Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Mors Rattus posted:

What's the capsule summary there, whether Slants/Redskins is too common a word or is it about slurs?

It's whether the ban on "disparaging" trademarks is Constitutional or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
so with the new term starting on Monday, does anyone want to make a new thread

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

exploding mummy posted:

so with the new term starting on Monday, does anyone want to make a new thread

I think it's appropriate that the american people have a say in how the scotus thread is shaped going forward, so we're going to hold off on any new threads until after the next president is sworn in. Unless, of course, its Clinton and then we'll make a new thread in the lame duck session.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

More seriously, we might as well wait until the new justice is seated so that the OP doesn't have to be edited.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Mors Rattus posted:

What's the capsule summary there, whether Slants/Redskins is too common a word or is it about slurs?

Slants is an Asian rock band that wants to take back the term. Circuit court ruled ban on disparaging trademarks violates first amendment

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think it's appropriate that the american people have a say in how the scotus thread is shaped going forward, so we're going to hold off on any new threads until after the next president is sworn in. Unless, of course, its Clinton and then we'll make a new thread in the lame duck session.

This is the just and true way forward.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

EwokEntourage posted:

Slants is an Asian rock band that wants to take back the term. Circuit court ruled ban on disparaging trademarks violates first amendment

They granted cert on the Slants, but not the Redskins. It looks like they are going to overturn Slants.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Justices won't promise to rehear U.S. v Texas when they've got 9 justices again.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

patentmagus posted:

They granted cert on the Slants, but not the Redskins. It looks like they are going to overturn Slants.

The redskins case is before the 4th circuit. I know that the redskins asked the Supreme Court to combine, I'm not really sure what the procedure for that or how often they do that.

It does seem like they might overturn it. Maybe they'll try to enumerate a standard that actually works, because the disparagement, immoral or scandalous standard is pretty much untenable as it is now

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

EwokEntourage posted:

The redskins case is before the 4th circuit. I know that the redskins asked the Supreme Court to combine, I'm not really sure what the procedure for that or how often they do that.

It does seem like they might overturn it. Maybe they'll try to enumerate a standard that actually works, because the disparagement, immoral or scandalous standard is pretty much untenable as it is now

Gotta agree. The current standard is untenable. Hopefully we won't get another Alice/Mayo poo poo show.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

For a good laugh, just look at what other trademarks have been deemed acceptable https://thinkprogress.org/washingto...9ea7#.8ph760gh3

A short selection

quote:

TAKE YO PANTIES OFF clothing
DANGEROUS NEGRO shirts
SLUTSSEEKER dating services
DAGO SWAGG clothing
DUMB BLONDE beer
TWATTY GIRL cartoons
BAKED BY A NEGRO bakery goods
BIG TITTY BLEND coffee
RETARDIPEDIA website

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seems like that's pretty much admitting their they know the name is an ethnic slur. They may be LEGALLY CORRECT but it's somewhat flies in the face of their "honoring their native American coach's tradition" bullshit excuse.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Radish posted:

Seems like that's pretty much admitting their they know the name is an ethnic slur. They may be LEGALLY CORRECT but it's somewhat flies in the face of their "honoring their native American coach's tradition" bullshit excuse.

Are you saying that they should be denied a TM registration based on hypocrisy? Even if the TM is free speech under the 1st amendment?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

patentmagus posted:

Are you saying that they should be denied a TM registration based on hypocrisy? Even if the TM is free speech under the 1st amendment?

Nothing in my post implied that. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of their lovely excuse for a racist team name, which sounds somewhat valid to a layperson like myself, that they are more interesting in keeping for monetary reasons than holding on to their pathetic attempt at pretending they aren't a racist team name.

Personally I hope they lose the trademark because gently caress them though.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Radish posted:

Nothing in my post implied that. I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of their lovely excuse for a racist team name, which sounds somewhat valid to a layperson like myself, that they are more interesting in keeping for monetary reasons than holding on to their pathetic attempt at pretending they aren't a racist team name.

Personally I hope they lose the trademark because gently caress them though.

