Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Spermgod posted:

they still having the PC guys work each other on the undercards while the indie superstars work each other in the main events?

Well Riddick Moss just broke Itami at a house show, so maybe they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Phone posting so I can't embed the tweet but Ho Ho Lun and Bin Wang are in the Dusty Classic. Seems a bit early for Bin Wang to be on TV but whatever.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Spermgod posted:

they still having the PC guys work each other on the undercards while the indie superstars work each other in the main events?

Only sorta. They split up the roster for Florida house shows more (plus they tour a lot now) so it's way different from a year ago when you could see Finn Balor, Bayley, and Joe on the same card of a $10 show in a gym. The Largo show last night got Itami and Nakamura but the next biggest names on the card were Tye Dillinger, Liv Morgan, and Ember Moon. Even the bigger names are wrestling lower-card TV guys and PC talent

That said, Oney Lorcan vs Patrick Clark was really fun and Buddy Murphy is the best comedy jobber in WWE now

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Baron Corbyn posted:

Phone posting so I can't embed the tweet but Ho Ho Lun and Bin Wang are in the Dusty Classic. Seems a bit early for Bin Wang to be on TV but whatever.

https://twitter.com/WWENXT/status/782589155255656448

Everybody Wang Lun tonight!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Are they doing Dusty Classic elimination matches at house shows like last year or are they all going to be televised

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I really hope the full thing is televised otherwise what's the point of creating new teams for it just to have them lose to a live audience and no one else?

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
I wonder if they'll bring in any "outside" teams like how they introduced Ciampa and Gargano. The closest we have is Kota Ibushi, but that's stretching it.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Have they announced the Bollywood Boyz yet because they're kind of an outside team

ps don't read up on Takeover Toronto on Wikipedia if you don't want spoilers,, they've apparently already taped some of the tournament matches

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
they should bring in Team Tremendous

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Dr. rear end posted:

Have they announced the Bollywood Boyz yet because they're kind of an outside team
https://twitter.com/WWENXT/status/781889014701944832

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

go get 'em gurv

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

When did Aries announce that he'd be in the DustyClassic with a mystery partner?
http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/article/2016-dusty-rhodes-tag-team-classic-teams-revealed?sf37659766=1

And what are the chances his partner turns out to be a certain messiah of the backbreaker?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/Windupsoup/status/782982316411019264

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Germansimp posted:

When did Aries announce that he'd be in the DustyClassic with a mystery partner?
http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/article/2016-dusty-rhodes-tag-team-classic-teams-revealed?sf37659766=1

And what are the chances his partner turns out to be a certain messiah of the backbreaker?

chances are good

I'm glad ali's horrific concussion from aaw last month hasn't impeded his come-up!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Generation Next baby!!!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SCsirens/status/783037837440528384

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I love Sobremordida Dorada

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe this year's Dusty will be used to put over an actual tag team or at least some up and coming talent.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

rovert posted:

What athletic background does Nikki Storm have?

lol jesus christ

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe this year's Dusty will be used to put over an actual tag team or at least some up and coming talent.

Last years basically made American Alpha and The Revival so I'm not too concerned

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Super No Vacancy posted:

chances are good

I'm glad ali's horrific concussion from aaw last month hasn't impeded his come-up!

I watched him defend his Freelance Wrestling title on Friday. The guy seems fine and still putting on great shows in the Chicago area.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what is an 'actual tag team' in the performance center era except a couple guys the office put together and ordered matching gear for

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I mean... isn't that the case for most tag teams? Two people thrown together and having matching gear most of the time?

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

AMReese posted:

I mean... isn't that the case for most tag teams? Two people thrown together and having matching gear most of the time?

