Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I know half a dozen people who keep telling me how happy they are they moved to Hamilton and how there's a thriving arts scene there and it's where all the cool kids are.

To be fair to Hamilton, Stelco doesn't really operate anymore, not like the 80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Risky Bisquick posted:

To be fair to Hamilton, Stelco doesn't really operate anymore, not like the 80s

Well all those waterfront factories were still spouting pollution and looking apocalyptic when I drove by on Sunday afternoon so something's going on there.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The waterfront piers that were formerly mordor industrial are largely being reclaimed and redeveloped in to parkland or residential developments. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire area was gentrified and redeveloped in twenty years.

If all you see of Hamilton is the view from the skybridge then you're missing a lot.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

cowofwar posted:

The waterfront piers that were formerly mordor industrial are largely being reclaimed and redeveloped in to parkland or residential developments. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire area was gentrified and redeveloped in twenty years.

If all you see of Hamilton is the view from the skybridge then you're missing a lot. [citation needed]

[crime, general canadian malaise towards working, unemployment]

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am already working at the rear end end of the tech industry by being in Vancouver. I would rather not see where my career would take me by moving to Kamloops or Vernon.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

It's really depressing that Canada doesn't have a huge number of smaller cities that have great qualities of life and actual jobs that people who don't want to live in Toronto or Vancouver or Montreal could live in. Even the US seems better in this respect. In europe most countries of course have their few big expensive cities, but there's usually dozens or more medium cities and tons of smaller cities that are still worth living in.

Canada has what, Victoria and Quebec city?

this is a seriously dumb loving post

i hope ur trolling

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Hamilton is host to some of the most amazing green spaces I've ever seen inside a city boundary including some of the nicest waterfalls in southern Ontario.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

cowofwar posted:

If all you see of Hamilton is the view from the skybridge then you're missing a lot.

Dude I've been to Hamilton. Go peddle this poo poo to the tourists. Or maybe blind people who also can't smell.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I know half a dozen people who keep telling me how happy they are they moved to Hamilton and how there's a thriving arts scene there and it's where all the cool kids are.

Those people probably don't live right next to Burlington Street and I can't think of any city with an industrial section that looked good.

Plenty of reasons Hamilton sucks like driving and its frankly bizarre urban planning.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why isn't Morneau interested in clamping down on primary residence fraud by Canadians? I bought my first house from a shady guy who's wife's name was on the title as her primary residence.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

namaste faggots posted:

Why isn't Morneau interested in clamping down on primary residence fraud by Canadians? I bought my first house from a shady guy who's wife's name was on the title as her primary residence.

Are you suggesting we should report to the CRA our RE transactions for oversight purposes :aaaaa:

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

leftist heap posted:

OK, please point out the market based solution to rent control for which there is broad consensus among economists. Then for fun narrow it down to the ones that are remotely politically tractable.

Supply-side solutions/purpose-built rental housing would probably be the two most common.

Generally agreed with cheap credit/foreign investment etc but those are examples of things that affect the housing market much more than the rental one.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

It's really depressing that Canada doesn't have a huge number of smaller cities that have great qualities of life and actual jobs that people who don't want to live in Toronto or Vancouver or Montreal could live in. Even the US seems better in this respect. In europe most countries of course have their few big expensive cities, but there's usually dozens or more medium cities and tons of smaller cities that are still worth living in.

Move to London, The Forest City!
The drugs aren't that much of a problem.
Also its drivable!

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cerepol posted:

Move to London, The Forest City!
The drugs aren't that much of a problem.
Also its drivable!

"eat all the candy you want, we've got insulin!"

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

You could always live in Brandon Manitoba

or Kenora

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Fried Watermelon posted:

or Kenora

Don't move to Kenora or you'll get stuck in traffic surrounded by filthy 'tobans every weekend in the summer.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

A typical condo building is already 60%+ rental. People buy them as investments so that they can rent them out. Removing rent control would potentially make these investments more lucrative, which would likely result in increased demand for condos and in developers being extra incentivized to create condos vs rental.

