Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

KoB posted:

Acutally its totally ok to use foreign words however the gently caress because language is fluid and it doesnt matter at all if a couple of white women say namaste.

Shh! Tumblr might hear you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My annoyance with the word usage has nothing to do with ~cultural appropriation~ or whatever, it is entirely because you sound like a douche saying "namaste" and similar things as a white man. But if you want to be that guy, at least say the word right and in situations where it makes sense. Like ending a phone call with namaste is just insufferable.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

language is fluid

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Indolent Bastard posted:

So how do I say “I bow to godly/good qualities within you"? What's the approved white guy equivalent?

l8r sk8r

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think Eva Green is an outstanding actress. I'll beeline to see her movies, no matter how little I'm otherwise interested in it, because at the very least I'll walk out thinking she knocked it out of the park.

My pet peeve is that those who know me like to rib me about it, half-in-jest, implying that the only reason I'm watching her movies is because she has a habit of losing her clothes at some point during the runtime.

It's hard to realistically deny it because, well, she does get naked a lot in her movies.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Her best movie is the one with Michael Pitt in France in the 60s. I have never seen it from beginning to end.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

walrusman posted:

Related: tumblr posts (which of course get screenshot and shared everywhere now, so you can't just avoid them) that are clearly some kid who just finished his 10th-grade history midterm and is convinced that he's a ~history nerd~ now. Pretty much everybody and their dog knows the sketchy outline of how WWII went down, the relationships between the involved nations, even the wacky schemes and inventions that both sides cooked up in increasingly desperate attempts to win. It's not "the history fandom," it's knowledge that most of the literate world already possesses. And of course there's always a handful of short, pointless, fawning comments included in the screenshot, worshiping the OP as a blessed oracle of pure wisdom.

>> THIS

It doesn't affect anything in any way but people complaining about historical things in games annoys me like a fly that thinks you owe it money. I'm pretty excited for battlefield 1, a WW1 themed battlefield game, but of course reading the battlefield forums or reading youtube comments there is always plenty of wombats complaining about classes portrayed by black people, and it's always because "there were no black people in that area! blah blah blah", who gives a gently caress if the British didn't employ African soldiers in that particular battle it's a loving game for gods sake. A game with complete historical accuracy around WW1 would be the most boring FPS in history.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tarantula posted:

It doesn't affect anything in any way but people complaining about historical things in games annoys me like a fly that thinks you owe it money. I'm pretty excited for battlefield 1, a WW1 themed battlefield game, but of course reading the battlefield forums or reading youtube comments there is always plenty of wombats complaining about classes portrayed by black people, and it's always because "there were no black people in that area! blah blah blah", who gives a gently caress if the British didn't employ African soldiers in that particular battle it's a loving game for gods sake. A game with complete historical accuracy around WW1 would be the most boring FPS in history.

Your example is less pedantry and more thinly-veiled racism in the guise of ~historical accuracy~ though.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Tarantula posted:

> get in hole
> play cards and smoke cigarettes
> stay in hole for 300 consecutive hours of gameplay
> cutscene of gangrenous foot amputation
> gassed to death in your sleep
> fin

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Tarantula posted:

:ssh: they're racist

My pet peeve is people who only care about historical inaccuracy once they are confronted with anything that doesn't jive with the present hegemony. A white guy playing a samurai or white Egyptians? Fine. Black guy in a Shakespearean play? :byodood: MUH HISTORY

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Why do you want to say that? That's a weird thing to say.
Teri maa ki chut, bhen ke laude.

Customers who get pissy when you refuse to let them just walk away from you with expensive items that are normally locked up. Come on, it's common sense to not let someone do that, especially in a department with a high theft rate. If you wanna take your business elsewhere over it, go ahead. They probably won't let you get away with it either.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 08:38 on Oct 1, 2016

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Road construction. I get that it's both necessary and logistically difficult but goddamn am I getting tired of every bus stop within a quarter mile closing because they have to repave the same goddamn intersection they've been working on for three months.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

docbeard posted:

Road construction. I get that it's both necessary and logistically difficult but goddamn am I getting tired of every bus stop within a quarter mile closing because they have to repave the same goddamn intersection they've been working on for three months.

My city has a street that's been under some form of construction for a couple years now. At one point, over three miles was torn up or grooved. As of now, probably a mile is sub-gravel-road quality rubble and pits with a "bump" sign for maximum lols. Stores along the road have lost over a quarter of their usual business, a couple new places have closed. Neighborhood associations have gotten angry, the paper's gotten angry... idk wtf they're doing but it's killing an entire part of town.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Tarantula posted:

The worst is selective realism complaints, especially in a fantasy world like Skyrim or Game of Thrones. Complaining about a women or black person being in a position of power in a 'Medieval' show, totally ignoring the loving dragons or literal magical spells.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Spalec posted:

The worst is selective realism complaints, especially in a fantasy world like Skyrim or Game of Thrones. Complaining about a women or black person being in a position of power in a 'Medieval' show, totally ignoring the loving dragons or literal magical spells.

