Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
mad upholsterer lol

I'd be jealous, but then I remember that I have never seen any good Lithuanian erotic footage, and I have seen many lovely ones, so I'm guessing I'm not missing out.

I may or may not order a Polish herlmet, a Czech gasmask and a E. German NBC protection suit from a milsurp site, just because I can. I doubt it would be here for Halloween and I have no parties to go to.

EDIT:

Oh great, now I have the idea of wear pink women's lingerie under the NBC suit for some reason...

JcDent fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

I have never any good Lithuanian erotic
do lithuanians even have sex? we just don't know

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JcDent posted:

mad upholsterer lol

I'd be jealous, but then I remember that I have never any good Lithuanian erotic, and I have seen many lovely ones, so I'm guessing I'm not missing out.

I may or may not order a Polish herlmet, a Czech gasmask and a E. German NBC protection suit from a milsurp site, just because I can. I doubt it would be here for Halloween and I have no parties to go to.

EDIT:

Oh great, now I have the idea of wear pink women's lingerie under the NBC suit for some reason...

You know all that you need to do.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

do lithuanians even have sex? we just don't know

*Looks at population statistics*
Apparently we don't!

Tias posted:

You know all that you need to do.

Aside from checking my posts for grammar mistakes before posting?

Tias
May 25, 2008

JcDent posted:

*Looks at population statistics*
Apparently we don't!

Aside from checking my posts for grammar mistakes before posting?

I was going to say dress up as a DDR chemical gimp zombie, but that works too!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oh, I totally got that. Maybe not the zombie gimp part. I have not yet come up with any possible explanation for lingerie part, only that I read that it gets hot in the suit, so I'd probably go in my underwear, and if I'm doing that, why not try for something stupid?

EDIT: Went as Taliban last year

JcDent fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 30, 2016

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's not a completely tasteless thing to do

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mo Tzu posted:

That's not a completely tasteless thing to do
for maximum tasteless he should have gone with ISIS, it would have explained the white-as-hell part

JcDent
May 13, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

for maximum tasteless he should have gone with ISIS, it would have explained the white-as-hell part

brb, ordering the ayyy lmao ISIS flag

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Sweet baby Odin in a crib. Step away from the old thread for a few weeks and look what happens; a new thread.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i went to a church this evening. i almost embarrassed myself several times by laughing during inappropriate moments. this is a good thing, though! it's good because of the reason i almost laughed. and that reason was: the church prayers and the sermon were honest. like, brutally, awkwardly, and even somewhat goonily honest. it's not every day i have been asked to say "hear our prayer" to the statement (in part) of "our two biggest candidates for president sometimes feel to us less like leaders, and more like two horsemen of the apocalypse". like, poo poo, yeah that's how i feel, but, just......:pwn:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

poo poo, who are the other two then?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

System Metternich posted:

poo poo, who are the other two then?

they just forgot Johnson and stein

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Death: Clinton
War: Trump
Plague: Stein
Famine: Johnson

checks out

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Went to mass this morning with my dad, we sang together in the choir. We're both tenors so our voices blend well, lucky genetics have given us basically the same singing voice. I felt really good about things, about faith, about life, even if things are tough. Church really does help you center your life and find some measure of peace. Definitely not the same mental place I was about a week ago.

I'll get to sing the psalm next week! It'll be Psalm 98.

Sing a new song indeed. :unsmith:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Death: Clinton
War: Trump
Plague: Stein
Famine: Johnson

checks out

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :pwn:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Is Johnson Famine because he seems delirious from malnourishment?

Went to the *new* local church in my hood yesterday. It's a modern church, so it felt more like an assembly hall than a church, even if it had stained glass windows and all. The demographics shift was jarring, tho: downtown church was full of people, and a young one's, too. This place was basically all old people, all the the time. The church prayers or something were mostly for dead people. Girlfriend says that the sermon was to the point, though I don't remember much, since I was mostly fighting against OCD and dreaming about Genestealer Neophytes.