That lovely excuse works better in the Slants case anyway (because it's actually valid there), which is why it's a better case to use to figure out the standard

edit: that said, if Slants isn't allowed, there's no loving way Redskins is

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

EwokEntourage posted:

For a good laugh, just look at what other trademarks have been deemed acceptable https://thinkprogress.org/washingto...9ea7#.8ph760gh3

A short selection
SCOTUS Thread 2016: CONTEMPORARY NEGRO apparel

SCOTUS Thread 2016: CRIPPLED OLD BIKER BASTARDS

and so on

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I really, really hope Baked by a Negro is a black guy/gal making a poor taste joke for marketing purposes. Not because that makes it a better name but the alternative is just.... ugh.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MrNemo posted:

I really, really hope Baked by a Negro is a black guy/gal making a poor taste joke for marketing purposes. Not because that makes it a better name but the alternative is just.... ugh.

It is.

http://www.bakedbyanegro.com/about-us.html
http://rebecca4plainfieldcouncil.blogspot.com/

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Ok now I feel like a bit of a jackass. Nice history to that company then.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

MrNemo posted:

Turns out the pto Barely even considers the context of the trademark when approving or denying. Chances are whoever approved it didn't know who was baking what

3/4 don't look at context, 91% use dictionary definitions as primary evidence, 70% use only dictionary definitions

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 4, 2016

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

MrNemo posted:

Ok now I feel like a bit of a jackass. Nice history to that company then.

Nice *fictional history! I didn't look into it further, but the footnotes day that the history is fictional and ties in with some book an blog that they also have?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Stickman posted:

Nice *fictional history! I didn't look into it further, but the footnotes day that the history is fictional and ties in with some book an blog that they also have?

The history of the woman the company is calling back to is fictional. The owner of the company is apparently also a college professor and a councilwoman in New Jersey.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
While "Washington Redskins" may as well be "Florida Niggers" as far as how outrageously offensive the term is, it does seem like retroactively denying an existing trademark this far on is unprecedented. Does the team have a legal leg to stand on given that fact? 50 years is a long time. Should we be applying current community standards to old marks like that? Then again, I would think that a lot of companies re-brand if attitudes change enough that it is costing them business, and sports teams might be a little different. I can think of a few high schools that have changed the name of thier mascots due to it being offensive though so it isn't completely unheard of.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
My school kept the name ("Chiefs") but changed their logo to a fireman. :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My school kept the name ("Chiefs") but changed their logo to a fireman. :v:

Ahh yes, now you're doing the "fire axe chop" while making "siren noises"

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Mine, however, is and has always been the Indians. With a full on Redskin esque logo. As far as I know no one has ever raised a stink, but I'm also pretty sure we have no actual natives anywhere near by.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In my home state, there are two places called Blackman's bay.

One because a guy that first owned land there was called James Blackman.

The second because Aborigines.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There's a middle school here in Orlando which is named after Robert E Lee. I noticed last year they quietly removed the Lee mascot which was a characature of the General, but kept the name. I guess generally it gets referred to as just Lee Middle.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

therobit posted:

it does seem like retroactively denying an existing trademark this far on is unprecedented. Does the team have a legal leg to stand on given that fact?
You can read the court opinions and briefing on this point but the short answer is while an individual (such as a Native American) can waive their right to complain through long inaction, any given individual generally can't waive their right to complain until they turn 18 and reach the age of majority. As you might expect, every year more native Americans turn 18...

...obviously if we get a Supreme Court ruling on the point any new case would just say "done, see prior case."

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

therobit posted:

While "Washington Redskins" may as well be "Florida Niggers" as far as how outrageously offensive the term is, it does seem like retroactively denying an existing trademark this far on is unprecedented. Does the team have a legal leg to stand on given that fact? 50 years is a long time. Should we be applying current community standards to old marks like that? Then again, I would think that a lot of companies re-brand if attitudes change enough that it is costing them business, and sports teams might be a little different. I can think of a few high schools that have changed the name of thier mascots due to it being offensive though so it isn't completely unheard of.

Well, besides the issues of free speech raised in the federal circuit opinion in the slants case (in re tam), the redskin mark is/was incontestable. And a mark being disparaging is not grounds to revoke an incontestable mark. I haven't read their brief so I don't know if they raised this challenge

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

EwokEntourage posted:

And a mark being disparaging is not grounds to revoke an incontestable mark.

This is incorrect
Sec 2(a) grounds can always be raised:

Section 14 posted:

§1064 CANCELLATION OF REGISTRATION
A petition to cancel a registration of a mark, stating the grounds relied upon, may, upon payment of the prescribed fee, be filed as follows by any person who believes that he is or will be damaged, including as a result of a likelihood of dilution by blurring or dilution by tarnishment under section 1125(c) of this title, by the registration of a mark on the principal register established by this chapter, or under the Act of March 3, 1881, or the Act of February 20, 1905:
...(3) At any time if the registered mark becomes the generic name for the goods or services, or a portion thereof, for which it is registered, or is functional, or has been abandoned, or its registration was obtained fraudulently or contrary to the provisions of section 1054 of this title or of subsection (a), (b), or (c) of section 1052 of this title for a registration under this chapter...

