Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Beelzebozo posted:

JCLexicon found the October DLC through URL fuckery

I wonder how many of those songs are going to have fake stems. :ohdear:

whypick1 posted:

"This week's DLC is the worst since last week"

:lol: I would if I could change it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

precision posted:

Well, that explains why it sounds identical to Blues Traveler, but not why anyone alive gives a poo poo about it, and still doesn't really explain how I've heard it nine billion times since I wasn't listening to that poo poo 19 years ago either.

because that song was really huge and in every single movie trailer for a while

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Better pick up the Flagpole Sitta custom before it's taken down, I guess. And Closing Time.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Better pick up the Flagpole Sitta custom before it's taken down, I guess. And Closing Time.

Flagpole Sitta is WHY I bothered with customs, c'mon son! It was a big deal... a year ago :smug:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Anticipating the day RB4 licenses a song from the 90s with fake stems that are worse than the fake stems in an existing C3 custom of said song.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 4, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I like Sister Hazel.
And Teen Angst (What the World Needs Now).
And Blues Traveler.
And Flagpole Sitta and Stop.

It's me I'm the problem.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Sorry to bring the mood down, but a very, very talented and prolific author, a good guy and one of the very few authors generous enough to actually actively fulfill requests has passed today. Alex, or Super Blooper as he was known, died from cancer, something he managed to keep from us with a dignity I'm not sure I would have had. His brother has posted about it on our forums: if you ever enjoyed a single piece of user generated content, from him or not, please go to our forums and say something to his brother. Thank you.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
Flagpole Sitta is the poo poo. It's one of my favorite customs to play, and it was authored by pksage, so you know it's high quality material.

Kaboobi posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and call right now that Flagpole Sitta has hosed up stems.

For what it's worth, RBN author TriumphantBass said this to me on /r/RockBand:

quote:

I talked with them before. Stems weren't an issue, it was all WMG (or Universal? I'd have to check). They didn't own their older songs, and they were on really bad terms with the label who did.

So maybe there's hope.

farottone posted:

Sorry to bring the mood down, but a very, very talented and prolific author, a good guy and one of the very few authors generous enough to actually actively fulfill requests has passed today. Alex, or Super Blooper as he was known, died from cancer, something he managed to keep from us with a dignity I'm not sure I would have had. His brother has posted about it on our forums: if you ever enjoyed a single piece of user generated content, from him or not, please go to our forums and say something to his brother. Thank you.

Yes, this sucks. I saw that when it popped up on the forums yesterday. There's hardly anything we can say that will truly help, but at least showing appreciation might make a positive impact on his brother, who is also a member on our forums. Sometimes, life sucks.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

TrojanNemo posted:

quote:

I talked with them before. Stems weren't an issue, it was all WMG (or Universal? I'd have to check). They didn't own their older songs, and they were on really bad terms with the label who did.
Remember back when this meant we'd get a re-recording? Shoutout to Devo for undermining the ghouls at WMG.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

After many months, many of my entitlements are now being recognized on the Xbone. AC/DC, RB2 20 Free songs, Doors, RB3 3-pack, etc. Bout time!

Did they ever come up with a way of just hitting a button that says JUST DOWNLOAD ALL MY THINGS or am I gonna have to wade through the Music Store some?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Deathlove posted:

Did they ever come up with a way of just hitting a button that says JUST DOWNLOAD ALL MY THINGS or am I gonna have to wade through the Music Store some?

On Xbone, go into My Games and Apps, press the start/hamburger button on Rock Band 4, then Manage Game.
In there, the ready to download subheading should populate with entitlements.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/785480029706739712

This DLC has got it all*!

*Assuming all you want is vocals

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't know what either of those songs are but I bet I hate them.

Kaboobi posted:

On Xbone, go into My Games and Apps, press the start/hamburger button on Rock Band 4, then Manage Game.
In there, the ready to download subheading should populate with entitlements.

I can vouch that this doesn't 100% work. 95%, maybe. But there are still songs you have to go through the store to grab.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I don't know what either of those songs are but I bet I hate them.

:yeah:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94J_ixvqnis

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

"The world's first bendable guitar!"

:colbert:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Rock Band 3 was the poo poo when I was in college and I'm thinking of getting RB4. The first post is kind of turning me off though. I tried my old 360 instruments out and I know I at least want to get a new guitar as the mic and camera that allow for auto calibration seem to have died in both of mine. Should I just get all new instruments?

