Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

pacerhimself posted:

It takes a serious amount of hubris or maybe just delusional thinking to have so much terrible poo poo in your past and think you can run for loving president and not have it come out. Possibly both hubris and delusional thinking.

And Known Turtle Man, Mitch McConnell, last week after overriding the Saudi Arabia veto "uh, maybe Obama vetoed it for a good reason.... I hadn't thought of that..."

Shortsightedness is a feature, not a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Was Trumps stammering in the debate some arcane incarnation which opened a portal to hell, unleashing all of his personal demons at once?

People have been speculating that every single attack is a projection and that he has done all of that himself. By now I believe he has just done literally everything. No matter what you accuse him of (or he accuses other people of) If you dig a bit you find evidence that it's true.

On Terra Firma posted:

Man I don't know if I've ever seen Clinton this aggressive and fired up, but I don't want all of her rallies. Pretty good right now.

http://abcnews.go.com/live?stream=3

This was actually really inspiring. Clinton will do responsible and helpful things for the United States and the international communities. :unsmith:

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 3, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Newsweek has a real knack for tight, concise summaries of why Trump talking points are bullshit.

quote:

Throughout his campaign, Trump has maintained that some controversial decisions for his companies amounted to nothing more than taking actions that were good for business, and were therefore reflections of his financial acumen. But, with the exception of one business that collapsed into multiple bankruptcies, Trump does not operate a public company; he has no fiduciary obligation to shareholders to obtain the highest returns he can. His decisions to turn away from American producers were not driven by legal obligations to investors, but simply resulted in higher profits for himself and his family.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Did Trump open some portal to hell which unleashed all his personal demons at once?

Not him. Clinton did the opening, and that portal to hell is otherwise known as her oppo research.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Probably already been discussed, but I heard a Hillary clip this morning that sounded like she was calling education and healthcare paid for by the government "insane". Anyone have a link to that did I hear her wrong?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Was Trumps stammering in the debate some arcane incarnation which opened a portal to hell, unleashing all of his personal demons at once?

People have been speculating that every single attack is a projection and that he has done all of that himself. By now I believe he has just done literally everything. No matter what you accuse him of (or he accuses other people of) If you dig a bit you find evidence that it's true.

He's a 70-year-old scumbag who has been in charge of a large business enterprise since he was 25 years old. Of course he's done everything, he's got a 45 year history of being given the opportunity to do whatever lovely thing you could possibly imagine a wealthy CEO doing so of course he's done all of them.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't want to TV/IV or anything but Clinton just brought up something that I've faced dozens of times throughout the years running my business. Sometimes I will submit an invoice with terms of 30 days (sometimes 45 depending on the company) and they will conveniently 'lose" my invoice and I won't get paid for 90 days and in a few cases up to 6 months. These aren't small shops struggling to pay out either. They are huge companies with deep pockets that just push payment out because they can. There are times I've been really sweating it not because I'm doing poorly or not getting enough business, but because I haven't been reimbursed to work I did months ago and the terms of the invoice were ignored. There are times I was owed nearly $10k and was told "Oh we misplaced that invoice so we have to resubmit it through accounts payable which will take an additional 45-60 days to process." This isn't even abnormal at this point.

So even though I've done really well and I've grown my company at a very steady rate I sometimes am completely locked in place because large companies routinely decide they don't feel like paying out in a timely manner. There are times I have to find ways to delay a job while trying to save face because I do not have the cash to pay rent, my suppliers, and most importantly my employees, and take on another job. When I say I can't pay I really mean I have almost nothing in my checking and savings after expenses incurred in the process of getting work done.

Can she do anything about it? gently caress if I know, but it's the first time I've heard a politician bring it up.

