Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

Looking good, but I'm going to say that 15% complete (at least in terms of time) is wildly optimistic when you haven't laid a single plank. :v:

Once you have worked on the planking for a while, I'd be interested in a review of that building slip thing. I've looked at them, but I tend to work with my ships upside down on a towel or on my lap so I can flip them around to whatever position is the most comfortable for what I'm currently doing, so I haven't pulled the trigger on one.

Absolutely optimistic, I'm going by “weekly“ building phases done vs total building phases (this was a weekly partwork once)

I can already tell you, the slip is not worth it, at least not for this build. In the current state there is nothing for the “clamps“ to latch onto, so the whole idea of rotating the entire ship in the slip is out of the window.

It does look nice though.

EDIT:

Train update.

Finished cab roof and left deflector. The cab is not fastened at this point, but simply hung on the boiler for ease of taking the picture.

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PirateDentist posted:

So how long until you're just building tiny ships from historical blueprints and raw lumber?

:v:

"You still buy kits?"

Closer than I expected to be at this point. Once I get a good mill (which is really a luxury and not needed) the only big tools left on my list are a spindle sander, good disc sander and a good scroll saw.

The Cheerful build that I started is a semi-scratch build. I have several kits on the shelf that I want to build, but I have really gotten the itch to do full framed builds, so I will probably do a scratch cross section build next.

Of course this assumes I ever find the time to get back in the shop at all, I think it has been over two months now since I've touched either build I have started.

E: Greyhawk, thanks for the feedback on the slip.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
My housemate bought me a ship model for my birthday last week.

It's not exactly a scale model, and I don't have a clue what real ship it's supposed to represent, but hey, I had fun building it. So, for the lighter side of modelling, I present...

It's Quay kit P048, if anyone cares. Sells for about £10, so I'd say it was worth the fun of building it. It's not high quality, and the kit is a bit twisted. I couldn't get the rear of the hull, or the propellers/rudders, to stay in place properly. If I felt like finding some wood glue and starting again I could probably do a bit better, but hey, for what it is I'm fine with it.

Anyone want to speculate what the aircraft (or indeed the ship) are supposed to be?

Gallery for more: http://imgur.com/a/0xsgo

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

You got farther than me. I had a cute little horse one I wanted to put together with my niece and I broke it before she even got it.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Brovine posted:

Anyone want to speculate what the aircraft (or indeed the ship) are supposed to be?

The superstructure reminds me a heck of a lot of the Nimitz-class, previous and later classes have a different base structure, so I'd say it's probably that. Those might also be F-14s instead of F/A18s, and the others look more like F-4 Phantoms or A-7 Corsairs than A-6s in my view. The helicopters might be an attempt at Seakings, but only using 3 blades instead of 5 for structural reasons. Not like most people building these really go for accuracy.

I might be biased because I built Revell's 1/720 early Nimitz a while back with that loadout. Also, the Nimitz-class is what most people picture when you mention the words "aircraft carrier" in general.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I used to get a ton of those similar wooden kits of dino skeletons as a kid. Definitely one of my favourite presents to get at birthdays or christmas.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The two Hawkeyes are cute.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Smoke posted:

The superstructure reminds me a heck of a lot of the Nimitz-class, previous and later classes have a different base structure, so I'd say it's probably that. Those might also be F-14s instead of F/A18s, and the others look more like F-4 Phantoms or A-7 Corsairs than A-6s in my view. The helicopters might be an attempt at Seakings, but only using 3 blades instead of 5 for structural reasons. Not like most people building these really go for accuracy.

I might be biased because I built Revell's 1/720 early Nimitz a while back with that loadout. Also, the Nimitz-class is what most people picture when you mention the words "aircraft carrier" in general.

Having looked a bit closer, I'm going with Tomcats and Phantoms. I think the helicopters might be very bad Sea Stallions.

