Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
If Right of Return is off the table then there will need to be some other way of compensating the Palestinians not in the West bank or Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Dead Reckoning posted:

Why can't Israel set a limit on the number of returnees in that case?
What is the limit the Israeli government has set on the number of diaspora Jews claiming citizenship? Why is it right to limit the return of those Palestinian descendants of those who were expelled from the land by force just decades ago, while individuals with infinitely more tenuous connection are free to claim their 'heritage'?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

BattleMoose posted:

The Palestinian people are in a deeply unenviable position. Even so, having governance (limited) over their territories is a huge first step to becoming fully independent. I am sure if I looked I could find concessions that Israel has made, token and otherwise. Regardless, working with Israel is their only hope of achieving true independence.

They achieved limited governance over their own territories as part of the Oslo Accords and that is genrally regarded as a large scale set-back for Palestinian independence. It legitimised the Israeli occupation and although this was supposed to be a temporary measure with the palestinians being granted independence by 1999, that obviously never happened and the limited governance over their own territories involved the trade off of entrenching the far more expansive governance of their territories by Israel - the exact opposite of what they wanted.

quote:

In my assessment the Camp David offers were sincere. And failing to achieve an agreement because of East Jerusalem and Right of Return are poor reasons not to have an agreement.

The right of return wasn't one of the larger sticking points at Camp David and Arafat was willing to trade-off there in return for compromises (which didn't appear). East Jerusalem was an issue, as were settlements in the West Bank, the status of the Haram Al-Sharif and other areas. This is because these issues are very very important to Palestinians and in some cases Muslims everywhere such as with there Haram Al-Sharif where no Palestinian leader is likely to make concessions there because it would be viewed as selling out all of Islam.

You also seem to be implicitly blaming the Palestinians here, which is ridiculous when an agreement is a bi-lateral process. Israel also rejected the Palestinian offers and the Israelis were the ones asking for things which have for decades been deemed as illegitimate basis for peace by the international community.

quote:

But I am so far removed from this conflict that I just don't have any emotional investment in it at all. If the Palestinian people feel that violence is their best course of action then so be it. But we will still be having this exact same conversation ten years from now. They will not achieve independence through violence. They have a chance with diplomacy, it will suck and it will hurt a lot but the path is there.

Israel is currently lead by a PM who has been filmed bragging about how he ruined any chance of the Oslo peace accords working and campaigned for re-election on the basis of no peace. I feel it is absolutely naive and ill-informed to think that peace is available and the Palestinians are just choosing not to take it.

Also in many conflicts like Northern Ireland and South Africa peace has been attained by using violence to push the opposing force towards a situation where they are willing to compromise.

quote:

Considering the tone of this thread I doubt I will post here again. The idea that Israel is actively pursing a policy of genocide I find to be just so absurd.

Personally I don't say they're going for genocide, although I am happy to point out the very clear evidence that they're enacting a policy of ethnic cleansing.

However arguments of genocide aren't that far out there and I think there are two fairly obvious arguments to make in regards to Israel enacting genocide (even if I don't support them personally):

1) Using the maximalist definition of genocide. The exact definition of genocide has never really been codified and some experts go for very broad definition which doesn't require huge eprcentages of the population to be wiped out.

2) Looking at the expected results of their policies. For instance the destruction of their infrastructure, control over natural resources and the ongoing siege have contributed to a situation where Gaza is expected to be uninhabitable within a few years. If you're trapping people within a giant open air prison then rendering that area uninhabitable to human life - the end result is genocide. There is still time for things to change, but the current direction and set of policies enacted by Israel could end up causing a genocidal situation.

I feel it is possible to disagree with the notion that Israel is pursuing a policy of genocide, but I would by no means call it absurd.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
happy rosh hashanah

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Incidentally
كل عام و انتم بخير.
Its Islamic new years.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's a conflicting, probably mutually exclusive goal if your focus is on ending settlements and establishing a state. If that's what you want to do, a centrist party can realistically win an Israeli election on a platform from withdrawing from most of area C, supporting a two state solution, and a financial compensation package for refugees. There's no scenario where a coalition supporting a full right of return could win a Knesset majority. Therefore, supporting it or tactics like BDS just enables the Israeli right.

