Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

PaybackJack posted:

I love that the actor who played Diamondback was Dunn Purnsley in Boardwalk Empire because he brought that cruelty and sadism with him to this role and it worked well.

I thought it was funny given that actor's previous role when it cut to him immediately after someone mentioned that the club had secret exits because it used to be owned by Lucky Luciano,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Man, I can't get over how good the soundtrack to this show was. I mean, the show itself was pretty good, especially Shades, who I think had a more interesting personality than any one else- But holy poo poo that soundtrack. The soundtrack and Harlem itself were the stars of Luke Cage and it was pretty loving well directed. The dialog had some weak parts, and some of the side characters seemed to be "Angry Gang Member #1" and "Angry Gang Member #2," but even the weak parts were still pretty good.

Serf
May 5, 2011

My only issue with this show (which was fantastic from start to finish imo) is that they totally wasted Mahershala Ali only 7 episodes in. He is one of my favorite actors, and he was killing it as Cottonmouth. I hate that they killed him off in his best episode, where we see how he and Mariah came up. I loved Erik LaRay Harvey as Diamondback and thought he was a great villain, but they should've saved him for season 2. Cottonmouth wasn't as much of a problem as he should've been imo, but every time Ali was onscreen I was absolutely into it. I liked his death scene, and seeing Mariah rise up to take his place because it was a great bait-and-switch, but I wish he could've gotten the Kingpin/Diamondback treatment because he is such a joy to watch.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished the series today. I'd rank it #2, between Jessica Jones and DD season 2 (beyond Jon Bernthal, I think Vincent D'Onofrio was also used well enough that year to make up for the tired ninja bullshit). I thought the MCU stuff was integrated a little better than the other series, but I was genuinely surprised Jessica didn't show up at all, after Luke appeared in half of her show's episodes. I guess I was expecting some sort of reciprocity. I imagine part of the Defenders will be about reconciling what Luke learned about Reva with why Kilgrave wanted Jessica to kill her.

Claire was really well used, and I like her arc of realizing her potential as a superhuman doctor, but I kind of liked her and Luke more as friends. That said, if this leads to more "Luke's injured; that means body horror!" scenes I'm all for it.

Being an uncultured whitey, I wasn't able to pick up on much of the blaxploitation homages, but the music was used super well for building tension throughout.

AngryBooch posted:

Hammer Industries is actually producing tech that works with Justin behind bars I guess. Diamondback is a terrible goddamn shot though.

I prefer to think that, like Turk, Justin got back out on the street immediately and is putting his experience to good use (and is also dancing in his free time.)

Koalas March posted:

I think it's actually super interesting. Especially when you add the racial dynamic. He is basically black superman without the flying/lasers which makes him human and more relatable.

I think this is something I picked up on. The scenes toward the end of the season where Luke accepts being triple-cuffed, knowing it's useless reminded me of Man of Steel, where Luke's/Clark's actions were more done to reassure people than to actually accept any restriction on himself.

Gaz-L posted:

Well, Diamondback's supplier seems to be tied to Justin Hammer, and remember that MCU Justin Hammer is Sam Rockwell as a wannabe Tony Stark, so I totally buy that he or his company gave a sci-fi high-ex round a silly name like that

He does have a proprietary missile named the Ex-Wife.

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 3, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

This "Luke Cage is a black conservative" hot take needs to gently caress right off.

What's wrong with it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What's wrong with it?

It relies on out of context interpretations of specific scenes and ignoring the really really really overt themes of the show.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Finally finished it. I really loved how every bad guy was constantly trying to come up ahead, only to self-sabotage themselves at a later time, and if it wasn't themselves, it was their henchmen trying to do poo poo they shouldn't Except for Shades, he was like the one rock of competence in the entire criminal Harlem underworld.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
LOL just realised there's only one (1) episode of this show helmed by a black director. like good god.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Kal-L posted:

Finally finished it. I really loved how every bad guy was constantly trying to come up ahead, only to self-sabotage themselves at a later time, and if it wasn't themselves, it was their henchmen trying to do poo poo they shouldn't Except for Shades, he was like the one rock of competence in the entire criminal Harlem underworld.

