Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i have no face and am just a pair of enormous rotund breasts that scuttle around on countless tiny legs, in addition i am a solar robot who converts biowaste to small textured cubes of astonishing beauty and grace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
are you also a majestic space duck this is important

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Alaois posted:

im glad the conversation is now on overwatch, a game troposphere definitely created herself
i've seen no evidence to the contrary

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Colon Semicolon posted:

are you also a majestic space duck this is important
don't you gently caress with me i have friends in high places and i'll have you stripped

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am ashes

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

mutata posted:

Hey, everyone PM me what you think about Elsa.

lol dick

it bothers me that it bothered me okay

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
God this thread blows.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
:agreed:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

InevitableCheese posted:

God this thread blows.

Couldn't you have given that chicken bigger breasts? :colbert:

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

neonnoodle posted:

Couldn't you have given that chicken bigger breasts? :colbert:

I prefer organic farm fed breasts.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GreatJob posted:

Thanks for being reasonable in response to my comments. I only wanted to share the story I got from looking at your character while I had no other context to why she was dressed up that way, as a design critique rather than a taste critique. I'm glad you're considering other subjects as well. Alongside a woman in reasonable armor, you might also consider a ridiculous oversexualized Vallejo-ish man for your next subject so you can practice idealized men's anatomy in pinup form, or! Whatever keeps you drawing and is fun, since you mention you're just getting back into practice. :unsmith:

One last thing thing to try: Work only in grayscale at first, then toss an Overlay layer on top to apply colors afterwards. It simplifies a lot of lighting and focus issues before they spiral out of control. Just keep going, not everything has to be a big piece, you can keep the momentum up by doing sketches and noodling with brushes too. Get your money's worth out of the tablet.

Heh, I did make it in greyscale first with the colours added later as overlay layers, here's an earlier version when it was still in greyscale: . (it makes it real easy to do shading and highlights with the dodge and burn tools when the pic is in greyscale)
I really wanted to add more filigree or embossing style details to the armour, but I was afraid it would take me forever and/or end up beyond my skills at this point, so I didn't do as much as I'd have liked with it in the end, but in that earlier version you can see where I never really came up with anything better between it and the final version :smith:

And yeah, the muscley Vallejo men are why I wanted to do a muscley woman - he's done a few well-muscled women in his pieces, but in most of his work the men are ripped and the women are soft and delicate; there's a severe shortage of women in fantasy art who look as tough and capable as the men; they're almost inevitably playboy models with a few bits of random armour tossed on, but without the physique to suggest they do anything more strenuous than pose for artists. I may do some males soon, but I kinda want to fill in some glaring shortages I keep coming across in fantasy art: women that don't look like they're strong enough to swing a sword, and lack of people of colour (i.e. it's all way too white).

gmc9987 posted:

I don't use the overlay trick for colors, but after I get the initial composition worked out I like to create a half transparent layer set to multiply and very roughly draw out the shading over the whole piece. In the end I pick different colors for the shadows and refine them a lot, but that first shadow layer really helps keep me consistent with my light sources. I put an example below so you can see how I plan out my lighting, and how the finished piece turned out.

Also what GreatJob said, draw what makes drawing fun to you, but don't be afraid to try more difficult things because challenge is good.

I am drawing 31 witches this month. Here's the first one.

I may try something using your method soon, it's always good to try different methods and techniques to see if something clicks for you better than what you are already doing. I like that witch piece, I'll have to check out the rest of them as they come out.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 3, 2016

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
boop

Someone mentioned Tracer's hand should be lowered on Widowmaker's back. I agreed, it was bothering me how the hand placement made Widowmaker appear to have a three-segment spine like the Worms from MIB. Her spine is signature though, so after moving the hand down I'm satisfied with it again.

I'm open to suggestions for this. I know I got defensive about the face / hair sketch thing, and I promise it was just not something I meant to edit in the first place. If you see something to crit in this let me know. There might be a reason I've made it that way though, and I'll explain myself when that's the case.

drawn critiques are always extra appreciated.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 4, 2016

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

gmc9987 posted:

I don't use the overlay trick for colors, but after I get the initial composition worked out I like to create a half transparent layer set to multiply and very roughly draw out the shading over the whole piece. In the end I pick different colors for the shadows and refine them a lot, but that first shadow layer really helps keep me consistent with my light sources. I put an example below so you can see how I plan out my lighting, and how the finished piece turned out.