The status quo in American and hence world politics will not change - Clinton is significantly more pro-Israel than Obama, and any Republican challenger in four years will be doubly so. Therefore, in terms of maximizing Palestinian quality of life and maintaining the best chance for an independent state, Abbas's strategy is markedly correct in the face of dubious counterfactuals. Better to have a chance at something than to be guaranteed nothing.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Funny, the way I see it, the whitewashing of the Israeli occupation by the Democratic establishment is all the more reason to speak out for what is right.

Seriously, what are you advocating? For the proponents of peace to shut up and hope the scumbags who've led us down this road will somehow lead us to a better future?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am nothing but a jew

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

team overhead smash posted:

A good post and respectful post.

I could have a decent and functional discussion with you. Would probably learn a few things too. But considering the new avatar I earned, I'm just not. Its a shame.

Enjoy your echo chamber.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's a conflicting, probably mutually exclusive goal if your focus is on ending settlements and establishing a state. If that's what you want to do, a centrist party can realistically win an Israeli election on a platform from withdrawing from most of area C, supporting a two state solution, and a financial compensation package for refugees. There's no scenario where a coalition supporting a full right of return could win a Knesset majority. Therefore, supporting it or tactics like BDS just enables the Israeli right.

The status quo in American and hence world politics will not change - Clinton is significantly more pro-Israel than Obama, and any Republican challenger in four years will be doubly so. Therefore, in terms of maximizing Palestinian quality of life and maintaining the best chance for an independent state, Abbas's strategy is markedly correct in the face of dubious counterfactuals. Better to have a chance at something than to be guaranteed nothing.
Palestinians overwhelmingly support right of return and consider it a key issue. For Palestinian politicians or negotiators, dropping right of return is the same as political suicide. I find it a bit annoying that whenever these threads pop up, a lot of people argue exclusively with the political will of the US and Israel in mind, leaving out Palestinians almost completely and minimising their agency. Palestinians don't just exist in relation to Israel.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cugel the Clever posted:

Funny, the way I see it, the whitewashing of the Israeli occupation by the Democratic establishment is all the more reason to speak out for what is right.

:confused:

Obama tells Netanyahu of U.S. concern on settlements, urges peace

quote:

President Barack Obama told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday he had concerns about Israeli settlement expansion in the occupied West Bank and hoped the United States could still help to achieve Israeli-Palestinian peace.

. . .

"We do have concerns around settlement activity as well. And our hope is that we can continue to be an effective partner with Israel in finding a path to peace," Obama told reporters as the two leaders met on the sidelines of the annual United Nations gathering of world leaders.

Doesn't get more establishment than the President, does it? Nor is this the first time Obama has publicly emphasized his concerns over Israeli settlement activity. And the official position of the United States on the settlements for decades has been that they're illegitimate.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

BattleMoose posted:

I could have a decent and functional discussion with you. Would probably learn a few things too. But considering the new avatar I earned, I'm just not. Its a shame.

Enjoy your echo chamber.
Look, the topic brings out passions in people, particularly given the perception that some individuals aren't arguing in good faith (a perception which is, in my opinion, too often justified). If you genuinely wish to engage with team overhead smash, don't let anyone stop you. It's the Internet—no one knows if you're a dog.

Edit:
Doesn't change the fact that a good number of people in power in the Democratic Party are rabidly resistant to anything that might be seen as pressuring Israel.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/06/nyregion/cuomo-new-york-israel-boycott-bds-movement.html?_r=0

quote:

Wading into a delicate international issue, Mr. Cuomo set executive-branch and other state entities in opposition to the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement, or B.D.S., which has grown in popularity in some quarters of the United States and elsewhere, alarming Jewish leaders who fear its toll on Israel’s international image and economy.

“We cannot allow that to happen,” the governor said, adding that, “If you boycott against Israel, New York will boycott you.”
Omar Barghouti, a founder of the movement, said he did not find the actions by states like New York surprising, calling such proposals part of Israel’s “legal warfare against B.D.S.”

“Having lost many battles for hearts and minds at the grass-roots level, Israel has adopted since 2014 a new strategy to criminalize support for B.D.S. from the top,” he said in an email, adding that such actions were meant to “shield Israel from accountability.”

