Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

BUG JUG posted:

i cannot wait for Minnesota's first POTUS.
I'd take Franken or Feingold(WI, I know).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Seriously what the hell even us UPI

I went to their homepage and are they a newspaper or blog or what

conservative version of AP/Reuters iirc.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

I can't even watch. Disgusting.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I cannot wait to see how much ground game matters this time.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

DaveWoo posted:

Well, it's true that her approval rating goes up when she's not directly in the political spotlight; I don't know if that will necessarily apply if/when she becomes President, though.

Oh, I'd assumed her approval went up while in office because she gets more airtime and the conspiracy nuts get less. Doesn't she?

(I'm English so I don't see much of your media, and Hillary-hatred is a bit of a mystery to me. I deplore some of her political decisions, but when I actually listen to her I find it hard not to warm to her.)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Not letting this stay at the bottom of the page.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If this isn't proof of voter fraud, then nothing will be!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh dear me posted:

Oh, I'd assumed her approval went up while in office because she gets more airtime and the conspiracy nuts get less. Doesn't she?
lol if you think senators ever get air time outside of election years

lol if you think the public even knows what a secretary of state does

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I thought the neighbors to the north were done with this poo poo?? No?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Clinton taking no chances with Florida. Good. Lock up Florida and Trump's victory goes from extremely unlikely to literally impossible.

Hopefully the ground game is enough to make Rubio lose too but it seems unlikely.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its also worth noting that Carly Fiorina is depicted as a man to make her seem strong and Biden is depicted as a woman to make him seem weak

People say that every time that cartoon is posted, but if you look, he gave Fiorina a narrower butt to indicate the graceful feminine haunch of the lady conservative

RevKrule posted:

Diamond Joe has weighed in about the PTSD comments and to say he's not pleased is an understatement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS0nZt1Rtps

Jesus christ, Diamond Joe made me burst into tears. "How many times does that kid go to sleep?"

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Diamond Joe has weighed in about the PTSD comments and to say he's not pleased is an understatement.

holy poo poo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BUG JUG posted:

conservative version of AP/Reuters iirc.

Yeah, the Moonies bought them out after they bought the Washington Times.

UPI used to be just another wire service, but after that there's a lot of conservative influence on what they put out.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

holy gently caress :stare:

this election is going to be one hell of a case study on the effects of GOTV efforts

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

RevKrule posted:

:smithicide:

only joey b could be charitable enough to bring out the "he's not trying to be mean, he's just seriously uninformed" when he's an incandescent ball of rage

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

RevKrule posted:

Man from the replies so far I cannot wait to listen to this on the way home from work. Stupid proxy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Clinton taking no chances with Florida. Good. Lock up Florida and Trump's victory goes from extremely unlikely to literally impossible.

Hopefully the ground game is enough to make Rubio lose too but it seems unlikely.

Fun fact: If Clinton wins Florida, Pennsylvania, and one other state, she's won.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
So Indiana just got slapped, along with Mike Pence. Pence is not allowed to bar money from going towards Syrian refugees being resettled in Indiana.

A victory for human decency :unsmith:

quote:

Before he was Donald Trump's vice-presidential pick, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence (R) took a politically popular, if legally questionable, stand: There would be no Syrian refugees resettled in his state, not after the attacks in Paris last fall carried out in part by Islamist terrorists who masqueraded as Syrian migrants.

On the day before the vice-presidential debate, his biggest moment as Trump's running mate, Pence's stand on Syrian refugees received a likely fatal blow: A federal appeals court ruled Monday that Pence has no legal authority to stop the resettlement of these refugees in Indiana.

In fact, the three-judge panel — all Republican appointees — said Pence's directive preventing money from going toward resettling Syrian refugees amounted to "discrimination" and was based on "nightmare speculation."

The news comes the day before Pence faces off against Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.), Hillary Clinton's running mate, in the only vice-presidential debate. Pence's gubernatorial office did not immediately respond to a request for comment. In the past, Pence has said that preventing Syrians from resettling in the state is a safety issue, given that screening from war-torn countries is difficult.

The court definitely did not see it that way. Here's a key passage from its ruling (which you can read in full here):

He argues that his policy of excluding Syrian refugees is based not on nationality and thus is not discriminatory, but is based solely on the threat he thinks they pose to the safety of residents of Indiana. But that’s the equivalent of his saying (not that he does say) that he wants to forbid black people to settle in Indiana not because they’re black but because he’s afraid of them, and since race is therefore not his motive he isn’t discriminating. But that of course would be racial discrimination, just as his targeting Syrian refugees is discrimination on the basis of nationality.

The court went on to say:

The governor of Indiana believes, though without evidence, that some of these persons were sent to Syria by ISIS to engage in terrorism and now wish to infiltrate the United States in order to commit terrorist acts here. No evidence of this belief has been presented, however; it is nightmare speculation.

