Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

This one kept coming up on the youtube sidebar and its not only ways to hack your life but things youve been doing wrong! Like, you know spending money or eatnig baloney sandwiches without baloney in every bite like a sucker. What sold me though was the preview image

I couldnt bear to watch the whole thing so I don't know if the questions raised by that image are ever answered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

rydiafan posted:

How the gently caress are electronics sold without the cable attached in any place except the 1960s Soviet Union? Did you people buy cars without steering wheels and axles too?

It's an insane thing they did in Britain. The appliance came with the power cord, just no plug.

https://youtu.be/UEfP1OKKz_Q

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

This must have never happened in America because I've bought plenty of 40s and 50s electrical poo poo to sell to collectors and they all had original obviously not amateur installed cords.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Because those are the only items that survived the fires

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

Clean your saucepans.

Shut up and hack bro.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

This one kept coming up on the youtube sidebar and its not only ways to hack your life but things youve been doing wrong! Like, you know spending money or eatnig baloney sandwiches without baloney in every bite like a sucker. What sold me though was the preview image

I couldnt bear to watch the whole thing so I don't know if the questions raised by that image are ever answered

Vicious morningwood. I prefer the superman.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AlmightyBob posted:

This must have never happened in America because I've bought plenty of 40s and 50s electrical poo poo to sell to collectors and they all had original obviously not amateur installed cords.

How the gently caress would anyone be able to tell?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I have a hand held blender that was made in the DDR and it has a perfectly fine plug? Is this some kind of miserable Briton inside joke?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sentient Data posted:

Sounds like you never bought a dryer. At least they have eyes instead of just raw cable now

As far as why they don't just include the cord for an already standardized outlet, :iiam:
In the US at least it leaves you the option to use a 14-30 or a 14-50. A lot of newer houses and apartments only have 14-50s across the board because bigger is better.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Non Serviam posted:

It's an insane thing they did in Britain. The appliance came with the power cord, just no plug.

https://youtu.be/UEfP1OKKz_Q

Whilst we're doing PlugChat, I remember my grandparents and parents having a bunch of appliances with two-pronged European plugs instead of the three-pronged safer plugs as demonstrated in the video. For reasons demonstrated in the video, you can't just leave the top prong empty, so from a very young age I was taught to switch off the plug socket, jam a cake fork or teaspoon handle into the third, top (i.e. earth) prong, and then put the plug in.

I suspect it was because we didn't have any British plugs, and it eas easier to randomly shove cutlery into sockets than buy new appliances and fit plugs to them all.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Lady Demelza posted:

Whilst we're doing PlugChat, I remember my grandparents and parents having a bunch of appliances with two-pronged European plugs instead of the three-pronged safer plugs as demonstrated in the video. For reasons demonstrated in the video, you can't just leave the top prong empty, so from a very young age I was taught to switch off the plug socket, jam a cake fork or teaspoon handle into the third, top (i.e. earth) prong, and then put the plug in.

I suspect it was because we didn't have any British plugs, and it eas easier to randomly shove cutlery into sockets than buy new appliances and fit plugs to them all.

My dad had some import German sceletrix that we had to do this to use. Whenever we got it out it was "never ever do this" and then proceed to jam a screwdriver in the earth terminal before plugging in the power pack.

I'm a bit perplexed why. He's the sort of man that will take a home-country multiboard and replace the plug with a a foreign country plug when he goes on holiday so he doesn't need to use 5 dodgy adapters that all drop the earth pin. (Thats a decent lifehack there)

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Rysithusiku posted:

Vicious morningwood. I prefer the superman.

Jeremy you are going to fall off the toilet what the gently caress are you doing

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Throatwarbler posted:

I have a hand held blender that was made in the DDR and it has a perfectly fine plug? Is this some kind of miserable Briton inside joke?

Remember, this is what British sinks are like

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Throatwarbler posted:

The DDR? Do you have to stomp on arrows to get it to work?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's a simple pattern, though, just Up, Left, Down, Right.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm pretty sure you can't sell appliances in the UK without a plug anymore. Granted that law was only introduced in the early 90's, so it was fairly recent.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

I always presumed that the best, most unapologetic, and most intuatively satisfying part of being a dude was the convenience of pissing out of the wiener. Sure, no one has pooped correctly since we lived in caves and our diets are all wrong now and basically everything that's come after the invention of language and civilization is not ideal, but surely waving the dong around while peeing is still right, right?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You have never experienced freedom until you have peed cartwheeling.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
--Trump, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Veotax posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't sell appliances in the UK without a plug anymore. Granted that law was only introduced in the early 90's, so it was fairly recent.