Section 15 posted:

§1065 INCONTESTABILITY OF RIGHT TO USE MARK UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS
Except on a ground for which application to cancel may be filed at any time under paragraphs (3) and (5) of section 1064 of this title, and except to the extent, if any, to which the use of a mark registered on the principal register infringes a valid right acquired under the law of any State or Territory by use of a mark or trade name continuing from a date prior to the date of registration under this chapter of such registered mark, the right of the owner to use such registered mark in commerce for the goods or services on or in connection with which such registered mark has been in continuous use for five consecutive years subsequent to the date of such registration and is still in use in commerce, shall be incontestable

Section 2 posted:

§1052 TRADEMARKS REGISTRABLE ON PRINCIPAL REGISTER; CONCURRENT REGISTRATION
No trademark by which the goods of the applicant may be distinguished from the goods of others shall be refused registration on the principal register on account of its nature unless it
(a) Consists of or comprises immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter; or matter which may disparage or falsely suggest a connection with persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols, or bring them into contempt, or disrepute

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Deceptive Thinker posted:

This is incorrect

Thank you. So uh, nope, no leg to stand on. Should be fun watching the racists melt down on this one.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mavric posted:

Mine, however, is and has always been the Indians. With a full on Redskin esque logo. As far as I know no one has ever raised a stink, but I'm also pretty sure we have no actual natives anywhere near by.

Wasn't the Cleveland area the site of a massive native development in pre-columbian (or even pre-jacksonian maybe) times? Like there are still huge mounds and stuff.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Interesting. I don't actually do trademark law, I was just parroting what I heard for a well know ip lawyer that had been pretty high up in the pto. Doesn't look like he's alone in that thought tho http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=7e84a5e2-77a3-40d9-910b-40cc5ff71993

Denying a trade mark 50 years later on grounds that it should never have Been granted seems pretty bad, and seems like it would raise estoppel issues. But again, don't do ip law

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

therobit posted:

Thank you. So uh, nope, no leg to stand on. Should be fun watching the racists melt down on this one.

Well no leg to stand on except the first amendment. Which was the basis behind the court decision on The Slants, that §1052(a) is facially unconstitutional

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

This is incorrect

Laches is a separate equitable defense. The TTAB addressed it from pages 73-81 of their opinion.

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=92046185&pty=CAN&eno=199

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

ulmont posted:

Laches is a separate equitable defense. The TTAB addressed it from pages 73-81 of their opinion.

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=92046185&pty=CAN&eno=199

Laches has nothing to do with incontestability though and it's resolved by your own argument from above

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

esquilax posted:

Well no leg to stand on except the first amendment. Which was the basis behind the court decision on The Slants, that §1052(a) is facially unconstitutional

It is odd to me that the government choosing to not grant a monopoly on commercial use of a term is a restriction on speech. There's nothing that prevents them from monetizing it anyway, just that they would lack commercial exclusivity.

If anything I would have expected an equal protection claim on the basis that not granting the trademark is not giving equal judicial consideration to those who wish to trademark it as it does people who trademarked some of the other offensive terms above, particularly as the use of §1052(a) seems arbitrary and capricious instead of following well-defined rules.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It is odd to me that the government choosing to not grant a monopoly on commercial use of a term is a restriction on speech. There's nothing that prevents them from monetizing it anyway, just that they would lack commercial exclusivity.

If anything I would have expected an equal protection claim on the basis that not granting the trademark is not giving equal judicial consideration to those who wish to trademark it as it does people who trademarked some of the other offensive terms above, particularly as the use of §1052(a) seems arbitrary and capricious instead of following well-defined rules.

Well one of the concurrences focused on the arbitrary and discriminatory application so you've got some company there.

The main opinion focused on 1) it discriminates based on the expressive content of the message so it's strict scrutiny and 2) it would fail the intermediate scrutiny test on "commercial speech" because government disapproval isn't a sufficient interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd analogize it to that racially restrictive covenant case: trademark protection goes above and beyond mere disapproval to government endorsement of disparagement