It's really quite incredible to see things like this in Fortune 500 companies. At my old company DSO (days sales outstanding) was frequently our poorest metric and it was like pulling teeth getting customers to pay. The 90+ day windows you mention are pretty common, our goal was frequently on the order of 50 days on average and that metric was never met.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Probably already been discussed, but I heard a Hillary clip this morning that sounded like she was calling education and healthcare paid for by the government "insane". Anyone have a link to that did I hear her wrong?

Seeing as those have been the core of her message from almost 30 years, it was probably something akin to "not having public funding for healthcare and education is insane."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. In context it's clear that is bad phrasing. It's bad phrasing but that's about it.

Counterpoint:
https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/782986994230190081

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I've been following this thread and some news feeds all day. First time I hear of it.
Do you mean "insane" as in "all those services should be privatized?"
Or as in "It's insane how little funding those services have."?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 3, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I don't have a link but I'm willing to bet that she's calling the prices without assistance insane,.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

BREAKING: New forensic evidence implicates Trump in death of Vince Foster. Whereabouts during Benghazi still unknown.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

pacerhimself posted:

It takes a serious amount of hubris or maybe just delusional thinking to have so much terrible poo poo in your past and think you can run for loving president and not have it come out. Possibly both hubris and delusional thinking.

The dude used cutting off his own nephew's medical treatment as a bargaining chip.

I think delusional is the tip of the ice berg.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

quote:

(For example, the Chinese companies that manufacture suits and ties for the Donald Trump Signature Collection also obtain loans from mainland banks; Trump has said he has been forced to use the Chinese for his clothing lines because no American company makes those kinds of products anymore. That is not true—for example, all Brooks Brothers ties are made in New York, while about 85% of the company’s suits are made in Massachusetts.)

quote:

Another recent Trump building that has used metal from China is Trump International Hotel and Tower in Chicago, which opened in 2009. For that project, Trump obtained loans from Deutsche Bank and three hedge funds that in turn used financing from George Soros, the business magnate who is the subject of many conservative conspiracy theories and is portrayed as a threat to the Republican Party.

quote:

Trump purchased the aluminum used in the Chicago project for what is called the “curtain wall”—the glass and metal exterior designed to save energy. The wall is made with 11,500 panels of thermal pane glass encased in aluminum. Each of the panels is 6 feet, 3 inches, meaning they used 207,000 feet of aluminum; the precise amount of tonnage could not be determined. However, assuming an admittedly light weight of a pound per foot, American companies lost out on more than $350 million in sales.

For the Chicago project, tracing the metal back to China is once again a difficult process. To construct the exterior panels, Trump hired an entity called Permasteelisa Cladding Technologies Ltd., which is based in Connecticut. That company, in turn, is a division of Permasteelisa North America Corp., which, despite its name, has been identified by the American government as an importer of steel, aluminum and other metals from its affiliated companies, Permasteelisa South China Factory and Permasteelisa Hong Kong Limited.

During the time of the Trump Chicago construction, according to documents filed with the United States Court of International Trade by the Department of Justice and the Department of Commerce, Permasteelisa was dumping aluminum used in curtain walls, meaning it was using predatory pricing to sell the products below the cost of production or the amount charged in China. The beneficiaries of trade dumping are users of the material, like Trump, who save significant sums of money on construction, thus increasing their profits. The losers are the American competitors like aluminum producers who cannot possibly compete with foreign companies that are willing to take losses on the sales of their building materials in hopes of driving companies in the United States out of business.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, that's a fair counterpoint. My bad.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The rate of Trump scandals is speeding up.

We're looking at exponential growth.

By mid-October we will be facing a Trump scandal every half hour.

By November... by November they will reach something I'd like to call the Cheeto Sky. The end of all life as we know it.

Imagine a corncob 35 feet long weighing approximately 600 pounds.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

On Terra Firma posted:

Trump Adviser Roger Stone: Alicia Machado Is A “Ho Bag”

https://mediamatters.org/video/2016/10/03/trump-adviser-roger-stone-alicia-machado-ho-bag/213492

I am trying to get things done at home today and I just cannot stop laughing at everything that's happening.

god bless this election

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

illcendiary posted:

It's really quite incredible to see things like this in Fortune 500 companies. At my old company DSO (days sales outstanding) was frequently our poorest metric and it was like pulling teeth getting customers to pay. The 90+ day windows you mention are pretty common, our goal was frequently on the order of 50 days on average and that metric was never met.