26 years ago. Fairly recent.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sidewalk gum posted:

As you get older, years become shorter.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

sidewalk gum posted:

I have sweaters older than that :corsair:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Wanamingo posted:

Remember, this is what British sinks are like

Eh, it's pretty old fashioned for a US sink, but not something I haven't seen here in this country. Makes sense really, I like it.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Choco1980 posted:

Eh, it's pretty old fashioned for a US sink, but not something I haven't seen here in this country. Makes sense really, I like it.

Well I'd never seen it in the US, and I hate it. Even worse than the fact they're a thousand yards apart is the fact that they stick out like half an inch from the side of the sink. I hope you like rubbing your hands all over the back of the sink as you alternate between scalding them and freezing them.

Here's a lifehack; pee is sterile, so instead of using the abomination that is the british sink, just piss on your hands like a animal!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Crust First posted:

Well I'd never seen it in the US, and I hate it. Even worse than the fact they're a thousand yards apart is the fact that they stick out like half an inch from the side of the sink. I hope you like rubbing your hands all over the back of the sink as you alternate between scalding them and freezing them.

Here's a lifehack; pee is sterile, so instead of using the abomination that is the british sink, just piss on your hands like a animal!

You fill the bowl with water and then wash your hands in the bowl.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

El Estrago Bonito posted:

That sounds like a huge waste of water...

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Trebek posted:

I think you guys are missing a real gem from this video. Tired of having to constantly check the oven to see if your food is ready? Simply tape your cell phone to the front of the oven and then facetime it from your laptop. Now you can monitor your food remotely and free yourself up to do other things.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't done that to keep en eye on whether water was boiling.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah but then people steal the plug and everything is terrible forever

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

Zipperelli. posted:

Yeah, but it keeps dead rats out of the cold water.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB1034808366965148988

quote:

Older British homes often have storage tanks in their attics that feed water heaters. Under certain conditions, those tanks could be contaminated -- for instance, by the intrusion of a rat -- and tainted hot water that flows into a mixer tap might get sucked into a cold-water pipe leading back to the public water supply, endangering the whole neighborhood.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Crust First posted:

Piss into the sink! not only will it save water when washing your hands but the sink is at waist height making for a more ergonomic piss.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Choco1980 posted:

Makes sense really, I like it.

What's good about it? What's the actual advantage over a single tap?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

What's the actual reason for those super short faucets that barely reach the sink? All of the sinks at work are like that and it makes it impossible to wash your hands because there's nowhere for your hands to go.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Trebek posted:

I think you guys are missing a real gem from this video. Tired of having to constantly check the oven to see if your food is ready? Simply tape your cell phone to the front of the oven and then facetime it from your laptop. Now you can monitor your food remotely and free yourself up to do other things.

Actual FaceTime (nice autocorrect) lifehack: one time my ex and I got back to her house when she realized she had forgotten her house key on the kitchen counter. The door from the garage into the kitchen was locked as well, but there was a cat flap. She went to the other side of the house where there was a window looking into the kitchen, and I used a mop handle to knock the keys off the counter onto the floor where I could reach them like a animal.

Walla!

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

What's the actual reason for those super short faucets that barely reach the sink? All of the sinks at work are like that and it makes it impossible to wash your hands because there's nowhere for your hands to go.

Fake answer: safety precaution so you can't scald your entire hand.

(probable) Real answer: post war rationing.

If it's in England, poo poo, and has been poo poo for a while, the most likely culprit is post-war rationing.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Zipperelli. posted:

The UK is not California water conservation is not really necessary outside of the South East and that's only because of poorly maintained water infrastructure.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Horse Clocks posted:

Fake answer: safety precaution so you can't scald your entire hand.

(probable) Real answer: post war rationing.

If it's in England, poo poo, and has been poo poo for a while, the most likely culprit is post-war rationing.

That might explain it if it was just old taps in England, but it's more recent taps in other countries as well.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's a meme.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

And not the funny kind, but the Metal Gear Solid kind you can only talk about with a voice that sounds like you had whiskey on the literal rocks for lunch.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CharlieWhiskey posted:

It's been a while since the last time I did electrolysis in chemistry class, but is the water only boiling at the end? Or is O2 + H2 being released? Or is it an AC/DC thing? :rock:

AC is not effective at electrolysis. It’s just boiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Pee into empty water and gatorade bottles to save the time you would use walking all the way to your bathroom. Remember to keep bottles separate and labeled if possible