The thing I really like about Shades is that he never comes off as a guy who really wants to be The Man In Charge. He strikes me as a guy who is a good Number Two and fully aware of it. When he questions his bosses, he isn't trying to undermine them-- it's because he actually wants them to succeed and he feels like they're screwing themselves (and by extension, him). The whole series, he seems like a guy trying to find the right horse to back, and he finds it in Mariah.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What's wrong with it?

It also enshrines the idea that conservatives have a monopoly on manners and acting classy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Serious question: what's the point of Cage not liking being called "nigga" in the opening/closing to episode 2? Is this part of the conservative argument?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

It relies on out of context interpretations of specific scenes and ignoring the really really really overt themes of the show.

Please be more specific, I don't know why people insist on being so vague about the show's themes and messages.

The source of contention seems to be people like Justin Charity criticising the show for being conservative. So it seems like some partisan nonsense (though some of Charity's points about the shows political muteness are valid).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 3, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Escobarbarian posted:

Serious question: what's the point of Cage not liking being called "nigga" in the opening/closing to episode 2? Is this part of the conservative argument?

It's a point of contrast between him and Cottonmouth. Cottonmouth uses that word all the time to describe himself and people, and at one point explains that it's what arrogant while people expect so they underestimate him. Luke Cage doesn't want to be underestimated, he wants to be treated with respect like anyone else.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

It's a point of contrast between him and Cottonmouth. Cottonmouth uses that word all the time to describe himself and people, and at one point explains that it's what arrogant while people expect so they underestimate him. Luke Cage doesn't want to be underestimated, he wants to be treated with respect like anyone else.

Ah ok, thanks for the info.

On episode 3 and the musical sequences are my favourite part so far.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Escobarbarian posted:

Ah ok, thanks for the info.

On episode 3 and the musical sequences are my favourite part so far.

More to the point, it's one of those things that has a lot of history for black people in this country and remains controversial. I'm not black so I'm not going to try to explain further, but it's part of the subtext intended firmly for black viewers.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Luke definitely has some conservative attitudes--he's a military veteran and an ex-cop who's a preacher's son from the south.

The show calls him out on it pretty quickly though. Pop hits him with that "Alright, Fox News" after Luke says something like "he was a criminal and he died a criminal."

But I'd say that his arc takes him away from that. His early reluctance to be a hero comes from the idea that it's ok for everyone to just look out for #1, that not only his but life society can function and improve purely through self interest--by the time he's actually going out and willing to make a difference in the world it's hard to miss that he picks a hoodie as his costume.

He's also less eager to use violence as a first resort against the people he fights (especially, say, Daredevil). Luke always tries to set up the parlay or give people the chance to walk away.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Correct me if I am wrong, but the magic bullets 2.0 were not suppose to be as powerful as the ones that pierced his skin and put a hurt on him. Diamondback even says that they are not as strong, but with many cops/people shooting him it should be enough.

I would have liked to see a scene where he gets hit with a 2.0 and it shows that it actually does hurt him, but does not put him on the ground. Maybe show that they bruise him up or make him bleed like a blunt force hit like the shotgun in JJ did.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We did see that Diamondback's hammer suit was strong enough to make him cough up blood, right?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Glad I'm not the only person who wasn't a fan of the Luke/Claire romance. Hope the tv and movie divisions can improve communications.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope Claire sleeps with all the Defenders

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope Claire sleeps with all the Defenders

I'm half-convinced the only reason she doesn't make out with Jessica Jones is that she and Ritter only shared like 30 seconds of screen time.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope Claire sleeps with all the Defenders*

*Soon to be renamed to Claire's Angels

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This has been a minor issue for all of the Netflix series I've seen so far, granted, but none of the series manage to keep the intense sexual tension between two guys going like they can with a guy and a girl having a conversation. It's really weird. I hope they can fix that in Iron Fist, so I don't have to wait for Namor to get his own series for that to happen.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

This has been a minor issue for all of the Netflix series I've seen so far, granted, but none of the series manage to keep the intense sexual tension between two guys going like they can with a guy and a girl having a conversation. It's really weird. I hope they can fix that in Iron Fist, so I don't have to wait for Namor to get his own series for that to happen.