Also what GreatJob said, draw what makes drawing fun to you, but don't be afraid to try more difficult things because challenge is good.

I am drawing 31 witches this month. Here's the first one.

I like your witch and your lighting technique. Please post more witches as you do them

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

I like your witch and your lighting technique. Please post more witches as you do them

Thanks! here's yesterday's witch, the prompt was "Urban Witch."

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Hey Elsa. Like, 10 pages back we were talking about possible RAM and SSDs and such things. Just so happens I'm upgrading. Is there another way to contact you and have at the pedantic tech support nonsense?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Scribblehatch posted:

Hey Elsa. Like, 10 pages back we were talking about possible RAM and SSDs and such things. Just so happens I'm upgrading. Is there another way to contact you and have at the pedantic tech support nonsense?

I assume you mean not involving a computer since that's being worked on

I will upgdrade to platinum when I get home from class and pm you my number. five or so hours from now.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
A couple illustrations from last year for Magic the Gathering that were released this year.

Wood Elves

Stitcher's Graft

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Vagabond Witch took a hit in quality because it's harder to carve out time for these when it's not the weekend.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

When the really good art starts getting posted, that's when everyone goes quiet as a church mouse.

And it's very, very good.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Beelzebub posted:

A couple illustrations from last year for Magic the Gathering that were released this year.

Wood Elves

Stitcher's Graft

This is rad as hell

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Scribblehatch posted:

When the really good art starts getting posted, that's when everyone goes quiet as a church mouse.

And it's very, very good.

everyone goes as quiet as you do when someone actually demands you respond to their questions.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
your questions aren't exactly good ones tbh

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Goodbye good art hello again debates

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I want art why is there no art
I'd post art but i spent three days away from home so i ain't got poo poo.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

I pixeled and colored Crap's dog. I forgot to clean up a couple of lines but it's not enough for me to want to go back over it.

Edit: poo poo I forgot to add the breasts

InevitableCheese fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 4, 2016

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Colon Semicolon posted:

I want art why is there no art
Oh, there can be a bit more.

This was right before my hard drive started acting up.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Good dog.

Witch 4 of 31 - Garden Witch.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

That's cute but the problem is you should use different brush settings maybe

Where there's crap there's usually Troposphere and I was curious what she thought of the Widow x Tracer pic. Sherwood be nice to hear from her. Looking back the initial sketch I posted was very bland and obviously didn't convey what I saw in it. Two days later and not a post :shrug:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Elsa posted:

That's cute but the problem is you should use different brush settings maybe

Where there's crap there's usually Troposphere and I was curious what she thought of the Widow x Tracer pic. Sherwood be nice to hear from her. Looking back the initial sketch I posted was very bland and obviously didn't convey what I saw in it. Two days later and not a post :shrug:

I've been busy playing overwatch :cool:

I like it my dude. some anatomy probs but like, it's widowmaker so...it's acceptable for her to have wacky spine issues

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Go to page 13 of this thread.

See if you notice anything familiar.

;)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Troposphere posted:

I've been busy playing overwatch :cool:

I like it my dude. some anatomy probs but like, it's widowmaker so...it's acceptable for her to have wacky spine issues

I was tempted to ask why the person on the right in that pic was breaking the spine of the person on the left. That's like Liefeldian bad spine anatomy.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I hear ya. I'll try some things. I haven't committed to anything yet.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
little known fact, french people's bones are actually made out of jelly

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Lol everyone knows her spine is jacked though. To me it looks like her official model is missing a vertebra or two. Perhaps I've made the opposite mistake and added an extra.

Is this better?

HotCanadianChick posted:

That's like Liefeldian bad spine anatomy.

lol holy poo poo gently caress you

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 5, 2016

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Liefeld doesn't even know how to draw backs much less a woman or feet

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

Elsa posted:

Where there's crap there's usually Troposphere

i'm my own person

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
You are your own wife

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm having a hard time getting what Tracer is doing. Is the idea she is pushing Widowmaker back or is she pulling her closer because it kinda just looks like She's awkwardly propping her up based on how she's holding her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
It's a generic pinup pose they usually don't make any sense much like why either of those characters are okay beyond troposphere is horny for them