It has a lot of consequences beyond just cash flow. When lenders were looking at my books in the process of buying a home they were like "Why aren't these companies paying you" and I just kind of threw my hands up and said I don't know. Then they blamed me for not getting money on time which makes me a greater risk for them. Yes lenders blamed me for not being paid on time by companies they refused to pay on time. That was a good couple of months.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

leaked footage of Trump's debate prep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0APF3SO9tqE

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ok. I found the quote, I completely misheard and she didn't use the word insane at all. Thats what I get for trying to listen to the radio with a screaming toddler in the car. Here is what I heard.

quote:

Hillary Clinton: "And on the other side, there’s just a deep desire to believe that, you know, we can have free college, free healthcare, that what we’ve done hasn’t gone far enough, and we just need to, you know, go as far as, you know, Scandinavia, whatever that means. And half the people don’t know what it means, but it is something that they deeply feel. So, as a friend of mine said the other day, I am occupying from the center-left to the center-right. And I don’t have much company there."

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

vyelkin posted:

He's a 70-year-old scumbag who has been in charge of a large business enterprise since he was 25 years old. Of course he's done everything, he's got a 45 year history of being given the opportunity to do whatever lovely thing you could possibly imagine a wealthy CEO doing so of course he's done all of them.

Just wait until they find the bodies trapped in the concrete of his tower.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Ok. I found the quote, I completely misheard and she didn't use the word insane at all. Thats what I get for trying to listen to the radio with a screaming toddler in the car. Here is what I heard.

The full thing basically her saying "I understand why they feel the way they do, and I get that I do, but I don't want to promise them the moon because I don't think we can get there so easily."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Isn't it generally accepted, perhaps outside the most rapid fan base, that Hillary is, and has been, extremely hawkish? I think that makes it a joke in incredible poor taste, like if you're at the world most terrifying dinner party and Assange made a rape-joke, OJ made a murder-joke or Trump an incest-joke. Except those things are always in really bad taste, but whatever, maybe the situation was just right to make a joke about using the kill-bots to silence dissent. If it's not a joke then that is a fundamentally awful human being. Regardless, of whether it's one or the other, it's still endlessly better that the 10 least awful things the orange fascist has said.

"Extremely" hawkish? She's no dove, but considering how many terms we have to go back through to find the last president that didn't bomb the Middle East, I think most people calling her an "extreme" hawk aren't measuring with a regulation-length yardstick.

Bushiz posted:

because they're not getting the help they need, whether through therapy or support structures in their relationships, confounded by a myriad of further mental images.

Like it's a bad sentence to say but the dude just has the vocabulary of a five year old, and you can watch the video and it's plainly clear he's not calling victims of suicide "weak"

Like in the world where he's bragging about not paying taxes, losing a billion dollars in a year, and angrily tweeting about sex tapes at 3 AM, the statement "Donald Trump isn't very good at articulating rhetorically sensitive issues" isn't even a blip on the radar.

On the other hand, the last time I recall him talking about strong and not-strong people in the context of social problems was when he said that strong women don't get sexually harassed. So when he breaks out the whole "strong people don't suffer from social problem X" formula again, I can understand folks not really being interested in giving him the benefit of the doubt!

pacerhimself posted:

Even though it's coming out, it's not hurting him nearly as much as most people tended to assume it would. And to some extent, I think he might have realized that and been counting on that. I don't think it's a Trump-specific thing like a lot of people seem to be assuming, either. I suspect that people just tend to overestimate the impact of scandals, particularly in big, high-profile races.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Furnaceface posted:

Just wait until they find the bodies trapped in the concrete of his tower.

