Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
And what constitutes a failing grade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moneyball posted:

And what constitutes a failing grade?

Resurrection?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

reddit guy posted:

$200 in credit card payments (I do most of my purchases through credit to take advantage of various cash back offers, and I usually pay much more than the minimum on every card)

At first I thought he was a moron for carrying $8k in credit card debt but nevermind, he gets cash back!

also someone called him out:
I drive a Tesla and live in my parents basement. AMA

His response?
"What you're saying is kind of funny, but I also kind of put a pretty big slice of my life on display here. I know anonymity makes it seem inconsequential, but that's kind of uncool."

He's honestly so oblivious that he can put a big post up detailing his budget in order to see if he can afford a Tesla, but when people undoubtedly tell him he's WAY off base he thinks it's just rude for them to tell him as such. Maybe we should do him a favor and tell him the answer he's looking for rather than the correct one? Like, hey, go ahead, buy that expensive car to park in your parent's driveway. I'm sure they won't mind the continued lack of rent payments while you keep blowing your paltry income on Netflix and your cats.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

You can get a degree in burying corpses?

... what's the homework involve :ohdear:

Chemistry and anatomy. Also business education because it's not just tidying up dead people, you need to run a funeral home and sell caskets/flowers/overpriced jars.

Reddit posted:

In school for Radiology tech with about 3 years left to go. Projected yearly salary on graduation: 50-70k a year

What? There's radiology technician, which is a 2 year associate's/certificate program, then there's radiologic technologist which is a bachelor's with a median pay of about $56k. This person is not making technologist median pay just out of school, even if it is the technologist program instead of technician. The field is shrinking drastically with not enough jobs for experienced technologists and technicians, let alone people without a clue graduating from ITT Tech.

Hulu and Netflix is overkill. How do you watch enough TV while in school to justify having both of those, on top of Audible and Spotify? There are literally not enough hours in the day. If she/he truly goes through at least a book a month, the $15/month Audible option isn't a terrible idea, assuming the public library doesn't have e-books and audiobooks for free. An attempt to cancel Audible outright might also yield a cheaper price; I just did a trial and got 3 months half price when I tried to cancel it.

$120/month for that cellphone is terrible, $49 a month for prepaid is awesome AND untraceable if you're into that sort of thing.

What is "basic" car insurance and how many DUIs does this person have to spend $100/mo on liability for a beater?

$200 in credit card payments? I assume this includes interest since the concept of doing budget spending on the card seems foreign, but when you use your credit card in lieu of a check card, this is not how you do the line-by-line.

Why does this person have pets when living with parents and in school? Why do people think that pets are a need instead of a luxury? You can't help an animal when you become homeless because you are an idiot.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I wouldn't mind having a job as a gravedigger but I'm afraid the hump in my back just isn't large enough to get through the interview process.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, a mortuary degree involves embalming, handling dead people, and selling caskets. I guess it's a high growth industry with all the
Boomers on Death's doorstep - but cremation and industry consolidation can't be helping.

And radiology is a terrible field to get into. We've already got software that can detect cancer better than the best technicians, so the field is only going to become more automated.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Krispy Kareem posted:

And radiology is a terrible field to get into. We've already got software that can detect cancer better than the best technicians, so the field is only going to become more automated.

Rad techs treat cancer patients. Radiologists diagnose cancer.

My wife works on a unit with three other techs, and I don't see that part of cancer treatment changing anytime soon.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

cowofwar posted:

I love people that throw out their expected income in x many years as if it has any meaning. Well sure i owe $300k and blow $50k a year on top of that but I'm in med school and in seven years I'll be making $70k as a resident!

There are well compensated professionals that will die poor having to start their adult career with a mountain of debt between their cars, houses and student debt.

Flippin tell me about it. BWM EAT FASTER!!!!!! edition

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

-everybody, the last 30 years

But seriously radiology is a much, much harder job to automate than almost any other and it's not the low hanging fruit of job automation as a niche subspecialty of medicine, laden with licensure and liability issues that are difficult to foist on a computer.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Aagar posted:

Rad techs treat cancer patients. Radiologists diagnose cancer.

My wife works on a unit with three other techs, and I don't see that part of cancer treatment changing anytime soon.

