Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Unkempt posted:

Talking of stupidly huge kits, Trumpeter has a 1/48 scale U-Boat coming out.

Ahem... pardon me whilst I fap myself raw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Unkempt posted:

Talking of stupidly huge kits, Trumpeter has a 1/48 scale U-Boat coming out.

Cool. I remember someone posting pictures of when that was unveiled (one of the photo's in that link). Now we get to see the price too!

If I was into plastic, I'd get that for sure because I'm stupid like that. :shepspends:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
One of my friends is into modding miniature cars and getting into competitive model car hopping (not really sure what it's call - it mainly involves taking broken pieces of umbrellas and little motors out of old kids' toys, and then hopping them so they preferably hover at the nadir of the hop for longer than anyone else. it takes a lot of finesse and trial and error), and I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what I could look for to get him for a christmas present..?

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcFYoetqdCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0ZEttLlq1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oypF0tZHQZo

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 6, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Wait, there are actual competitions? This is a weird adult version of those finger skateboards.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

I love it.

Coincidentally the multimedia F14 got its extending legs too today.

Though they're still finger powered at this point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DUsk2IpKlU

Also finished 20% of the building phases of the Soleil Royal. The upper half of the hull was faired and I've started putting up the gun port templates. The actual planking will then be fixed on top of these. I also made a whole bunch of gratings.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Finished! After 5 months, I'm finally done with the Trumpeter 1/32 Avenger (a.k.a. So. Much. Paint). It's not perfect, but I'm really happy with it. What a great kit to dive into the realm of 1/32 kits. When I started it back in June, it was the only 1/32 aircraft I had. Now I have six, including the B-17, B-25, and a few others. Anyway, the pictures kind of suck because it's enormous and hard to find a place to take proper photos. My usual backdrop methods fail for something with a 20" wingspan.

Imgur Album Here

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Absolutely beautiful, man! Seriously nice work on that kit.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I was told to post this here:
The other day i did a small kitesurf diorama i did as a commission. Scale is H0 or 1:87 because of readily available parts. The kite lines are 0.3mm steel wire and the whole thing is self supporting.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
That looks amazing!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Gewehr 43 posted:

Finished! After 5 months, I'm finally done with the Trumpeter 1/32 Avenger (a.k.a. So. Much. Paint).

That is some amazing work!

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Thanks for the compliments, guys! I'm already off and running on the Me-109 kit that Mister Dog recommended. Is an entertaining contrast, the interior of the Avenger took about 4-6 weeks to construct. I finished building the cockpit for the 109 in an hour. It's now primed and ready for painting. I'm hoping to be done with the whole kit in the time it took me to build just the guts of the TBM. :stare:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Bistromatic posted:

The other day i did a small kitesurf diorama i did as a commission. Scale is H0 or 1:87 because of readily available parts. The kite lines are 0.3mm steel wire and the whole thing is self supporting.

Love this. What's the water made from?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks! For the water i used resin as the base, slightly tinted with acrylics. Then sculpted the waves on top of that with Liquitex Gloss Super Heavy Gel and used the same stuff with a bit of white paint for the foam.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Finished this quick little figure from the MiniArt Soviet jeep crew kit. It's much better sculpted than the Trumpeter take on the same subject matter (which I probably should have painted alongside this one, but oh well). Good fit, lots of subtle detail, but the rifle in my kit was cracked on the sprue so I had to use one from another kit.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Bistromatic posted:

Wow. Lots of finesse there! I hope to do something so good, your water is great.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Finished this quick little figure from the MiniArt Soviet jeep crew kit. It's much better sculpted than the Trumpeter take on the same subject matter (which I probably should have painted alongside this one, but oh well). Good fit, lots of subtle detail, but the rifle in my kit was cracked on the sprue so I had to use one from another kit.

You're improving leaps and bounds Ensign! That bannerlady looks really good. Having fun with the airbrush?

I've been finishing my next diorama, it's the first time I use water and results have been nice but not perfect. Most of the flora is real, taken from a park near home.

It's the Messy Desk Battletech Locust, painted as a McCarron's Armored Cavalry mech. I really like the Soviet white stripes over green livery, so I sort of copied it over the mech.

As usual, there is lots of crap all over the desk.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, the airbrush is fantastic, it was a very good investment.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sparq posted:

I've been finishing my next diorama, it's the first time I use water and results have been nice but not perfect. Most of the flora is real, taken from a park near home.

It's the Messy Desk Battletech Locust, painted as a McCarron's Armored Cavalry mech. I really like the Soviet white stripes over green livery, so I sort of copied it over the mech.

As usual, there is lots of crap all over the desk.
gently caress Big Mac :colbert:

I mean, nicely done, but srsly, gently caress that imaginary guy.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Bistromatic posted:

Dude that water is so freakin nice, awesome job.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
It's a long shot, but has anyone built the newer Fujimi J1N1 Gekko that has the Rabule theme? I want to know whether it has the remote controlled turrets modelable or not.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Finally got back into working on my choo choo by building this intersection. I wish I was better at painting...

