Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I honestly liked Mafia II a lot, not enough to want to replay it, but I have good memories of it. Looking forward to this, if it turns out well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The Mafia series has suffered from problems in the past, but they've been inconsistent problems. Mafia 1 had crummy graphics and some pretty lovely AI (even for back then), while Mafia 2 was just cut to ribbons to sell DLC, and some platforms got buggy releases. That's why it's hard to say exactly what could be wrong with 3, but no studio puts an embargo that hard in place without a seriously good reason. Especially 2k, who are usually really good about getting review copies out, which just makes it more suspicious.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
This game is probably gonna be bad but I'm a sucker for gta like games. All those games have horrible AI so I'm not worried about that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Waiting for the reviews, crossing my fingers and hoping it won't be that buggy. But then again, not pre-ordered and super hyped so eh.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The Mafia series has suffered from problems in the past, but they've been inconsistent problems. Mafia 1 had crummy graphics and some pretty lovely AI (even for back then), while Mafia 2 was just cut to ribbons to sell DLC, and some platforms got buggy releases. That's why it's hard to say exactly what could be wrong with 3, but no studio puts an embargo that hard in place without a seriously good reason. Especially 2k, who are usually really good about getting review copies out, which just makes it more suspicious.

They've only ever shown like 3 of the 10 districts in the game, which leads me to believe it's going to be the same gameplay loop we've seen, ballooned to like a dozen more hours of it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Joe Gillian posted:

They've only ever shown like 3 of the 10 districts in the game, which leads me to believe it's going to be the same gameplay loop we've seen, ballooned to like a dozen more hours of it.

Well yeah that's every open world game

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i hope this game is good, rather than bad

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Afraid of Audio posted:

:eyepop:

What the gently caress, dude.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Afraid of Audio posted:

A controversial opinion to be sure.

Having not followed this game at all since it was announced and everyone was dwelling on the race of the main character I really have no vested interest in this being a flop or not.

I hope it will be good so that I have a good game to play - because as flawed as Mafia II was I still found it fun and would like more - but if it sucks I can just wait until it's heavily discounted and give it a spin then.

Really I just want a decent, compelling story and some fun missions and/or side missions.

It doesn't need to be GTA V and a half.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Well yeah that's every open world game

True. I personally am creative enough when playing most decent open world games to wring the most fun out of them. This one seems to make crafting the best "one-take" murderbinge its low-key focus, and I can dig that at some level.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Well, I bought this friday because GMG had it for dirt cheap and I remember early buzz being good. Now it might be bad? Oh well. Never played a Mafia game before, those tired old italian mob cliches are boring as gently caress, this looks at the very least different enough to be worth a try.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Seems to me that the only negatives will be the graphics, the AI, and the repetitive side stuff.

I'm hearing good buzz about gameplay, driving, atmosphere, world design, and story.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm mostly just in this to murder klansmen.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

:yeah:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

this and its a crime story that for once isnt sucking off the Mafia and acting like they are these honorable thieves who helped the oppressed and family and stupid poo poo like that. they were a bunch of stupid sociopathic monsters, just watch the goodfellas. If i can go BJ Blaskowitz on some dumb Goomba adulterious murderous gently caress and their klansmen friends. thats a + in my book

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this and its a crime story that for once isnt sucking off the Mafia and acting like they are these honorable thieves who helped the oppressed and family and stupid poo poo like that. they were a bunch of stupid sociopathic monsters, just watch the goodfellas. If i can go BJ Blaskowitz on some dumb Goomba adulterious murderous gently caress and their klansmen friends. thats a + in my book

None of the Mafia games have glorified the mafia

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I didnt mean the games. i ment alot of crime media in general. the mafia games have always been good about showing how poo poo they are.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Mafia 1 is one of my favourite games of all time, but for me Mafia 2 was a big disappointment. Didn't even bother to finish the game. Really hope this is a return to form of the first. The music, story and tone of the first game was so good.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

:same:

Gonna grip and rip that M79

Gas up the fuckin' party popper

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

:same:

Gonna grip and rip that M79

Gas up the fuckin' party popper

drat, that looks like vietnam gameplay. both people are in uniform.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

drat, that looks like vietnam gameplay. both people are in uniform.