A friend is insisting they're UH19s, because it's the only thing with three blades.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

But none of those choppers are made from wood so it can't be any of them beep beeeeep

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Those singletails look like a mutant phantom/skyhawk crossbreed.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Found the picture of the packaging on Amazon and the featured helo is... an H60.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Blackchamber posted:

Found the picture of the packaging on Amazon and the featured helo is... an H60.

My packaging just had a picture of the model, nothing else. Can you show what you found?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Brovine posted:

My packaging just had a picture of the model, nothing else. Can you show what you found?

I saw a bunch of the plain package version but when I started looking for the instructions which they said are available online I found this. I forget what site I pulled it from though (it wasnt the US Amazon, it was one of the other amazons, maybe UK?). Luckily I saved a picture:

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 27, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's been a long time since I worked on my train, took a break almost the whole summer. Not having access to a laser really bummed me out. But the weather is getting lovely and the laser is working so, laser roads!

Oh cool now that picasa is dead and all my poo poo is on google photos I can't link my pictures?? I just get this huge paragraph of garbage that SA doesn't recognise as an image link (some forums do). Anyone use google photos have any advice on how to get a clean .jpg or .png link ?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 27, 2016

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Blackchamber posted:

I saw a bunch of the plain package version but when I started looking for the instructions which they said are available online I found this. I forget what site I pulled it from though (it wasnt the US Amazon, it was one of the other amazons, maybe UK?). Luckily I saved a picture:

Different branding/company, but it looks like the same kit.

On the other hand, that's not a phantom at the top...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baronjutter posted:

It's been a long time since I worked on my train, took a break almost the whole summer. Not having access to a laser really bummed me out. But the weather is getting lovely and the laser is working so, laser roads!

Oh cool now that picasa is dead and all my poo poo is on google photos I can't link my pictures?? I just get this huge paragraph of garbage that SA doesn't recognise as an image link (some forums do). Anyone use google photos have any advice on how to get a clean .jpg or .png link ?

Just make an imgur account and put them there instead.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Imgur is an option, and images I upload to Blogger go on my Google Photos and then I can get proper jpg links from that. You can also upload to your Google Drive.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Brovine posted:

Different branding/company, but it looks like the same kit.

On the other hand, that's not a phantom at the top...

Yeah, those kits are from China originally, easily available on Aliexpress for next to nothing, then simply repackaged by a few dozen companies.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Oh, the other thing I didn't mention about that kit: it didn't come with instructions, as such. It came with a chart of the parts, numbered. You are supposed to find the bits labelled 1, and join them together where the numbers are. Then attach part 2 where it says 2, which may or may not be part of the existing assembly.

There were nearly 180 numbers, even with most of the planes being duplicates with the same number (there are three rotors, all labelled 174, for example.) None of them were logically laid out.

It wasn't til after I finished that I noticed the "see our website for detailed instructions" bit. Ah well!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
My first 1/32 aircraft build can be summed up in 3 words: So. Much. Paint.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Another quick train update. Steaming along here.

Installed another deflector, the cab with roof and floor, the pony truck and prepared the trailing truck.

Though it looks like the steam engine is nearly finished, I'm still only about 2/3rds into the complete build. There'll be a presentation track and the tender and of course the entire sound/light/motion stuff that hasn't been touched at all yet so far.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Gewehr 43 posted:

My first 1/32 aircraft build can be summed up in 3 words: So. Much. Paint.

Which one did you get?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

SkunkDuster posted:

Which one did you get?

Trumpeter TBM-3 Avenger. While it's beefy for a single engine, I appreciate that the B-17G and B-25J in the stash are going to be even bigger drains of time and supplies. I'm about 2-3 weeks out from finishing it and while my work isn't perfect, it has been an awesome experience and I'm kinda hooked on large scale planes.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Gewehr 43 posted:

Trumpeter TBM-3 Avenger. While it's beefy for a single engine, I appreciate that the B-17G and B-25J in the stash are going to be even bigger drains of time and supplies. I'm about 2-3 weeks out from finishing it and while my work isn't perfect, it has been an awesome experience and I'm kinda hooked on large scale planes.

