Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

gently caress old people

no thanks

October 3 1990 - East & West Germany united

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

quote:

Not so much tourists, as rich chinese living in polluted cities.

Dear God the planet Earth has moved past political satire and right into comic farce.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That happened when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Gonzo McFee posted:

They're doing the only thing they can. They've been tasked with selling a goblet full of poo poo and they have to try to tell everyone it's chocolate pudding.

Plus the majority of people wanted Brexit. When the Tories deliver it they'll get a boost in the polls they'll stay high when the massive falls start happening until people realise that things aren't coming back.

Ah - yes. March 2017.. dooby do - March 2019 it happens. Glorious future for us all, Tories ride the wave of success through June 2020 and into the future. Everything else is a distraction, the next election will be won or lost by how the tories handle brexit. Labour could be fielding a mouldy spud in a sock for all the difference it will make compared to the one-year-on judgment of brexit. I bet they will go for 'Less immigrunts!' as their overarching measure of success for that campaign, and will have the papers happily reporting their figures that show 'Less Polish people came over this year!*'

* not counting those on temporary work visas which are given to farmers to allocate as required. 300,000 of them were issued. Minimum wage rules do not apply.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jose posted:

would firing an extremely large metal rod from space do more or less damage than nukes explosion wise?

Depends on both the rod, the firing mechanism, and the nuke, but in terms of magnitude of explosion you can probably get about the same from either, with the rods having the HUGE benefit (i mean, relative benefit) of not liberally spraying horribly poisonous and radioactive poo poo out into the atmosphere and countryside.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Unless they happen to land on some.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

i always wondered why the inanimate carbon rod was green and why nuclear stuff is always glowing green on tv not blue

When ATOMS became the next big thing in optimism and dread in the 30s (and especially through the 40s and 50s) most people's only exposure to any kind of radiation was fluoroscopes and luminous radium paint, both of which glow green or green/yellow. So comic books (and serious illustrations) almost always showed radiation as being glowing green.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Depends on both the rod, the firing mechanism, and the nuke, but in terms of magnitude of explosion you can probably get about the same from either, with the rods having the HUGE benefit (i mean, relative benefit) of not liberally spraying horribly poisonous and radioactive poo poo out into the atmosphere and countryside.

Eh, the most commonly-used material for kinetic-energy weapons is depleted uranium or tungsten, both of which are perfectly capable of seriously loving you up if you breathe them in without even a hint of radioactivity.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And it was the only thing most folks had ever seen that glowed that particular shade of green, even though that was entirely due to the zinc sulfide phosphor.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Eh, the most commonly-used material for kinetic-energy weapons is depleted uranium or tungsten, both of which are perfectly capable of seriously loving you up if you breathe them in without even a hint of radioactivity.

Yeah, that is the trouble with the majority of hyperdense materials.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

tooterfish posted:

Because it's a space station in LEO, not an interplanetary spacecraft?

Think of it this way: At the end of six months on the ISS (after which they'll have lost 6-12% of their bone density, no joke), crew return to Earth with all its incumbent benefits (like medical attention) and officially Take It Easy for quite a while. At the end of a six month voyage to Mars, the crew will be on loving Mars.

If you can lift enough propellant up, like spacex wants to do, you can cut the journey down to sub-100 days, then when you get to mars you have 40% or so of earth's gravity, and hopefully less damage, three month stay then another hop back- all in all around a year off Earth. We already have had people in space longer than that, and they didn't get a few months of 40% gravity while they were at it. It's much like the damage done by radiation on the same kind of trip- certainly harmful but not beyond what we know humans are already capable of managing. Humanity could have pulled off a mars trip in the 80's, we could do so a lot more safely now, and certainly when it's actually done in a few decades the risks will be lessened still.

Plus a year away from Earth?- gently caress my bone density and radiation safety levels and get me off this shithole planet so I can be the furthest person away from the daily loving mail.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably if you're wanting to do a fast transfer to mars you would need to wait for a window when they're fairly close, which means you might actually get further from the daily mail just breaking orbit with Earth and slowing down a bit so you eventually reach an antipodean orbit around the sun.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Presumably if you're wanting to do a fast transfer to mars you would need to wait for a window when they're fairly close, which means you might actually get further from the daily mail just breaking orbit with Earth and slowing down a bit so you eventually reach an antipodean orbit around the sun.

Can't we just send the Daily Mail to Mars?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

That's where Earth 2 is located, where everything is the opposite of Earth, except the Daily Mail is still bad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the Maley Dale, a magazine written by a guy named Dale about moustache grooming and lumberjacking.

I might also be wrong about transfer windows because I never bothered to learn that in KSP, I just eyeball it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 3, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

We can just move the entire UK into low earth orbit. Stop being negative, it's doable!

You are Graeme Garden and I claim my £5.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

It's the Maley Dale, a magazine written by a guy named Dale about moustache grooming and lumberjacking.