The Game of Thrones one is especially dumb because the show actually covers the uphill battle said women needed to go through to get power.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also similar complaints about adaptations of fictional properties. Though sometimes that leads to hilarity like people whining that Idris Elba could never be James Bond because James Bond needs to be English.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Might not be a peeve, but what is up with USPS people leaving packages in driveways? There are a million safer places to put them. I woke up today to a knock at my door saying a housemate accidentally ran over a package of mine today, a GTX 1070, because the postman left it against the garage door. Thankfully they only caught the end of the package and didn't damage anything, but Jesus.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Henchman of Santa posted:

People who write out four-string bass tabs on six lines like a guitar. Also people who upload tabs that just stop in the middle of the song with no mention of the fact that its incomplete.

"the album version is in B standard but I play it in Drop D so here's my tab"

*formatted weird so strings don't line up*

*DOWNLOAD OUR FREE APP!!!*
(Play store opens so you cant view tab, app is actually £8)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

"the album version is in B standard but I play it in Drop D so here's my tab"

*formatted weird so strings don't line up*

*DOWNLOAD OUR FREE APP!!!*
(Play store opens so you cant view tab, app is actually £8)

poo poo, I got a tablet partially so I could view tabs without being in front of my computer, and then I discovered the auto-redirect to the Play store. Probably the angriest I've been in a long while, and it usually takes a lot to really rile me up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I prefer sitting at my computer and playing along so thankfully I've avoided that app issue.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
When the chords aren't above where you need to change chords.

Or when they just type the first three words of the line followed by an ellipsis... even if I know the song really well, while I'm learning to play it, it makes a big difference to not have to think of what words come next!

(Although, I have to admit that if it weren't for folks tabbing out songs, I'd know how to play exactly zero songs).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

DavidAlltheTime posted:

When the chords aren't above where you need to change chords.

Or when they just type the first three words of the line followed by an ellipsis... even if I know the song really well, while I'm learning to play it, it makes a big difference to not have to think of what words come next!

(Although, I have to admit that if it weren't for folks tabbing out songs, I'd know how to play exactly zero songs).

This is all me

Edit: People who delete their facebook comment after saying something infuriatingly stupid, so you can't mock them without looking like a crazy or incredibly bitter person.

gently caress you, aunt Susan.

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Oct 3, 2016

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

lovely restroom behavior by coworkers. Clogging the toilet with a mountain of TP. Pissing all over the seat and floor. Having very private phone conversations while making GBS threads your brains out.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
People who drive super slow in the parking lot. It's obvious that the first two floors are full because it's 8:50 am, you're not going to get a spot so just GO. And stop taking turns at 2mph! There's always one that gets a line of 10 cars behind him. And of course once they get to a floor with plenty of spots they keep going up because they want to be as close to the elevator as possible; they don't want to walk the extra 20 feet from a farther spot.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Work peeve: being dragged into a situation that I have no knowledge of or particular expertise in, because apparently sending me "Hey, can you ask X about this" is easier than sending X "Hey, X, can you tell me about this" or something.

But I guess the alternative is that a certain manager would actually have to do some work, so here we go.

(I actually like my job and my coworkers. Most of the time.)

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Commercials about some emotional thing (say, a cancer drug) where they have a "patient" and at the end they have a medium shot of them sitting and they have this expression of like, I don't know what to call it but their mouth is half smiling and they have these eyes that look kind of weepy but without tears. Anyways the part that pisses me off on top of the aforementioned poo poo is that this "patient" always makes a really slow, obvious swallow like they're ~choking back tears~ it's so fake and forced ugghhjjj I am very ANGRY

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Oct 3, 2016

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

grittyreboot posted:

lovely restroom behavior by coworkers. Clogging the toilet with a mountain of TP. Pissing all over the seat and floor. Having very private phone conversations while making GBS threads your brains out.

Unless the restroom is completely devoid of life, I will never be comfortable making GBS threads at work. Hearing a phone conversation would just make me stop mid turd until it was finally over.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Thin Privilege posted:

Commercials about some emotional thing (say, a cancer drug) where they have a "patient" and at the end they have a medium shot of them sitting and they have this expression of like, I don't know what to call it but their mouth is half smiling and they have these eyes that look kind of weepy but without tears. Anyways the part that pisses me off on top of the aforementioned poo poo is that this "patient" always makes a really slow, obvious swallow like they're ~choking back tears~ it's so fake and forced ugghhjjj I am very ANGRY

There's a set of adverts doing the rounds over here which is about disadvantaged kids being offered support and help, so they can live up to their potential. That's a fantastic initiative but I'm irrationally irritated by the song using a slow, grungy version of Everyone Wants To Rule The World as its backing track. That song is meant to sound happy and perky because the lyrics are being subversive and mocking the sort of people who think of them as literal. :argh:

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
How I want to use Google Street View: see what a neighborhood looks like from the street, scout out potential scenic drives, try to find myself/my car, occasionally look at a Photo Sphere in a country that doesn't have any Street View imagery.