I mean, is the game still a fun party game at all? Is it worth it to try to get back into it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Epi Lepi posted:

Rock Band 3 was the poo poo when I was in college and I'm thinking of getting RB4. The first post is kind of turning me off though. I tried my old 360 instruments out and I know I at least want to get a new guitar as the mic and camera that allow for auto calibration seem to have died in both of mine. Should I just get all new instruments?

I mean, is the game still a fun party game at all? Is it worth it to try to get back into it?

It's still the same game, so yeah. In fact I would only recommend RB4 for people like you that have already bought a bunch of songs because the on-disc selection is so awful.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Epi Lepi posted:

Yes, of course it is. Don't listen to our bellyaching.

If you want new instruments you should wait until Rivals (RB4 expansion) launches next Tuesday. It is being bundled with new hardware from new hardware partner PDP after MadCatz imploded.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Epi Lepi posted:

The MadCatz RB4 guitar is great, the drums not so much.
From all accounts I've heard the PDP guitar and drums are both great.

If you just want a new guitar, I'd suggest getting one of the bundles that's releasing next week with Rivals here:

https://www.amazon.com/Rivals-Wirel...ock+band+rivals

You'll get a new guitar, RB4+Rivals expansion, and 12 songs for preordering. And I guess a mail in coupon for a microphone as well?

If you want a new guitar and drums, get this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Band-Rivals-Kit-PlayStation-4/dp/B01IANW0OM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476199218&sr=8-2&keywords=rock+band+rivals

Same as before, but drums and guitar in the box.

Don't get one of the older bundles, the older style drums are not good for rolls and the pedal is wonky, and you won't get the $30 expansion.

Also, if you get it on the same console family you had it on before, all of your DLC will carry over (minus a few entitlements they're still working on) and and exports you did will be available right from the start.

Edit: they've made significant updates to the game since launch, and when the online multiplayer hits "this fall" it'll be basically at parity and then some to RB3, minus RBN, character customization, keys, and pro guitar.

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 11, 2016

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I still don't get it... yeah it's technically more compact, but you aren't left with a flat, "safe" surface on either side, so you're still gonna be stuck finding awkward ways to store it.

Epi Lepi posted:

fwiw, RB4 seems very targeted toward your needs so I'd say go for it. RB4 is for people who used to dig Rock Band and wanna play it on their current-gen console. Many of us nerds who regularly post in the thread have valid reasons for preferring RB3, but they won't apply to most people.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 11, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Epi Lepi posted:

RB4 was designed to be a "fun party game". If you're the sort of person who has strong feelings about awful stems and questionable pop music and the absence of RB3's nearly-perfect feature set then yeah you'll be disappointed by RB4 ("Your RB3 disc still spins so just play that one and enjoy it"), but if you just wanna get up and flap around on plastic instruments and screech into a mic with some friends then it's fine.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Minidust posted:

I still don't get it... yeah it's technically more compact, but you aren't left with a flat, "safe" surface on either side, so you're still gonna be stuck finding awkward ways to store it.

It's not about customer storage. It's about retail shelf space. GameStop and Target (and is Best Buy still a thing?) don't like stocking those massive, awkwardly-shaped boxes.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Also, if you're on Xbox you're gonna need this to use your old guitars and drums anyway: https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Band-Le...ock+band+rivals

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is Rivals going to come with more customization options? Playing dress-up is like, 50% of the appeal of the old RB games.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

precision posted:

Is Rivals going to come with more customization options? Playing dress-up is like, 50% of the appeal of the old RB games.

Totally! If you preorder digitally you get a hamburger shirt and a sword guitar.

(no, they can't afford to pour actual dev time into meaningfully changing the customization system in their broken game that is missing major, non-costmetic features from their last game)

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Kaboobi posted:

The MadCatz RB4 guitar is great, the drums not so much.
From all accounts I've heard the PDP guitar and drums are both great.

If you just want a new guitar, I'd suggest getting one of the bundles that's releasing next week with Rivals here:

https://www.amazon.com/Rivals-Wirel...ock+band+rivals

You'll get a new guitar, RB4+Rivals expansion, and 12 songs for preordering. And I guess a mail in coupon for a microphone as well?

If you want a new guitar and drums, get this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Band-Rivals-Kit-PlayStation-4/dp/B01IANW0OM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476199218&sr=8-2&keywords=rock+band+rivals

Same as before, but drums and guitar in the box.

Don't get one of the older bundles, the older style drums are not good for rolls and the pedal is wonky, and you won't get the $30 expansion.