I might also be wrong about transfer windows because I never bothered to learn that in KSP, I just eyeball it.

get a snooker player to find the best route using all the planets for speed boosts on the way like in red dwarf. can't find a clip unfortunately

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

Sam Allardyce knows about getting around transfer windows, maybe you should ask him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

get a snooker player to find the best route using all the planets for speed boosts on the way like in red dwarf. can't find a clip unfortunately
About 21m in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKwDzwWtpHo

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

So what does everyone think about the new Red Dwarf? Apart from everyone getting too old for it I think it's a reasonable return to form after a few appallingly bad seasons.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

I wish they were still making good Red Dwarf.

namesake posted:

So what does everyone think about the new Red Dwarf? Apart from everyone getting too old for it I think it's a reasonable return to form after a few appallingly bad seasons.

It's better, maybe it will turn into Last of the Summer Wine in space and it will go on forever.

Danny John Jules is hilariously bitter about not becoming a huge star.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/proportional-representation-electoral-reform-ben-howlett-pr-make-vote-matter-a7341986.html

I've never heard of Ben Howlett. Any reason to rate his chances of shifting the Conservative stance on PR?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cerv posted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/proportional-representation-electoral-reform-ben-howlett-pr-make-vote-matter-a7341986.html

I've never heard of Ben Howlett. Any reason to rate his chances of shifting the Conservative stance on PR?

Not unless it actually improves conservative electoral chances.

Which it wouldn't.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Did they ever explain the end of season eight? Where the rest of the crew escape to another reality and Rimmer is left to run from Death himself? Because I feel like that got retconned.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Ben Howlett posted:

Ideologically, Conservatives don’t like reform of that sort of nature – they’re quite conservative by nature.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Alchenar posted:

We're getting to the point where people are mulling serious proposals for ISS-successor though, it'll be interesting to see whether we end up with another hacked together concept-testbed or whether something a bit more ambitious.

Read this as Isis, got quite confused (and alarmed)!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Did they ever explain the end of season eight? Where the rest of the crew escape to another reality and Rimmer is left to run from Death himself? Because I feel like that got retconned.

Didn't you see season nine? Best season ever, if you ask me.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

They started series 10 by pretending series 9 had happened and everything turned out alright. It was the only good joke from what I saw, I quit watching half way through.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ultrabindu posted:

Danny John Jules is hilariously bitter about not becoming a huge star.

I know a guy who grew up with him and he reckons that DJ-J was furious he wasn't a huge star pretty much from the moment he learned to walk. Having said that I did once spend an evening in a pub with him and he seemed a pretty okay bloke.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

What we need are super-fast spaceships: I want a galactic empire! Hell, even a solar system-wide empire would do, it'd make Brexit matter less.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh come on you know we'd vote to leave the Solarpean Union if that was a thing.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

DesperateDan posted:

Plus a year away from Earth?- gently caress my bone density and radiation safety levels and get me off this shithole planet so I can be the furthest person away from the daily loving mail.

I wish he was focusing his efforts more on orbital habitats, like the O'Neill cylinder and smaller precursors.

100% earth gravity and no gravity well to constantly fight with. Supposedly the small models can be built with 1970s technology and materials, so I'd love NASA to take a 2016 look at it now that launch costs will be falling. Also orbital solar power plants - they were only ruled out in the last NASA study due to launch costs, but now launch costs will be dramatically lower and electricity prices are higher, I'd love to see them re-look at that too.

Edit: vv I've never ever watched manga. Should I?

Edit2:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't know, if that were the case why didn't they design the ISS to spin? I doubt it's that simple.

Aside from all the other reasons posted, it's not large enough. You need a certain diameter for the spin to not cause nausea. Even if that wasn't a problem, because it wasn't designed for it, the 1g force would shove people against random pieces of furniture/ceilings/walls rather than the floor. If memory serves, there are parts of the ISS that don't actually have floors either.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 3, 2016

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Sieg Zeon.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The orbital rod bombardment always seemed to be a bit fishy to me.

You damage your target by imparting kinetic energy into the target from the rod. But what imparts the energy into the rod? Probably the big rocket that launched it into space.

Why not just chuck the rocket and all of its highly explosive propellant at the target instead of faffing around with a rod in the middle of the process? Unless gravity doesn't quite work the way I think it does then I'm not seeing how you're magicking a nuclear bomb yield's worth of momentum into the rod beyond whatever energy you spent to get it up there in the first place.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because a huge kinetic energy projectile descending from space is hard to stop. Plus you can build up KE over a period of time and then dump it all at once in a ground target. It's like winding up a crossbow over a period of time and discharging that energy at a target rather than just going over and punching the target in the face.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
the difference between the rocket and the rod is that the rod releases all its energy in one go. Though afaik when you crunch the numbers it's not as impressive as sci fi authors have made it out to be. Also if you're at the point where you can afford to throw fleets of metal rods into space you may want to just consider redirecting a small asteroid.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the one that Corbyn and McDonnell supported.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's energy vs power. Nukes have a lot of both but they're only so devastating because their energy is released in an instant.

A 2GW power station can output the same amount of energy as the average nuclear bomb, it just takes it about a week and a half.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
On a scale of 1 to 10 how accurate is the scene in GI Joe where a load of Saudi bank accounts take a hit? This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOKf5r_JMAo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10 how accurate is the scene in GI Joe where a load of Saudi bank accounts take a hit? This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOKf5r_JMAo

Not Very would be my best guess. A because it's a GI Joe movie, and B because it would probably cause a big-rear end explosion rather than a weird localised earthquake thing.

• Locked thread