Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Reminder that C9 went 3-0 first week, 0-4 second week last year.

I really don't like the format of the second week. The support staff for each team has 2 days to reevaluate the meta and any specific tendencies of each opponent. If you misread that at all, you get rolled because you don't have any time to regroup. I think that giving teams the night to process the game that was just played is a more healthy, exciting way to plow through groups.

That said, I think that the difference between NA this year and NA last year is notable enough that the trend could finally buck. Balls, Hai, Dyrus, and Lustboy were all liabilities that were replaced with better players immediately afterward. C9 can play more than one comp that gets solved after the intermission, and CLG really bought into their clean macro play. The support staves for all 3 teams are solid imo, so there's an actual chance of playing smarter than their opponents in week 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

AttackBacon posted:

2. I don't focus on League enough to really suss out what effect putting so much gold into the support costs the team (like, does it delay key power spikes on other champs and how you would play around that) but ANX sure is fun to watch.

The reason why Brand and Zyra support work is because they're both control mages with relatively inbuilt damage (Brand's %health, Zyra's plants scaling based on level). Even if Likkrit hadn't been padding his KDA, he's still dealing a whole bunch of damage during teamfights by sole virtue of being Brand. The downside to running one of them is the lack of a Locket/Mikael's and no way besides Exhaust or overwhelming damage to stop an assassin or a diver from blowing up your ADC, but G2's comp had neither, which is probably why they felt safe running it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

Reminder that C9 went 3-0 first week, 0-4 second week last year.

I really don't like the format of the second week. The support staff for each team has 2 days to reevaluate the meta and any specific tendencies of each opponent. If you misread that at all, you get rolled because you don't have any time to regroup. I think that giving teams the night to process the game that was just played is a more healthy, exciting way to plow through groups.

That said, I think that the difference between NA this year and NA last year is notable enough that the trend could finally buck. Balls, Hai, Dyrus, and Lustboy were all liabilities that were replaced with better players immediately afterward. C9 can play more than one comp that gets solved after the intermission, and CLG really bought into their clean macro play. The support staves for all 3 teams are solid imo, so there's an actual chance of playing smarter than their opponents in week 2.

The NA teams last year were all much weaker than this year. A collapse is still possible but TSM especially is far better than last year, and Impact/Meteos/Smoothie is significantly better than Balls/Hai/Lemon.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm willing to chalk up a lot of TSM's shakiness this week to Bjergsen's horrible throat disease. I expect them to do a lot better in week 2 when they have his shotcalling back on the table.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Shadow225 posted:

1. This is a good point.

2. Let's talk about how the meta is shaping up so far.

It seems like Sol is going to be a must-ban. Syndra also seems to be a high priority midlane pick, and, not surprisingly, most teams aren't keen on giving Nidalee. Karma seems to be an interesting go-to support pick as well and has a high pick/ban percentage. I'm a bit surprised by the reliance on Rek'sai, who I thought might be out of the meta due to the 11 or so nerfs the champ has gotten.

e: in the top lane, Rumble and Kennen are the obvious go-to picks with nothing else really working out that well. Poppy seems like it's possible situationally, and while Jayce is clearly good again, it doesn't seem like teams really know how to play with him yet.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 3, 2016

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Sexpansion posted:

In less important news, I'm really torn on what Worlds summoner icon to buy. Honestly I'm an SKT fan but I feel like that's a really common one that lots of people will have. I think I might buy the Albus Nox one because no one else is going to and they are an entertaining team. And also it will be hilarious to have the icon of the 14th best team at worlds (only slightly better than INTZ and CLG, of course).

Important update on this: I bought the SKT icon and haven't won a game since, I think I've lost like six games in a row. FU kkoma.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

AttackBacon posted:

Lee Sin being meta is extremely my poo poo.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Sexpansion posted:

1. This is a good point.

2. Let's talk about how the meta is shaping up so far.

It seems like Sol is going to be a must-ban. Syndra also seems to be a high priority midlane pick, and, not surprisingly, most teams aren't keen on giving Nidalee. Karma seems to be an interesting go-to support pick as well and has a high pick/ban percentage. I'm a bit surprised by the reliance on Rek'sai, who I thought might be out of the meta due to the 11 or so nerfs the champ has gotten.

e: in the top lane, Rumble and Kennen are the obvious go-to picks with nothing else really working out that well. Poppy seems like it's possible situationally, and while Jayce is clearly good again, it doesn't seem like teams really know how to play with him yet.