Wait, you got the 1/32 B17? Where the hell do you even put a thing like that?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Good god, man, and I thought that 1/32 F-14 of mine was big...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Unkempt posted:

This is what keeps me away from, say, the 1/72 B-52 Italeri just re-released

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is what keeps me away from, say, the 1/72 B-52 Italeri just re-released

They re-released it? I should pick it up to go with my 1/48 B-1B whenever I get around to building that.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

http://www.italeri.com/scheda.asp?idProdotto=2570

Also this month: confederate soldiers and a Ford Transit mk.2

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Unkempt posted:

They actually engineered a really neat wall mount that clips into the bomb bay. So, it'll probably go on my wall at some point. I'm also watching the development of their B-17E/F kit with excitement too. After some delay, they're expecting it to ship around the end of this month. I'm stupid enough to want to order two... so I can do both an E and an F. But, knowing my relatively short attention span, that may be a pipe dream.

I'm debating on what to start next after the Avenger - which I'd say will probably be done next weekend. I'm leaning towards another 1/32 a/c, but I've got a few in the stash (to say nothing of the pile of 1/35 armor on the shelves too...). I almost want to do a simpler one before diving into something like the B-17 or B-25. I've got the new Revell Germany Me-109G6 and FW-190A8 which may be a nice, simple change. But, the calls of a Trumpeter SBD-4 or Dragon Bf-110 are tough to ignore too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Speaking of big models that you don't know where to put.... An English gentleman by the name of Chris Watton just finished writing up all of the instructions to go with his new Victory model that is going to be produced by Amati. So what you say? There are already a billion different Victory models available. Correct, but this one is extraordinary - it's at 1/64 scale!

Hull length - 1066mm
Overall rigged length - 1582mm!

Still an unknown release date, as they now need to translate all of the instructions (Chris did everything in English, which is good for us, but has to be translated into the Euro languages for them) and get it into production. All the fittings and guns are new castings from masters created by the designer, and includes a bunch of PE for decoration, gratings, etc. 31 full size plan sheets and a 114 page instruction manual (A3 size) containing well over 1000 line drawings and photographs. No idea of the cost yet, but I am sure this will be over $1000.

Chris is now well into the prototype work for a 1/64 scale Prince for Amati now.

Victory prototype, guns are actual castings created from the masters (he made a single master of each cannon type out of brass, Amati created the casting molds and sent back the guns that will actually be in the kit).

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Paint rack question:

I've got a Vallejo paint rack and extra shelf from Gamecraft Miniatures. Their footprint is roughly 370mm wide by 190mm deep. Gamecraft, and their competitors, make small sets of drawers that can go under the rack/shelf combo, allowing for more storage.

Only problem is neither, as far as I can tell, has drawers tall enough to hold Model Masters enamel jars (2.05" tall).

Does anyone know if there's a small set of drawers out there that I can buy which matches the dimensions to hold up the shelves as well as have room for MM enamel?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I managed to find a generic workbench organizer where the MM bottles fit in sideways.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Gewehr 43 posted:

I've got the new Revell Germany Me-109G6 and FW-190A8 which may be a nice, simple change.

Hell yes, son. I just finished the 109, feeling like I'm going to go pick up the 190 today. This is out of the box, except for the radio antenna, which was made out of some wire I found in my basement and some spare nylon suture.

I don't know how to use a camera.
I've almost strictly built in 1/72 so far. Having finished this kit I think really worked on my eye for detail, which I think is a skill I'll be able to take to other scales.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Mister Dog posted:

Hell yes, son. I just finished the 109, feeling like I'm going to go pick up the 190 today. This is out of the box, except for the radio antenna, which was made out of some wire I found in my basement and some spare nylon suture.

I don't know how to use a camera.
I've almost strictly built in 1/72 so far. Having finished this kit I think really worked on my eye for detail, which I think is a skill I'll be able to take to other scales.

