Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SEKCobra posted:

So you were stupid and opened a virus? That's the real joke here.

I did not open the attachment, so no. Saying that, I don't loving trust outlook and its auto preview and its better safe than sorry. Restoring is maybe 20 minutes.

The joke is the employee who sends a virus to his loving boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

So you were stupid and opened a virus? That's the real joke here.
Try reading their post.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sickening posted:

I gave him 30 minutes to find this email. I am already box hunting while my computer restores. I am not trusting outlooks out preview for attachments.
Isn't it possible to turn attachment preview off?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sickening posted:

I did not open the attachment, so no. Saying that, I don't loving trust outlook and its auto preview and its better safe than sorry. Restoring is maybe 20 minutes.

The joke is the employee who sends a virus to his loving boss.

Guess I'll fire the whole department as well as half our clients because I'm scared of giving myself a virus. Gosh I'm glad I don't get sent viruses from outside the org.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When I worked at a call center doing tech support for an online game network one of my guys left to join the internal I.T. department. Not long after he came by to do some sort of work on my workstation, booting it off of a floppy. When he was done my machine would no longer boot. I asked to look at the batch file he ran and it was a format /q /u type of command. He just chuckled and said "Whoops! Wrong batch file!"

His departure from my group was not a loss.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 3, 2016

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Today's lesson is, when some dumbass opens a ticket saying they can't access their email and you tell them to verify their password and they said they did, DO NOT TRUST THEM.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Also pissing me off. Minimum password age.

If I administratively reset the password and force the user to change it to something that ISN'T Password123 on login, why is that still bound by MinPasswordAge :argh: AD

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SEKCobra posted:

Guess I'll fire the whole department as well as half our clients because I'm scared of giving myself a virus. Gosh I'm glad I don't get sent viruses from outside the org.

Is there a reason for your nonsensical poo poo posting today or are we just this lucky?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SeaborneClink posted:

If I administratively reset the password and force the user to change it to something that ISN'T Password123 on login, why is that still bound by MinPasswordAge :argh: AD

This gets really bad for the one or two people here who forget their password a lot.

"Ok, I'm setting a temporary password for you. Go ahead and log in with Summer123 - hang on, we've used that already. OK use August123 - poo poo. No wait. Um.. let's do Augustmonday123 then."

SEKCobra posted:

what the hell are you talking about. He's an administrator on the network and doesn't trust Outlook, so he's doing a 20 minute computer restore. Sounds like a pretty good "better safe than sorry" policy. Then he chided his employee for making some stupid poo poo up about a policy statement asking people to send viruses around internally. He's not firing anybody and not firing clients and you're kind of an idiot.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 3, 2016

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Once again, Dynamics NAV.

Today it's because it's both inventory entry time AND end-of-month data entry time and everyone and their sister across the company is trying to get in.

But they don't shell out the loving $3,000 per or whatever their pricing is for enough licenses for everyone in the company to work at once, so I'm frozen out while everyone else is doing their thing.

You'll spend thousands in gas and hotels gallivanting around the state to micromanage your GMs but you won't put it into actual usability you cheap fucks :argh:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
[quote=" post="464925917""]
[/quote]

poo poo pissing me off is coming g from INSIDE THE THREAD!

Build WordPress infrastructure for marketing.

:eng101: want me to set up WordPress?
:agesilaus: nooooo. We hired the best WordPress consultants to set this up for us. Dont touch it!
:eng101: okay. Just be sure they follow our best practices. Security will be monitoring. Here's the list of practices that must be followed.

[Two weeks pass]

:cop: hey that WordPress site was hacked. They guessed the admin password of "letmein123"

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
10 character alphanumeric, what's wrong with it? :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Remember that "Password123!" is valid under most commonly used complexity requirements.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why I put the exclamation point at the beginning. They'll never figure that out.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'd love to implement an AD password system that automatically records and expires the first password new users enter.

"Oh this password that you undoubtedly use for everything else? You're not using it here. Pick something else."

