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I can't decide if it was cute or too on the nose the multiple times Luke Cage said "I'm not for hire."

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I can't decide if it was cute or too on the nose the multiple times Luke Cage said "I'm not for hire."

It got kind of annoying for me. "Get it guys?! It's referencing that thing he's known for! In the comics! But he's doing the opposite thing here! REFERENCES GUYS!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's been making the rounds on twitter, and this "Luke Cage is a black conservative" hot take needs to gently caress right off, right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

It got kind of annoying for me. "Get it guys?! It's referencing that thing he's known for! In the comics! But he's doing the opposite thing here! REFERENCES GUYS!"

SHIELD must be like a boiling acid bath for you.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
SHIELD is different. It's more like "Because of the Sokovia accords now we must X" or "This technology may be Asgardian, the realm from which Thor is from", very straightforward, not really tongue in cheek or winking at the camera compared to "The superlative man" or "I got video of that guy with the hammer and the big green dude".

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Skwirl posted:

Also

Last she saw him, he was possibly dead. She could've at least called, that's rude.

Lurdiak posted:

It's been making the rounds on twitter, and this "Luke Cage is a black conservative" hot take needs to gently caress right off, right now.

What other choice did I have but to look into this and become disappointed? What have I done to you?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I like the ultra tongue in cheek cheesy blaxsploitation aspect of Luke Cage. I'm only about a quarter of the way through it right now though.

I rolled my eyes and chuckled at:

"Where you going?"

"To check these fools."

After talking with the chess player.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Agreed.

There's so many thing wrong with it I don't even know where to start.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Because he has a job and doesn't take handouts like "Democrats", is that the whole gist?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
At the very least, the show definitely presents black-on-black crime as being a bigger problem than systemic racism.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Luke definitely dabbles in "What about Black on Black crime", and Respectability politics.

Like calling him a conservative isn't exactly incorrect. However conservatism and this country are tied to what is now a mostly racist party.

Like a bunch of Black people especially of the older variety are conservative as all hell. They aren't going to vote for the GOP because they are racist as poo poo. But as someone who frequently has arguments within my own family about politics and poo poo I'm not really shocked.

I think most people are going way too far in that analysis in an attempt for sparking outrage though.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

At the very least, the show definitely presents black-on-black crime as being a bigger problem than systemic racism.

No it doesn't. The entire imagery of Luke being in the hoodie being shot at, when he is handcuffed, when the police run around assaulting black kids, when they militarize the cops, addressing housing inequality and gentrification, and when the mother literally calls out that one Dept head, she says something like "even though you're black, you're still blue" are all comments/allusions to systematic racism. Even the tagline "America is ready for a bulletproof black man" is a comment on that.

There are also plenty crime bosses shown of various ethnicities. And they focused on Cottonmouth/Diamondback I assume because they're known comic characters and it's only been one season focusing on his origin. Just because systematic racism wasn't his main enemy, doesn't mean it wasn't always there and being addressed.

I'm seriously wondering if this poo poo is just too subtle for a lot white people.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 3, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Though I guess I should make it clear I've only seen the first 3 episodes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Koalas March posted:

No it doesn't. The entire imagery of Luke being in the hoodie being shot at, when he is handcuffed, when the police run around assaulting black kids, when they militarize the cops, addressing housing inequality and gentrification, and when the mother literally calls out that one Dept head, she says something like "even though you're black, you're still blue" are all comments/allusions to systematic racism. Even the tagline "America is ready for a bulletproof black man" is a comment on that.

There are also plenty crime bosses shown of various ethnicities. And they focused on Cottonmouth/Diamondback I assume because they're known comic characters and it's only been one season focusing on his origin. Just because systematic racism wasn't his main enemy, doesn't mean it wasn't always there and being addressed.

I'm seriously wondering if this poo poo is just too subtle for a lot white people.

I assume they focused on Cottonmouth because Mahershala Ali had more charisma than the rest of the cast put together.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Dexo posted:

Though I guess I should make it clear I've only seen the first 3 episodes.