The big difference between condos and rental is that with condos you can do presales and get money and prove demand before construction even starts. A policy to encourage rental would have to be something that would effectively erase this condo advantage. I don't know what this would be. Easier lending for rental projects maybe.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Yeah I get it, Hamilton sux lol. But large areas of Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Quebec are also festering shitburgs. False Creek and the nearby waterfront areas were similar industrial poo poo-holes in the '60s.

Hamilton is the ninth largest city in Canada by population and 17th largest by area so it's not really accurate to paint the entire region as being entirely representative of the north Barton industrial area.

It is deserving of its title of having one of the highest mobility aids per capita. Scooters everywhere.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Femtosecond posted:

A typical condo building is already 60%+ rental. People buy them as investments so that they can rent them out. Removing rent control would potentially make these investments more lucrative, which would likely result in increased demand for condos and in developers being extra incentivized to create condos vs rental.

The big difference between condos and rental is that with condos you can do presales and get money and prove demand before construction even starts. A policy to encourage rental would have to be something that would effectively erase this condo advantage. I don't know what this would be. Easier lending for rental projects maybe.

Condos also have the cap gains advantage and depending on your city, a municipal property tax advantage.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Femtosecond posted:

Regulating the housing market doesn't have to be all carrot you know. You really seem to fixate on everything being solved by some sort of subsidy.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Lobok posted:

Condos also have the cap gains advantage and depending on your city, a municipal property tax advantage.

Every condo has a municipal property tax advantage, it's called deferral until sold.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Femtosecond on city council: Buuh, how can we stop all this condo development??? Duuhhh, nothin we can do i guess except subsidize rentals I guess.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Risky Bisquick posted:

Every condo has a municipal property tax advantage, it's called deferral until sold.

I meant the whole building itself pays less in municipal property taxes each year. If you take two structures that are exactly the same and one is high-rise rental and one is high-rise condo the latter pays less each year.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

Baronjutter posted:

I think you're forgetting about Waterloo, the Silicon Valley of Canada. Or maybe you should call Silicon Valley the Waterloo of California given how hot and exciting these new RIM products are!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

cowofwar posted:

Yeah I get it, Hamilton sux lol. But large areas of Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Quebec are also festering shitburgs. False Creek and the nearby waterfront areas were similar industrial poo poo-holes in the '60s.

Hamilton is the ninth largest city in Canada by population and 17th largest by area so it's not really accurate to paint the entire region as being entirely representative of the north Barton industrial area.

It is deserving of its title of having one of the highest mobility aids per capita. Scooters everywhere.

Do you know where I can find states for the scooters? I live a half-hour away in Brantford, and I see them EVERYWHERE.

And please, don't poo poo on my dream of moving out of this backwater shithole by saying Hamilton sucks. It's still a step up for those of us born into less-fortunate circumstances, that want to find decent jobs (or be closer to the one I already have), places to go that serve more than piss-water beer and lame country music, girls that have hobbies more interesting than "see how many tattoos I can fit on my clavicle and shoulder-blade", and not fall under the incessant whine of white people complaining about how "Natives do nothing but drink and steal and whine. Fuckin' Trudeau."

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Femtosecond posted:

Ban presales.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

or Kenora

When a town of 15000 is considered a small city in Canada I kind of agree with baronjutters point about the lack of development in non-urban areas.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

blah_blah posted:

The rental market is only loosely connected to the housing market in Vancouver and has been this way for a long time. Vancouver has housing prices on par or exceeding basically every city in North America, but rents are low in comparison.

There is virtually zero purpose-built rental housing in Vancouver that has been built in the last 10 years (and probably a fair bit longer). A big part of this is that rent control makes constructing purpose-built rental housing very unattractive on the construction/development side.