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'd love to implement an AD password system that automatically records and expires the first password new users enter.

"Oh this password that you undoubtedly use for everything else? You're not using it here. Pick something else."

Hah, I have 2 standard passwords I use for everything, so I'd just use the other one!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Include that same password with the number 1 replaced with every combo up to 100 at the end too. Password[1-100], etc.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

SeaborneClink posted:

I see your minimum age, and raise you lock out attempts.
We have a new guy in accounting who needs to use the direct debit payment system which you only get one or two chances max for a correct login, he's only been here a week and already locked himself out four loving times.

Also a strange request came from marketing, in that they needed to transfer a file via SFTP. I did inquire why the hell they want to do that and what are they sending, it was a single CSV file that they felt E-mail and services like Wetransfer weren't secure enough :shrug:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sickening posted:

He is also a security major.
We disagreed on security concern and instead of moving on he decided to go over my head and my bosses to an executive who doesn't know anything about IT and got him in a panic
My boss immediately prepared a box for me to deliver to him for his belongings but I was able to talk out of it after quite a bit of effort.

I have no clue what it is that causes new awakened IT minds to be so reckless.

Long story short? New kid with exciting new toy that they want to play with to "see what happens", like a toddler with a shiny new toy. I've dealt with the same, if nothing else just hold on to the box your boss gave you as a warning - basically let him know that you saved his rear end from being fired, this will never happen again, and that was his one get-out-of-trouble-free card.

flosofl posted:

What's that quote?

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes doing 70 on the freeway"

Whenever I hear this I picture how anyone would have done this like 40-50 years ago with those big honkin' washer/dryer sized hard drives. Just a convoy of 8 trucks filled with drives, total capacity of like 32MB

Sormus posted:

Let me tell you where you can find your G Suite.

On males it will be located up your arse.

Aw c'mon missed a perfect "G Suite is in the A Hole" delivery

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 3, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I go back to my office and there is a sticky note on the door:

"see me when you get back"

Okay. I see you Mr.Sticky note! Oh the writer? Well they didn't sign their name. No new email, no missed calls, no voice mail, nothing is even yellow in monitoring.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pixaal posted:

I go back to my office and there is a sticky note on the door:

"see me when you get back"

Okay. I see you Mr.Sticky note! Oh the writer? Well they didn't sign their name. No new email, no missed calls, no voice mail, nothing is even yellow in monitoring.

The Janitor would like to see you now, this is the 5rd time you've clogged the women's toilet in the last month.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Trastion posted:

Include that same password with the number 1 replaced with every combo up to 100 at the end too. Password[1-100], etc.

One benefit is that your max password age is 30 days, it's easy to work out how long you've been at the company (as long as you know your twelve times tables)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm doing a sweep of our second HQ after a coworker resigned. The place was a magic black box, shrouded in secrecy up until now- he refused to share any details. I knew it was bad, I just truly was not expect it to be THIS bad.

2006 HP EVA FC storage system running contract critical storage (8TB. lol)
2007 HP MSL FC tape library LTO-4 running critical backups
2006 C7000 chassis running critical accounting services
Cisco 9509 FC switch- unresponsive to console, but chugging along none the less
U360 SCSI hdd's in two machines related to the EVA SAN
Multiple Failed HDD's in variety of servers
Raid 0 arrays as OS drives.
Random firewalls, switches, severs, that have been long migrated off and are still racked+powered
More failed batteries in UPS's then good ones- most with 11' dates
Netapp Filer that won't allow you to console in running production data
Entire racks dedicated to 1-2 pieces of gear, because I've got the space why the hell not?
Only 1 in 20 devices are under contract/support.

And more and more and more...
This is after FOUR 20FT box trucks hauled away the ewaste collection of P4's, CRT's, 3 racks of Hitachi storage, etc etc.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 5, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Foreword: HP doesn't supply the BIN files required for updating BIOS from the BIOS for these units, only a Windows installer.