Mr. Barghouti added that Israel was supporting efforts by states to try to “delegitimize the boycott, a time-honored tactic of resisting injustice in the U.S. and a form of protected speech.”

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 3, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

R. Mute posted:

Palestinians overwhelmingly support right of return and consider it a key issue. For Palestinian politicians or negotiators, dropping right of return is the same as political suicide. I find it a bit annoying that whenever these threads pop up, a lot of people argue exclusively with the political will of the US and Israel in mind, leaving out Palestinians almost completely and minimising their agency. Palestinians don't just exist in relation to Israel.

I'm making a descriptive claim, not a normative one. Palestinians are largely irrelevant to US political discourse, and the US has a veto over world affairs. Hence, they have no ability for redress and that is unlikely to change. Beyond that, regardless of abstract public opinion, Fatah has proven willing to negotiate away this point. And if you think this direct choice was presented, what would the public choose?

Cugel the Clever posted:

Seriously, what are you advocating? For the proponents of peace to shut up and hope the scumbags who've led us down this road will somehow lead us to a better future?

If you're a proponent of peace, e.g., the cessation of hostilities, then why argue for something that is literally the definition of an obstacle to peace? If you look at any international consensus on the framework of a deal, the majority have them caving on this. Your position is akin to saying that there should be permanent conflict.

Your logic also makes no sense. Gaza is pretty strong evidence that Abbas's tactics in the West Bank are masterful in comparison.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BattleMoose posted:

The Palestinian people are in a deeply unenviable position. Even so, having governance (limited) over their territories is a huge first step to becoming fully independent. I am sure if I looked I could find concessions that Israel has made, token and otherwise. Regardless, working with Israel is their only hope of achieving true independence.

In my assessment the Camp David offers were sincere. And failing to achieve an agreement because of East Jerusalem and Right of Return are poor reasons not to have an agreement.

But I am so far removed from this conflict that I just don't have any emotional investment in it at all. If the Palestinian people feel that violence is their best course of action then so be it. But we will still be having this exact same conversation ten years from now. They will not achieve independence through violence. They have a chance with diplomacy, it will suck and it will hurt a lot but the path is there.

Considering the tone of this thread I doubt I will post here again. The idea that Israel is actively pursing a policy of genocide I find to be just so absurd.

The Camp David offers sucked - they were just a particularly "generous" flavor of the one-and-a-half-state solution, and the "Palestine" they proposed would have been divided into four or five separate pieces separated by strips of Israeli territory (complete with checkpoints and border police) and would have lacked control over its own foreign borders, among other things.

Self-governance, by itself, isn't a step toward anything - it's a long-preferred colonialist tactic, along with encouraging sectarian divisions and then playing kingmaker among them. It's a tactic that goes back hundreds of years, setting up collaborationist governments reliant on the occupier's support.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Wait, are you saying Israel, which chased out the Palestinians in the first place, isn't keen on letting them return? What a shocker! Especially since you list such generous conditions like "willing to let the Palestinians have most of the land they currently control".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Insect Court posted:

:confused:

Obama tells Netanyahu of U.S. concern on settlements, urges peace

Doesn't get more establishment than the President, does it? Nor is this the first time Obama has publicly emphasized his concerns over Israeli settlement activity. And the official position of the United States on the settlements for decades has been that they're illegitimate.

"Here are tons of money and weapons. By the way, we don't like what you're doing, but we will unconditionally support you on all your endeavors, even those we officially disapprove of. Have a free missile refill."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cat Mattress posted:

"Here are tons of money and weapons. By the way, we don't like what you're doing, but we will unconditionally support you on all your endeavors, even those we officially disapprove of. Have a free missile refill."
No kidding....it's hard to care about what he says when they keep upping the military aid to record levels while he wags his finger about settlements.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...the most likely outcome of the I/P issue is that the world powers allow Israel to continue to annex Palestinian land with settlements until there is nothing left, since nobody has the political will to stop them otherwise.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

I think it clear that to term the President's numerous public statements expressing concern over settlements while maintaining official US government policy deeming them illegitimate a "whitewashing" is a clear mischaracterization. Even for someone who adopts a more extreme position on the issue and who finds the US's policy towards Israel and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict profoundly wrong should be able to concede that.