So THAT'S where Hoffa went :tinfoil:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Still have about 5 pages to skim through, I saw my first actual anti Clinton commercial at the gym today.

It was from NRA(the gun one).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Main Paineframe posted:

Even though it's coming out, it's not hurting him nearly as much as most people tended to assume it would. And to some extent, I think he might have realized that and been counting on that. I don't think it's a Trump-specific thing like a lot of people seem to be assuming, either. I suspect that people just tend to overestimate the impact of scandals, particularly in big, high-profile races.

That charity thing could cost him tens to hundreds of millions of dollars. He funnels a lot of money through there. And the most optimistic assessment of his worth is only like 3.5 billion. He doesn't have too many hundreds of millions of open money to publicly lose before he can't even pretend to be a billionaire anymore.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/LPDonovan/status/783011408942362628

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

On Terra Firma posted:

It has a lot of consequences beyond just cash flow. When lenders were looking at my books in the process of buying a home they were like "Why aren't these companies paying you" and I just kind of threw my hands up and said I don't know. Then they blamed me for not getting money on time which makes me a greater risk for them. Yes lenders blamed me for not being paid on time by companies they refused to pay on time. That was a good couple of months.

I'm glad that my family's small business involves selling direct to consumer. We use contractors and pay them on time, but boy do they get panicky when there's a bank error or whatever and it doesn't go through. They are obviously used to the runaround.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
New Q polls:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/783010909178519552

Clinton up +5 in Florida is good news, I have no idea what's up with Ohio though

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HorseRenoir posted:

New Q polls:

Clinton up +5 in Florida is good news, I have no idea what's up with Ohio though

White uneducated people. But yeah, Trump absolutely needs Florida and without it he fails.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HorseRenoir posted:

trump's singular focus on manufacturing jobs, nafta, etc. fall flat pretty much everywhere except the rust belt

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HorseRenoir posted:

New Q polls:

I will 100% take winning Florida and NC. If that happens we don't need Ohio in the least.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

New Q polls:

Even though the rally she had there a few minutes ago was impressive, Ohio is probably a lost cause.
Ohio is a swingstate in the sense that they are voting for whoever promises the most change in Ohio because no one wants to live in Ohio as it is now. It's filled to the brim with old white men with no higher education.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I'll take NC and FL over OH any day.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Night10194 posted:

I will 100% take winning Florida and NC. If that happens we don't need Ohio in the least.

We don't need Ohio even without those two. Though I'd love those two to be added to the "firewall" so we can sleep better at night.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Kind of annoying in the sense that Hillary is a lovely center-right moderate that thinks basic healthcare and education as a right is asking for rainbows and ponies, but not really anything outrageous or shocking.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
What caused Ohio to go so hard for Trump all of a sudden, it seemed like it was at least light blue up until Hillary's pneumonia?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's filled to the brim with old white men with no higher education.

White, non educated men are the swing state deciding factor in this election. States with a large amount of them (Ohio, Iowa) are going R, states with relatively fewer of them (Florida, North Carolina) are going D.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Ohio is a lovely state anyway, who needs it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
This election is so weird. Just under 30% of the electorate identify as Republican. I think more people identify as Democrats, but it's still under 40%. The rest are swing voters and independents.

Since a-not-insignificant number of Republicans are sitting on their hands or voting Hillary, for Trump to poll these numbers he must be bringing in more independents than Romney did. That or there's a reservoir of people who haven't been voting or adequately polled in the past who are coming out of their holes for Donald. Kind of like how pollsters couldn't figure out why Trump was getting all the evangelical votes until they realized a big chunk of 'evangelical' voters just identify as that and don't actually care about religion or whether their candidate is an immoral Satan.

What I'm saying is that Republicans aren't 100% to blame for this. Trump's pulling support from other demographics too. I'd accept a 70/30 fault.

• Locked thread