Collection basket also showed a definite shift in demographics; downtown church was almost always paper, now it's metal.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

no it's because he's the candidate of the libertarian party

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
Today the pope, in keeping with his pattern on queer issues, doesn't budge on doctrine but really would like pastors to stop treating trans people and gays like poo poo.. Notable mainly for a pope publicly and unhesitatingly giving a particular trans man the basic dignity of being spoken of as a man, over which, as expected, the internet is already losing its poo poo.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pope has come to give not piece, but a sword, a particularly fruity sword.

Tias
May 25, 2008

It's hardly bringing a sword if he's not willing to budge on doctrine, but then, he is the pope and I guess people are expecting too much sometimes.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bel_Canto posted:

Today the pope, in keeping with his pattern on queer issues, doesn't budge on doctrine but really would like pastors to stop treating trans people and gays like poo poo.. Notable mainly for a pope publicly and unhesitatingly giving a particular trans man the basic dignity of being spoken of as a man, over which, as expected, the internet is already losing its poo poo.

Let me guess, half the internet is going "OH WOW HE DOESN'T HATE TRANS* PEOPLE, BEST POPE EVER!" and the other half is going "OH WOW, HE DOESN'T HATE TRANS* PEOPLE, WORST POPE EVER!"?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

don't forget the various contingents of "it's a nice gesture, but actually this is good/bad because..."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

:toot:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bel_Canto posted:

But are we still nuclear weapons?

I can't really take this seriously since he said something about gender theory causing children to be "confused" and think they aren't the gender God made them. Calling a trans dude he to his face is something, but this is a pope who used the word gay. I'm not particularly impressed by something like that when it's clearly not backed up by substance.

Ideological colonization, yeah Francis I'm sure two spirit native Americans find that hugely ironic. Same with Hijra Indians.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mo Tzu posted:

But are we still nuclear weapons?

I can't really take this seriously since he said something about gender theory causing children to be "confused" and think they aren't the gender God made them. Calling a trans dude he to his face is something, but this is a pope who used the word gay. I'm not particularly impressed by something like that when it's clearly not backed up by substance.

Ideological colonization, yeah Francis I'm sure two spirit native Americans find that hugely ironic. Same with Hijra Indians.

Yeah. Like, I'm glad he apparently mastered "basic politeness to a trans man" but for some mysterious reason I still don't feel particularly welcome. :smith:

Oh, um, maybe I should contextualize that a bit and actually introduce myself since it's a new thread (or, well, a new-ish thread, still) and I've kind of been haunting it for a while without really explaining myself?

I was raised non-religiously, but my extended family on my father's side is super-Catholic (my mom's side was... some sort of mainline protestant, but that's been such a vague and insubstantial presence in my life and how I was raised I couldn't even tell you what denomination my maternal grandparents were) and my dad has a complicated and fraught and unpleasant relationship with Catholicism and I have a complicated and fraught and unpleasant relationship with my dad, and between growing up around appalling stories about the seminary, dusty books about the Council of Trent or whatever, and then just the overall background radiation of growing up in Boston with an Irish last name I feel a certain... something... (???) for Catholicism? A vague sense of cultural affiliation? A feeling, when reading history (e.g. HEY GAL's 30YW posts), that the Catholics are my people in a way the Protestants aren't? A base distrust of Protestant aesthetics? Feeling guilty for everything I say and do and like just for existing in general? :j: Sometimes I sort of half-joke that I feel like I'd just been brought up ex-Catholic directly without the intervening step of having been

So I've always just considered myself an atheist? Although I've become increasingly embarrassed by that label given the recent antics of Internet Atheists. And yet lately I've started to wonder if I'm missing out on some vital component of the human experience? Ritual, community, belonging, a sense of historical continuity, that sort of thing? But, like, a.) wanting that isn't the same as actually, like, believing in a religion ("Faith, the least exclusive club on Earth, has the craftiest doorman" writes a character in David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas-- a quote that floats through my mind pretty often), and also b.) as a queer trans woman like what religion would even have me? And which of those would be actually welcoming? And which of those would that carry over to any given random congregation I imagine myself myself blundering into? Not to mention all of that feels like church (or... faith) shopping anyway. But, like, a vague sense of cultural affiliation with Catholicism doesn't really cancel out the Church's specific hostility to and violence it commits against people like me. In addition to, um, the small matter of Not Believing in God.