I'm at work, so I can't do extensive research. Here's some random thoughts I'd like to bounce around.
1. I'm not sure Sol is a MUST BAN against anyone except Huhi. I feel like Sol hasn't just dominated games, Huhi excepted.
2. Karma is probably picked because of the prevalence of Cass and whatever teams were trying to force with Skarner. I feel like I keep seeing the Sivir/Karma/run fast comp with Cass, but may just be confirmation bias.
3. I would like to see the winrates on IBG Ez versus TF Ez. I feel like he's being picked so much because teams want to macro/cheese with super roaming supports. I've been seeing a lot of cows wandering around the pasture.
4. If you want to rock C9, ban Syndra, and then either target Meteos or force Impact onto a tank somehow. It's really obvious they depend on Impact winning on his island and Jensen's Syndra. Sneaky also has a tendency to just split and take tower while stuff is going on elsewhere on the map. Maybe try to cluster some people mid, lure him into soloing the tower while Smoothie rotates up, then send your jungle plus someone else to punish him.
5. Darshan still can't team fight, so force him onto a tank, Xmithie on a skillshot champ like Nid, and/or Huhi off a waveclear mid. Bot lane is safeish, with aphro getting a bit cocky and taking too much damage from roaming. You want to divert your attention either top or mid, probably in favor of camping Darshan.
6. Liftlift and Biofrost seem really uncomfortable, so focus all of your resources there.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Huhi is prime example of that player that hard-carries on one champion and is clueless on the rest so banning his Aurelion Sol is a great way of curbing CLG. Bjergsen was also playing Syndra a lot since coming to NA as a pocket pick so that's another champion you should probably ban out from him since it's a comfort pick AND strong in meta. Anyone not banning those champions against NA just isn't doing their homework.

Lastly, always leave up Lee Sin and ban out the other junglers. The worst Meteos can do is slowly walk behind your team so just keep wards up :v:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Sexpansion posted:

while Jayce is clearly good again, it doesn't seem like teams really know how to play with him yet.

One of the casters brought up a good point about Jayce not really fitting in the pro top lane meta too well because even though he's strong he's not someone that you especially want off in a side lane with teleport, but rather you want him grouped up with the team sieging around objectives.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Crazy Larry posted:

One of the casters brought up a good point about Jayce not really fitting in the pro top lane meta too well because even though he's strong he's not someone that you especially want off in a side lane with teleport, but rather you want him grouped up with the team sieging around objectives.

This is a good point. Maybe he would fit better with a splitpushing midlaner who can take tp, although there aren't many of those in the meta right now. Maybe a Jayce/Ryze comp could work well.

e:

Work Friend Keven posted:

Jayce should clearly be mid with a rumble top. Just my opinion.

That makes a lot of sense to me.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 3, 2016

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Jayce should clearly be mid with a rumble top. Just my opinion.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah, what's wrong with putting Jayce mid? Keep in mind I haven't actually played the game in quite some time.

I feel like you should be able to slot him in where you can slot in say, a Varus mid. He'd also fit in a GOTTAGOFAST comp with Sivir and Karma. Are you crazy if you try to take TP on a mid right now?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Lastly, always leave up Lee Sin and ban out the other junglers. The worst Meteos can do is slowly walk behind your team so just keep wards up :v:

So your C9 target bans would be Syndra, Zac, and what else?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
gnar or rumble

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

Yeah, what's wrong with putting Jayce mid? Keep in mind I haven't actually played the game in quite some time.