I'm sure it felt very good to type 'Nationalize all rental housing' and I know you'd be in favor of repossessing people's condos that are currently being rented out (I could get behind that too, just for the laughs), but the broader point is that there basically is no rental housing and this is generally considered an expected consequence of rent control.

There's a separate argument that our politicians should have the foresight to make development/rental situations that are in the long-term good of their constituents and not the development/construction companies that donate to them, but in Vancouver/BC that's about as likely as full nationalization.

They can't in Canada. And virtually every economist you could find would also be against the unlimited capital gains exemptions on primary residences, this thread's favorite example of bad policy and the fiscal policy that is most responsible for the current housing bubble.

Economists say a lot of ridiculous poo poo, much of which is ideologically driven, but the issues which they have broad consensus on are mostly reasonable. In particular the net effect of rent control is just that certain renters subsidize other ones, and that subsidized renters either become rent-seekers as well (through subletting) or lack physical and economic mobility.

So why isn't toronto flooded with new rental builds then? There's no rent control on new buildings. Your argument is demonstrably false.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My part of Vancouver really is being flooded by rental-only buildings. I think there are more rental condo towers under construction than strata on the north shore now

This is being built at the north side of Lions Gate Bridge

Lonsdale and 13th

East Keith road

And there may be a few more that aren't coming to mind right now

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What's a "rental condo"? Do people buy the units and then have to rent them out?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Subjunctive posted:

What's a "rental condo"? Do people buy the units and then have to rent them out?

This is like the most common thing in the condo market. You buy like 3 condos (at presale) then rent them out for barely what your mortgage is, then you flip out when you realize that upkeep will eat into your breaking even, and sometimes dealing with tenants actually takes time and effort. But it's all ok because you still got idiots throwing away their money to pay for YOUR mortgage.

In old buildings full of olds it's usually banned, but most all new condos end up getting nearly 50% rented out. Except renting a condo is often poo poo because you get treated 2nd class by the live-in owners, and you have an idiot as a landlord.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

RBC posted:

So why isn't toronto flooded with new rental builds then? There's no rent control on new buildings. Your argument is demonstrably false.

Because there are lots of other significant factors encouraging speculation and favoring condo construction over rental construction, from basically all levels of government? I don't know how you can call this 'demonstrably false' when the confounding factor is the biggest property bubble in Canadian history.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

blah_blah posted:

Because there are lots of other significant factors encouraging speculation and favoring condo construction over rental construction, from basically all levels of government? I don't know how you can call this 'demonstrably false' when the confounding factor is the biggest property bubble in Canadian history.

Uh no poo poo? Why even bring up rent control?

It's demonstrably false because it is. You claimed Vancouver doesn't build purpose built rentals because of rent control. I said that's not true, because Toronto doesn't either, and it doesn't have rent control on new buildings.

This is what we call "reality." Not a fabricated economic case study done in a vacuum.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

those new north van condos are lol. pay downtown prices for suburban infrastructure and commute times. and half of them are adjacent to the freeway haha

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
does the seabus run 24 hours now?

no?

gently caress off

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

RBC posted:

It's demonstrably false because it is. You claimed Vancouver doesn't build purpose built rentals because of rent control. I said that's not true, because Toronto doesn't either, and it doesn't have rent control on new buildings.

I said it was one of the contributing factors, which it is ("A big part of this...").

I mean, if we're going to go down the 'reality' road, I live in a purpose-built rental in San Francisco, where, just like Toronto, we don't have rent control on new buildings (but do on pre-1979 buildings). Purpose-built rentals are actually being built reasonably frequently out here. It's almost as if the right combination of incentives, rather than any single one, can make that happen.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

blah_blah posted:

I said it was one of the contributing factors, which it is ("A big part of this...").