R. Mute posted:

While this is, on balance, incorrect I agree that there is a tendency to emphasize Israeli decision-making. But that's the inevitable byproduct of their overwhelming military superiority, Israel has the power to enforce its desired solution on Palestinians rather than the other way around. So any real consideration of a peace plan has to give a great deal of weight to what Palestinian demands the Israelis will accede to, and it goes without saying that an unrestricted or maximalist 'right of return' is not one of those.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

The Insect Court posted:

I think it clear that to term the President's numerous public statements expressing concern over settlements while maintaining official US government policy deeming them illegitimate a "whitewashing" is a clear mischaracterization. Even for someone who adopts a more extreme position on the issue and who finds the US's policy towards Israel and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict profoundly wrong should be able to concede that.
You don't seem to be particularly familiar with American politics. While the President is hugely influential in his party, he is by no means the exclusive actor who guides and shapes its policy. There is an entrenched set of influential career politicians in the Democratic Party who are staunchly opposed to giving anything more than lip service to the Palestinian cause, as in the examples I and Cat Mattress provided you.

Kim Jong Il posted:

If you're a proponent of peace, e.g., the cessation of hostilities, then why argue for something that is literally the definition of an obstacle to peace? If you look at any international consensus on the framework of a deal, the majority have them caving on this. Your position is akin to saying that there should be permanent conflict.
An unjust peace is unsustainable. You are asking for a surrender by Palestine's politicos that the populace simply will not accept in the face of continuing occupation. We're even seeing this now—the various lone wolf attacks in the West Bank are a direct outgrowth of a lack of legitimacy in the PA and the persistence of the occupation.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

The Insect Court posted:

The settlements are a core part of a policy by which the native inhabitants of the land are forced off of it to be replaced by an alternate ethnically and religiously homogeneous group which is supported by the state.

This is a policy of ethnic cleansing.

President Obama is concerned about the settlements.

This is an example of whitewashing because simply stating that you are concerned is not the appropriate reaction to an abhorrent war crime. Especially when this is looked at in the wider context of things like providing Israel with massive amounts of military aid to help them continue their ethnic cleansing and providing them with political cover so they don't have to come to a peaceful accommodation.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Are you saying the Emperor of the Imperial United States of America doesn't get to define foreign policy according to his desires?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If Obama was really concerned about the settlements, he'd suspend financial and military aid to Israel until said settlements are dismantled.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If it's about caring, I don't think it's unreasonable to propose that your President has more important things to care about.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The standard Democratic position on the settlements is to nominally oppose them, while vehemently opposing any attempt to hold Israel accountable for continuing to build them.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Friendly Humour posted:

If it's about caring, I don't think it's unreasonable to propose that your President has more important things to care about.

Obviously not, because this cropped up because Obama is already getting involved. He was "raising concerns" about the settlements and gave a record breaking military aid packages to Israel. He can obviously fit this into the list of things he manages to care about.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cat Mattress posted:

If Obama was really concerned about the settlements, he'd suspend financial and military aid to Israel until said settlements are dismantled.

Because those are things that are not legislatively set, obviously.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

computer parts posted:

Aren't they? I would expect at least some of it is done through the executive branch, like State/Defence Department's Foreign Military Sales program.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aren't they? I would expect at least some of it is done through the executive branch, like State/Defence Department's Foreign Military Sales program.

There are eligibility requirements (iirc if we determine there was a coup they're ineligible, for example) but it's not really clear that the executive branch can just deny service.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the funding acts as a carrot, not as a stick - There's not much reason why Israel couldn't just as easily align itself with Russia, be neutral to Iran, and start denouncing the Saudis as the global threat, for example.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Israel always maintained good relations with Russia (a lot of Israeli are of ex-soviet origin after all), but they'd have a hard time pivoting on their position wrt. Iran. Iran itself doesn't really seem inclined to become friendly with Israel all of a sudden.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

computer parts posted:

The executive has its ways. For example, in the most recent military aid deal, there was a clause saying that if Congress gave Israel more money than the deal stipulated, Israel would return the extra.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Happy Jewish New Year from MK and Former Ambassador to the United States Michael Oren -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIU2TdGdyU8

Trigger warning: these are quite literally the ramblings of a man struggling against the onset of dementia, it's also 17 minutes long, you can find the transcript here: https://www.facebook.com/AmbassadorOren/videos/1223095051087560/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Apparently thinking that God opposes the settlements is a form of paganism or some poo poo, dude's bananas.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Happy Jewish New Year from MK and Former Ambassador to the United States Michael Oren -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIU2TdGdyU8

Trigger warning: these are quite literally the ramblings of a man struggling against the onset of dementia, it's also 17 minutes long, you can find the transcript here: https://www.facebook.com/AmbassadorOren/videos/1223095051087560/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Apparently thinking that God opposes the settlements is a form of paganism or some poo poo, dude's bananas.

Hahaha I saw this on Facebook. This is Jewish Evangelism, I'm pretty sure. Dude has serious issues.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Obviously not, because this cropped up because Obama is already getting involved. He was "raising concerns" about the settlements and gave a record breaking military aid packages to Israel. He can obviously fit this into the list of things he manages to care about.

Waging what amounts to a political civil war both with your own party and the legislative assemblies of the state takes a bit more than going down a list "ooh, I haven't done this yet". I don't think it's fair to blame the man for not managing both that and efficient management of the state at the same time. I thought you'd have learned a lesson about the actual political mobility of the American state with that congress budget crisis thing a while back, and yet here you are demanding leadership from a leader without power to even pass a budget without prolapsing the whole political apparatus along the way.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Friendly Humour posted:

Waging what amounts to a political civil war both with your own party and the legislative assemblies of the state takes a bit more than going down a list "ooh, I haven't done this yet". I don't think it's fair to blame the man for not managing both that and efficient management of the state at the same time. I thought you'd have learned a lesson about the actual political mobility of the American state with that congress budget crisis thing a while back, and yet here you are demanding leadership from a leader without power to even pass a budget without prolapsing the whole political apparatus along the way.

That's not a case of not having time, it's a case of conflicting priorities and choosing to legitimise war crimes and human rights abuses because it's politically convenient.

Obama has had some golden opportunities to take a new position and change the narrative on Israel, like in any one of the several episodes where Netanyahu has repudiated the USA and its policies. "It's too difficult to do anything but accept and enable war crimes" is not a valid excuse.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Change the narrative" what the gently caress does that even mean? Make more concerned statements? THreaten to veto legislation?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

That's not a case of not having time, it's a case of conflicting priorities and choosing to legitimise war crimes and human rights abuses because it's politically convenient.

Obama has had some golden opportunities to take a new position and change the narrative on Israel, like in any one of the several episodes where Netanyahu has repudiated the USA and its policies. "It's too difficult to do anything but accept and enable war crimes" is not a valid excuse.

If there's one thing you should have picked up over the last eight years, it's that Obama does not have the ability to "change the narrative" on anything, and most unilateral action he takes could easily be rolled back by his successor. His own relationship with Netanyahu is notoriously bad, but you've completely departed from reality if you think a president that can't even close Guantanamo is able to single-handedly dismantle our long relationship with Israel. We need a Congress to pull away from Israel, not just the executive.

Within the confines of what he is able to do, he's done a decent job of reframing our relationship with Israel - there have been some noteworthy changes in US diplomatic tone toward Israel under his administration, and the recent aid agreement that stipulates that Israel must reject any attempt by Congress to circumvent it is a rare feat indeed. But at this point, we should probably be looking at what the next president means for Israel, rather than the current one. Hillary has generally positioned herself as more pro-Israel than Obama has been, and Trump has been all over the map on it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
In the news: a single, half-assed Jihadi rocket leaves a pothole in Sderot, IDF holds Hamas accountable and launches multiple airstrikes.

quote:

Israeli warplanes struck Hamas sites in the northern and southern Gaza Strip on Wednesday afternoon, in the second such attack of the day after a rocket fired from the coastal enclave struck Sderot, according to Palestinian media.

The Israel Defense Forces confirmed the airstrikes, saying it targeted “a number of terror installations belonging to the Hamas terror group.”

In its statement, the IDF called Hamas “the sovereign in the Gaza Strip, which bears responsibility for every terror incident emanating from it.”

...Earlier in the day, Israeli tanks fired on Hamas targets in Beit Hanoun in the northeastern corner of the Strip, the army said. There were no immediate reports of Palestinian injuries.

The Islamic State-affiliated Ahfad al-Sahaba-Aknaf Bayt al-Maqdis terrorist group took responsibility for the rocket launch... The attack against Israel was apparently a response to the Strip’s Hamas rulers arresting several members of the Salafist organization, according to the group’s statement.

In Wednesday morning’s rocket attack, ten people in Sderot “suffered anxiety attacks” and were treated by medical teams, but no one was physically hurt by the attack, according to the Magen David Adom medical service.
Because the best way to ensure Hamas has the capacity to fully police the territory it holds and limit the strength of third-parties is to strike Hamas, apparently.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
"anxiety attacks" :fuckoff:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Friendly Humour posted:

"Change the narrative" what the gently caress does that even mean? Make more concerned statements? THreaten to veto legislation?

Main Paineframe posted:

If there's one thing you should have picked up over the last eight years, it's that Obama does not have the ability to "change the narrative" on anything, and most unilateral action he takes could easily be rolled back by his successor. His own relationship with Netanyahu is notoriously bad, but you've completely departed from reality if you think a president that can't even close Guantanamo is able to single-handedly dismantle our long relationship with Israel. We need a Congress to pull away from Israel, not just the executive.

Within the confines of what he is able to do, he's done a decent job of reframing our relationship with Israel - there have been some noteworthy changes in US diplomatic tone toward Israel under his administration, and the recent aid agreement that stipulates that Israel must reject any attempt by Congress to circumvent it is a rare feat indeed. But at this point, we should probably be looking at what the next president means for Israel, rather than the current one. Hillary has generally positioned herself as more pro-Israel than Obama has been, and Trump has been all over the map on it.

"Change the narrative" means exactly what it implies. The widely accepted US discourse of Israel needs to be shifted so it's more in line with other Western nations.

Here's my logic:

1) Israel is very unlikely to accept peace with the Palestinians unless America draws it's nearly unconditional support.

2) America is very unlikely to withdraw its near unconditional support without significant political backing.

3) Politicians are very unlikely to enable the withdrawal of near unconditional support without popular backing.

4) There is no popular backing for withdrawing near unconditional support from Israel as the population buys into a fairly unique narrative and disproportionately favours Israel in relation to other countries. People in the USA have a disproportionately Pro-Israeli view, being far more positive about Israel than typical Western nations. They are far more likely to not raise issue with Israeli war crimes, to defend Israeli actions as just and to want to continue support Israel.

Therefore to enact positive change in regards to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, the US narrative needs to be changed.

The POTUS is the most powerful and influential figure in the world, with the world's largest pulpit. Could he magically change everyone's minds? No, obviously not. But would legitimate criticism of Israeli atrocities and war crimes help push the discourse in the right direction after decades of treating Israel with kids gloves and give instant legitimacy to avenues of discourse that would otherwise be ignored? How could it not?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ok that's really cool and it's great that you admit that it's actually the People whose views are the problem here, but I don't really see how those are Obamass responsibility, or how figuratively screaming "come at me bro!" at the pulpit is going to result in anything but political chaos. Democratically elected leaders don't have a responsibility to challenge people's views even if they are wrong. That's the responsibility of the civil society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cugel the Clever posted:

In the news: a single, half-assed Jihadi rocket leaves a pothole in Sderot, IDF holds Hamas accountable and launches multiple airstrikes.

"Terror installations belonging to the Hamas terror group"

A Hamas terror terrorist went to the terror market to buy a new terror toothbrush.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Because the best way to ensure Hamas has the capacity to fully police the territory it holds and limit the strength of third-parties is to strike Hamas, apparently.

They loving did the exact same thing with the PA, bombing prisons, police stations, etc. and then complaining about terrorists escaping from a prison they destroyed and not caught back by the policemen they killed, so they bombed Palestinians some more to teach them a lesson.

It's all just a pretext to satisfy their thirst for genocide.