In short, the legality of Pence's decision to block Syrian refugees from Indiana wasn't a close call for the judicial branch: It's not legal.

In an added dose of embarrassment for Pence, one of the judges who ruled against him Monday is on Trump's Supreme Court shortlist. Judge Diane Sykes is someone the GOP presidential nominee has said might be a conservative "just like Justice Scalia," the late justice whose seat remains unfilled. Sykes made Trump's list of 11 possible choices he made public in May (it has since nearly doubled).

Pence's Syrian refugee saga started last spring, when he joined about 30 other governors, almost all of them Republican, in trying to keep out of their states the estimated 10,000 Syrian refugees President Obama wanted to resettle.

Refugee resettlement and legal experts immediately questioned the viability of the governors' stance: Federal law says the president, not governors, has the power to decide which refugees come into the country and how many.

And while many of those governors' promises to keep Syrian refugees out — in some cases, "even 5-year-old orphans" — fizzled, Pence's directive stayed in the spotlight. The American Civil Liberties Union and a private refugee resettlement group in the state, Exodus Refugee Immigration, sued Pence. Pence's team was forced to try to defend his directive, and the lawsuit made Indiana a test case in the debate over Syrian refugees.

The intrigue over his legal showdown heightened when Trump picked Pence as his running mate in July. Trump has called for a temporary ban on Muslims and/or people from countries with a history of terrorism. A few days after accepting Trump's offer, Pence used his decision to block Syrian refugees on CBS's "60 Minutes" as a talking point for the campaign's get-tough-on-terrorism message.

"We have no higher priority than the safety and security of the people of this country," he told CBS's Lesley Stahl.

But in August, The Washington Post's Katie Zezima traveled to Indianapolis and found that despite Pence's ban, 140 Syrian refugees had since resettled in the state, with more on the way.

"You can’t pick and choose who comes to your state,” Cole Varga, executive director of Exodus Refugee Immigration, told Zezima.

Apparently the courts agree.

Monday's circuit court ruling affirmed a lower court's ruling. If Pence wanted to appeal the decision, he'd have to appeal to the Supreme Court. Precedent suggests that the court would be unlikely to pick this case up, given that there has been no disagreement among the lower courts.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
There is something about a self-proclaimed Christian wanting to turn away people in need

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
NIGHTMARE SPECULATION

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Man. The Twitter comments on that Florida registration thing are so salty.

How many of them are illegals/dead?

I'm so glad we're going to win this one.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Florida had just under 8.5 million voters participate in 2012, that's an insane number of new registrations.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Night10194 posted:

Fun fact: If Clinton wins Florida, Pennsylvania, and one other state, she's won.

pretty sure that's not true:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There is something about a self-proclaimed Christian wanting to turn away people in need

I despise nothing more than Pence's sort of Christian and I hope a genuine man of faith like Kaine shits on him hard tomorrow.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

fishmech posted:

Yeah, the Moonies bought them out after they bought the Washington Times.

UPI used to be just another wire service, but after that there's a lot of conservative influence on what they put out.
Last time I wanted to read one of their stupid articles they made me take a survey. They haven't made a profit in years.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Countdown to that appearing on Drudge unironically in ten...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BUG JUG posted:

:lol:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BUG JUG posted:

I have been owned

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I don't know if he'll be ready for 2024, but I'm fully expecting to vote for Cory Booker at some point.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

RevKrule posted:

I cried, my father-in-law thinks im a nut now.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

He said 20 suicides a month and then immediately followed by calling Trump uninformed. It's 22 per DAY.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

He said 20 suicides a month and then immediately followed by calling Trump uninformed. It's 22 per DAY.

Well that's loving horrible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Looking forward to the wet fart that is the Wikileaks info tomorrow. It's 10AM Berlin time right? Some word on Reddit is its "proof" that Obama fixed the primary for Hillary. So expect a leaked email from loving January from some Obama staffer saying how the President is looking forward to supporting Hillary in the Fall or some absolutely innocent thing like that.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 4, 2016

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

BUG JUG posted:

if we reach this chaos timeline where Florida, Pennsylvania and Alaska are the three best states in the union then I would eagerly welcome President Trump's inevitable nuclear war

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Yea I caught that too. I have to believe that Joe would be happy to admit the error, regardless as to why, whereas Trump had to be pedantic and argue with someone in a town hall setting.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

support our troops by defunding the not working VA.:bahgawd:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

I never gave two shits about Biden till he was VP and god do I love that man.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/783029423335415809

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/783076604473843712

That 400 pound hacker sure is busy these days

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Well that's loving horrible.

Im a vet with friends who have killed themselves and I had too look it up to belive it.

"In 2013, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs released a study that covered suicides from 1999 to 2010, which showed that roughly 22 veterans were committing suicide per day, or one every 65 minutes."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_veteran_suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

come on guys I got a press conference in 12 hours - Julian Assange

• Locked thread