My suspicion is that he just gets dumpstered by the most popular midlaners (Varus, Syndra, AS, Cass, Malz) because all of them have harass that bypasses the creepline, whereas he doesn't.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

Elise, Kennan, Rumble, (is Viktor still played), or just open up your own strategy.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Typical Pubbie posted:

If C9 is red side you can force them into banning Syndra or first pick it, so Zac & Elise and then Rumble/Kennen/Gnar depending on which matchup you want in top. It doesn't matter a whole, whole lot of Jensen gets a favorable matchup if you've forced Meteos on an uncomfortable jungler; he seems to just be clueless if he's not playing Zac or Elise and farms instead of ganks.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Vermain posted:

My suspicion is that he just gets dumpstered by the most popular midlaners (Varus, Syndra, AS, Cass, Malz) because all of them have harass that bypasses the creepline, whereas he doesn't.

You can ignore them and farm safely for the most part

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
The problem with Jayce mid is if you get behind you'll never get ahead, never get a well-paying job, never do anything right, etc..

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

YancyQ posted:

The problem with Jayce mid is if you get behind you'll never get ahead, never get a well-paying job, never do anything right, etc..
this wasn't going to happen anyway

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

rylais gets purchased on any champ who can because the slow on it is outrageous and makes it very easy to catch and kill someone if they're even a little out of position. its the common theme for all of the ap mids that have been busted in the past six months

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I had to watch all of Sunday's games today because of obligations yesterday.

Week 1 observations:

1) Karma
Super sick of budget support Karma rushing a Ruby Sightstone, sitting on a rank 1 blue dagger, building a Locket and not doing jack loving poo poo all game. Why pick Karma to build like that? Why would anyone do that? I was so happy to see Albus Nox Luna smashed the loving poo poo out of that with Support Brand who actually rushed support gold item generation and had the budget to do a goddamn thing in a team fight.

2) Ezreal
He's is 5-9 (35% win rate) and pairing him with a IBG with budget Karma is loving maddening. That's like the lowest possible threat bot lane you can run in the entire roster of champions in the game. How are pro coaches thinking that's a good set of options to run out of the bot lane? It's insane. Here's the loving breakdown to let you know how bad this is:

Shadow225 posted:

I would like to see the winrates on IBG Ez versus TF Ez. I feel like he's being picked so much because teams want to macro/cheese with super roaming supports. I've been seeing a lot of cows wandering around the pasture.

Triforce Ezreal is 3-1
Sneaky (5-0-5) over I May
Kobbe (5-2-7) (still a great score) in loss to TSM
Uzi (10-0-4) vs Splyce in probably the most digusting dominating game of the tournament besides loving Huhi Sol
Bang (6-1-3) over Cloud 9

Triforce Ezreal summation:
26-3-18 over 4 games on 4 different players

Iceborn Ezreal is 2-8 :barf:
Holy gently caress is Iceborn Ezreal bad.

3) Orianna

How Rude posted:

Why are all the pros building Rylai's on Ori after getting the Morellonomicon? I feel like her shockwaves are wet-fart levels of damage if you don't get the Deathcap or Void Staff straight away midgame so why even bother taking her.

My question is why the gently caress is anyone playing Orianna? She's not a power pick. She hasn't been a meta pick for all of season 6. She looks like a dusty old tome of mages from a bygone era. She has none of the power budget that newer reworked mages have. I don't get it. She's 1-3 in this tournament and the only game she looked good in was the one where Jensen stalled for a century.

4) Cassiopeia
Blind picking Cassiopeia is stupid as hell. It always has been, it always will be. Cassiopeia is something you 5th pick when you are sure you can protect it and it can't be dove into oblivion. If you pick it first rotation you deserve the world of hurt about to be delivered upon you. What's up Faker, how does the dirt taste?