Wait. Namor is gay? When did that happen? Were all his protestations of love to Sue just closeted denial and Reed was who he wanted all along?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

flosofl posted:

Wait. Namor is gay? When did that happen? Were all his protestations of love to Sue just closeted denial and Reed was who he wanted all along?

Namor will sleep with anyone and anything.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

flosofl posted:

Honestly, I don't know anything about Namor aside from he's buff and Marvel's Aquaman who dresses about as conservatively as Zangief. Since he's pretty much always near-naked, I expected sexual tension to just materialize with him no matter who he's talking to.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

Honestly, I don't know anything about Namor aside from he's buff and Marvel's Aquaman who dresses about as conservatively as Zangief. Since he's pretty much always near-naked, I expected sexual tension to just materialize with him no matter who he's talking to.

It's not fair to compare Namor to Aquaman, Namor isn't a joke character.

edit: Aquaman talks to fish, Namor beats nazis to death with a shark.

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 3, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's not fair to compare Namor to Aquaman, Namor isn't a joke character.

He's the water superhero, they're basically the same-ish thing.

Like Flash and Quicksilver.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gaz-L posted:

I'm half-convinced the only reason she doesn't make out with Jessica Jones is that she and Ritter only shared like 30 seconds of screen time.

I was rooting for Claire/Misty Knight. :v:

Oh who am I kidding, like we'll ever see a queer superhero in a major role (and no, Harley Quinn does not loving count).

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Cythereal posted:

I was rooting for Claire/Misty Knight. :v:

Oh who am I kidding, like we'll ever see a queer superhero in a major role (and no, Harley Quinn does not loving count).

We'll see a non-straight superhero after a few years of Internet browbeating, and it will be terrible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HIJK posted:

We'll see a non-straight superhero after a few years of Internet browbeating, and it will be terrible.

It's why I've always rolled my eyes at anyone suggesting a movie/Netflix adaptation of The Authority. I think it could be very good, but I don't think it would fly with the Hollywood types.

As it stands in the tv series so far, we've got Cottonmouth who may be bisexual, and Jeri Hogarth who is... not a paragon of morality and good behavior.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Cottonmouth might be bisexual? They had a gay inhuman in season 3 of agents of shield but he disappeared near the end of the season.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Where are people getting that Cottonmouth may be bisexual?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I definitely remember thinking that at one point while I was watching, but I can't remember why

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Where are people getting that Cottonmouth may be bisexual?

People found themselves attracted to him when they were watching the series.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh I also want to go ahead and say that Zip (I think was his name) was hilarious. Dude kept trying to move up in the world and copy whoever he "replaced". C'mon, man work on your own thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I definitely remember thinking that at one point while I was watching, but I can't remember why

Someone in this thread mentioned that Cottonmouth had a male prostitute in the flashback chapter. I didn't see it, but took it that I overlooked it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh I also want to go ahead and say that Zip (I think was his name) was hilarious. Dude kept trying to move up in the world and copy whoever he "replaced". C'mon, man work on your own thing.

He found his own thing by the end, with people telling him Romeo would be ashamed of him.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
This show was good, Best moments: ya'll niggas off the hook, I'm going back to Hell's Kitchen where it's safe.

E12 or 13: Method Man: it's you! Luke: no........it's YOU!

worst moments: Diamondback's theme in the episode where they were holding hostages in Harlem's Paradise. Like holy poo poo it kept switching from the Luke/Misty dramatic theme to his goofy theme I kept forgetting for like half a second every time the scene switched to him that this wasn't a comedy and he wasn't about to have some Rob Schneider style blunder. otherwise great music all around.

Other thoughts: I know this is probably a minority opinion in this thread but I'm kind of getting a little bored of Claire's character in everything, seems like she just keeps getting shoehorned into every MNFU series now, and I wasn't a fan of the Luke/Claire thing, I thought Luke and Misty had much better..........rapport, I know she's getting set up to get together with iron fist or whatever, but by that logic cage should be with Jones and he apparently isn't. I don't really have a problem with her I just wish they would stick her to 1 show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What I like about Claire is that she's now enthusiastic about superhero stuff. Everybody else is all reluctant and brooding, she's just totally driven and excited to be involved with superheroics.