You weren't totally off base. That's why Pop called him "Fox News" but institutional racism is definitely part of the show. It's also good to remember that Luke is a preacher's son from Georgia so I think that influences him/his character a lot.

I mean the dude even was incarcerated for a crime he didn't commit, got targeted by a racist CO, and was put through experiments that echoed Tuskegee

In my opinion we got stuff on every side of the spectrum and each character had their own voice/opinions/ethics even the minor ones.

I think they did a good job touching on everything seamlessly with what little time they had. I'm curious how they'll expand of they get a second season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I still have a couple of episodes to go so I don't know how things shake out when it finishes, but I imagine they're aiming to go into Power Man and Iron Fist or full Heroes for Hire rather than second seasons.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The show is very balanced but if someone goes looking for it to be conservative by turning their blinders on, they will see it that way, but that also shouldn't be surprising.

Aphrodite posted:

SHIELD must be like a boiling acid bath for you.

At times. Cage was really bad about this though.

I mean, I am from NYC. We have no issues calling people by name, especially when they are famous. We don't just call people by descriptors. So it's weird to consistently see people on these Netflix shows refuse to say celebrity superhero's names. Especially the young guy selling the blu-rays. We certainly don't go out of our way to lengthen someone's name by not using it and describing them instead. That's one thing about these series that seems very disingenuous to NYC.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

I mean, I am from NYC. We have no issues calling people by name, especially when they are famous. We don't just call people by descriptors. So it's weird to consistently see people on these Netflix shows refuse to say celebrity superhero's names. Especially the young guy selling the blu-rays. We certainly don't go out of our way to lengthen someone's name by not using it and describing them instead. That's one thing about these series that seems very disingenuous to NYC.

This is not an NYC thing it is a human thing. Nobody anywhere does that, except in Hogwarts when talking about "You Know Who".

Like I get we are agreeing but I don't think the intention was or anyone implied that this is something specific to NYC culture, people keep saying it's weird because it is super weird and clumsy to do.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Aphrodite posted:

I still have a couple of episodes to go so I don't know how things shake out when it finishes, but I imagine they're aiming to go into Power Man and Iron Fist or full Heroes for Hire rather than second seasons.

That actually makes sense, but I would like to see how Iron Fist finishes first. No spoilers, but Luke Cage leaves quite a number of strands that could be picked up for a Season 2.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
That cameo appearance late in the show, when Cage stops a robbery and meets Method Man, was very "Scooby Doo."

I don't mind it, but I can't decide whether I'm disappointed or not that Method Man didn't stick around for the rest of the episode to help solve a mystery.

Koalas March posted:

I'm almost positive it is, yeah.

I'm a white kid from the suburbs of Chicago and will pretend to no knowledge otherwise, and I could tell there was a lot going on in this show textually and otherwise that I didn't catch onto.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

We're getting Iron Fist and The Defenders plus on various levels of likelihood JJ season 2, DD season 2 and Punisher season 1 before we get another season of Luke Cage, though I bet The Defenders will address at least a couple of the dangling strands left at the end of this season.

Having finished Luke Cage I'm more certain than ever Claire Temple is going to be to The Defenders what Nick Fury was to The Avengers.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Aphrodite posted:

At last we get a superhero show with an interracial gay couple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

This is not an NYC thing it is a human thing. Nobody anywhere does that, except in Hogwarts when talking about "You Know Who".

Like I get we are agreeing but I don't think the intention was or anyone implied that this is something specific to NYC culture, people keep saying it's weird because it is super weird and clumsy to do.

I didn't want to make a sweeping generalization about people in places I never lived in, so I limited it to what I know. Not knowing where the people who write these shows are from, I didn't want to make a statement that would have people chiming in and going "where I'm from people totally come up with weird elongated nick names for popular people and things!" But it seems like I was screwed no matter what.

I also brought up NYC specifically because I am constantly told we talk fast, we walk fast, we're always in a rush, so it's funny for me to see these characters go out of their way to speak clumsily about things as big as the Avengers.

My big disappointment for this show was no mention of the Incredible Hulk film, whose climactic battle took place in Harlem. :(