Rad techs do various diagnostic imaging studies such as x rays and fluoroscopy and assist with various interventional radiology procedures. Radiologists are medical doctors who interpret diagnostic studies and perform procedures. It's more than just cancer but that's a big part of it!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah getting the parameters of the giant death laser exactly right for each individual person so it only hits the cancer and not everything else is still a super-specialized field and won't be automated for quite a while.

Fun Fact: one of the worst software bugs in history involved the Therac-25, a radiation treatment machine that would occasionally gently caress up and deliver hundreds of times more radiation than it should have.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Rad techs do various diagnostic imaging studies such as x rays and fluoroscopy and assist with various interventional radiology procedures. Radiologists are medical doctors who interpret diagnostic studies and perform procedures. It's more than just cancer but that's a big part of it!

Not to mention, you get to call yourself a Rad tech. :c00lbert:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Moneyball posted:

Not to mention, you get to call yourself a Rad tech. :c00lbert:

Still not as good as a Penetration Tester.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Still not as good as a Penetration Tester.

You can call yourself both of those things and then some, if you're so inclined.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Every time I hear someone from outside medicine talk about how bad a job prospect something in medicine is or is not, I make the slowest, most excruciating hand jerk-off motion as I roll my eyes around and around and around and around.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The "automation will kill your job!" refrain is hilarious to me, because this is what's happening in my field(healthcare lab work):

Automation reduces but does not eliminate shortages, retirement crisis is looming as there's a shitload of old people and not enough schools & clinical placements to bring in new blood, chaos reigns.

Also it turns out you still need warm bodies to handle all the automated stuff, because it likes to gently caress up at random and you need someone who knows what they're doing to fix it. There's also stuff where the machines throw up a big ???, meaning you still need a human being around to look at what's going on and interpret it.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 4, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Fine, Rad techs.

Still wouldn't want to be in that field. If the analysis part is automated then that would probably make each Rad tech more productive, requiring fewer of them.

The study I read had software finding like 50% more cancer than the best Rad techs. If those results can be duplicated in a real-world environment then it'll cause some serious change.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Fine, Rad techs.

Still wouldn't want to be in that field. If the analysis part is automated then that would probably make each Rad tech more productive, requiring fewer of them.

The study I read had software finding like 50% more cancer than the best Rad techs. If those results can be duplicated in a real-world environment then it'll cause some serious change.

Oh my God your reading comprehension, do you even move your eyes across the words before you post? Radiology techs are the people who position patients to receive x-rays or cancer treatments or what have you - there is literally no software that can do what they do.

The "study" that you read and think you understood describes how software can assist RADIOLOGISTS (physicians, with medical degrees, who read x-rays or CTs or whatever) to see cancer they would have missed otherwise.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Oh my God your reading comprehension, do you even move your eyes across the words before you post? Radiology techs are the people who position patients to receive x-rays or cancer treatments or what have you - there is literally no software that can do what they do.

The "study" that you read and think you understood describes how software can assist RADIOLOGISTS (physicians, with medical degrees, who read x-rays or CTs or whatever) to see cancer they would have missed otherwise.

I'm just going to double down and say everything is going to be automated. Including my reading comprehension.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Aircraft mechanic guy is funny too because there exists in the US a way to get all of your education paid for and get paid during the training!

I mean, they make you cut your hair but it's the nation's most effective jobs program

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Haifisch posted:

The "automation will kill your job!" refrain is hilarious to me, because this is what's happening in my field(healthcare lab work):

Automation reduces but does not eliminate shortages, retirement crisis is looming as there's a shitload of old people and not enough schools & clinical placements to bring in new blood, chaos reigns.

Also it turns out you still need warm bodies to handle all the automated stuff, because it likes to gently caress up at random and you need someone who knows what they're doing to fix it. There's also stuff where the machines throw up a big ???, meaning you still need a human being around to look at what's going on and interpret it.

Just do what movie theaters did to projectionists and shut everything down while you wait for one of the 5 remaining repair people to come out from the distribution center 100 miles away

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Though I do have a friend who's a pharmacist and they have a prescription-filling robot or something like that and he basically has to re-check every script it fills because it silently fucks up semi-often, including in fun horrible ways that could hurt people. Automation!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Though I do have a friend who's a pharmacist and they have a prescription-filling robot or something like that and he basically has to re-check every script it fills because it silently fucks up semi-often, including in fun horrible ways that could hurt people. Automation!