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

jadebullet posted:

It's a long shot, but has anyone built the newer Fujimi J1N1 Gekko that has the Rabule theme? I want to know whether it has the remote controlled turrets modelable or not.

From looking at the instructions scanned on 1999.co.jp it does have the dorsal guns (step 4) on the 1/72 scale kit.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bistromatic posted:

Like I said on FB during the WIP mate but this looks fantastic. Well done.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Baronjutter posted:

Finally got back into working on my choo choo by building this intersection. I wish I was better at painting...

The scale modeller in me likes what you've done. The railway engineer in me baulks at how you are going to be able to protect that crossing (in theory).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's a tram line don't worry

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's showing some promise of being a decent city scene.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Some work in progress of a small Mr Hyde bust I'm working on:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Baronjutter posted:

It's showing some promise of being a decent city scene.

Love the bike lanes. Were you the one that was saying how a bunch of greybeard modelers were giving you poo poo about those?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sparq posted:

Where's this kit from? I'd love to build some giant robots that aren't gundam.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

beep-beep car is go posted:

Love the bike lanes. Were you the one that was saying how a bunch of greybeard modelers were giving you poo poo about those?

Hey, hey. It was the greybeard model train dudes, not the greybeard modelers.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Yooper posted:

Where's this kit from? I'd love to build some giant robots that aren't gundam.

http://scott-messydesk.blogspot.com.es/

http://battlemechclub.blogspot.com.es/p/marketplace_25.html

You'll have to buy them when they come, they have short online runs.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I've finished building the RoG Bf-109G-6 in less time than it took to put the Avenger's engine together. I mean I've got a little filling to do here and there, and of course the antennas to stick on after painting, but jesus. :stare:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Mister Dog posted:

Hell yes, son. I just finished the 109, feeling like I'm going to go pick up the 190 today. This is out of the box, except for the radio antenna, which was made out of some wire I found in my basement and some spare nylon suture.

I don't know how to use a camera.
I've almost strictly built in 1/72 so far. Having finished this kit I think really worked on my eye for detail, which I think is a skill I'll be able to take to other scales.

Double posting to ask... any chance you have the early canopy parts lying around. Parts 56 and 57. I see you used the late canopy on yours and I need the early canopy. Something went awry when I dipped them in future today. They turned all cloudy and crusty and I don't even... either way my early canopy parts are wrecked. Still got yours around? Willing to sell, trade, whatever?

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Gewehr 43 posted:

Double posting to ask... any chance you have the early canopy parts lying around. Parts 56 and 57. I see you used the late canopy on yours and I need the early canopy. Something went awry when I dipped them in future today. They turned all cloudy and crusty and I don't even... either way my early canopy parts are wrecked. Still got yours around? Willing to sell, trade, whatever?
All I've got left on the clear sprue is 55 and 59. Not a clue what happened to the rest. I can get those to you if they're of some use. Gonna need some pics of dat Gustav tho.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Mister Dog posted:

All I've got left on the clear sprue is 55 and 59. Not a clue what happened to the rest. I can get those to you if they're of some use. Gonna need some pics of dat Gustav tho.

Thanks, man. Nah, the ones I need are 56 and 57. The early, birdcage canopy and its accompanying rear part. After sanding, buffing, and polishing, I might be able to salvage the existing canopy pieces. Just wish I knew what the hell happened. Worst case, I can either just use the late canopy (though the rest of the options have been built as an early model) or just buy another instance of the ~$20 kit and plan to build the late version if I build it again. I'd be absolutely livid if this was the Avenger or something more expensive, but at ~$20, I'm not too twisted about a less-than-perfect canopy.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I'm a double-postin' fool these days.

I just got a tube of Perfect Plastic Putty in today. Holy poo poo, what a game changer. Previously, I'd been working with Squadron white or Milliput putties. You squeeze a little of the P3 into a seam, scrape the excess off with a spatula, then take a swipe with a moist cotton swab. Done. I filled the cracks on 3 rather poorly-assembled 1/35 figures last night in maybe 5 minutes, tops. They were primed and ready for painting within a half an hour of cracking the P3 tube.

I am absolutely done with Squadron and Milliput for crack/seam filling.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, P3 is great stuff. It's my go-to now for medium cracks. The fact that it's no-odor as well is just the cherry on the top of the sundae.

Tiny cracks I still use Mr Hobby Liquid Putty, and very large cracks I use Aves Apoxie Clay.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I definitely could have used this as I'm now just about a month into puttying, sanding, puttying, sanding, etc an F1 model. Thanks for the tip!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Making some more tiny streets, sorry about the blurry pictures I don't know why they turned out that way.

Here's how the whole area looks. The sidewalks aren't glued since I want to paint them separately first of course.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TINY DRAINS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TINY DRAINS FOR TINY TRAINS :3: