Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

No, you shouldn't be a human garbage pile and take actions that will get other people sick.

How sick is sick enough to make this call?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

norovirus

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mezzanon posted:

If you have to ask, you shouldn't go.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

gonorrhea

e: actually that's probably fine

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mezzanon posted:

Are you likely to get others sick?

If yes: don't go because you'll get others sick.

If no: don't go because this game is bad and you're not going to win.

It's that simple.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was actually sick this past weekend and instead of going to a tournament I had planned to go on Saturday, I did the socially responsible thing and shitpost in forums all day long.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chill la Chill posted:

I was actually sick this past weekend and instead of going to a tournament I had planned to go on Saturday, I did the socially responsible thing and shitpost in forums all day long.

I got a sinus infection after the prerelease that I'm just now getting over. :krakentoot:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Use the food code guidelines. Unexplained (ie not from eating lovely food) diarrhea, sore throat with a fever, jaundice, or vomiting; stay home.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Reasons they probably went while sick:

Mezzanon posted:

It's tough convincing people to stay home when they're sick. Especially the Magic playing demographic (18-30, lots of college students, lots of people living paycheck to paycheck). Not to mention this is probably one of the few vacations this person gets.

So we get a person who was told all through college: "unless you're sick enough to get a doctors note, you had better not miss class"

Then they go to work and hear "you can't miss work without a doctors note or you're loving fired"

Then they make getting a doctors note annoying and costly.

So they get raised into this culture of working while sick and powering through.

Add to that the thought of "I finally got some time off for this thing I enjoy, and I'm sick? gently caress it I'm not going to let that stop me from doing this thing I like!" As a kind of sunk cost fallacy.

I'm not saying I agree with playing high level magic while sick, but I know why people do it. We get told our entire lives to not take sick days. It took me months after starting my career to come to terms with the concept of actually taking sick days. And I get paid sick days.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Star Man posted:

I'd agree with this, but I believe it was Todd Stevens who was sick, and the dude's number 9 on the scg tour leaderboard. I understand that it would be frustrating to miss an event you planned ahead for, but the guy has gone to a ton of these, it's not the end of the world if he misses one.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Star Man posted:

Actual Reason:

quote:

I'm a lovely person and I don't care if I infect others, as long as I get to play a child's game for a weekend.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
We had a kid show up to FNM this week with latex gloves on. When we asked why he said "It's hand, foot & mouth disease. You're fine as long as you're not rubbing up against me." We all just stared at him and are all collectively pissed that he showed up.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I'm sick. I'm the sickest mother fucker in this convention hall, I won't play magic but I will fail at doing an ollie on my Chandra x Liliana long board in the parking lot, one hundred times.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cactrot posted:

Actual Reason:

Only if I'm playing modern

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

If you're worried about getting infected just bring Abzan Company, they run Meliras so you'll be fine.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elblanco posted:

I'd agree with this, but I believe it was Todd Stevens who was sick, and the dude's number 9 on the scg tour leaderboard. I understand that it would be frustrating to miss an event you planned ahead for, but the guy has gone to a ton of these, it's not the end of the world if he misses one.

So the guy has an actual incentive to go while sick: staying on the top ten leaderboard. (see above post of reasons people in North America go to work while sick)

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

So the guy has an actual incentive to go while sick: staying on the top ten leaderboard. (see above post of reasons people in North America go to work while sick)

That's not the same. He's not going to get fired from magic for missing one event that won't change his standing.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
hey there's a cool dude who placed tenth at a pro tour while being violently ill back in 2007:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/event-coverage/pro-tour-yokohama-blog-2007-04-19#1

Zoness fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 3, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You guys are all giant flapping pussies jfc. Just suck it up and do what you need to do.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You guys are all giant flapping pussies jfc. Just suck it up and do what you need to do.

They clearly are doing what they need to do.

Which is bitch about it.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Magic the Gathering the Megathread: Bitch About It

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Somehow I bet I'm going to be really disappointed if I ask what happens if you call a judge over to solve the problem.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

not wanting to get sick because a piece of human garbage came to a leisure event while sick - giant flapping pussy

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

You're going to be at this table with me for the next 45 minutes while I cough my flu everywhere -- unless you concede to me right now, in which case you can walk away.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elblanco posted:

That's not the same. He's not going to get fired from magic for missing one event that won't change his standing.

Are you sure this event won't change his standing? he top 8's this and gets 15 whatever points for the whatever SCG uses for its top ten. if he doesn't get those points someone else gets them, then he's off the top ten, loses appearance fee's, doesn't lock an invitational slot at the end of the season, loses out on money because of it.

I'm not saying I agree with his decision to play while sick, I am saying that I can see how he made the decision.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

at least wear a goddamn surgical mask

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Sick people should be forced to play magic from inside a bubble

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

sit on my Facebook posted:

Magic the Gathering the Megathread: Bitch About It

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
According to MTGGoldfish, 6.49% of the modern meta are despicable people who should have stayed home.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

keeblerdrow posted:

We had a kid show up to FNM this week with latex gloves on. When we asked why he said "It's hand, foot & mouth disease. You're fine as long as you're not rubbing up against me." We all just stared at him and are all collectively pissed that he showed up.

Is your store garbage or did they call his folks and rightly fix that

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Magic: the Gathering: the Megathread: You're fine as long as you're not rubbing up against me

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

uninverted posted:

According to MTGGoldfish, 6.49% of the modern meta are despicable people who should have stayed home.

That seems like a serious underestimation.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Boy I'll tell you, I'm sick!

Of all this bellyaching! :downsrim:

Does anyone else use xMage for playtesting and whatnot? I've been doing some of that lately to try and test out some decks before I buy them, but I'm mostly just loving around against the CPU because I dread going against actual humans willing to rage over fake representations of digital cardboard. Do we have a discord channel or anything for like-minded folks?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Spread influenza?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/55brsc/went_to_a_magic_the_gathering_tournament_this_was/

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:laffo:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Idk what this was supposed to be, but you are an idiot for posting lovely reddits.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Is it misogyny to point out that this woman practically has her tits out? I mean, if I could play chess and show a bit of sideball, how would that go down? Like really short shorts but loose too, and just a few cm of sideball at almost face height.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Does anyone else use xMage for playtesting and whatnot? I've been doing some of that lately to try and test out some decks before I buy them, but I'm mostly just loving around against the CPU because I dread going against actual humans willing to rage over fake representations of digital cardboard. Do we have a discord channel or anything for like-minded folks?

I don't know about discord, but I play on xmage too. I had one guy get angry about standard decks needing new cards to compete. Other than that people just concede the second the game goes south for them, most if the time. So overall I haven't had a bad experience with playing real people. Though it would be cool to get a goon platter group together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

C-Euro posted:

IRC info is in the OP.

• Locked thread