Also, if you get it on the same console family you had it on before, all of your DLC will carry over (minus a few entitlements they're still working on) and and exports you did will be available right from the start.

Edit: they've made significant updates to the game since launch, and when the online multiplayer hits "this fall" it'll be basically at parity and then some to RB3, minus RBN, character customization, keys, and pro guitar.

Word, thanks, I didn't realize that all the Rivals bundles actually contain the base game too. I think I will prolly get the band kit, it's enough for me and my girlfriend to have fun for now, and then get another guitar later.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Will Rivals let me make a non-stick figure character? I want my fat bass player back.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Will Rivals let me make a non-stick figure character? I want my fat bass player back.

I may have just missed it, but I have not seen anything to indicate that Rivals has any more customization options.

Dammit, a guy who wears that cheeseburger shirt should not be stick-thin.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
To me, the crap character creator was the most ironic part of this.

For months prior to release of the game they had a thread on the HMX forums asking people for "inclusion" ideas - they wanted to make sure everyone felt included....

So people suggested color blind mode, auto-kick, auto-tap, the ability to use the keytar to play guitar for those with muscle control issues (people with this problem actually posted in the thread), concentration mode (black background with note highway), as well as many other things that seemed like great ideas to make as many people feel welcome to play the game.

What did they do? Included ZERO of the suggested features at launch, and since then only have added auto-kick as far as I know...and they made the game LESS INCLUSIVE by making it so you can no longer identify with your character. Oh you're fat? Too bad, stick figure character. Oh, you're short? Too bad, it's a tall stick figure character, etc, etc.

But hey...now it's "masculine" and "feminine" instead of "male" and "female." Yay, HMX is so inclusive!!!

/rant (not really over, I have much more to bitch about regarding this subject, but I think that's enough)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't know man, I'd much rather have them just make more songs than improve a character creator that will never be at the level of detail to satisfy me.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Am I the only person that opened up the customization menu once or twice, went "meh" and then just moved on to playing music on fake plastic instruments

Because that's how I've treated the character creator in every iteration of GH/RB and I feel like I haven't missed out on anything

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
Yeah, I couldn't give less of a gently caress.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I try to represent this view from time to time on /r/rockband as a counterpoint to the constant pleas to devote dev time to expanding the character creator (since HMX look there for community feedback and I don't like them getting just one side), and I'm downvoted to oblivion every time. Somehow it is very unpopular to suggest that limited resources be allocated to non-cosmetic features. Dudes reeeeally want their fat bassists back.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
It's perplexing to me because it's not like I have a lot of time to look at background scenery while I'm rocking the gently caress out. Even when I'm spectating I'm usually looking at the note chart anyway :shrug:

I actually vastly preferred GH:Live's background stuff to watch as a spectator, I'd take that over customizable band any day of the week but I get that's going against the aesthetic of forming a "rock band" in this video game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, obviously if I had to choose "more songs" or "more clothes" I'd pick "more songs", I just don't understand how "more clothes" could even take a non-trivial amount of resources given that the game looks like a PS2 game.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Moundgarden posted:

Am I the only person that opened up the customization menu once or twice, went "meh" and then just moved on to playing music on fake plastic instruments

Because that's how I've treated the character creator in every iteration of GH/RB and I feel like I haven't missed out on anything

I fired this up for the first time the other day after downloading my girlfriends enormous list of entitlements. I went into the creator to remake my ghastly white-haired, red-eyed, spikeleather-adorned black metal parody guy from RB3 and took five seconds looking at the new creator content, or should I say the lack thereof.

:what:

They couldn't even carry over the poo poo from the previous game? Then again judging from what I've read in the last ten pages or so about stemless tracks and atrocious notation, :effort: seems to be the perfect way to sum up RB4.

Despite outwardly being primarily interested in playing metal and rock in games like this, I tend to put my most enthusiastic (especially vocals) performances into goofier/sillier songs like Master Exploder, and cheesing the gently caress out with stuff like Journey and any new wave stuff I remember hearing when I was a wee bairn back in the 80s. I can't get enough of that poo poo.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 12, 2016

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The easiest way to make the character you want in Rock Band 4 is to make it in another video game and then set up a cross-promotion deal

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm expecting flappy-headed Terrance and Philip style stick figures with no clothing options at all in the next installment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Hexenritter posted:

I'm expecting flappy-headed Terrance and Philip style stick figures with no clothing options at all in the next installment.

I'm not expecting a next installment.