5) Alistar
He's the only support with a positive win rate in the entire tournament. Since no one is running tanks for some reason, having a support tank who can hard engage a fight for your retarded AOE wombo team is perfect. He's 8-1 this tournament on 89% win rate. He should be top priority for almost any team unless the pro meta shifts in week 2 to something other than what we are seeing out of the Top/Jungle/Support roles.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Nobody buys death cap because its too expensive, has too many parts, and isnt good before like your 4th item. Fyi.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Mean While Ry lighs is 100 ap, lets you build a giants belt in lane phase as a mid laner, and gives you an aoe 40% slow every time you sneeze or fart.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I think the ali win rate is a more a coincidence than anything, not that his flash q isn't strong or anything but the game he lost shows you what it's like to be behind on the cow after his ult got dumpstered. There's a reason the pro support meta rotated around him and it's not because something awful forum's poster libertine knows more than the coaches. I think he'll be a decent to strong pick for the rest of the tournament but will probably not see anywhere near as good of a showing as he had week 1.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

The best comp in the tournament is banning all the junglers and picking a jungler that hasnt been played competitively in four years - skarner, olaf and nocturne are good starts but I think the udyr and chogath picks are the under rated gems we'll see hit the bright light s of summoners rift in week 2.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Mean While Ry lighs is 100 ap, lets you build a giants belt in lane phase as a mid laner, and gives you an aoe 40% slow every time you sneeze or fart.

The only weird part about this to me is slows don't stack anymore and a lot of the champs I've seen build it already have a slow, i feel like there must be something wrong with costs and itemization here when ori wants to build rylai's on top of her w. It feels like it's supposed to be an item used by mid laners who don't naturally have it's passive and i can't imagine it's gonna stay as is for long when it's consistently built by people who just want the stats.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

There's a reason the pro support meta rotated around him and it's not because something awful forum's poster libertine knows more than the coaches.

Libertine posted:

5) Alistar
He's 8-1 this tournament on 89% win rate.

hmmm but it seems as though winning coaches do in fact agree with forums poster libertine

The best comp in the tournament is banning all the junglers and picking a jungler that hasnt been played competitively in four years - skarner, olaf and nocturne are good starts but I think the udyr and chogath picks are the under rated gems we'll see hit the bright light s of summoners rift in week 2.

I wish winning coaches would also agree with forums poster keven. Elise, reksai, and nidalee should be deleted from the game.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Typical Pubbie posted:

hmmm but it seems as though winning coaches do in fact agree with forums poster libertine
As i said I think the game ali did lose was a pretty strong showing of why he fell out of the common picks and I believe as the tourney goes on his winrate will look much more reasonable. It's a pretty small sample size so far so it's pretty much up in the air. There are reasons he wasn't busted out much this summer.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Rylai's is obviously one of the strongest items in the game. In response to that fact, allow me to play Orianna, a champion who has literally zero synergy with the item, and requires a build from two seasons ago that has been made vastly less economical in order to function, and then I will lose the game.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it's pretty insane how everyone's been ignoring attack speed jungle morgana

stump collector
May 28, 2007
forums poster libertine has an agenda against karma and iceborne gauntlet ezreal and it's frankly disgusting

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
what about tank top karma with iceborn gauntlet??

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

stump collector posted:

forums poster libertine has an agenda against karma and iceborne gauntlet ezreal and it's frankly disgusting

More like the same caliber of people who decided ibg ez was a good idea thought ali was, that one has gone well and the other has gone poorly is likely more happenstance of a single week of games than any broad statement about their viability.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

More like the same caliber of people who decided ibg ez was a good idea thought ali was, that one has gone well and the other has gone poorly is likely more happenstance of a single week of games than any broad statement about their viability.

Even more than that, an expensive-rear end Triforce is a much more attractive proposition when you're already way ahead (as in the Uzi game there).

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

blah_blah posted:

Even more than that, an expensive-rear end Triforce is a much more attractive proposition when you're already way ahead (as in the Uzi game there).

It's an attractive proposition in that you want your ADC to do damage and it does damage. Iceborn Gauntlet is an unattractive proposition because you want your ADC to do damage and it does not do damage.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

you're all wrong, ezreal should be going sheen -> revolver -> hextech gunblade -> lich bane

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Heelo guy from every aram ive ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

forums poster libertine, there's no way you know more than coaches. for instance, c9 banning nidalee against bengi was actually good, because the coaches. a mere lay person couldn't understand that while bengi has literally never played a pro game of nidalee, something or other, and thats a fact, jack

• Locked thread