Oh, that's why a few months back I had aderall generics mixed in with my Wellbutrin which would've been HILARIOUS

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Emphasis mine:

cowofwar posted:

I love people that throw out their expected income in x many years as if it has any meaning. Well sure i owe $300k and blow $50k a year on top of that but I'm in med school and in seven years I'll be making $70k as a resident!

There are well compensated professionals that will die poor having to start their adult career with a mountain of debt between their cars, houses and student debt.

So it's agreed, there's nothing they can do to avoid the debt.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm just going to double down and say everything is going to be automated. Including my reading comprehension.

Ok this was legit funny

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yeah getting the parameters of the giant death laser exactly right for each individual person so it only hits the cancer and not everything else is still a super-specialized field and won't be automated for quite a while.

Fun Fact: one of the worst software bugs in history involved the Therac-25, a radiation treatment machine that would occasionally gently caress up and deliver hundreds of times more radiation than it should have.

To pile on, the doctors that do this are radiation oncologists, not radiologists, but everyone in the world makes the same mistake.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
I am BWM. I have two mortgages through Wells Fargo. Today I learned that I also have at least 1 checking account and two credit cards, that I didnt know I previously had.

JohnGalt fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 4, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

JohnGalt posted:

I am BWM. I have two mortgages through Wells Fargo. Today I learned that I also have at least 1 checking account and two credit cards.

No savings account? That's definitely BWM

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

JohnGalt posted:

I am BWM. I have two mortgages through Wells Fargo. Today I learned that I also have at least 1 checking account and two credit cards, that I didnt know I previously had.

Pretty sure that's actually they-committed-fraud, haven't you followed this thread and/or the news?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

silvergoose posted:

Pretty sure that's actually they-committed-fraud, haven't you followed this thread and/or the news?

I think that's the reference/dark humor

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

SpelledBackwards posted:

Emphasis mine:

So it's agreed, there's nothing they can do to avoid the debt.
Well yeah, you have to live like a [blank] while training to be a [blank]; otherwise no one will hire you.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Eldred posted:

I think that's the reference/dark humor

Just making sure.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

JohnGalt posted:

Wait, for real?

If it's not just a joke - how did you find out? Did they contact you or did you find out on your own?

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Yeah. I just just found out I was impacted today though. In hindsight it makes sense. I had to set up autopay over the phone because every time I tried to login through their website I had to enter a PIN for my account (which confused me for a mortgage). Multiple service reps definitely managed to be completely oblivous to another account being open in my name or did a good job covering.

E: i received an email from wells fargo informing me that my checking account was being closed. I dont have a checking account (to my knowledge) through them. On the phone, 90 minutes later, I find that I also have two credit cards through wells fargo. I asked them to send me documentation of all three accounts so that I have a record of them being opened. I guess there are no fees attributed to any of them, but I imagine my credit score took a small hit by reducing the average age of my credit.

JohnGalt fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 4, 2016

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

JohnGalt posted:

Yeah. I just just found out I was impacted today though. In hindsight it makes sense. I had to set up autopay over the phone because every time I tried to login through their website I had to enter a PIN for my account (which confused me for a mortgage). Multiple service reps definitely managed to be completely oblivous to another account being open in my name or did a good job covering.

It's such a bonkers fraud, it really is. Did you get the accounts closed up?

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

silvergoose posted:

It's such a bonkers fraud, it really is. Did you get the accounts closed up?

Yeah. The service rep asked me "are you sure you dont want to keep the credit cards? They are 1.5% cashback".

Lol, the loving nerve of some people.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JohnGalt posted:

Yeah. The service rep asked me "are you sure you dont want to keep the credit cards? They are 1.5% cashback".

I guarantee that is in their script. A way to limit the hit on all the fraud so they can now say the customer wanted that account after the fact and not have it included in whatever final number they come up with.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

JohnGalt posted:

Call up a class action attorney because there is $$ in your future.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

Call up a class action attorney because there is $$ in your future.

And then he can use that $28 windfall to invest in vintage phone receivers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Any reason to get a police report for identity theft? Might have been Wells Fargo, might have been someone else who opened up those accounts.

• Locked thread