IDK it's kind of mess and I'm still kind of thinking through it all. I... I hope nothing I said is out of line? Since I'm not actually part of any religion sometimes I feel like it's just not my place to say anything at all. :ohdear: But this thread always seemed like such a thoughtful, welcoming, knowledgable place I thought maybe talking about it here would help...?

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 3, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
there is such a thing as cultural catholicism, like that hispanic guy from texas with the muppet avatar who doesn't really believe in god either

Empress Theonora posted:

A feeling, when reading history (e.g. HEY GAL's 30YW posts), that the Catholics are my people in a way the Protestants aren't?
snort
although the guys i study, as far as i can tell, are a mixed regiment. which is nice for them.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 3, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm an anti-clerical Orthodox Christian, and I don't ever shut the gently caress up in these threads. :v: Ritual-curious atheists are absolutely required to post here to balance my heretical influence out.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/religious-tradition/catholic/#beliefs-and-practices

a bunch of people who call themselves catholics do not believe in god, because it's a way of life, not just a set of beliefs.
if cythreal decided tomorrow that there was no god, he'd still think like a protestant. it is ingrained in him. because that's a way of life too.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

IDK it's kind of mess and I'm still kind of thinking through it all. I... I hope nothing I said is out of line? Since I'm not actually part of any religion sometimes I feel like it's just not my place to say anything at all. :ohdear:

Have you tried taking a few deep breaths? That might be a good place to start :kiddo:

I have a few thoughts on your post. One is that you don't have to label yourself anything: the fact that you see yourself as different from people who label themselves X, doesn't mean that you necessarily have to also label yourself with something different or opposite to X. Specifically, for a person who doesn't follow a religion or really believe in any kind of God, it is not required that they label themselves an "atheist". I would encourage you to explore different ideas, whether they are religious or not, and not feel pressured to put yourself in a box. And also, it's OK if you just took a label on by default! That's a normal thing that people do. And it's OK that you're now examining this label more critically and thoroughly.

The other thing I want to say is that I'm sorry so many Christians are ignorant about queer people, and that you don't feel welcome waltzing into any ol' church to check it out. I feel this is a major failure of the Church (by which I mean all churches, collectively) and it makes me sad that a lot of people I know feel rejected by the spiritual families they grew up in. But I feel that there is also hope, and there are already many churches that will welcome you as you are. You are perceptive in that particular churches within some of the more queer-friendly denominations might not be as friendly as the denomination says they are, but if you are interested in trying to figure out how to tell, I can make a post about this.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HEY GAL posted:

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/religious-tradition/catholic/#beliefs-and-practices

a bunch of people who call themselves catholics do not believe in god, because it's a way of life, not just a set of beliefs.
if cythreal decided tomorrow that there was no god, he'd still think like a protestant. it is ingrained in him. because that's a way of life too.

more than that

i'm an atheist, i wasn't raised religious, i'm a generation removed from anyone who was religious on my father's side and probably like three generations removed on my mother's

i probably still think like a Protestant because that poo poo's just endemic in the American cultural consciousness

(of course i've also spent the better part of a year trying to learn to think more like a Catholic for personal reasons and because as a high functioning autist the idea that the universe operates according to strict legalistic rules that i don't understand and which violently disagree with me makes perfect sense and actually has a perverse sort of appeal, but that's neither here nor there)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm an atheist, i wasn't raised religious, i'm a generation removed from anyone who was religious on my father's side and probably like three generations removed on my mother's

i probably still think like a Protestant because that poo poo's just endemic in the American cultural consciousness

