Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Trast posted:

I know I've asked this before but seriously what is Bendis' problem with Captain Marvel? He's devoted an entire summer event to making GBS threads all over a character other people in Marvel are hoping to build into their first truly break out female superhero.

Man, it's almost like a number of people in the comics book industry, or nerdy stuff in general, have woman problems or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Trast posted:

I know I've asked this before but seriously what is Bendis' problem with Captain Marvel? He's devoted an entire summer event to making GBS threads all over a character other people in Marvel are hoping to build into their first truly break out female superhero.

He doesn't have a problem with Carol. He's just a poo poo writer. The last interview he gave was basically "We're trying to construct a shades of grey narrative in which the reader is constantly questioning who is on the side of right even though that is so uncouth, and wait for the end of the event you whiners."

He thinks he's crafting the next great narrative in which we are presented a nuanced view on crime.

Instead we got Civil War II. An event that is, in canon, intent on making Carol "The most famous hero in the Marvel Universe." Because here is the scary thing, it's not that he hates Carol, it's that he thinks this will get her over. Look at how he treats Kitty Pryde, and he's got a sky piercing boner for her.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 2, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bendis reminds me of Rihanna in that some of his stuff is great, but overall he needs to take a break and stop having such a constant output because it dilutes what works about him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
edit nvm

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'll provide the opposite perspective and say that as someone whose only exposure to Bendis is when people on the forums (or, rarely, elsewhere online) bring him up, and I had a vague impression of him being some kind of "big name but actually bad" boogeyman, like the way people talk about Liefield. Then again I can't really come up with any names with a positive impression except Ryan North and Brian Clevinger.

And I thought people hated the original Civil War for being a clumsy Bush Administration allegory that made Iron Man the bad guy for the sake of forced drama? Surprised they'd want to do another one of those, but not surprised to hear different writers are working at cross-purposes - that seems to be one of the many problems with the way major comic universes are structured.

Edit: Normally I might edit out my answer to your question now that you've edited it out, but I already made the effort to Google how to spell Clevinger and I'm not letting that go to waste.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dolash posted:

Edit: Normally I might edit out my answer to your question now that you've edited it out, but I already made the effort to Google how to spell Clevinger and I'm not letting that go to waste.

Yeah, sorry, I confused Bendis with Hickman for some reason. :doh:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dolash posted:

I'll provide the opposite perspective and say that as someone whose only exposure to Bendis is when people on the forums (or, rarely, elsewhere online) bring him up, and I had a vague impression of him being some kind of "big name but actually bad" boogeyman, like the way people talk about Liefield.

You're not far off. I can't think of anything Bendis has done that's all that good since Siege and Ultimate Spider-Man, and he hosed up both of those with the Heroic Age Avengers+bringing Peter back and dumping Miles in 616.

I guess his Iron Man wasn't terrible but didn't exactly leave me chomping at the bit either.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Dolash posted:

I'll provide the opposite perspective and say that as someone whose only exposure to Bendis is when people on the forums (or, rarely, elsewhere online) bring him up, and I had a vague impression of him being some kind of "big name but actually bad" boogeyman, like the way people talk about Liefield.

Bendis has a lot of great books, some of them are absolute classics like his Daredevil run. Alias, New Avengers, Ultimate Spider-Man, and his old indie books are all pretty great. He also has a lot of duds, like his X-Men run and practically all of his event books, but I don't really think he is in the same league as Liefeld.

WickedHate posted:

You're not far off. I can't think of anything Bendis has done that's all that good since Siege and Ultimate Spider-Man, and he hosed up both of those with the Heroic Age Avengers+bringing Peter back and dumping Miles in 616.

I guess his Iron Man wasn't terrible but didn't exactly leave me chomping at the bit either.

Well, his Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty good at least.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lencho posted:

practically all of his event books

I feel this is the main thing with him. Bendis is at his best writing a room full of people sitting around talking. He's great at small scale, heatfelt stuff, but when he tries to do something big, he just doesn't know what he's doing

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

TwoPair posted:

Not all the time, just in her recent Deadpool-lite series.

And yet I still enjoy it.

And the other Deadpool knock-off they put into the series.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And yet I still enjoy it.

And the other Deadpool knock-off they put into the series.

Wait there's another one? I finally jumped ship a while back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Things are real bad, guys :ohdear:

Ms. Marvel #8

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Things are real bad, guys :ohdear:

Ms. Marvel #8

This is the most depressing thing I've ever read,

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Especially since it should be shwarma with garlic potatoes dammit!

(Gyro is greek)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe he just wants to eat a gyro and fries and doesn't instantly assume people only want to eat their own ethnic foods?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh, no, I mean shwarma is better than Gyro :colbert:

Also, it's an Avengers movie ref.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They're both pretty much the same thing: inferior to a kebab.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe he just wants to eat a gyro and fries and doesn't instantly assume people only want to eat their own ethnic foods?

I don't think Tony Stark knows her secret identity and so probably isn't sure of her ethnic identity, surprised he didn't offer her tacos

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh, no, I mean shwarma is better than Gyro :colbert:

Ghostlight posted:

Also surprised he didn't offer tacos because that's clearly the superior food.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

They're both pretty much the same thing: inferior to a kebab souvlaki.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I have some difficulty taking that as a funny panel because it's pretty much true. The entire issue is dedicated to punching Kamala in the gut.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think all the adult Avengers know the kids IDs. Vision visits her at school in once issue to give her a present of a VR history of the Avengers, so she can feel like she was actually there during all the big moments, to make up for being an rear end in a top hat to her when Kang had hacked him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Just go all the way and get a Halal Snack Pack.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

bunnyofdoom posted:

Especially since it should be shwarma with garlic potatoes dammit!

(Gyro is greek)

Kamala's love for gyros has been a going thing in the series since the first volume.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wanderer posted:

Kamala's love for gyros has been a going thing in the series since the first volume.

I thought she was Muslim, though. Gyros are for the Greek Orthodox.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
sometimes Halal has to take a backseat to personal comforting.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Halal Gyros are a thing. You'll find it at almost literally any Shawarma place.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Why would you even have trouble finding halal gyros.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You can't get more comforting than an HSP!

And by comforting I mean it's the best food as decided by drunk you.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

prefect posted:

I thought she was Muslim, though. Gyros are for the Greek Orthodox.

I'm not Greek Orthodox and I eat them. Call the cops, I don't give a gently caress.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i am pretty sure that it is okay if an american teenager likes fast food that strays from her cultural heritage. like, wtf dude?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
As long as it's not a blt.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
To be fair, the smell of bacon is almost better than the actual taste of it.
Almost.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ms. Marvel is such a joy of a comic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think I've had a non-halal gyro, to be honest.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I wasn't aware such a thing existed without, you know, just putting bacon in it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

TwoPair posted:

Wait there's another one? I finally jumped ship a while back.

Oh yeah, and this one's pretty blatant. Meet Red Tool

(Harley Quinn #1 - Rebirth)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Illegalize Harley Quinn solo books.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Harley Quinn quit biting the hand that feeds you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...