How Google thinks I want to use Street View: look at a Photo Sphere of a highway rest area, look at a Photo Sphere of a parking lot, look at a Photo Sphere of a random public park, see inside a barber shop, maybe look at actual Street View imagery if there's truly nothing else available.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The best part is when it traps you inside a store and the only way to get out is to exit street view altogether.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

YeahTubaMike posted:

In the same vein, people who love books and share memes about loving books, books smelling good, and books that literally everyone had to read in elementary/middle school with "if you get this, you're a REAL book lover" or some dumb poo poo, and how they're better than people who party because they'd rather be at home reading a book, and how every time they're done with a book it's like a member of their family has died.

Bonus points if they literally never talk about anything they're currently reading.

Here's something even worse:

When people tell you what fancy-pants book they're reading as if it makes them better than you. "This is my light summer reading." "Have you seen my light summer reading?" "I always have my light summer reading with me when I travel."

For Gods sake. They're brand new books that still have dust jackets on and have perfect spines. Always hard cover. You clearly haven't read one word. Ooh, you're in the process of pretending to read Raintree County. I'm so impressed.

Bitch! I've got more books in my downstairs bathroom then you have in your house!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think there are annoying people on both sides - the avid non-reader who loves to go on about how the movie/TV show is always better than the book and hasn't read a book since highschool, and on the other end the "I don't even own a TV" stereotype. Just read a book sometimes. Or don't - just don't be a smug rear end in a top hat about it either way. Like if someone asks you if you've ready any _____, just say no and ask them about it instead of getting defensive and saying "I don't read", it's not a quiz, they probably just want to share something about it.

Anyway, re: work bathrooms, the types that freeze up in their stall and go silent whenever anyone else enters are almost as weird as the phone conversation shitters. Yes, I heard you stop mid-rustling of TP and yes I am definitely noticing that you are trying to hide the fact that you're in there. It's making me uncomfortable too, stop it.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Anyway, re: work bathrooms, the types that freeze up in their stall and go silent whenever anyone else enters are almost as weird as the phone conversation shitters. Yes, I heard you stop mid-rustling of TP and yes I am definitely noticing that you are trying to hide the fact that you're in there. It's making me uncomfortable too, stop it.

I wish I could but while I've done well with my social anxiety, that is one step I don't think I'll ever be able to overcome. I'm the most nervous of shitters. :smith:

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Intoluene posted:

I wish I could but while I've done well with my social anxiety, that is one step I don't think I'll ever be able to overcome. I'm the most nervous of shitters. :smith:

I have this too, I feel your pain! I always feel really bad being the poo interrupter too.

Two pet peeves for today: I had a doctor's appointment and was already delayed like an hour coming back to work. Basically as soon as I got onto the bus, buddy the driver pulls over to the side of the road and makes like a 10 minute personal call. Thanks, guy! Now I'm even later!

Second peeve: people are constantly just walking right into me, and I have no idea why. It's so annoying. Usually it's not even because they are on their phone or anything, they have their heads up but still just like barrel into me. Then they act all offended like it was my fault. I'm right here, you gently caress, occupying space as matter tends to do. Happens all the time and I have no idea why!

Edit -- just thought of another one: listening to people who are sick sniffle and cough. It basically somehow makes me feel sick too, so I get this psychosomatic headachy, head-is-swimming kind of feeling for a bit until I can get away and my brain remembers that I'm not actually sick.

genetic_knockout has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Oct 4, 2016

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm at a coffee shop trying to read and this woman has literally been sneezing once every ten seconds. This is not an exaggeration.

Go home, take a shower, lie down.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

genetic_knockout posted:

Second peeve: people are constantly just walking right into me, and I have no idea why. It's so annoying. Usually it's not even because they are on their phone or anything, they have their heads up but still just like barrel into me. Then they act all offended like it was my fault. I'm right here, you gently caress, occupying space as matter tends to do. Happens all the time and I have no idea why!

This happens to me all the time, too! It's like I have a magnetic core that pulls people into me from across the sidewalk or something. Either that or I am actually a ghost and most people cannot see me. :iiam:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My annoyance is parents with those enormous tanks aka double strollers that take up the entire sidewalk and have no consideration of the fact that they're heading towards someone. No slowing down, no acknowledgement whatsoever, it's up to you to step into the road which often means stepping into bike or car traffic briefly where I am. At least follow the convention of following the direction of traffic while you're on the sidewalks. They never do though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

genetic_knockout posted:

Edit -- just thought of another one: listening to people who are sick sniffle and cough. It basically somehow makes me feel sick too, so I get this psychosomatic headachy, head-is-swimming kind of feeling for a bit until I can get away and my brain remembers that I'm not actually sick.
This guy I used to share an office with would once a day, like clockwork, sneeze - in truth it was even worse, he'd suppress a sneeze, but in a maddeningly conspicuous way that involved loudly exhaling - and then blow his nose copiously, sounding like an elephant sucking up custard. Every time he started I wondered if this would be the day I'd finally snap, murder him and bury his nose under the floorboards.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Living

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
Once again I am on the bus and it's giving me more ammo. This bus absolutely loving reeks of dirty, festering, unwashed person. I don't know which of these loving degenerates is causing it, but it's totally unbearable. I'm at the point where I don't care about being polite, I'm just straight up plugging my nose. Showering, people. Do it every day!!