I grew up in a well-off and very white suburb that was mostly Protestant, but with a substantial minority of Catholics and a smattering of Jews. None of us kids really gave a poo poo if someone's family went to a different church. It was probably a bigger deal if they went to a different grocery store, which was like a foreign country with its different layout and weird-shaped shopping carts and store brands you'd never heard of. Any cultural differences between the various churches were overwhelmed by the all-encompassing white-bread suburbia.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
listen to it every time me and Cythreal not just disagree about a thing but completely talk past each other. both of us can be the whitest of the white, but what goes on inside our heads when we think about religion and how it should work is very different.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

growing up as a liturgical protestant i actually agree with both of you most of the time :lol:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jodo Shinshu has been doing same sex marriages since the sixties, and the home temple of the Buddhist Churches of America (I should really try to remember if it's otani-ha or honganji-ha; I think honganji-ha) actually blessed a lesbian marriage where one of the brides was a trans woman.

This isn't to say "recite the nembutsu!" (but if you decided you wanted to that would be great) but that there are places who'll have girls like us. The Metropolitan Community Church has its issues (which as an outsider I don't particularly know or understand) but they're probably as accepting as the mainstream lgbt community (make of that what you will). And even with atheism you have groups of atheist lgbt people finding some kind of community together. Don't feel like you're an outsider everywhere, because I promise you if you look hard enough you can find something that accepts us for who we are.

Though with Catholicism you're probably stuck with dignity and most holy redeemer. There's another one but gently caress me if I can remember what the other lgbt Catholic organization is.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Empress Theonora posted:

b.) as a queer trans woman like what religion would even have me?

Norse paganism. Our king of the gods routinely cross-dressed, sang magic songs and most of the aesir got it on with giants and fathered horses and so on - not to compare transsexuality to banging animals, but our priesthood and congregations are often queer-friendly because our theology is.

Also, you can be a christian at the same time, as long as you don't consider the old covenant to be immutable law.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

If I decided I didn't believe in any form of Christianity whatsoever, I'd be a deist rather than an atheist. :) Much more intellectually appealing to me.

Or more to the point, if I nominally converted to Catholicism or Orthodoxy for a girl, I'd probably still think like an Evangelical Protestant. Can't shake a life growing up in that environment so easily.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Cythereal posted:

If I decided I didn't believe in any form of Christianity whatsoever, I'd be a deist rather than an atheist. :) Much more intellectually appealing to me.

Or more to the point, if I nominally converted to Catholicism or Orthodoxy for a girl, I'd probably still think like an Evangelical Protestant. Can't shake a life growing up in that environment so easily.

Catholics have a saying that when a Protestant converts you gain a Catholic but don't lose a Protestant.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this is a huuuuuge problem in the orthodox church in the us because there are so few of us that the ex-protestants who don't stop thinking like protestants (usually very conservative evangelicals or calvinists) can have an outsize effect.
https://orthodoxwiki.org/Josiah_Trenham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Worthleast posted:

Catholics have a saying that when a Protestant converts you gain a Catholic but don't lose a Protestant.

Okay I definitely snorted a bit at that. Learning to think like a radically different denomination is hard, though: a friend of mine is doing RCIA right now and had a lot of questions for me about how far the Seal of the Confessional extends, and I was happy to answer them but they also had me thinking that these questions just flat-out wouldn't occur to a cradle Catholic. If you're brought up in the Church, the inviolability of the confessional is as basic and absolute as gravity, and the first instinct with edge cases is probably going to be "that's above my pay grade and I'll probably never encounter it anyway."

Though now that you mention that, something else occurs to me: do you think this might perhaps be related to the fact that apologetics circles are occupied overwhelmingly by formerly-Protestant converts?

• Locked thread