Me: Hi HP chat support, we have a laptop with a dead system fan that is under warranty and needs to be sent to the depot for repair.
HP: Can you please update the BIOS first.
Me: No I will not boot a laptop with a dead fan to Windows and start running programs, especially ones that update the BIOS, when it is likely that the unit will either BSOD or straight thermal shutdown in the process.

Mondays, man.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 3, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
:byodame: OK BUT IF THE BIOS CAUSED THE FAN TO FAIL WE WILL CHARGE YOU $300 PLUS SHIPPING DO YOU ACCEPT?!?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sheep posted:

Foreword: HP doesn't supply the BIN files required for updating BIOS from the BIOS for these units, only a Windows installer.

Me: Hi HP chat support, we have a laptop with a dead system fan that is under warranty and needs to be sent to the depot for repair.
Me: No I will not boot a laptop with a dead fan to Windows and start running programs, especially ones that update the BIOS, when it is likely that the unit will either BSOD or straight thermal shutdown in the process.

Mondays, man.

Use 7-zip to extract the bin from their lovely sp666420.exe file?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sheep posted:

Mondays, man.
Is this your first time downloading software or firmware updates from HP's website before

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Feeling kinda lovely for getting into a bit of a heated discussion with my boss over our role in reporting on employee internet browsing histories today. We got a request from a manager that her two employees were apartment hunting and visiting their bank's websites on work time and could we send her their browsing histories. Ticket closed, take this up with HR. 10min later the HR lady walks in and parrots the request. I verbally remind her of our policy that we don't provide this information unless there is a serious documented incident that warrants it. So she goes back to her office and submits another ticket with all the exact same information.

I go and talk to my boss about it, citing our policy. I don't feel 'apartment hunting and banking on work time' is legitimate enough reason to provide this information. I see it as a management problem not a technology issue. Maybe I'm being naive but providing browsing history and conversation logs makes me feel quite uncomfortable. I'm of the opinion that you can browse the internet and do whatever the gently caress you want (within reason, obv) as long as you are being productive and getting your job done. If your manager doesn't like it that you're apartment hunting on work time they should take steps to correct that without using IT as the boogieman. Am I being just wildly unrealistic? My boss feels that if HR or the CEO brings us a request, no matter how much we disagree we have to honor it. He believes they dictate technology policy to us and not the other way around. I guess I don't agree, not a hundred percent anyway. At about that point is when it started to get heated since lately he seems to take me to challenging him as a personal offense, but that's for another post at another time.

I don't think I'm going to win this one, and now that I'm writing this out it's hard for me to justify my stance when our acceptable use policy states all user activity is monitored and users shouldn't expect to have any privacy on our network. Posting to vent and to see what other goons have set up for policies and procedures in their environments related to user monitoring.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Sirotan posted:

Feeling kinda lovely for getting into a bit of a heated discussion with my boss over our role in reporting on employee internet browsing histories today. We got a request from a manager that her two employees were apartment hunting and visiting their bank's websites on work time and could we send her their browsing histories. Ticket closed, take this up with HR. 10min later the HR lady walks in and parrots the request. I verbally remind her of our policy that we don't provide this information unless there is a serious documented incident that warrants it. So she goes back to her office and submits another ticket with all the exact same information.

I go and talk to my boss about it, citing our policy. I don't feel 'apartment hunting and banking on work time' is legitimate enough reason to provide this information. I see it as a management problem not a technology issue. Maybe I'm being naive but providing browsing history and conversation logs makes me feel quite uncomfortable. I'm of the opinion that you can browse the internet and do whatever the gently caress you want (within reason, obv) as long as you are being productive and getting your job done. If your manager doesn't like it that you're apartment hunting on work time they should take steps to correct that without using IT as the boogieman. Am I being just wildly unrealistic? My boss feels that if HR or the CEO brings us a request, no matter how much we disagree we have to honor it. He believes they dictate technology policy to us and not the other way around. I guess I don't agree, not a hundred percent anyway. At about that point is when it started to get heated since lately he seems to take me to challenging him as a personal offense, but that's for another post at another time.