Pretty sure that's Apocalypse Now.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
This thread is a tad depressing.

"Sure, the game has reported issues, there's a review embargo and Mafia 2 was iffy at best and had been cut to ribbons for DLC purposes but omg i get to kill Klansmen take my money take it take all my cash."

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

you know it's also just possible to wait until the reviews hit

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Nah wrecking the Klan is the opposite of depressing.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Disgusting Coward posted:

This thread is a tad depressing.

"Sure, the game has reported issues, there's a review embargo and Mafia 2 was iffy at best and had been cut to ribbons for DLC purposes but omg i get to kill Klansmen take my money take it take all my cash."

Amazon just started doing the "20% off within two weeks of launch" thing in Canada which has me considering cancelling all my e3 sale preorders ironically (previously the only way to get 20% off). Definitely a bit worried about this one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

gently caress :( i didnt look close enough :(

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
gently caress it, game might suck but I'll buy it to enrage racists irl and kill them in game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Yeah, I mean it's right in the first game. There's that poignant ending credits theme where they tell you where gangsters go when they die.

And I can tell you where they don't go...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That was actually my first exposure to that song so when the local altrock station plays 90's things for lunch and that comes on I can't not hear it in a rap rendition.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah it is

Now I want a tiger stripe M79 unlockable paint job :v:

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I'm in the "Loved Mafia I and II so I'm onboard regardless" crowd. I did think the Drive from the north of the map to the south video looked a little murky around the edges, but between the sound track, the protagonist, the cars, the city that isn't New York/L.A. ( C'mon, who hasn't wanted to drive a fan boat through the Everglades ) I'm still hype as gently caress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 4, 2016

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Jeza posted:

for me Mafia 2 was a big disappointment. Didn't even bother to finish the game.

Good! Because I just beat it yesterday and it sucks. Deus Ex MD's out-of-nowhere middle-of-the-story ending has nothing on Mafia II's.

It's literally

*everyone gets into their cars*

"Good job killing Falcone."

"Thanks. Wait, where are you taking Joe?"

"He wasn't part of the deal. If you know what I mean."

"Oh." *stares angrily*

*pan to city, fade out*

I guess the rest of the game was okay? Short, but okay? Still, I'm looking forward to III.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
By the look of things they haven't crammed their open world full of boring, uninspired minigames at least. I could never get into GTA V much beyond the main storyline because there was nothing of real substance to do, that I'd expect from a crime oriented game. Triathlon? Yeah, okay...

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
To me it looks like this year's Shadow of Mordor in terms of being an open world game with clashing systems. Hopefully the race aspects aren't too dumb or tacky.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I don't expect it to be fantastic to be honest. But unless the story is absolute garbage I expect fans of the series to enjoy it at the very least.

But yeah, never pre-order a game (unless you can find it really cheap).

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Even if the driving is mediocre, as long as I can drive around blaring that soundtrack I'm gold.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Everyone that plays Mafia games plays them for the story. The problem is, Daniel Varva has nothing to do with this one and left the company after 2K sliced his Mafia 2 story to poo poo and back for DLC, which in turn had sent the story line into a pacing black hole of garbage.

What I would like to know is if there is a review embargo and copies aren't being sent out, how the hell did Angry Joe get a copy. To me, that smells like paid for promotion right there, and he hasn't been disparaging at all about the game. basically saying the only thing that gets stale after a while (And little variety) is taking over territory from other mobsters in side content.

With that said, we have a developer here that has stated none of the content has been cut for DLC this time around. So, we will see. Mafia 2 suffered big time because of that.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 4, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As much as people say it suffered I thought Mafia II at launch was perfectly fine. It's infuriating that they cut content from the game to make DLC but even without it the base game is fairly good. It simply could have been great instead.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

As much as people say it suffered I thought Mafia II at launch was perfectly fine. It's infuriating that they cut content from the game to make DLC but even without it the base game is fairly good. It simply could have been great instead.
This, I recently bought and played through 2 due to my looking forward to 3 and the main campaign honestly feels pretty complete. Like there's little indication that stuff got cut when it comes to the campaign proper. The only thing is that the ending feels super abrupt, like its obvious they killed Joe to satisfy the Triad but it just ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As abrupt as it is I never had a problem with the ending because it made sense.

• Locked thread