His point is that for years tag teams were actual teams that would be together for years and years and would actually work together and use teamwork, not just two singles wrestlers who do tag matches as a vehicle to get one of them over which has been the wwe way for years now

Edit: I think, anyways

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I meant more that at the beginning they were just two wrestlers thrown together with usually matching gear. I don't know of many that entered the business as a tag team outside of maybe childhood friends like Edge and Christian and siblings like the Hardys.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in the territory days, wrestlers would walk into the locker room and pee into a glass for the sake of the promoter's unconventional partiality. if the promoter noticed that two pees were exactly the same color, those fellers became a tagging team pretty quick. And given that change wasn't thought of too favorably, it usually stuck

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/_StarDESTROYER/status/783383840601571328

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Eh, I'm not feeling these teams of thrown together CWC guys. The whole thing feels a little half assed. Was there no established indie team who could come in and add a little prestige? I'd honestly much prefer to see a main roster team like AA/The Club/The Usos go down to Full Sail to put the tournament (and DIY/Revival) over as a big deal than see Gulak/Nese or Ali/Dorado coming in as teams that are pretty much guaranteed to go out in round 1.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Baron Corbyn posted:

Eh, I'm not feeling these teams of thrown together CWC guys. The whole thing feels a little half assed. Was there no established indie team who could come in and add a little prestige? I'd honestly much prefer to see a main roster team like AA/The Club/The Usos go down to Full Sail to put the tournament (and DIY/Revival) over as a big deal than see Gulak/Nese or Ali/Dorado coming in as teams that are pretty much guaranteed to go out in round 1.

Well 6 of the 16 teams are established tag teams, who will all probably end up winning their match and ending up being 6 of the 8 2nd round teams. Hell, a lot of those 1st round matches won't even be on TV.

As for prestige, I can't think of any established indie tag teams that aren't signed to a restricted deal that could come in and be a bigger deal. I mean I am sure there are talented tag teams out there, but if the main nxt crowd hasn't heard of them, then they don't add any prestige.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

Well 6 of the 16 teams are established tag teams, who will all probably end up winning their match and ending up being 6 of the 8 2nd round teams. Hell, a lot of those 1st round matches won't even be on TV.

As for prestige, I can't think of any established indie tag teams that aren't signed to a restricted deal that could come in and be a bigger deal. I mean I am sure there are talented tag teams out there, but if the main nxt crowd hasn't heard of them, then they don't add any prestige.

Which 6? I count Authors of Pain, Revival, TM61, DIY and Bollywood Boys, and I don't see The Bollywood Boys getting to round 2.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Well I counted Sanity as an established tag team, which they kind of are, they aren't guys thrown together. Yeah Bollywood Boys may not make it to round 2. I'd prefer they use the tournament to build a star tag team, but they DID give the 2015 win to a thrown together team, putting over the Mechanics/Revival along the way.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Were I booking this I'd take some of the thrown together teams, like Tye / Roode and Cedric / Almas, and have them lose to new tag teams as part of angles for the former and heat building for the latter. I'd use the high card singles teams like Nakamura / Itami to knock out the more well-established teams (say, Authors of Pain) in close bouts to keep the losers strong.

But I would mark either TM61 or Authors of Pain to win it all, someone who's not in title contention but will be in the next cycle.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

shouldve included the hooligans

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I hope the revival win

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Roddy's gonna show up and kill everyone or I'll be sad

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

Well I counted Sanity as an established tag team, which they kind of are, they aren't guys thrown together. Yeah Bollywood Boys may not make it to round 2. I'd prefer they use the tournament to build a star tag team, but they DID give the 2015 win to a thrown together team, putting over the Mechanics/Revival along the way.

I don't mind teams made up of two singles big names like Joe/Balor or Itami/Ibushi being in. It makes the tournament look like a big deal. Teams like Dorado/Ali just look like they're trying to make up the numbers.

I didn't realise Sanity had been announced, so yeah, I'd count them because at least they're presented as a tag team and will be going forward.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 5, 2016

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/TheFrayMovement/status/783625107445059584

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Wrestling today needs more carny in the mix IMO and ZZ is still young enough to have a full career post-developmental. I have no idea about that school but if he's still passionate about pro wrestling, that is the right path to go.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I want Roode and Dillinger's run at this tournament to lead to a singles feud where Tye goes over and moves toward a long push toward an NXT title win. I don't care if he's old, DDP was old and he became on of the biggest stars in wrestling. People keep saying that Roode/Nakamura isn't really a match anyone cares to see, so use Roode to get over somebody who could actually benefit from the win, and invest in making a sort-of NXT guy the focus on NXT again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

It would be a neat success story after all of those years being squandered before in developmental and the indies.

• Locked thread