I mean, if we're going to go down the 'reality' road, I live in a purpose-built rental in San Francisco, where, just like Toronto, we don't have rent control on new buildings (but do on pre-1979 buildings). Purpose-built rentals are actually being built reasonably frequently out here. It's almost as if the right combination of incentives, rather than any single one, can make that happen.

A big part of this implies your point is rent control is the big contributing factor. Which is wrong.

Not to mention your total lack of understanding of what rent control actually is and that when "economists" claim it reduces supply they are referring to price ceilings, which is not the type of control that is employed in BC.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

I mean it's almost as if you have no point at all to make except for this shallow understanding of a garbage economic theory that's 20 years old.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...rticle32219135/

quote:

Ottawa has brought this country's housing fantasy to an end

The fantasy of endlessly rising house prices is over.

If the housing market doesnt respond to measures announced by the federal government on Monday, then expect more action ahead. Argue all you like about how economic and real estate fundamentals affect prices. In the end, its government action that will bring housing to heel.

Thank god for some adult supervision in housing. We need it for all the people who are basing the biggest financial move of their lives on the idea that houses always go up in price. Ideally, government intervention today prevents a painful correction ahead.

A lot of people are torqued about the influence of foreign buyers on our hottest housing markets, and the feds did target this group. But a measure with much wider applicability is the stricter enforcement of a mortgage rate stress test that people must take if they have a down payment of less than 20 per cent and therefore must have mortgage default insurance.

You now have to take this test if youre in this group and want a variable-rate mortgage or a fixed-rate mortgage with a term under five years. Starting with mortgage insurance applications made on Oct. 17 and thereafter, fixed-rate mortgages of five years and longer will be included as well. Mortgage broker David Larock said two-thirds of borrowers today are going with the five-year rate, so including them in the stress test is a major development.

This is all the more true when you consider just how tough the stress test is. The idea is to see if you can handle rates at levels that are much higher than they are today. The reference rate is called the Bank of Canada conventional five-year fixed posted mortgage rate, and its based on rates advertised by the Big Six banks. This rate now sits at 4.64 per cent, which compares to about 2.4 per cent for a nicely discounted five-year fixed rate in todays market.

A lot of housing bulls have based their argument on a view that interest rates are low and not about to rise in a serious, sustained way because the economys too weak to stand it. But the more widely applicable stress test is like a back-door interest rate hike for some buyers.

Its the same as if rates went up to 4.64 per cent overnight, Mr. Larock said. There is a danger that government might have overtightened.

The existing stress test was just as tough. But it only affected a minority of buyers who, if they flunked the test, could move to a five-year fixed term and avoid it altogether. Now, that option is disappearing.

Only a minority of mortgages in Canada these days require mortgage insurance, which means a lot of buyers have down payments of 20 per cent of more. While its not widely known, lenders are increasingly having these mortgages insured as well. Lenders are bearing the cost of the insurance, so its basically an invisible process for the customer.

Starting Nov. 30, however, lenders will have to be more stringent in cases where theyre insuring the mortgages of clients who have a down payment of 20 per cent or more. These customers will have to meet the same tough borrowing requirements as people with high-ratio mortgages (down payments less than 20 per cent). For example, the stress test will be used and the maximum amortization period will be 25 years.

Finally, the government is closing loopholes that foreign buyers use to avoid paying capital gains tax on homes in this country. Canadians do not have to pay tax on the gains if they sell their principal residence for more than they pay.

If all of these measures combined dont contain the housing market, theres always what the government calls lender risk-sharing. If an insured mortgage defaults, lenders are 100 per cent covered. Ottawa wants to consult on the idea of lenders bearing at least some of the risk of a default, a change that would probably result in lenders being less aggressive with mortgage rate discounts.

Just as important as these measures themselves is the message they send to those who believe whats happening in our housing market today is normal or healthy. Ottawas worried and its taking action. Prices will not rise endlessly base your financial decisions accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

blah_blah posted:

There it is. A supply sider in SF, lmao. Tell me more.