Sexy! How was the build? I've always shied away from Revell models because they're not known for their fit. Reviews seem to say these newer offerings from Revell Germany are much better in that regard. Yours looks great, so I'm curious how the build experience was.

The Locator posted:

Speaking of big models that you don't know where to put.... An English gentleman by the name of Chris Watton just finished writing up all of the instructions to go with his new Victory model that is going to be produced by Amati. So what you say? There are already a billion different Victory models available. Correct, but this one is extraordinary - it's at 1/64 scale!

Hull length - 1066mm
Overall rigged length - 1582mm!

Still an unknown release date, as they now need to translate all of the instructions (Chris did everything in English, which is good for us, but has to be translated into the Euro languages for them) and get it into production. All the fittings and guns are new castings from masters created by the designer, and includes a bunch of PE for decoration, gratings, etc. 31 full size plan sheets and a 114 page instruction manual (A3 size) containing well over 1000 line drawings and photographs. No idea of the cost yet, but I am sure this will be over $1000.

Chris is now well into the prototype work for a 1/64 scale Prince for Amati now.

Victory prototype, guns are actual castings created from the masters (he made a single master of each cannon type out of brass, Amati created the casting molds and sent back the guns that will actually be in the kit).

As someone whose never considered touching a ship like that, what kind of time investment would you expect to put into that? I have to imagine that the interior is fairly detailed as well, right? Are we talking years worth of work?

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 3, 2016

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Gewehr 43 posted:

Sexy! How was the build? I've always shied away from Revell models because they're not known for their fit. Reviews seem to say these newer offerings from Revell Germany are much better in that regard. Yours looks great, so I'm curious how the build experience was.

I think there's an important difference between Revell and Revell of Germany in that the former suck rear end and the latter do not. Or maybe Revell kits are just getting better these days. In either case, the fit here was exquisite. Just a smallish gap where the cockpit met the fuselage halves, which was then covered anyway because I closed the cockpit.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Gewehr 43 posted:

As someone whose never considered touching a ship like that, what kind of time investment would you expect to put into that? I have to imagine that the interior is fairly detailed as well, right? Are we talking years worth of work?

For a normal person, 2-5 years depending on how much time you can devote to it.

My much simpler and smaller ship found earlier in this thread took approximately 1200 hours ( estimated, I did not keep a time log ).

I would wild guess that Victory at 4000+ hours depending on how much detail and how fast you work.

Some people that have more patience than I have will spend a decade or more on a large wooden ship model.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Mister Dog posted:

Or maybe Revell kits are just getting better these days.

They are getting better. New Revell kits reach "Tamiya in the 90s" levels of precision. Unfortunately they still tend to repackage old poo poo kits from the 60s and rerelease them as "new".

Re: that Victory. Wow.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

The Locator posted:

For a normal person, 2-5 years depending on how much time you can devote to it.

My much simpler and smaller ship found earlier in this thread took approximately 1200 hours ( estimated, I did not keep a time log ).

I would wild guess that Victory at 4000+ hours depending on how much detail and how fast you work.

Some people that have more patience than I have will spend a decade or more on a large wooden ship model.

This boggles my mind. I was getting all haughty when telling my wife last night that this Avenger has been five whole months ( :smug: ) in the making.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Mister Dog posted:

I think there's an important difference between Revell and Revell of Germany in that the former suck rear end and the latter do not.

Revell of Germany still has the occasional re-re-re-release of an ancient mold they found somewhere in their warehouse(or borrowed from another manufacturer) going on. They've gotten better about it over time and are releasing a decent amount of new/newer molds as well, but I still check reviews and kit history beforehand.

Doesn't help that some of their stuff seems to have a pretty long shelflife too, such as their 1/72 WWI fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Talking of stupidly huge kits, Trumpeter has a 1/48 scale U-Boat coming out.

quote:

The completed kit measures 57" x 18" x 7".