I don't think I'm going to win this one, and now that I'm writing this out it's hard for me to justify my stance when our acceptable use policy states all user activity is monitored and users shouldn't expect to have any privacy on our network. Posting to vent and to see what other goons have set up for policies and procedures in their environments related to user monitoring.

I wouldn't even question it. You don't own that information, you're just supporting the business that needs it. Whether or not it's fair isn't for you to decide.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Sirotan posted:

Why is your web traffic not proxied or logged elsewhere than the desktop controlled by the user?

Edit: also this:

milk milk lemonade posted:

I wouldn't even question it. You don't own that information, you're just supporting the business that needs it. Whether or not it's fair isn't for you to decide.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

quote:

My boss feels that if HR or the CEO brings us a request, no matter how much we disagree we have to honor it
Yup.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

mewse posted:

Use 7-zip to extract the bin from their lovely sp666420.exe file?

gently caress I wish they'd mention that in the RTF - the only upgrade options noted in the documentation are from Windows using HPBIOSUPDREC or via System Software Manager.

Sirotan posted:

My boss feels that if HR or the CEO brings us a request, no matter how much we disagree we have to honor it.

Well at least now you have a very clear indication of where reality ends and management begins.

Anyways to answer your question we put in the acceptable use policy that we monitor traffic, but we don't really bother logging it extensively because we don't care. As you put it, if people are browsing whatever unauthorized site then that's a management and not IT issue. About the only situation where we'd actually go and pull lists of sites would be where legal made the request.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 4, 2016

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Really depends on the policy. If the policy spells out it can only be accessed in certain situations then it is right to push back citing the policy.
If it just says serious issues and someone high up decides it is a serious issue then it is ok to query but in the end you still do it if asked.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

Sirotan posted:

I see it as a management problem not a technology issue.

I agree this is a management problem. As a manager, if I have to step on someone's neck for breaking policy I want every bit of information I can get about the situation. That would include browsing history in something like this.

As an IT nerd, I don't believe it's my place to draw lines in the sand about what's a proper use of information. That's a management decision.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
You can probably bet your lunch money HR had a hand in that policy, so if they're asking it's probably time to give the info up.

Not trying to make you feel bad or anything Sirotan - I think being principled is a good thing. You gotta play the politics game sometimes though. Save your capital for something worthwhile. Fighting the good fight for people who are violating your AUP (however innocuous their actions are or how stupid your company is being) isn't a great hill to die on. Save that for PCI violations and bad password policies and new equipment.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It is good to have a conscience. It will not get much use at work.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Welp. I guess that's that then.

We (IT) actually came up with that policy and it is not very well documented. Also yes we have a centralized way of monitoring, the manager just asked for browser history since she probably doesn't know any better. Which also tells me we've done a bad job at communicating policy.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 4, 2016

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Also poo poo that pisses me off: currently have an old battery stuck in an APC UPS at a client site. Should have been the simplest thing ever but that poo poo is stuck. No amount of yanking the gently caress out of it helped. Anyone ever seen this? Do I need some pliers or something?

Also this same client had four 2 TB Seagate loving SATA drives in a RAID 5 array. Surprise surprise one of them failed and naturally brought them to a screeching halt when the config got all hosed up cause who the gently caress doesn't have both of their DCs on the same RAID 5 array. At least the important one is back up (is a DC + runs tons of random apps like OpenFire cause why not) but I am literally missing a VM for the other DC and it happens to hold all the FSMO roles. Good news is I think they're ready to accept proposals for reworking their environment haha

mewse
May 2, 2006

milk milk lemonade posted:

Also poo poo that pisses me off: currently have an old battery stuck in an APC UPS at a client site. Should have been the simplest thing ever but that poo poo is stuck. No amount of yanking the gently caress out of it helped. Anyone ever seen this? Do I need some pliers or something?

The batteries bulge when they get really old, you will have to force it out or replace the whole unit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

mewse posted:

The batteries bulge when they get really old, you will have to force it out or replace the whole unit

Spray it down liberally with some PB Blaster